Trump/Russia/SDNY investigation

walkinhop

I doubt that anyone is surprised by what is being revealed. The whole Trump campaign reeked of this stuff. What is surprising people is the way in which the case is evolving and in particular the fact that it looks like Mueller has indeed managed to get key people to incriminate themselves or cooperate. Things that had looked like they would not make it past the "it looks bad" stage may be approaching the legally provable, and others that looked like they would blow straight past Trump and his closest allies, are getting closer to the central players, and their scale is not diminishing to the trivial, or the coincidental.
Fair

Fergies Gum

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/04/boris-johnson-brexit-russia-trump?CMP=share_btn_tw

Their defence to this allegation was "Boris has never met said people" ... and along comes said photo.
Is this the statement you're referring to?

A Foreign Office source said: “The foreign secretary has not knowingly met this person, planned to meet this person, or indeed ever heard of this person before.”
If so, then i stand by my previous post.

Just because there's a photo of this guy with Boris at an event doesn't mean Boris knows the guy and Boris in all likelihood will have had no idea who this "professor" was when he was asked for a picture.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This briefing about the interviews they are doing with Clovis - that they’re trying to establish whether Trump had any knowledge of the contact with Russia when he was a candidate or president elect.

I might be way off but I can’t help but think Mueller’s team has already got testimony or evidence of that fact recently and is putting a bit of bait out there for Trump.

He’s stupid enough to try to distance himself, hang the ones already caught out to dry and to say publicly, probably through Twitter, something that drops the likes of Flynn, Manafort and Papadopoulos in the shit and absolves himself of blame.

The investigators always being one step ahead then follow up with the bombshell that they have proof that Trump was complicit or even directing the whole thing.

At that point his acknowledging the guilt of his minions can be flipped back onto himself - in his own words he’s admitted they are guilty and if that’s the case then logic suggests he must be as well.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Noticing a sudden surge in twitter accounts attempting to discredit the article. Must be Russian bots.

Tarrou

I guess there may have been one or two people in the world who still thought Wikileaks was impartial before they said this

“If we publish them it will dramatically improve the perception of our impartiality,”

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Noticing a sudden surge in twitter accounts attempting to discredit the article. Must be Russian bots.
It really is about time Twitter pull their finger out. I was reading how a couple of talented young ComSci students built a machine learning algorithm to suss out bots with the limited access they have to the Twitter APIand it had a 97% accuracy rate. With the access and resources Twitter have they could hit 99.9%+ and the unfortunate <0.01% that were mistaken for bots might have the inconvenience of having to pass a two phase security check.

The fact is that they don’t want to - mostly because their profits will be hit but as much as anything it’ll be incredibly embarrassing for them when the curtain is pulled back and the almighty Twitter is exposed as being driven by ghost traffic. It’s not just the actual fabricated tweets, it’s the collateral activity those tweets create.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It really is about time Twitter pull their finger out. I was reading how a couple of talented young ComSci students built a machine learning algorithm to suss out bots with the limited access they have to the Twitter APIand it had a 97% accuracy rate. With the access and resources Twitter have they could hit 99.9%+ and the unfortunate <0.01% that were mistaken for bots might have the inconvenience of having to pass a two phase security check.

The fact is that they don’t want to - mostly because their profits will be hit but as much as anything it’ll be incredibly embarrassing for them when the curtain is pulled back and the almighty Twitter is exposed as being driven by ghost traffic. It’s not just the actual fabricated tweets, it’s the collateral activity those tweets create.
Aye, the problem here for them won't necessarily be the bots but the scale of the whole thing. When you go down into the rabbit hole it's remarkably prevalent.

Simbo

I made a post in a brexit thread on r/ukpolitics and somebody posted something daft in reply. I clicked his username out of curiosity to see if this guy is some mad Brexit campaigner and to my surprise it was their first post. I tried replying to him but in the time it took me to write a sentence or two the account and post had been deleted. I imagine this is an example of Reddit's anti-bot/troll system at work?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I made a post in a brexit thread on r/ukpolitics and somebody posted something daft in reply. I clicked his username out of curiosity to see if this guy is some mad Brexit campaigner and to my surprise it was their first post. I tried replying to him but in the time it took me to write a sentence or two the account and post had been deleted. I imagine this is an example of Reddit's anti-bot/troll system at work?
Could be. Read posts on there occasionally and noticed someone had looked at a particular account and deduced that it was consistently active during Russian working hours (for up to 16 hours, indicating multiple users) and that it was silent during large parts of the day in the UK.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
@Raoul
You think anything major will come of all this, or is it mostly hope for now?

As in major in taking down or taking away some power from the Republicans/Trump administration.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
@Raoul
You think anything major will come of all this, or is it mostly hope for now?

As in major in taking down or taking away some power from the Republicans/Trump administration.
Hard to say. We're still fairly early in a lengthy process that could take years to resolve.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
The request that Assange should be appointed ambassador to the USA immediately brought to mind something very familiar...

feck me I can't belive it's been a year of this already

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Many people" = "Me and Nigel"

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Part of me sometimes thinks Trump might not have actually been involved, because he's so stupid and liable to say daft shite that if he had been we'd probably know by now.
Do you not remembering him literally recounting a conversation with Putin during the campaign?