Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

shahzy

I dont get the "he cant attack" comments. Did any of you see how shit we were? We couldnt even hold the ball. Why would a fullback go forward when we couldn't even keep possession, Its just asking to be countered.

And for those saying "oh but he isnt making overlapping runs". You might want to look at another team other than United once in a while. This is the new age of fullback. They are toldby managers to tuck inside and help the CDM when the other 2 CM's bomb further forward leaving the CDM by himself. Guardiola has been doing this for years at Bayern with Kimmich and then Zinchenko at City. Its pretty crazy how unaware our fans are of how football is played elsewhere other than the crap we have seen for the past decade

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I like him a lot. His attitude is brilliant and you can tell he has leadership in him. I love how he was berating some of his team mates when they made mistakes. Along with Varane and Martinez, our defence certainly is more vocal now and with better leadership. Maguire, Lindelof and Shaw were all too quiet and passive.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I dont get the "he cant attack" comments. Did any of you see how shit we were? We couldnt even hold the ball. Why would a fullback go forward when we couldn't even keep possession, Its just asking to be countered.

And for those saying "oh but he isnt making overlapping runs". You might want to look at another team other than United once in a while. This is the new age of fullback. They are toldby managers to tuck inside and help the CDM when the other 2 CM's bomb further forward leaving the CDM by himself. Guardiola has been doing this for years at Bayern with Kimmich and then Zinchenko at City. Its pretty crazy how unaware our fans are of how football is played elsewhere other than the crap we have seen for the past decade
That's a smart tactic, I like it. The FBs are closest, pretty easy to tuck in. If you have amazing FBs, that is. Could go bad without well rounded players.

Guapa

Looks great and the right age,definitely an upgrade on Shaw who's had more than enough time to prove himself here and has not taken it.
But this lad needs to watch his overcommitment against players who can drop a shoulder or he's gonna end up cost us penalties.

Great signing.

avgp_1

A lot of it was in the first half when we had a quite a lot of the ball. There were enough opportunities for him to part of the attack. Lots of teams play with inverted wingbacks, but being an inverted fullback doesnt mean that he cant be part of attack and especially occupy spaces when they open up. You still move into those spaces. Either with or without the ball. Whether it be Zinchenko at Arsenal or Cancelo at City, they all do it

And TBH he did move into those spaces a few times but he didnt do anything, either wasted the move or turned back passing inwards, sometimes inviting the press and ended up passing up back to the CBs. From memory he did get into the box once in the first half but he could have done it more

I dont like to be too critical of him as he is still new and adapting and accept that he will get better, but the idea that he couldnt have contributed more has to be shot down.

Leicester 0:1 Man Utd

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Should get more involves in offense. So still a bit erratic with his challenges at times. Solid other than that, aside from losing his man in injury time leading to that chance.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Was average in the first half, very poor in the second half.

Not a good outing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Gotta love his attitude and endeavour.

No idea what he was doing for their chance at the end though!

el3mel

Still will take him ahead of Shaw for the efforts alone but he's definitely not the finished article. A lot of room to improve.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Defensively he is good, his passing is good but he should make more runs. Hopefully it's just initial settling period.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He did fine and is settling into new surroundings which is not easy. We can't compare him to Evra at this stage because Evra was having a mare in his early United career and was being written off by many.

Conor

The positions he pops up in are hilarious, he's like a beagle off his lead.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I really like him!

Looked tired in the second half, should be probably rested earlier.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Better than Telles already, and prefer him to Shaw.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Will say again, his performances have been over praised for me and he needs to do so much more. Will also say again that I am confident that he will do better as he settles.

arnie_ni

What was he like in the final 3rd at his old club? Seems very poor there. Ends up with his back to goal getting ball to feet a lot. It's like he doesn't know where to go.

kundalini

Needs to be more careful with his passing. We gave the ball away cheaply so often.

Surprised he didn't run forward more often. There was a spell either side of half-time when no-one bothered to run.

Poor defending for their chance in injury time. Varane was covering the player on the ball so Malacia need to make sure the other player was marked.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What was he like in the final 3rd at his old club? Seems very poor there. Ends up with his back to goal getting ball to feet a lot. It's like he doesn't know where to go.
Far more adventurous. Looks like he's still a bit nervous or something.

He also really needs to lose the Jack Russell like enthusiasm leading to weird positioning and rash challenges.

Lentwood

I like his attitude and his aggression but he's not offering much going forward and he looks a little bit rash at times

New signings generally get to enjoy that 'honeymoon' period where fans look for the positives and ignore the negatives but I feel like whilst he's made an OK start, there's much to work on if he wants to be our starting LB long-term

Olecurls99

Got beaten a little easily a few times. Gave it away a few times but still very solid on the whole

Lost bear

Seems to be playing within himself but I really like him so far.
Tonight he did not have his best game, but I like him a lot and think he’ll develop into a real quality player. Incidentally, I was rather impressed with Dalot’s performance tonight. ETH seems to be turning him into a much more reliable player, aside from his obvious talent. All round, our defence is beginning to look pretty damn good. Of course, it’s early days and all that…

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

Abraxas

He's very tidy, isn't he?

Seems like a lad you can put in there and a 6.5 is the worst you'll get. You'll get effort end he's defending solidly.

Hopefully we can extract a little more from him. I get that he's tucking in a lot in buildup but there needs to be potential for him to make a difference in the final third. For now what he's doing is absolutely fine, hopefully he'll grow alongside the team.

AshRK

Still raw in some areas but his effort ia outstanding unlike Shaw. I hope shaw is permanently benched.

Kassadin

He seems a bit too risk averse in attack for my liking. Would like to see him run with the ball like Dalot does on the right flank.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Needs to learn to overlap. Him and Sancho seem to occupy the same space on the inside, getting in each other's way. I get the feeling he'll so better with Rashford whereas Shaw will be better with Sancho.

the_cliff

Needs to learn to overlap. Him and Sancho seem to occupy the same space on the inside, getting in each other's way. I get the feeling he'll so better with Rashford whereas Shaw will be better with Sancho.
Good point.

When Ronaldo came on and Rashford moved to the left he did get into better positions although his final ball did let him down a bit.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'll persist with him as first choice, he's the one for the future and I'll doubt anything good will come out of Shaw after this.

He has the tools to be great at going forward so I don't worry about that too much, he'll be ok.

Tarrou

I think we will find as the year goes on that he is what awb was for us two years ago, a good contributor defensively. He isn't English and wasn't 50m so won't attract the same scrutiny. Shaw is good with the ball but ultimately no end product so it probably is time to replace him. Malacia could improve to get there like AWB didnt
he's way better than AWB was on the ball though

also at progressing the play either through dribbling or passing

all things that are essential in a modern day full back

Status
Not open for further replies.