Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
I think it was Wolves wasn't it? I think Kenny Miller knocked it past him and Vida just shut the door on him lol

Could have happened more than once tbf but I do remember the Wolves incident because it was one of the most blatant and cynical fouls I have seen on a football pitch!
You're probably right. My memory isn't great.
It was totally blatant and cynical, but strangely satisfying to see from one of our own players too. :D Showed how committed he was to 'defending', despite the fact that he shouldn't have been in a position where he had to foul and take a booking. A bit like Herrera rugby tackling the guy in the midfield circle just to stop a counter. After the match he called it a great tackle lol.

CG1010

Looking past his performances in pre-season (rightly so) and once he gets settled, a ball playing CB would be such an important asset to the team especially when facing teams sitting deep at OT. All our other defenders are usually shit on the ball, except Blind who doesn't play there much. I look forward to seeing him when he is properly integrated with the team.

Lentwood

Is there anyone in the team you actually rate?
Not many if I am really honest! Only because I am holding them against the players who played in their positions growing up and have been spoilt.

I reckon Pogba and Dave are our only two world class players. Bailly, Rashford, Martial and Shaw fall into the "potential" category and the rest are good, or even very good, but just not Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes, Beckham, RvN, Rio, Vida etc etc....

Jose will sort it though given time

Cro

A bit underwhelming until now in my eyes. Doesn't mean that can't change, but he makes it to easy for attackers time and time again with his positioning. Thought today was the perfect time for him to impress, building up the play from the back in a calm way and show his qualities on the ball, but he didn't have more solutions than the others. It's a big step up and still early, but he needs to kick it up a notch as we need a solid partner alongside Bailly to challenge for titles.

AP88

Supports
Man City
A bit underwhelming until now in my eyes. Doesn't mean that can't change, but he makes it to easy for attackers time and time again with his positioning. Thought today was the perfect time for him to impress, building up the play from the back in a calm way and show his qualities on the ball, but he didn't have more solutions than the others. It's a big step up and still early, but he needs to kick it up a notch as we need a solid partner alongside Bailly to challenge for titles.
I don't see anything to work with really, regarding becoming a good defender. From what I've seen, he won't offer anything Blind doesn't, and I'd have Daley ahead of him as a central defender too, so it's a bit of a pointless signing IMO.

There might be scope to use him as a midfield anchor in the absence of Carrick or Matic, but beyond that, I would start him ahead of any cb options at the club, and would use Axel ahead of him too.

Dyslexic Untied

There was absolutely nothing from this game to judge him one way or the other. Simply had nothing to do.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Good summary. I agree.
There was absolutely nothing from this game to judge him one way or the other. Simply had nothing to do.
Unfortunately yes.

He doesnt look raw or anything, he seems to lack any sort of special raw quality. Hope he proves to be a decent ball playing CB very soon.
His main quality is that he's a excellent reader of the game and his decision making. I repeat what I said earlier that he looks bit low on confidence. Maybe he isn't ready yet, difficult to judge. What I can see is that IF he wants to establish himself as a starter from the start of the season then he needs to get back his confidence and start to believe in himself. At the moment he looks lost and his eyes signals insecurity.

He's lucky that our best centreback is suspended the first game otherwise he had to work his way into the first team from the bench, because ATM both Smalling and Tuanzebe looks like a better option next to Bailly.

el3mel

The guy isn't the same type of defender as Bailly, why no want don't just understand that ? He's not the explosive defender who will challenge for every ball, that's why we brought him while we have players of that explosive type as Bailly, Jones and to lesser extent Smalling. We need his calmness on the ball to cover for his partner's lesser ability to control the ball. He's not going to be Bailly 2 and that's obvious.

I think he's the type of the player that will start slowly then grows up in the team as the time passes. He's not at it 100% but he's definitely better than the first games of the preseason. I'm sure when he gets more confidence and grows into the team more he'll come good.

edcunited1878

LINDELOF'S PROGRESS SO FAR

"Step by step. Benfica is a giant club, I always think that players coming from Benfica come mentally ready because it is a big club and the responsibility to play for them makes players ready. But the Portuguese league is different and has different qualities. Benfica is one of the dominant teams, so he’s more used to playing with the ball than without the ball, so he needs his time and we are going to give him his time to develop. Such a young player needs time. Manchester United is a huge club with huge responsibility; the Premier League is the same. So let’s give him time, but we’re happy with what he is doing, step by step."

Loublaze

ATLien
So much kneejerk in this thread but I have to ask for those who've watched him more. What are his best attributes? I've read that he's a ball playing CB with an eye for a great pass and long balls and i've also heard others say he's a combatant CB in the mould of Vidic. Its only preseason but I havent seen any of that at all

An Irish Red

It's more difficult for a young defender to settle in; an attacker can have a mostly poor game and still be praised for a good run or a good pass. One mistake from a defender and that's it for that game.

We'll know a lot more about how good he actually is a few months in like.

xplatformjedi

Supports
Pittsburgh Steelers
People that have watched him on Benfica and his national team...be honest, is this pretty much how he's played DEFENSE on those teams as well? I've heard from someone who said they started watching what he was doing back in January when we thought we were getting him. The guy we see now is the guy he saw then.

The question will be, can Jose make him a better defender than he's been?

I'm not writing him off. I'm saying that as of today he's not better than Bailly or Smalling as a CB. And to be completely honest, when healthy Rojo is better than him (at defending) as well.

Time will tell if he can be better than he's been.

Loublaze

ATLien
People that have watched him on Benfica and his national team...be honest, is this pretty much how he's played DEFENSE on those teams as well? I've heard from someone who said they started watching what he was doing back in January when we thought we were getting him. The guy we see now is the guy he saw then.

I'm not writing him off. I'm saying that as of today he's not better than Bailly or Smalling as a CB. And to be completely honest, when healthy Rojo is better than him (at defending) as well.

The experts that were very vocal in the time during the speculation and leading to the announcement of the signing are very quiet now

Yakuza_devils

I hope I will be proven wrong, Lindelof looks worse than our reserve players like Tuanzebe, Fosu Mensah and etc.

Coming from Benfica he can't be that far worse off than our reserve players. Hopefully it's just nerves and some settling in period for him to step up. Finger crossed and I have trust in Mourinho on CB.

Mourinho admitted that Lindelof is still not ready and he will be given time to develop and prove himself here.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
To be honest, he is really a completely different player compared to watching him play for Benfica and Sweden. He really needs to work on his nerves and work on finding back to the player he was. Plays like he is so afraid of making mistakes, which pretty much destroys all his great qualities.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Looking at Tuanzebe right now, this is a no contest. You'd think Lindelof is the reserve youth coming up and going through the teething process.
Tuanzebe in the meantime, a commanding elegant stud.

Classical Mechanic

To be honest, he is really a completely different player compared to watching him play for Benfica and Sweden. He really needs to work on his nerves and work on finding back to the player he was. Plays like he is so afraid of making mistakes, which pretty much destroys all his great qualities.
It makes or breaks many players. I was worried about Pereira tonight also, he looked like he was trying too hard and got it all wrong.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Looking at Tuanzebe right now, this is a no contest. You'd think Lindelof is the reserve youth coming up and going through the teething process.
Yup.

kundalini

Better today but not involved that much. Looks unhurried in possession.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I think he is nervous more than anything, he is thinking too much while defending and not letting his natural defending skill take over. In posession he looks good, but he needs to be better in defending, I think once we have super cup game out of the way, he needs to train to play with bailly.

Paul_Scholes18

Looked fine today and seem to be improving in form. Although right now Jones and Bailly should be first choice. Hope he plays well against Real madrid. Will probably have to face Ronaldo a lot so that will be a big challenge.

legball

Once he settles down, he'll be sensational, some players need time, others settle in straightaway. It's Vidic MK II.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

The experts that were very vocal in the time during the speculation and leading to the announcement of the signing are very quiet now
?

I think he is nervous more than anything, he is thinking too much while defending and not letting his natural defending skill take over. In posession he looks good, but he needs to be better in defending, I think once we have super cup game out of the way, he needs to train to play with bailly.
This!

Below is Viggo against France in a WCQ from June 2017. Check his body language, see the guy who smiles and then compare that to the nerve wreck we see now.

Dazzmondo

Not that much to report today. He had 2 iffy moments I think. The point where he pulled the player down for a foul. He was right to make the foul but it was poor from him to let the player get in a position where he could run past him and expose the space behind in the first place. Then there was a moment where he came out to meet the Sampdoria winger but did not make a tackle and instead left a big gap between himself and Smalling which could have been exposed but thankfully wasn't really a problem. Other than that he was fine. Didn't really do anything particularly good but didn't do much wrong either. Still not convinced he's ready to start the season for us though. Better to give him more time to work with Jose in training and introduce him to the league gradually. Maybe he'd be better playing in some of the group stage games in Europe so he's still getting to link up with the defence regularly.

ti vu

The feel watching him is similar I have with Carrick. Slow starter in the season at new team. Work around his teammates to bring out a good team than he himself bringing it altogether to the table. It would be a longer learning curve than other type of player.

Seems like the speculation held some truth given he took awhile to make his mark at benfica & Sweden NT, but at the end he was able to become a prominent face in the teams.

AmanNits04

That's because Tuanzebe isn't under enormous amount of pressure to perform from the get go,he was brought up from the academy and is already settled here.In no way am i trying to undermine tuanzebe as he looks really good at this age and i would love for him to be one of the main player for us in the future but Lindelof has moved from a very different environment.It will take time for him to adjust and we should cut him slack.Remember Lindelof i only 22.He will come good in the end.

Reactions: Akshay

CG1010

Starting to settle in the club. Today he showed glimpses of his fine passing skills a couple of times.

pacifictheme

Anyone remember staam on debut in the charity shield against arsenal? Got torn apart.

He did ok in the end. Probably a bit early to judge lindelof chaps.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't understand why Jose hasn't tried him on the left side of the defence once all pre season.

Many of us believed he was signed as a LCB as he played there a lot at Benfica, and that would fit with Bailly being strongest on the right side.

I guess he mainly seems him for the RCB while Blind will play LCB in the 3-5-2.

chb23

Gotta find it funny that he is nicknamed the iceman for nerves of steel and that was one of his great qualities yet comes here and starts choking hard.

Anyway fingers crossed he comes good in a few months.

Loublaze

ATLien
Kinda surprised no one has mentioned him almost putting the ball past De Gea with his awkward clearance against Sampdoria

Status
Not open for further replies.