Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I remember the likes of Vidic coming in from a lesser league and being pretty shite for half a season before turning good. I'm giving Lindelof loads of time, because Mourinho picked him and the man knows his defenders.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good thing we all learned the value of patience back when Vidic and Evra joined, else some people might be overreacting to a handful of underwhelming performances.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Needs more time to settle in, but isn't doing himself any favours tonight. Makes way too many reckless mistakes, which you wouldn't expect from a Manchester United defender.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I remember the likes of Vidic coming in from a lesser league and being pretty shite for half a season before turning good. I'm giving Lindelof loads of time, because Mourinho picked him and the man knows his defenders.
That first 6 months with Vidic was like ridiculous. Remember thinking what a waste of £6m. :lol:

Baxter

He also played preseason games and looked equally shaky. I can't believe how poor this guy is. We should have got Laporte or Jonathan Tah instead. Maybe he could play in the midfield because he doesn't look like a defender.
So because he hasn't brought his best form immediately you know he's absolutely not good enough?

It's easier for more physical defenders to settle in to English football. He needs time, and thankfully our coaching staff aren't so knee jerk.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think we should have used the money and got a LB instead.

I don't think we needed another CB personally, but he might turn out to be a good buy. Still early days, though he has looked a bit shaky.

Nero

What's this? His third game? feck me, talk about giving him half a chance to settle in.
Worst part is that if and when he hopefully does become a good player we will have all that 'I admit I was wrong' and 'I hold my hands up' nonsense.

Which in itself isn't the bad thing, but you can guarantee within 2 minutes they will be straight into another under-performing player's thread and complaining about them not being good enough.

acnumber9

Good thing we all learned the value of patience back when Vidic and Evra joined, else some people might be overreacting to a handful of underwhelming performances.
Great examples. I remember similar defences for the likes of Bebe though. Two players coming good after a poor start doesn't mean you can't form an opinion on a completely different player.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I actually thought his passing today was quite good?
That's crazy talk. Sorry, but he made 2 superbly incompetent passes which put the player he was passing to under pressure(leading to loss of possession).

Additionally, his passing has no zip in the sense that he does not weigh them in enough to facilitate the intercepting player's ball and take it in stride.

The only other player at United with such limited passing is Smalling, but even then, he has enough sense not to pass at the back when he knows he can't make them.

LoneStar

He has time on his side and Jose will gradually bring him in. It's not like we have problems with our current starters anyway. With Rojo also joining the latter half of the season, we are pretty stacked in the CB department.

Does look like a player who's confidence is shot though. He's a very young player, so I wouldn't worry about him. Having said that, today's first half performance has been very bad. Expect more from him, especially considering the opposition.

SteveW

Really bad again. Really weak and shaky. Poor in posession also. Needs more time it seems.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think we should have used the money and got a LB instead.

I don't think we needed another CB personally, but he might turn out to be a good buy. Still early days, though he has looked a bit shaky.
We're currently quite dependent on the fitness of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling. With that in mind I'm very happy we have another CB hanging around.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Great examples. I remember similar defences for the likes of Bebe though. Two players coming good after a poor start doesn't mean you can't form an opinion on a completely different player.
Nope. Giving him a few more games before declaring him a total waste of money would seem prudent though. I mean people don't actually have to form a rock solid opinion after three appearances.

Paul_Scholes18

Not his best day, but we are dominating totally so hard to judge him. Give him time people he played well in the champions league in my view as well.

lawliet354

This is even greater example, comparing Lindelof to Bebe, one comes from Benfica who is Portuguese champion and signed by the manager who is a regular watcher of the league, and one is coming from somewhere unknown and even the manager himself admit never once saw him play

Andersons Dietician

Just looks like he hasn't quite adjusted to the aggression and pace of the league yet. Certainly done some nice things but for me it's just a matter of time.

JMack1234

He's still a while away by the looks of things if it was a decent opponent that mistake could of really cost us. It's an ever increasing worry just how flaky we actually are at CB if you ask me. A top team really needs to have four top quality centre halves and we've got,

Jones- I quite like him actually but he's injury prone and always has a stupid mistake in him
Lindelof- Probably going to be very good in time but at the moment looks a while away
Bailly- Solid probably our best bet
Smalling- Good at many things but is a bomb scare as soon as he gets the ball at his feet in a vulnerable position.

Nicklas

It's always the same story when it comes to Victor;

Poster A: He's fecking shite!
Poster B: Let's give him time, remember Vidic and Evra?
Poster C: I'ma give him time, because Mourinho never gets defenders wrong!

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He seems a bit of a quiet sensitive guy, his confidence is shot as he thought he'd just slot in as Bailly's partner I think (atleast thats what most papers, podcasts etc insinuated), so he is playing worse than he can.

Give him some time, at least another year before you can judge.

izec

He needs to give up this ball playing shite and start doing some proper CB work i.e. positioning, heading, strength and 1vs1. Send him to the gym every day, bombard him with long balls and crosses in training and let him defend vs Martial, Rashford and Lukaku 1vs1 in training to get him up to speed. He wont have time forever, in 2 or 3 years he could end up being sold to some average Bundesliga side for 10m. Ball playing skills cant get you too far in the Premier League if the rest of your CB game is average.

acnumber9

Nope. Giving him a few more games before declaring him a total waste of money would seem prudent though. I mean people don't actually have to form a rock solid opinion after three appearances.
It doesn't always take too long to see whether somebody is much good at football. We could all be wrong but the truth is he's looked pretty shit so far.

acnumber9

This is even greater example, comparing Lindelof to Bebe, one comes from Benfica who is Portuguese champion and signed by the manager who is a regular watcher of the league, and one is coming from somewhere unknown and even the manager himself admit never once saw him play
I didn't compare him to the player. Just that the attitude that we shouldn't make quick judgements and Evra and Vidic being used as examples can be flipped. I could use Depay as an example if it would help unbunch your underwear.

Last edited:

AndyJ1985

However good he may or may not become, the fact of the matter is right now he looks rubbish.

poacher

It's always the same story when it comes to Victor;

Poster A: He's fecking shite!
Poster B: Let's give him time, remember Vidic and Evra?
Poster C: I'ma give him time, because Mourinho never gets defenders wrong!
I am poster A how about you?

PoTMS

We've been royally screwed by Benfica with Lindelof. He honestly looks half as good as Tuanzebe and is my last choice at CB at the moment. He's painfully average and I hope we can Schneiderlin him as I can't really see where he excels.
/kneejerk

el3mel

I'll try not to be harsh, but he's really a terrible defender tbh and it's not nervousness. This guy doesn't boost me with any confidence in any challenge or defensive situation.

You can't play a defender because you pass the ball well. You need to first do your fecking defending basics first.

Kapardin

When Rojo comes back, he will be 5th in the pecking order. Dunno how he will even have a chance to improve with 4 CBs ahead of him.

We should have spent that money on a FB. Expect Jose to buy some duds occasionally, nothing out of the norm for any manager.

Zoo

He needs to get stronger. Mourinho knows his stuff with defenders and I think we won't see Lindelof really delivering as hoped until next season.

The United

It is important not to overreact his very not decent performance.

But, I have to say he is pretty weak in the air which will make him fail if he does not improve especially in PL.

Kag

I'm all for giving him time to settle, but at present he does look fairly shite. Not an inherently bad defender, just a little... weak.

But, let's wait and see before this becomes a concrete view.

Status
Not open for further replies.