Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

So he made a challenge that didn't didn't lead to the Italians getting a chance on goal and he lost the ball upfield which didn't lead to anything?

That's some post worthy stuff.
He made one stupid challenge on the edge of the box which sent an italian in to a clear cut chance but someone made a perfect last ditch tackle. He was a lucky lad there.

He did play well though. Difficult to go a full match without being tested by the opposition.
Stain is right.

Charles Miller

He will not become a bad player suddenly. I still believe he will be a top passing defender here.
A CB cant show weakness or people will never forget.
Attacking players can go months in bad form and we dont lose our hopes, but the defensive positions are so critical that make fans insecure.

Also i hope this thread keep going because there're some poetic pieces here.

Canagel

I'm starting to think that we should try him out at DM where he could utilize his passing ability and distribution much more. He reminds me a lot about David Luiz, very good with the ball at his feet but can make silly mistakes every now and again. Mourinho even played Zouma at DM once and he did very well there I remember so it's worth a try.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Didn't impress me. There were 2 cases in the first half where a lobbed ball caught him by surprise due to bad positioning.
Sounds harsh but to be playing at United you need to be pretty much flawless and you can't be having these types of errors even if it just one or two a game on a regular basis as it only takes a few chances to be costly at this end of the game.

poacher

Sounds harsh but to be playing at United you need to be pretty much flawless and you can't be having these types of errors even if it just one or two a game on a regular basis as it only takes a few chances to be costly at this end of the game.
Like the two mistakes at Huddersfield leading to two goals and three points dropped. I hope Lindelof proves people wrong and goes on to become a great at United but I personally don't see it happening. Poor positioning, tackling and aerial ability aren't caused by adapting to a new league or confidence as these are the basics of being a defender.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Like the two mistakes at Huddersfield leading to two goals and three points dropped. I hope Lindelof proves people wrong and goes on to become a great at United but I personally don't see it happening. Poor positioning, tackling and aerial ability aren't caused by adapting to a new league or confidence as these are the basics of being a defender.
Nerves, having a foggy mind, feeling anxious.. I can certainly see these things having an impact on decision making. It does take time to adapt to aerial game in england.

So I do sympathise with him, just think any reports of him having good games, should be games where he has been error free. You can't have 80 minutes of decent play and 10 minute spell of brain farts, that isn't a good defensive performance.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
He only made one mistake as far as I remember, and that was the missed header. The first goal was mainly Mata's fault for losing possession of the ball in a dangerous situation.

In 1 vs 1 you're supposed to fall back which Lindelöf did, only no team mate came to the rescue.

Reactions: Penna

Litch

I know what you mean but haven't you been watching the rest of our defenders over the last few years? It's DDG that's pulled them out of the SH1T. Jones and Smalling are always one kick away from a cock up.....

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
How do we have any defenders at the club? Jones and Bailly made costly mistakes against Stoke, too.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
How do we have any defenders at the club? Jones and Bailly made costly mistakes against Stoke, too.
Every defender can make errors but if in every game you are always caught out posotionally then that is a massive worry. Not saying that this is a permanent feature of his game but the best defenders can put together long spells of games of flawlessness or very minimal positional lapses.

In modern football that is hard to find. Nevertheless ATM his form is not good enough and remains to be seen if he can overcome the lapses.

Di Maria's angel

Every defender can make errors but if in every game you are always caught out posotionally then that is a massive worry. Not saying that this is a permanent feature of his game but the best defenders can put together long spells of games of flawlessness or very minimal positional lapses.

In modern football that is hard to find. Nevertheless ATM his form is not good enough and remains to be seen if he can overcome the lapses.
Up until 2015, most of our defenders had been crap for years. Credit to van Gaal (I think) for sorting Smalling and Valencia out; Mourinho has done well with Jones, Bailly and Rojo, too. Whats to say he can't do the same for Lindelof? Are you not exaggerating the laspes? He had one bad game against Huddersfield, did he not? He has performed well in the CL.

Paul_Scholes18

Which are these top defenders that are flawless? Varana and Ramos makes mistakes all the time. Same with Pique. If we had them they would be slaughtered here. Stones and Otamendi people have been attacking a lot of the time too. I guess Chiellini rarely make any, but who else? David Luiz? Certainly not!

Best defender in the world for me when fully fit would be Boateng, but even him make mistakes at times. Although he makes up for it with other qualities.

I think people here have a very flawed view of reality thinking everyone else is better than what we have constantly. Best defensive record in europe and people still think our defenders are shit.

Paul_Scholes18

Up until 2015, most of our defenders had been crap for years. Credit to van Gaal (I think) for sorting Smalling and Valencia out; Mourinho has done well with Jones, Bailly and Rojo, too. Whats to say he can't do the same for Lindelof? Are you not exaggerating the laspes? He had one bad game against Huddersfield, did he not? He has performed well in the CL.
Total over the top. How did we win all those titles with the crappy defense under SAF. I also think in general most people wanted us to improve the midfield first of all and find a better partner to Carrick. Second we wanted another top winger since we all missed Ronaldo. Ferdinand and Vidic declined near the end and under Moyes played terribly, but Smalling and Evans played really well if I remember and Jones well was injured, but played well when fit.

I think people have created this reality with all our players being shit under Moyes. The problem was it was not mainly the players fault like Moyes did keep on saying, but the fact he was not a good manager. Yes we needed some attacking star improvement, but we had a lot of good players.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Who is saying he can't? re-read my posts, at no stage did I say Lindelof should be written off. The only thing I said was that I don't think a performance with positional lapses can be called a good performance. Simples.

Which are these top defenders that are flawless? Varana and Ramos makes mistakes all the time. Same with Pique. If we had them they would be slaughtered here. Stones and Otamendi people have been attacking a lot of the time too. I guess Chiellini rarely make any, but who else? David Luiz? Certainly not!

Best defender in the world for me when fully fit would be Boateng, but even him make mistakes at times. Although he makes up for it with other qualities.

I think people here have a very flawed view of reality thinking everyone else is better than what we have constantly. Best defensive record in europe and people still think our defenders are shit.
Modern defenders like I said, are not really flawless. I alluded to it above, thats why I don't really think there are that many good defenders in the modern game if any.

I think individually our defenders are a tier below european rivals, and centre back wise, domestically we are in a better position than any of our rivals but it is full back where we are lacking in real quality both in terms of First XI and depth. Defensive record is helped with us playing in a very defensive manner, Chelsea also benefit from this due to 5 man defence but lack top tier defensive individuals.

Alabaster Codify7

I also thought about possibly trying him out in the DM role given people rave about his passing ability, but a DM needs a bit of physicality and grit about them - Lindelof doesn't seem to have any.

Di Maria's angel

Who is saying he can't? re-read my posts, at no stage did I say Lindelof should be written off. The only thing I said was that I don't think a performance with positional lapses can be called a good performance. Simples.
To be fair, you said that no defender at United should ever make these kind of errors. I guess what I'm saying is that he can definitely iron them out.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm 100% sure Lindelof is quality. It's obvious he is struggling with nerves ATM and I'm sure that once he settles in he will show his quality on a regular basis.
He had a good game but this is beyond nerves, even at Benfica he was prone to mistakes. There’s something blatantly poor with his aerial ability.

Di Maria's angel

Total over the top. How did we win all those titles with the crappy defense under SAF. I also think in general most people wanted us to improve the midfield first of all and find a better partner to Carrick. Second we wanted another top winger since we all missed Ronaldo. Ferdinand and Vidic declined near the end and under Moyes played terribly, but Smalling and Evans played really well if I remember and Jones well was injured, but played well when fit.

I think people have created this reality with all our players being shit under Moyes. The problem was it was not mainly the players fault like Moyes did keep on saying, but the fact he was not a good manager. Yes we needed some attacking star improvement, but we had a lot of good players.
It's not over the top. Our defense hasn't been great for a long time. 2012/13, we leaked goals all over the place - 2 against Southampton, 2 against Villa, 3 against Reading (in 20 minutes) and many more.

We were an utter shambles under Moyes - 2 at home to WBA, 3 at home to City, 3 at home to Pool, 3 away to Chelsea - want more?. And we were slightly better in 14/15 but still very susceptible to the odd (several?) mistake. 15/16 we improved a little more but mainly because we hogged the ball all game yet looked like conceding from every opposition attack. Over the last two years, we've minimised the mistakes and this season, we look as solid as ever - you know, best defense in Europe, not conceded open goals at OT in all of 2017, not conceded at home in the PL.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
To be fair, you said that no defender at United should ever make these kind of errors. I guess what I'm saying is that he can definitely iron them out.
I didn't say that. I said to be a good defender, having positional lapses or 10 min bad spells regularly is not good enough for a top top club.

At the moment every game he plays, he has bad spells in each game so that clearly needs to be sorted out.

In modern game every defender seems to have games where they have positional lapses but even so Bailly for example will have a spell of form where he looks perfect and then a spell where keeps losing his head. Lindelof losing his head in every game so far - so hopefully he settles and can string a few games with no mistakes for 90 mins and build some confidence.

Plato

Still passed the ball straight to El Shawaray for no reason near the end.

That said, hopefully one day "number two" will only describe his shirt number and not his football abilities.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman

That said, hopefully one day "number two" will only describe his shirt number and not his football abilities.
This is the negative shit we see in the player performances threads every fecking game. He was bloody good tonight, that's all that matters.

Devil81

I have to say I thought he was a passenger in their defence tonight. Lustig and Granqvist were the true defensive warriors in that display.

Happy for the lad though.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I have to say I thought he was a passenger in their defence tonight. Lustig and Granqvist were the true defensive warriors in that display.

Happy for the lad though.
Must admit I didn't notice him which is surely a positive?

el3mel

Should carry this confidence with us when he returns, but I won't get my hopes up.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
He was shit.
That's a bit unfair isn't it? I mean Sweden played roughly 200 minutes against Italy without conceding a goal. I think Lindelöf did well tonight, not as good as in Stockholm, but he did well.

poacher

You win the internet with that comment. I hope Lindelof becomes a world class defender but I just can't see it. If this was City Pep would have already washed his hands of him and be planning to sign Kalidou Koulibaly or Milan Škriniar in January. I would not buy players from Benfica again as they stitched us up. I believe Kostas Manolas is available for free next summer and Jonathan Tah has a release clause of just 22m, we could get both and shift Lindelof and Smalling and our defensive options would improve immensely.

simmee

You win the internet with that comment. I hope Lindelof becomes a world class defender but I just can't see it. If this was City Pep would have already washed his hands of him and be planning to sign Kalidou Koulibaly or Milan Škriniar in January. I would not buy players from Benfica again as they stitched us up. I believe Kostas Manolas is available for free next summer and Jonathan Tah has a release clause of just 22m, we could get both and shift Lindelof and Smalling and our defensive options would improve immensely.
I hope they reinstate the newbie section and put you in there alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.