Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

podurban2

Forgive me but where have these pundits seen him in a back 3 before? If I’m not mistaken at Benfica it was a back 4 and they conceded a stupidly low amount of goals last season. Sweden don’t play as a back 3 do they?
Sweden do not, no. We have played a CB (Lustig or Lindelöf) as RB but never a pure three CB line-up from what I can recall. It’s always 4-4-2.

Andersons Dietician

Sweden do not, no. We have played a CB (Lustig or Lindelöf) as RB but never a pure three CB line-up from what I can recall. It’s always 4-4-2.
So basically all these pundits are speaking rubbish or are basing it off of the 1 or 2 times he’s been in a back 3 for us.
He has looked more like the player that was at Benfica over the last few games and maybe it’s just a case of him feeling more confident and settled within the team other than just the 3 at the back. Although I’d quite like to see more of that system as for me that is the best our defence has looked since Jose took over. Proper defending.

Loublaze

ATLien
Think some pundit mentioned that he plays better in a 352. I'm not one for tactics, but I do remember the last time he played in the same system, think it was in the CL, he also got praise. I guess they're right since I thought he did a great job yesterday. Anyone know if he's fast, relatively speaking for a CB?
That was Gary Neville. He mentioned it at least three times

manunajted

dickhead reply. oh great non average, informed, and sober supporter with all the clues about what's going on. :lol: clown

lindelof got turned and twisted on at least two 1-v-1s, his reaction speed wasn't the greatest on at least a couple occasions too, and your ad hominems won't change that. If you read the thread (this one and the matchday) you'll see i wasn't the only one that noticed these instances, but go on put on a show for redcafe

i did say this was an improvement on what he's done here largely
Just because one or two posters agrees with you doesn't mean it's true when in fact the vast majority actually have a different opinion - which is something you should have had in mind before telling me to read the thread:lol:

Compare it with Rojos performance, one of his mistakes lead to a penalty that resulted in a goal. That is something to be criticized for.
You just can't point out small mistakes that lead to nothing, especially when the guy it concerns had a terrific overall game.

Every footballer makes some mistakes every game which you clearly doesn't understand, and that's why I think you have zero understanding of the game.

Last edited:

Reiver

He looks like he's starry to find his feet. Thought he was excellent in the first half against Watford. He defended well and made some good contributions with the ball at his feet. We've not had that since Rio.

A-man

So basically all these pundits are speaking rubbish or are basing it off of the 1 or 2 times he’s been in a back 3 for us.
He has looked more like the player that was at Benfica over the last few games and maybe it’s just a case of him feeling more confident and settled within the team other than just the 3 at the back. Although I’d quite like to see more of that system as for me that is the best our defence has looked since Jose took over. Proper defending.
He hasn’t played in a back 3 before. Actually he even said after the Galaxy game that it was new to him but it felt good. However lots of his qualities are perfect for that system.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Thought he was fine. Loved his solid tackle late on in the game.

What I don't get is why Jose doesn't try him on the left of the centre backs. I'm pretty sure he played there for Benfica, and sometimes plays there for Sweden.
He prefers the right side. This was known from his time at Benfica, when he didn't get forward/come up with passes nearly as often when played on the left.

TsuWave

Just because one or two posters agrees with you doesn't mean it's true when in fact the vast majority actually have a different opinion - which is something you should have had in mind before telling me to read the thread:lol:

Compare it with Rojos performance, one of his mistakes lead to a penalty that resulted in a goal. That is something to be criticized for.
You just can't point out small mistakes that lead to nothing, especially when the guy it concerns had a terrific overall game.

Every footballer makes some mistakes every game which you clearly doesn't understand, and that's why I think you have zero understanding of the game.
I don't know if the eagerness to come off as a "clued in, non-average supporter"(comical) led to your leaps in logic and reading comprehension failing you or if its something else. Not once did I state or imply that mistakes are inherent or solely reserved to/for Lindelof so your conclusion that I have zero understanding of the game based on such an unfounded and ridiculous assumption is laughable to me, like the rest of this exchange really. The fact you deemed it "clearly" is even more :lol:

The notion that a player can't/shouldn't be criticized for mistakes all because they led to nothing is so mind boggling that i can't even process it adequately. If that was a widespread attitude, players, teams, hell, anyone, would never improve and actualize their potential. See? another laughable statement.

I said I didn't think he played well fully aware that it was an opinion diverging from the thread majority, and mentioned things i thought he was poor and can/should improve upon to explain the rationale behind my first assertion, then mentioned others highlighting the same mistakes I did as corroboration, that itself, lays your ad hominem filled first post to me to rest, and if you can't see that then i can't help you.

Sure, we could debate the validity of my first assertion seeing as its generally accepted here that he had a good game, but perhaps there's a difference in standards and expectations? and regarding that I can tell you, off the top, that mine won't change, which would ultimately render such exchange moot. Besides, I did deem his performance an improvement from him.

now move along, as I have no particular inclination for partaking in these "student of the game, non average supporter" showcases. Be safe, and let's just hope Lindelof keeps improving.

SambaBoy

Thought he played very well last night, some praise has been slighly over the top, there was time where he was beaten too easily and it could have led to a goal, but his positioning, reading of the game and bringing the ball out the back was excellent to see. Didn't get dominated in the physical duels or in the air which has been a problem with him thus far, I feel he is adapting well to the English game and he will be a very good player next season.

criticalanalysis

It just shows what a bit of direction and instruction can do to one's confidence/game. He was VERY clearly told to man mark Richarlison and don't give him space, which worked very well.

Just wish we have a bit more guile and direction from Mourinho in the build up play and attacking side.

Klean

Worst man marking job in memory. He's done nothing to stop Sanchez from running the game.
We must not be watching the same game. Sanchez was in his pocket in the first half and has since switched flanks to have a go at Rojo now.

Classical Mechanic

We must not be watching the same game. Sanchez was in his pocket in the first half and has since switched flanks to have a go at Rojo now.
You have to be joking? Sanchez has been running the game for Arsenal. He's had the third highest amount of touches for Arsenal, second highest amount of shots and the most key passes for Arsenal.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
You have to be joking? Sanchez has been running the game for Arsenal.
The thing is that you believe that a centre back should take on technical players like Sanchez. Take a look at Koscielny and his attempt at stealing the ball from Pogba, didn't work great did it?

Man-United

Great clearence again. Nice to see him doing this good against quality players.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Did much better when he was tasked with clearing the ball from his box in the second half.

A thankless task following Sanchez when he's going so deep to receive the ball. Thought he was fine overall.

kundalini

He was ok. Half the team didn't seem to understand the instructions, whatever they were. Hard to judge without knowing what Lindelof was told to do.

arthurka

Was very good in the first half.. But we fell to deep in the second.. Very solid performance from him..

criticalanalysis

You have to stop him from playing, like Tuanzebe did when they came to OT last season.
This. It's encouraging that Lindelof had a decent game and this will help him build form/confidence but he should have been a bit tighter.

Although saying that, 1) Sanchez is an elite player with those first touch turns and drop of the shoulders 2) I don't think Lindelof is that athletic to be able to play tighter (but he still could have done better).

I would like to see more passing from him though, he played a couple of nice forward balls.

On a separate note, I really hope we see more of Tuanzebe. He's an elite talent.

Classical Mechanic

This. It's encouraging that Lindelof had a decent game and this will help him build form/confidence but he should have been a bit tighter.

Although saying that, 1) Sanchez is an elite player with those first touch turns and drop of the shoulders 2) I don't think Lindelof is that athletic to be able to play tighter (but he still could have done better).

I would like to see more passing from him though, he played a couple of nice forward balls.

On a separate note, I really hope we see more of Tuanzebe. He's an elite talent.
I think people tend to view the game through the result. All our defenders were poor today in some way or another. Lindelof couldn't deal with Sanchez, Rojo was giving away dangerous fouls and Smalling was in danger of giving away a pen. There were some good blocks but Arsenal had 33 attempts! If it were not for De Gea and Arsenal's poor finishing we probably would have lost today. I like to see Lindelof and Rojo dropped for Jones and Bailly for the City game.

Jaybomb

He’s quality.

Have to laugh at those morons who were writing him off after TWO GAMES. Idiots.

dogwithabone

Some rushed half clearances in the first half but then again we were defending desperately at times.

Looks calm and assured though and you can see there’s a very good player flourishing.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Another decent performance, looks composed more than Rojo and smalling who i think were too rash and lapsed for arsenal's goal. Rojo i think was particularly bad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems to be much better when on the front foot and getting tight, rather than trying to hold his position and playing in a line.

It's a good sign anyway, seems like his nightmare start is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.