Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

Grammar Police
Him and Lingard were head and shoulders the best players in the first half. The whole team were garbage in the second half but Rooney was probably marginally less shite than some of them.
He was one of the main reasons we were shit in the second half

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Him and Lingard were head and shoulders the best players in the first half. The whole team were garbage in the second half but Rooney was probably marginally less shite than some of them.
Meh, I thought he was decent in the first half and had some very good moments, but nothing particularly spectacular. I'd probably give the nod to Smalling and Blind for being our best players. His first half performance was decent, aye, but still only that. Not enough to excuse for a very good second half performance.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
His obsession with passing to the right does my head, there was a moment when he got the ball in a lot of space with Martial making a great run down the middle but he delayed the pass and then passed it right to Lingard

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Also how the feck did he end up in central midfield again? Can we stop this terrible prank that keeps getting played every now and then where Wayne Rooney is considered a midfield of some quality. He's barely a footballer of some quality these days, let's not make it even worse by putting him in midfield. Please.

Born2Lose

For your sarcasm to work, someone would have had to actually say that...
Like you did when you said he was one of our better players? Which I read as not therefore being the worst.

I genuinely thought we played better without him against Watford.

m1y2

I can't believe he's still in the team after four months of dross. I genuinely fear he'll just keep playing the whole way through the season, without anybody questioning his performances.
funny thing is that commentators never question his ability neither were today.. everybody else but not him, only after he played one of his hollywood balls after being 75 minutes invisible/shit (people in fact try to claim he worked hard, he was fecking lost on the pitch again) only after tht ball you could here the same shit again. Wayne rooney was alwys the plyer who came to rescue for Manchester United over the years, I would punch them in their fecking faces, bellends..

again and again hilarious stuff from them and people in the end strt to believe tht this some sort of good performance is top of the cake. It is just fecking mentl, if anything we needed captain to act in the second half, to arouse the team being top of them if they were not performing. You would never seen anything like this if Keano was here..

..and Pereira who is much more fit let alone his ability is rotting on the bench again

DocRockter

He wasn't supposed to play the whole game after the sickness.. He created enough chances for others to win the game but himself wasn't much of a danger. The last 10-15 mins was pure survival.

Sir A1ex

Also how the feck did he end up in central midfield again? Can we stop this terrible prank that keeps getting played every now and then where Wayne Rooney is considered a midfield of some quality. He's barely a footballer of some quality these days, let's not make it even worse by putting him in midfield. Please.
He reminds me of late-Gerrard. Convinced that he's going to save the day with some massive Hollywood ball, but actually achieves nothing.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
His first half performance gives me hope. Let's see.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
His first half performance gives me hope. Let's see.
It gives me a bit of hope that he's not completely finished and can still be a decent player, but it's disappointing that we've sunk to a level where him just being decent is what we're hoping for. I certainly can't see him being a key, world class player anymore...which is the exact role he's expected to fill.

Born2Lose

He wasn't the worst player on the pitch. Now read the rest of that bit of your post I put in bold.
Hey, If all you want from our best paid player every game is that he isn't the worst player on the pitch, then good for you. It's doubtful we'll ever agree on anything based on that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
he was OK tonight.

Let down by weak midfielders behind him and wasteful attacking players in front of him.

Bwuk

Done ok until the subs and he had to move into midfield where he was dross. Was doing fine in the hole until the subs came on and ruined the shape.

Ixion

He did alright in the first half but he is very rarely a threat these days. If he goes through a game without a shot on goal it's not even a surprise no matter what position he plays.

ZDwyr

Was probably our second best player in the first-half. Liked what I saw actually. Good first touch, good passing, and some good balls into the box. He faded in the second and was a bit sloppy but it was encouraging. Although I think you can see that he is not going to be a match winner anymore, he has lost that dynamism. He can still contribute though.

Devil may care

He offers next to nothing, the fact he's our supposed top attacker is perhaps the main symptom of our lifeless football, when you compare him to the top dogs at the elite clubs he's like a one legged mongrel with fading eyesight.

m1y2

His obsession with passing to the right does my head, there was a moment when he got the ball in a lot of space with Martial making a great run down the middle but he delayed the pass and then passed it right to Lingard
I remember the moment, thats one of the many reasons why he cant play there, herrera would have quickly turned nd released the strieker stright away. rooneys not good enough to start at any position and I could find better and more promising plyers to fit on the bench ahead of him too.. hes so done its unbelie´vable, only luis cant see it, or ignores that becuse he ocne said he wont bench captain. Is he just frid not to look a bit silly with breaking this statemen or losing the dressing room, it cant be fecking worse... we would hae for his salary 5 better players and its not a joke

Jonno

The only way you will get a past his peak Rooney to score goals is to keep him up top and have the midfielders constantly give him the ball in the box or on the edge of the box. Like Newcastle used to do for Shearer towards the end of his career. This doesn't happen and as a result he gets 1 chance per game and people on here kick off that he's not scoring.

We then drop him to midfield (is that Rooney's fault?) to accommodate a fecking tree up top who's only asset is to control the ball and set somebody for a shot, and he can't control the ball, he just loses possession and gives away free kicks. Terrible decision to bring Fellaini on in my opinion. We need to bring players on with technical ability like Herrera.

We missed Carrick's passing.

Ludens the Red

I was planning on coming in here and saying he had a good first half and was maybe building on his good England performance ................................................ but then the second half happened.

That tiny bit of hope that Rooney could return, evaporated with as bad a 45 minutes as he's had all season.

clarkydaz

He reminds me of late-Gerrard. Convinced that he's going to save the day with some massive Hollywood ball, but actually achieves nothing.
this Rooney pass to the wing with a 35% pass rate, has become the stuff of legend for me. I actually wince at the games now when he tees them up, they are unbearable to watch. Just make it stop, someone. Enough already. We are better than this. surely

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
The fact people can't see that his positional awareness is simply woeful as a no.10 is representative of the problems we have as a club. We got hammered 5.0 at home by PSV's youth team tonight. We have all this money and ability to bring in the best young talent in the world, yet we produce nothing through our academy, and we persist with players like Wayne Rooney on 250k a week. There's nothing coming through, and what's there is over the hill. It's tragic. I am watching my club become ordinary. Wayne Rooney is emblematic of the fact we're no longer a top club in Europe. We've been overtaken domestically by the worst sides we've seen in the premier league for a long long time, too. We have to be ruthless if we want to get back to the top. Van Gaal needs get rid of Rooney and stop relying on the kids. Memphis, Lingard and Martial all have a future here, but they need time, and they need to be surrounded by experienced, top-class players. We don't have any in the forward line. Rooney is supposed to be that, but he's simply finished. This fact alone is destroying our forward line, and the kids look lost. It isn't fair on them, and it isn't fair on the fans who support the highest-paid players in the world and have to watch this utter garbage week in and week out.

Phase Rooney out and bring someone in in January, or at worst the summer, or don't progress.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
First half I thought he was decent, but second half he was shocking like basically everyone else. Shouldn't be starting (but then who really thinks he should apart from van Gaal?), unfortunately we have Herrera out and Mata for some reason isn't allowed to play centrally so he gets the nod because 'my captain shall always play'.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He was completely done for after he gave PSV their most dangerous counter of the game. Thankfully they did very poorly in attack this evening. After they messed it up, De Gea gave it to Blind who brought it forward. Rooney was in front of him but with his back turned and walking. Blind shouting at him to receive the ball. Had to turn away and give it Smalling.

He was knackered and barely moved, went for the long ball at every opportunity.

Jonno

The fact people can't see that his positional awareness is simply woeful as a no.10 is representative of the problems we have as a club. We got hammered 5.0 at home by PSV's youth team tonight. We have all this money and ability to bring in the best young talent in the world, yet we produce nothing through our academy, and we persist with players like Wayne Rooney on 250k a week. There's nothing coming through, and what's there is over the hill. It's tragic. I am watching my club become ordinary. Wayne Rooney is emblematic of the fact we're no longer a top club in Europe. We've been overtaken domestically by the worst sides we've seen in the premier league for a long long time, too. We have to be ruthless if we want to get back to the top. Van Gaal needs get rid of Rooney and stop relying on the kids. Memphis, Lingard and Martial all have a future here, but they need time, and they need to be surrounded by experienced, top-class players. We don't have any in the forward line. Rooney is supposed to be that, but he's simply finished. This fact alone is destroying our forward line, and the kids look lost. It isn't fair on them, and it isn't fair on the fans who support the highest-paid players in the world and have to watch this utter garbage week in and week out.

Phase Rooney out and bring someone in in January, or at worst the summer, or don't progress.
You've sort of contradicted yourself there

El Zoido

He tries hard but he offers very little. He's part of the furniture now, but it's not what we want. He's a passenger in most games. I got nothing against him personally and I appreciate his contribution but we could do so much better.

Mutter Merkel

fate tied with LVG
You've sort of contradicted yourself there
The kids we've bought. Memphis and Martial were not developed in our academy. Lingard came through our academy.

My point is that you can't rely on the young players without the experienced, top professionals to guide them and take the brunt of the pressure. we should be relying on a Wayne Rooney, not a Martial, but Wayne Rooney is finished, so what do we have other than kids?

As for our academy, who's going to come through and be a United-quality player. We just don't have them any more.

m1tch

He didn't seem to do too much wrong in the first half (at least I didn't notice his usual poor passing, lack of pace & strength, and his brick wall control), but he was absolutely out of gas in that second half, which is shocking at his age.

Should be used from the bench, but then he'd no doubt gain weight with not playing and get even worse.

Sam

He didn't seem to do too much wrong in the first half (at least I didn't notice his usual poor passing, lack of pace & strength, and his brick wall control), but he was absolutely out of gas in that second half, which is shocking at his age.

Should be used from the bench, but then he'd no doubt gain weight with not playing and get even worse.
He honestly looks like a mid to late thirties player, who's coming to end of his career, and struggling to come to terms with the fact his body simply wont do what he wants it to. He'll show the odd flash of quality, but for the most part he'll be a hindrance, not a help. Games where he doesn't do anything awful, slowly become 'good performances', the same type of performance that 5 years ago would have been 'a bad game'.

There's no doubting his effort, or his will to win, but he's fighting a battle against his aging body, that he simply can't win. In an era where football is becoming faster, stronger, and a younger mans game...Rooney is simply being left behind. And there's no shame in that, he's been playing top flight football for the past 14 years, he's played 700 odd games and suffered a hell of a lot of injuries, and couple all of that with naturally poor genes, and well, its no surprise he's looking so past it these days...because he is. Players like Giggs and Maldini, who were able to play to a great level well into their late thirties, are the exception not the rule.

m1tch

He honestly looks like a mid to late thirties player, who's coming to end of his career, and struggling to come to terms with the fact his body simply wont do what he wants it to. He'll show the odd flash of quality, but for the most part he'll be a hindrance, not a help. Games where he doesn't do anything awful, slowly become 'good performances', the same type of performance that 5 years ago would have been 'a bad game'.

There's no doubting his effort, or his will to win, but he's fighting a battle against his aging body, that he simply can't win. In an era where football is becoming faster, stronger, and a younger mans game...Rooney is simply being left behind. And there's no shame in that, he's been playing top flight football for the past 14 years, he's played 700 odd games and suffered a hell of a lot of injuries, and couple all of that with naturally poor genes, and well, its no surprise he's looking so past it these days...because he is. Players like Giggs and Maldini, who were able to play to a great level well into their late thirties, are the exception not the rule.
....and not forgetting the fags and beer.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He didn't seem to have the faintest clue what he was meant to be doing in that second half... Which is kind of worrying since he's the captain.

RedDevil@84

Don't think he was particularly crap. He is bang average. That is the form/standard at which he plays nowadays.
The entire team need a kick up the bu** for that 2nd half.

NoPace

Surprised people are being so calm here. I thought Rooney's legs appeared to have gone more than they normally do. I think if Mata had gotten 90 in his role he probably finds a through ball or moment of creativity we lacked. You can't have a 10 do nothing for 90 minutes of note other than one nice piece of footwork to set up a cross back into the box off a cleared corner.

He simply has to go in the summer, even if there's no fee, as long as someone will take his wages. Unless he's out of shape or there's another explanation than that he's played an incredible amount of football in his fine career and his legs have gone, I don't see how it gets any better. We would absolutely be much better off playing a talented youngster like Pereira more, or buying an attacker who is in form from a non-CL team who wouldn't break the bank, like Nolito.

I mean, what's the precedent here? Who is the last major European team to play a 10, which many teams don't use anymore since it's sort of a luxury anyways instead of a 3rd CM, who provides as little as Rooney has been doing for 3 months now, and still have a good season by their standards/expectations? I'm genuinely struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.