5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prarek

His overall play wasn't good but he put in two great balls and could have easily had 2 assists.

Dir Wangem

Complete waste of space until the goal. Did well after that(not that it was much time left to play). Loved his pass to Schneiderlin.

Sylar

Hes not good enough to be a striker. He just drops so much that we have nobody there occupying the opposition defence.

I dont mind him playing as part of a three man midfield but then he would need runners. And even then, I think he can only do about 60 minutes there.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Standard Rooney really. Playing deeper where he's not under pressure he can use the ball nicely, but higher up the pitch where players are on him quick, he struggles. Only people it's a surprise to is LVG and pundits who just repeat what they've been saying about him all his career regardless of his actual performances.
This. Almost fecked up that chance before Mata came to the rescue as well. Good spot by him though, thankfully.

Devil may care

Mata bailed him out as he didn't have the pace or strength to shake Bassong and score himself, Trevor Francis was the only pundit with the balls to acknowledge this. I don't think Rooney is much cop as a CM but he's certainly better there than lumbering around up top.

PepsiCola

Purple patch aside, he has been diabolical this season on the whole.

Really bamboozled people still believe he has anything to offer the club going forward.

One of the first who should be ushered out of the door this summer. Been a great servant, would have liked for him to break Sir Bobby's record before leaving.

Lifting the FA cup and a good testimonial is a nice send of for the lad. The longer he stays the more my opinion of him sours.

Born2Lose

Purple patch aside, he has been diabolical this season on the whole.

Really bamboozled people still believe he has anything to offer the club going forward.

One of the first who should be ushered out of the door this summer. Been a great servant, would have liked for him to break Sir Bobby's record before leaving.

Lifting the FA cup and a good testimonial is a nice send of for the lad. The longer he stays the more my opinion of him sours.
He's here for the long term, that contract is like a noose around our necks. The only hope is China or the MLS, but if he's still getting games for England I can't see him fancying it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been saying for years he's basically like us playing a centre midfielder up front, albeit one that can finish if it falls for him. In the final third you need either strength, speed, trickery or something like this to be decisive. The average Championship centre half would have a comfortable afternoon against Rooney. He has no tools to hurt them with.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That goal was such a strange run of play.

Probably any other striker would have struck it having got such space and being in the penalty area.

Not many would have tried a dink inside on their weaker foot, but any who did would definitely have shot on their left foot.

I can't imagine any would then turn, and with a 6th sense play a perfect ball to a man for a tap in!

Strange goal.

I think there was similar away at Newcastle. The composure is so much higher, but all the other stuff well well on the wane

Walters_19_MuFc

He wasn't great today, but I'd love to see how Martial or Rashford would fare with Mata and Memphis either side of them. Not to mention Herrera who is happy to play a 5 yard pass and move. No creativity whatsoever.

That said, in the end he played an important part in the goal. Probably messed it up a bit, but had the composure to find Mata, which lead to the goal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
That goal was such a strange run of play.

Probably any other striker would have struck it having got such space and being in the penalty area.

Not many would have tried a dink inside on their weaker foot, but any who did would definitely have shot on their left foot.

I can't imagine any would then turn, and with a 6th sense play a perfect ball to a man for a tap in!

Strange goal.

I think there was similar away at Newcastle. The composure is so much higher, but all the other stuff well well on the wane
A 6th sense? Nah, fecked up the chance, he had absolutely no intention to pass to Mata until he ruined his opportunity, he got very fortunate.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wasn't half as bad as he was made out to be today. When we constantly lump it up to him he's not going to be heavily involved in the match, he did well to get a good assist and should have had another. Decent performance, nothing more but certainly nothing less.

cyberman

Isolated far too much with Mata / Herrera / Lingard being abysmal today.
He was the least of our problems.

Clas Sified

Thought he'd fecked up the chance and was screaming...

...I still can't tell if he was waiting for a teammate or genuinely messed it up.

clarkydaz

back up top after a while reveals how slow and lumbered he is becoming unfortunately, and this is pretty much a championship side. He will huff and puff wherever he is, but next year he cant be a guaranteed starter anymore

PepsiCola

Isolated far too much with Mata / Herrera / Lingard being abysmal today.
He was the least of our problems.
Lingard was poor, aay. But Mata and Herrera were two of our better players today. Rooney is one of our bigger problems, alongside LvG's insistence to play him when fit.

He wasn't great today, but I'd love to see how Martial or Rashford would fare with Mata and Memphis either side of them. Not to mention Herrera who is happy to play a 5 yard pass and move. No creativity whatsoever.

That said, in the end he played an important part in the goal. Probably messed it up a bit, but had the composure to find Mata, which lead to the goal.
They'd offer some pace? Mobility? Some actual threat against the opposition center backs? Its no surprise there's a lack of creativity when our striker is so static and can't shake a defender. Lingard and Memphis were also dire up top.

He did well to capitalize on the mistake of the Norwich CB initially, but everything after was a mess. Was lucky Mata bust a gut to get in a good position, credit to Rooney for having the composure to find him as well. But overall, the guy was horrible today - reminiscent of his early season form when up top.

devil in me

I'm absolutely perplexed that some of the top coaches in the country, at club and international level, can have the opinion that he can still perform at the top level, when it's so blatently obvious that he's past it. Not only that, but we now have a manager who is trying to shoehorn him into a side in a position that he cant play, in desperate attempt just to get him into the team as if he's Leo Messi.
It's absolutely bizarre.

cyberman

Rooney isn't a striker anymore and him being a makeshift striker isn't that bad.
Its striking to me how much we lost from midfield without Rooney playing there. It was just the same old same old for 90 mins. Rooney can play a forward pass without needing to attempt a bunch of 1-2s and end up running straight into traffic.

Walters_19_MuFc

Lingard was poor, aay. But Mata and Herrera were two of our better players today. Rooney is one of our bigger problems, alongside LvG's insistence to play him when fit.

They'd offer some pace? Mobility? Some actual threat against the opposition center backs? Its no surprise there's a lack of creativity when our striker is so static and can't shake a defender. Lingard and Memphis were also dire up top.

He did well to capitalize on the mistake of the Norwich CB initially, but everything after was a mess. Was lucky Mata bust a gut to get in a good position, credit to Rooney for having the composure to find him as well. But overall, the guy was horrible today - reminiscent of his early season form when up top.
Well, to be fair to Rooney, he did run the channels quite well today. At least I thought so anyway. I just think when you've got just him doing it, it makes life so much harder.

When Martial, and Lingard to an extent, are on the wings, they have the ability to travel with the ball - to get us up the pitch, thus allowing our team as a whole to get up the pitch.

Depay and Mata, on the other hand, are completely different. For starters, Memphis couldn't even get hold of the ball today, and many attacks broke down when he got it. As for Mata, he's not going to travel with the ball when he gets it. We suffered because of that.

Whether it's a coincidence or not, I felt Rooney's best game up top for us this season come against Stoke, where he was flanked by Martial and Lingard.

kundalini

Super pass for Schneiderlin's big chance, otherwise shit. Even his assist for Mata's goal was underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.