5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiCola

Well, to be fair to Rooney, he did run the channels quite well today. At least I thought so anyway. I just think when you've got just him doing it, it makes life so much harder.

When Martial, and Lingard to an extent, are on the wings, they have the ability to travel with the ball - to get us up the pitch, thus allowing our team as a whole to get up the pitch.

Depay and Mata, on the other hand, are completely different. For starters, Memphis couldn't even get hold of the ball today, and many attacks broke down when he got it. As for Mata, he's not going to travel with the ball when he gets it. We suffered because of that.

Whether it's a coincidence or not, I felt Rooney's best game up top for us this season come against Stoke, where he was flanked by Martial and Lingard.
Yeah having pace upfront does help him out. But that's my issue with Rooney as a striker these days, theres so many variables that need to fall into place for him to have a good performance up top. He's no longer a top class striker worthy of a place starting upfront for Manchester United I'm afraid. He still does so composure when in vital areas, but he can't manage to find himself in them as much as he should.

He does better in midfield when given time and space, I worry of his ability to play against pressing midfielders however. Disappeared in the second half vs everton and was quiet against Leicester. I just don't see a role for the guy in a starting line up for any top side in the world these days, and thats a sad thing to say. No matter how badly the English press want to push the narrative, he is detrimental to our side and England given the talent they have now. Even his leadership qualities are overstated - so many times we've been crying out for a leader this season and he really should have shown a lot more for a long serving player at our club.

With regards to the stoke game, I felt the whole team were great. The Martial goal was my personal goal of the season - lovely counter attack.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'm absolutely perplexed that some of the top coaches in the country, at club and international level, can have the opinion that he can still perform at the top level, when it's so blatently obvious that he's past it. Not only that, but we now have a manager who is trying to shoehorn him into a side in a position that he cant play, in desperate attempt just to get him into the team as if he's Leo Messi.
It's absolutely bizarre.
Maybe, just maybe... those experts with years of coaching experience are right and see Rooney is still contributing to the team and you are wrong? Just a thought.

Devil may care

Maybe, just maybe... those experts with years of coaching experience are right and see Rooney is still contributing to the team and you are wrong? Just a thought.
Nah, he's finished as a top player but has a lot of political juice, he's hardly the first top player to hang around at club and International level well past their sell by date due to former glories.

Spock

Wayne supplied a lovely dink pass to Mata when we needed a goal, but overall was as anonymous as most of his teammates today.

The problem of what to do with him will plague us all next season. Perhaps the plan can be to wheel him out against bottom half clubs and keep him on the bench against the top half clubs.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
He's like a bitchy wife. You just give in to save yourself from the drama

We need a cnut of a manager to outcunt our old horses, either retire them with glory or shoot them down with gory

devil in me

Normally yes. Absolutely. But when he's struggled to play a 5 yard pass for about 3 years, and when 75000 fans sat in the stadium are saying the same thing, as well as millions of others who watch him regularly...You've got to wonder...

settembrini

I still want to know why he wears long sleeve compression tops no matter how hot it is. It was over 20°C today, he must have been absolutely roasting.

gza the genius

That goal was such a strange run of play.

Probably any other striker would have struck it having got such space and being in the penalty area.

Not many would have tried a dink inside on their weaker foot, but any who did would definitely have shot on their left foot.

I can't imagine any would then turn, and with a 6th sense play a perfect ball to a man for a tap in!

Strange goal.

I think there was similar away at Newcastle. The composure is so much higher, but all the other stuff well well on the wane
I think you're giving him too much credit. He basically did all he could to not score and got bailed out by Mata making a great run. We need more from our striker than what Rooney did there, he should have scored himself not fluffed around for a while until he had no chance himself.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Good composure for the goal after the initial chance got away from him so credit for that. You want your striker to just have the ability to run away and finish it himself though ideally
Yes in fairness.

I think any other striker would have just half volleyed it at the start, and back themselves to score outright.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Utter shit today.

On the one hand, to be fair to him, it's been blatantly obvious he can not play that role anymore for the last two seasons. He simply does not have it in him. He doesn't have the pace, power, hold-up ability, positioning or off-the-ball movement to play it. Not a single one of those aspects are even close to being good enough. So looking at it like that, it's hard to blame him for yet another bad game in that position and it comes back to the manager who put us in a position where we needed to play him in that role. Not so much talking about resting Rashford today, I'm actually ok with that. But it was LVG's decision to go into this season with Rooney obviously meant to be his main striker.

On the other hand, despite all that, I still expect him to be better than what he showed today. Was embarrassing at times. There were a couple of moments of good vision and passing, but that was it.

Manny

Grammar Police
LvG, Ryan Giggs, Roy Hodgeson and Gary Neville... Nah.

I might actually take the opinion of a forum dweller calling it as it is over any of those four.

C'est Moi Cantona

Can't we just sell him, rather than having to shoehorn him into the team forever more, yes he's been great, and yes he can still play pretty well at times, but I'm just sick of the sight of him in a United shirt.

MDFC Manager

He must have got pretty annoyed at martial's injury. Was likely setting himself for an afternoon stroll playing in midfield.

buckooo1978

He should be on his way with Van Gaal in the summer....

Thanks for the service Wayne but the club needs to be as ruthless as he was when angling for a new deal

Perrick Dubois

Everyone ripping into Memphis, but Mata and Lingard are struggling and the main reason is Rooney. Absolutely pathetic performance. Hasn't pressed or made any movement to the channels or in behind. Standing up in line with the defence waiting for something to come for him. The players behind him are doing feck all but it would be helpful if they had someone to play off.
I feel like a lot of fans are selectively failing to connect the dots here and realize that a couple of weeks back, the manager had to sub on a player because he wanted someone to run in behind. I think it pretty much spelled out, the starting strikers role is to stand up front and hold up the ball, not make runs in behind and receive passes over the top. They occupy the CB's play with their back to goal and face the buildup at all times. Yet people still have gone on all season about how nobody runs in behind and nobody passes through the lines. It simply isn't in the game plan.

Not Rooney's forte, his assist was class and decided the game. Saw it, but did not see his performance.

New manager coming in next season will sort out his free role and it will probably get him scoring again.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
“I don’t think he was very happy with me that I decided to put him in the striker’s position...” Van Gaal said.
That's because our Captain & best-paid player values his England place over Manchester United and its priorities, Louis.

Ash_G

Maybe, but I also am pretty convinced that Fergie who was better than any of them was preparing to drop/sell Rooney with RVP going to be partnered by Kagawa/Welbeck/Hernandez. I'd also say internationally until recently there was a lack of options and at United post Fergie it's a power thing not to mention he's not completely unable to contribute and if you drop him and don't do well then the press/some fans will be on your case. A better test really though imo is if we put Rooney on the market how many top teams, teams we should be looking to be on the level of would take him as part of their first 11? Personally don't think many if any.

Think with Rooney in fairness, and probably with other players is there's rarely a middle ground in these sorts of discussions. Rooney isn't finished and in the right system/team has something to offer but does he justify his earnings/untouchable part of the team? Not in comparison to our other players let alone other teams star players imo and for me with the players we have I'm not sure he naturally fits in as he's not our best striker, nor for me our best number 10 and I don't think he's a better central midfielder than Herrera. I still think he can play a part but we really shouldn't bank on him being a star player next season.

I don't see the risk either really. If he wants to play every game but also earn the big bucks I think his main chance is leaving main stream football and going somewhere like China which I'm not sure he'd do. If he's wiling to sacrifice pay for playing time than so be it. Hopefully he stays to fight for a place/just play a part but really think we need to plan for him not being a key player. I don't see his cm role working out that well. Yes he can spread the ball nicely at times but there's more to it then that.

clarkydaz

I thought he was supposed to be a striker, handful of goals away from the record. Now he doesn't like playing upfront?

Art Vandelay

Captain and best paid player not happy about playing in his actual position when no one else is available. Says it all really that he's even allowed to be unhappy about it, he should be glad he's getting on the pitch at all with the shower of shite he's been serving up. Instead he's dictating where he plays and apparently giving off when asked to cover somewhere else to help the team.

shamans

Normally yes. Absolutely. But when he's struggled to play a 5 yard pass for about 3 years, and when 75000 fans sat in the stadium are saying the same thing, as well as millions of others who watch him regularly...You've got to wonder...
This is the sort of ridiculous things people say in the Rooney threads on here that make me not even want to discuss it (even though many here that want Rooney out of the club have fair points).

I can understand the opinion of Rooney not being right for the system or not offering enough but anyone saying he is finished is just joking themselves.

devil in me

This is the sort of ridiculous things people say in the Rooney threads on here that make me not even want to discuss it (even though many here that want Rooney out of the club have fair points).

I can understand the opinion of Rooney not being right for the system or not offering enough but anyone saying he is finished is just joking themselves.
It's obviously an exaggeration. But it's not ridiculous in the slightest to suggest that his touch and his passing game over the last few years have deteriorated to pathetic levels. Anyone denying that obviously hasn't watched us that much.

shamans

It's obviously an exaggeration. But it's not ridiculous in the slightest to suggest that his touch and his passing game over the last few years have deteriorated to pathetic levels. Anyone denying that obviously hasn't watched us that much.
He had a very bad 2015 year but since 2016 he has been quite good. In some matches, he had MOTM performances. Whether you think he should stay or not is another issue but just listen to yourself: "(Wayne Rooney's) passing game over the last few year have deteriorated to pathetic levels". You think anyone can take a comment like that seriously?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Sir Alex thought he was done .

I'd trust that man's judgement of when a player needs to be moved on over any other. Evidence since 2013 provides just that.

If trust his judgement a lot more than Van Gaal,Moyes and Hodgson combined.

shamans

Sir Alex thought he was done .

I'd trust that man's judgement of when a player needs to be moved on over any other. Evidence since 2013 provides just that.

If trust his judgement a lot more than Van Gaal,Moyes and Hodgson combined.
I don't think he thought he was finished but just not suited for the club anymore. That is different than a player being finished.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That's because our Captain & best-paid player values his England place over Manchester United and its priorities, Louis.
That's ridiculous.

So even in his thirties he changes his opinion over his favourite position every few months. Just couple of months ago he was saying he is a forward.

What a problem this team has with this guy him and no one wants to do anything with it. He has definitely became bigger than a club long time ago.

Art Vandelay

That's ridiculous.

So even in his thirties he changes his opinion over his favourite position every few months. Just couple of months ago he was saying he is a forward.

What a problem this team has with this guy him and no one wants to do anything with it. He has definitely became bigger than a club long time ago.
After the Euro's when he fails as a midfielder for England he will be calling himself a striker again. He's going to end up like the guy in Quantum Leap not knowing who he is from game to game.

Perrick Dubois

Come on Steve, this kind of attention seeking belongs in the "end of Rooney" thread. This could be interpreted in many ways, you could argue that he thought Januzaj was in line for minutes and deserved them, thus him to stay at left #10 where he has shown some very good form of late. He very well could have disagreed with Rashford being dropped in the first place.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
His agent is brilliant and we are mugs. 250-300k or whatever a week for this technical marvel.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Has been a great servant of this club on the pitch, despite the contract antics off it. His goal scoring record reflects that, even though he has been moved all over the place.

But it is painfully obvious that he can no longer lead the line, and he is not a midfielder. No team trying to challenge at the top should have to shoehorn a player just to fit him in somewhere.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Perrick Dubois said:
Come on Steve, this kind of attention seeking belongs in the "end of Rooney" thread.
Far from attention-seeking, that's what I actually believe.

Perrick Dubois said:
This could be interpreted in many ways, you could argue that he thought Januzaj was in line for minutes and deserved them, thus him to stay at left #10 where he has shown some very good form of late. He very well could have disagreed with Rashford being dropped in the first place.
Wayne is hardly the epitome of selflessness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Herrera on Mr. Manchester United

"Wayne is a world-class player," Herrera told reporters after the game at Carrow Road.

"He’s a very good captain and he’s not selfish, so you always have to have Wayne in the team and in the dressing room. Some of the big players are so selfish sometimes but Wayne isn’t and that’s so important."

Rooney and Herrera both had to adapt quickly ahead of the Norwich clash, with the skipper being asked to play in attack and the midfielder finding himself in the starting line-up instead of on the bench after Anthony Martial was injured in the warm-up. While Wayne didn't edge any closer to Sir Bobby Charlton's club goals record of 249, he still impressed his Spanish team-mate.

"I know Marcus [Rashford] and Anthony [Martial] are quicker, but we know Wayne’s qualities," said Herrera. "He can assist, he can hold the ball very well and he can play as one midfielder more [an extra midfielder] when we have the ball. That’s important when you are a team that likes to be the protagonist in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.