5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Imagine if we had a top quality #10 in his position? It would benefit our attack so much.
If you put Muller in the team in Rooney's position, I'd actually be pretty confident that we would win the title.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
It's not even his fault. I’m quite annoyed at Martial, he didn’t hit Rooney with the ball even once today.
Apart from the time Martial put it on a plate for Rooney only for him to sky it over?

It isn't Rooney's fault that he loses the ball when he dribbles without a tackle either?

Djemba-Djemba

He's had bad spells throughout his career but he's never been this bad for this long.

It's been about 6 or 7 months of absolute shite.

Devil81

I was listening to Andy Goldstein on the way back from the match and he made an excellent point, whilst he's not playing at his best at the moment, he's still a huge player for us. If you took him out of our team we'd lack his experience.

I actually thought his link up play in the first half was fine.

Acole9

Outstanding
I still don't think he's passed it but he was poor tonight. Every time he had the ball he just didn't look comfortable and that confidence he had from Saturday had disappeared.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
I've been a big defender but even I'm losing faith.

The thing is, commercially he is worth £300k a week to United so not sure what we will do with him.

Some of the abuse in here is way over the top though, unsurprisingly.
Wrap him up in plastic foil(leave hole for breathing) and set him up on the entrance to the stadium before every home match. If I was on his money for the shite he has delivered recently I would happily be wrapped in plastic foil and hung up. Shit, they could hang me up even when the team is playing away. To be fair to the lad, he was a great player for United but is past it and from now on will only go downhill. Seriously.

KieranMUFC

After watching tonight's performance and most this season it's evident he's on the decline rapidly. I went back and found a game where he was in my eyes brilliant, I think if anyone's in any doubt of the decline to give this a watch! The difference between the 2011 Rooney seen here to now is like night and day. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer if he doesn't improve. a young energetic number 10 or even Mata/Herrera would be miles better based on what we are seeing.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I was listening to Andy Goldstein on the way back from the match and he made an excellent point, whilst he's not playing at his best at the moment, he's still a huge player for us.
Yes but what about Rooney?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Let his defenders come and dismiss everything as 'Rooney hatred' again.

I said on here months ago that my suspicion was that his status in the team, at least to some degree, was included in the terms of his last contract, and was dismissed, but I stand by that notion. He offers nothing and is clearly done. I'd have Marcus Rashford or Callus Gribbin in the team ahead of him, he's that useless.

The fact that he thinks he's a 20 goal striker is a joke. Martial is a whole 5 or 6 levels above him, and if we didn't sign him, we would not make the CL next season.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's not even his fault. I’m quite annoyed at Martial, he didn’t hit Rooney with the ball even once today.
Looking increasingly like we wasted our money on this Martial lad. :(

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
I was listening to Andy Goldstein on the way back from the match and he made an excellent point, whilst he's not playing at his best at the moment, he's still a huge player for us. If you took him out of our team we'd lack his experience.

What part of his experience would we be missing? His long lasting ability of doing feck all? Mata contributed more in the no. 10 position, despite playing out wide for most of the game. Apart from the clearance in front of our goal-line he didn't really do anything defensively either. In the last part when we just hoofed it up the pitch he didn't really seem to step in and offer any experience or leadership either.

I genuinely don't see what he brings to the team these days. He seems to be a step behind in almost every aspect of the game.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

What does this rhetoric even mean? Another myth, that we are apparently better with a shit Rooney than an actual good footballer. You would think we were talking of Messi or something.

Devil may care

He seems to run around in a daze between the front 3 and the midfield looking lost, he has zero creativity for a #10 and is pretty much a 300k a week Tom Cleverley at this point.

Sam

He seems to run around in a daze between the front 3 and the midfield looking lost, he has zero creativity for a #10 and is pretty much a 300k a week Tom Cleverley at this point.
Bit harsh on Tom that. At least he can actually run and control a football.

clarkydaz

he is a huge name for us yes. if he was out of the side our attacks would speed up

keener

I've been a Rooney defender since the beginning. And I can't defend this. He was exceedingly poor today. No movement, poor touches, poor finishing and generally looked poor. I'm sad for us and him. I really hope lvg sees this too and subs in Herrera next game but also communicates about what he's doing wrong.

He won't make his powerful runs into the box anymore. He simply plays the ball back to our defensive mids every time he gets the ball. He had one or 2 nice little touches but generally he was poor. Only to be underperformed today by schneiderlin.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It is becoming a real worry now. He should be ok by now but I wonder if his legs have gone a bit.
He actually looks quite fast once he decides to run. For me, the biggest problem is his first touch, but he also looks a little lazy at times. But I might be wrong about that, maybe van Gaal wants him not to get involved what would be a sensible decision really.

buckooo1978

what does he need?

a week or two away from the first team?
work with a sports psychologist?
a fitness change?

he's lost some sharpness but inside the lumbering, slow player we have at 10 is a player with superb ability

he's been in this slump for a long long time tho.....is he too far gone to get the hunger, desire and inspirational play we last saw really about 3 years ago

interesting to see Torres showing his class only in the odd game

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I thought he looked good in the 2nd half against Sunderland. Thought he might have rounded a corner, thought he might have something still to show us.

I realize now. He might look decent when playing against the worst defense in the league. But against any competent team, he will be exposed for what he truly is: Hes done at the top level. He has nothing.

I salute him for his contributions to this club, but when did Giggs/Scholes/Neville/Anyone get so many chances at once, deliver shit, and still start?

NoLogo

After one decent game he is back to being shit again.

Since we have very few options up top he will certainly get the season to prove me wrong but I'm fairly certain now that he is finished at the top level of football.

Guy

I thought he looked good in the 2nd half against Sunderland. Thought he might have rounded a corner, thought he might have something still to show us.

I realize now. He might look decent when playing against the worst defense in the league. But against any competent team, he will be exposed for what he truly is: Hes done at the top level. He has nothing.

I salute him for his contributions to this club, but when did Giggs/Scholes/Neville/Anyone get so many chances at once, deliver shit, and still start?
I can remember frustrations with performances simmering towards the end of Giggs' tenure when Fergie kept playing him, but at least he was on and off whereas Rooney has been consistently poor.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It just feels like forever since he's been in any type form, he ended last season quite poorly, and started this one in much the same vein, I'd already given up on him ever achieving *game changing* moments again with us despite his image/wages, but you would hope he could at least do -OK- up the top and chip in with 15~ league goals a year despite the usual flaws to his game.
But it doesn't seem like he can even do that right now, you have to say it's really worrying, for both him and the club, this can only go on for so long before the clueless media catch on and bring the situation to a boil.

Revan

Assumptionman
I think this is his last season. MLS bound..or back to Everton
Would Everton be willing to spend 300k/week on a benchwamer though? He isn't near as good as Lukaku, and not even as good as Naysmith or Barkley.

Bojan11

I can remember frustrations with performances simmering towards the end of Giggs' tenure when Fergie kept playing him, but at least he was on and off whereas Rooney has been consistently poor.
Giggs was about 38 and had no legs. But he still had decent performances from time to time.

Rooney is 29 and has been awful for a long time. When was his last great performance. And don't give me the Brugge game. They just made him look good. Possibly the worst team we would have played this season.

LeftyBlaster

We keep expecting him to be better than he is. His standards are too high.

We need to accept that he is just an average player these days. Not shit, mind you, just quite average. With great experience, and some moments of brilliant quality.
Quite the opposite, I'd say. Standards for him have fallen. He has one decent half and people talk about how it's the Second Coming. That's when you know a players well and truly fecked.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Giggs was about 38 and had no legs. But he still had decent performances from time to time.

Rooney is 29 and has been awful for a long time. When was his last great performance. And don't give me the Brugge game. They just made him look good. Possibly the worst team we would have played this season.
More then decent. Sometimes he was the best player on the pitch.

Djemba-Djemba

It just feels like forever since he's been in any type form, he ended last season quite poorly, and started this one in much the same vein, I'd already given up on him ever achieving *game changing* moments again with us despite his image/wages, but you would hope he could at least do -OK- up the top and chip in with 15~ league goals a year despite the usual flaws to his game.
But it doesn't seem like he can even do that right now, you have to say it's really worrying, for both him and the club, this can only go on for so long before the clueless media catch on and bring the situation to a boil.
I think you'll be waiting a while for the Media to catch up. They're fecking useless.

In loads of the reports of tonights games there seems to be a lot of surprise and shock that Rooney didn't take the penalty even though it's been established what LVG's take on penalties is. You miss one and you go to the back of the line. Rooney isn't even very good at penalties. He's missed loads for Utd.

And that's just a relatively small thing, we'll still get months of hearing how vital Rooney is for Utd, about how he provided experience and know how and other meaningless buzz words.

EDIT- Giggs used to have one brilliant game and then he'd be average for 3 or 4 games towards the end. His performance at home to Olympiakos in his last season is better than anything Rooney has provided in at least 8 or 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.