5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RaptorSlo

88% pass completion today. He was excellent.
That stat is meaningless when you consider all the passes that put our defenders in trouble were considered completed, because our player touched the ball.

Apart from that great run for our first goal, he created more danger for our own goal than on the other end.

Ludens the Red

That's his best performance as captain as a United player.
Not to say he was immaculate with everything he did. But yeah that's what you're meant to do when you're United captain.

FujiVice

Its easy to hate Wayne Rooney. But the man was fecking great at times in the cup final. Especially when he put his head down when we were 1-0 down and drove through their side and put a cross in. He was our best player.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was very poor in the first half, but really stepped up in the second... proper, actual, captain stuff.

tom33

I didn't think he played all that well overall. Still voted him man of the match because, without that run leading up to the equaliser, I think we'd be drowning our sorrows tonight!

Fer

If Rooney is going to be a starter next season. Where do you think he should play?
  1. CM in a midfield of 2 (4231)
  2. CM in a midfield of 3 (433)
  3. CAM/#10 in a 4231 formation
  4. Striker

Ibi Dreams

Like others have said, he looked like a real captain today. His run for the goal was amazing, rolling back the years kind of thing. In the last few games he's started to convince me as a midfielder - he's shown some excellent vision and has played the kind of passes that we've missed so much for years. Chips over the top and passes out to the running winger/full back that we just haven't had for ages. They don't always come off, but it's still a big improvement. He played one pass out to Rojo on the left that left their defence for dead, and if it had found a better player we'd have had a great chance. Good performance from him for sure.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Love Rooney. As I have said many times, when all the fickle tossbags on here were berating him, he's got the heart and soul to be a great leader on the pitch. Always gives 100%. It's the kind of winning mentality the team needs.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Rooney looks every bit as finished as RvP and Falcao IMO, we'll never challenge for anything as long as he remains a mainstay starting fixture in the side.
Sorry, gb, but that's plain wrong.

At least Falcao had the excuse that he had to share the space in the final third with RvP and Rooney most games (seriously, 3 strikers we played last season, absolutely mental).

There are no more excuses for Rooney. He's finished at the top level. He can get a couple of easy years in the MLS or elsewhere, but at Utd he's done.
I hope you two have changed your opinions.

Spock

What I see in Rooney is a player who's capable of moments of brilliance but over a 90 minute match just doesn't have the engine to be a significant contributor for a top club.

I'd love to see what a genuine summer conditioning program could do for him. And maybe removing the arm band could remove some of the mental pressure he puts on himself. Get him fit and play him only 2 or 3 times a month and he might be a serious factor for us next season.

But the best option would be selling him to a club in China, though I don't see that happening.

That run was brilliant and a flash of the old Rooney. What i want to know is why is took him until the 80th minute and a goal conceded to do it. For the first 75 minutes he would have just passed that sideways at the first sign of a defender. So many times we (it wasn't just Rooney) were in positions to run at an unorganised defence but we dithered and waited for them to catch up and get their positions reset.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
His energy level was top notch. He also made, at least, 2 crucial tackles in our box which seems like less appreciated here.

VP

Happy for him - whatever said, he's been fantastic for this club and deserved to win this trophy.

Still don't think he has much to offer and I wonder what Mourinho will do with him.

prateik

I dont care how much he gets paid. He has done enough for the club and the club waste way too much money on nonsense anyway. Might as well give it to someone who has actually contributed.

But he cant be a guaranteed starter.
If he is fine with that, then I would like him to stay.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Awful in the first half and then pulled a captain's performance in the second and AET.

I like Rooney and feel has given a lot to this club. He has been moved around and tried to give his best in any position he has been asked to play. However, I am unsure if he has a future for us. His days as a Striker/Support striker are over and I am not usually a big fan of his in the CM. Tough decision for Jose coming up. Can he make him his Lampard?

Red17

Rooney is the kind of player that excels when he is at the centre and at the hub of things. Very rare few can live up to this responsibility, much less relish it. Even fewer amongst modern players. Cherish him whilst we can. He struggles when he is isolated and his frustration shows through when he is not in a position to influence things when he is isolated. That's what happens to him under Sir Alex, during some of his indifferent seasons, and with Van Gaal until recent months. I'm surprised the managers/ coaches don't realise this sooner. Or maybe he was the easy compromise or sacrifice for other players.

First and foremost with Rooney is NOT that he is a striker or a no. 10 or he is a midfielder or that he needs to be top scorer. First and foremost of what makes him tick is that he has to be the main man, in the sense that he has to be involved constantly, which means he is the "centre". Much like his responsibility as a Captain. He flourish with captaincy rather than suffered like some will or some where the experience does not lift them. Unfortunately for him and his teams, club and country have mucked about too much with his position and role.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yup, no complaining from me, we've been poor overall but he dragged us at the moment he must have with that run, credit where is due.

togg

I saw his face immediately after they scored and there was no way was he thinking it was over.... he had that cold steely determined look, it was like he was saying 'right, feck this...' Took the bull by the horns and made that run. Top notch from our captain. He's a winner......

Perrick Dubois

A skippers performance. Single handedly got us back on level terms. Enjoy the Euro's Wayne, when you get back there will be work to do. That record should fall next season and we can work on getting near Shearer.

ZupZup

Delighted for him! Dragged us back from the brink of defeat yesterday.

I think he could assist 3, score 4 and have 100% pass completion and some on here would still say 'thought he was average'.

Also, all the comments about us needing to replace him with a 'proper midfielder'. Like the ones we've spent about £100m on so far and not one of them is better than him in midfield? I think we'd be better off worrying about what midfielders we should get to play with him before anything else given that he's the best we have.

Dante

Average bang
Delighted for him! Dragged us back from the brink of defeat yesterday.

I think he could assist 3, score 4 and have 100% pass completion and some on here would still say 'thought he was average'.

Also, all the comments about us needing to replace him with a 'proper midfielder'. Like the ones we've spent about £100m on so far and not one of them is better than him in midfield? I think we'd be better off worrying about what midfielders we should get to play with him before anything else given that he's the best we have.
:lol: Too true.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You really are overstating his performances of late. It's quite crazy. It makes rational discussion of the player very difficult, equally as people who give him nothing but stick without recognizing when he does well.

There is NO agenda against him. He's a United player and this is a United forum, we want to see him do well.

He HAS been poor this season on the whole, that much is undeniable. A purple patch in January and some half decent performances against poor sides will not change the fact he failed to contribute a single point in the first half of the season.

I mean:

Really? First on the team sheet over Martial, De Gea, Smalling and Luke Shaw? Come on man. A key player for the next few seasons he quite clearly will not be, all the evidence suggests otherwise no matte how much you refuse to see it.

He hasn't shown enough to prove he has what it takes to be a top class midfielder, he was dominated by Cleverly and Gibson in the second half of the FA cup semi-final a few weeks ago.

However, he displayed great heart and drive in the final. It was refreshing to see in a side which has lacked it all season.

What I'm trying to say is making comments like 'clearly one of our best players' is just silly and really doesn't help conversation at all. Then ignoring all criticism accusing posters of having agendas doesn't help either.
Someone said what will Mourinho do with Rooney and so I replied predicting that he will be the first name on the team sheet in midfield for Mounrinho because quite clearly managers see something that apparently you lot don't see. There's no way Mounriho is dropping Rooney unless he plays like he did up till Christmas. If he plays as he has in 2016 then of course he will start and deservedly so.

You can say all you want about there not being an agenda but it's simply not true, the reason I can say this with certainty is if he was a new signing from Spain putting in the showings from the last 2 months the only thing I would read is how brilliant he is and just what we've been missing for the rest of the season in CM. But because it Rooney and people don't like him over his contract dealings, or the way he talks and acts they judge him ridiculously highly to areas that most players in the world would not achieve.

I can quite happily have rational discussion as long as the criticsim is rational rather than people jumping on a bandwagon because it's become popular to bash Rooney for every small mistake. Take Rooneys performance yesterday, he certainly misplaced some easy and simple passes and to some I've seen them say that's a shocking performance... Well clearly they know nothing about football then, because afew misplaced passes doesn't change the fact that he was the only player willing to try something with the ball;pass forward, run with some purpose,get stuck in. That's what we have missed in midfield not the abilty to keep every pass perfect and get 100% pass accuracy, that's LVG philosophy brainwashing. Is Rooney a top class CM probably not, but he's certainly good enough for where we are currently. If we signed some players in midfield to complement him then we would have a very strong midfield indeed, but I'm fed up of coming on the thread and seeing every other post as, he's crap ship him to China, it's disrepecteful and stupid.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You have a go at my criticism and you come up with stuff like this? He was one of the better players but if you call that Brilliant? Key for the next few seasons? Make the CM his own? You say people have agendas against him but it seems you have an agenda against United!
If that isn't a brilliant performance in a cup final then I don't know what is! Again if, that was a new signing and not Rooney the praise he received would have been monumental and I would bet you'd be one of the first people in line to say how brilliant said player is. Like it or not, Rooney will still play a key and fundamental role under Mounrinho of that I'm sure, because managers are clearly seeing what I'm seeing and not what your seeing. His performance yesterday showed everything we have lacked for the rest of the season in the heart of our team and the main thing being heart and desire. When he made that goal saving block, it was because he wanted it more than the opposition and this season I've seen too many of our player lack that heart. If you can't see that then continue to drive your anti Rooney agenda on this forum but I think you'd be much better suited channeling your energy into how we can build a compelementary midfield around him.

RikRuud

The pundits were calling him man of the match at half time. They know football. Very good performance and his work rate was phenomenal.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
He was definitely knackered in extra time but still kept going

I think it was his best captains performance for the club so far

Jose is going to love him

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I don't think I've ever seen a player have as many 'where the hell did that come from' moments than Rooney. Fantastic run and cross for the goal. He needs to lead like that more often, through example rather than the pointless gesticulating and shouting. I think yesterday showed why he's still a valuable asset, the desire he showed not only for the goal but to track back and save Blind was terrific. You're not going to find players like that anymore, he's not even a midfielder and he showed more heart tracking back than Schneiderlin has all season. The problem with Rooney is in spite of this he's not really a midfielder, he doesn't have any idea how to manipulate space or how to control the tempo, all he has is crossfield balls. Still I think Mourinho can coax another few seasons out of him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
First time I see him play like a captain. We wouldn't have won without him on the pitch, so some of you are being far too harsh.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
There is potentially a role for him, but he HAS to accept being managed differently, there are games he will need to be rested for, and when his form bottoms out he will be dropped, if he is putting in performances like yesterday and accepts those terms then he will be very useful to have around

Born2Lose

Ironically, the move to midfield vindicates the people that criticized him and said he wasn't good enough up front.

If it were for all his fans on here he'd still be playing as a striker for us.

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Good performance but you're dreaming if we can expect that level of performance week in week out. He needs to be a Giggs type player.. rested for ages and brought into certain games.

He will not be a regular starter under Jose.. I can't see him being consistent enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.