g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wayne Rooney image 10

Wayne Rooney England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Why all the anger? Rooney was the most entertaining thing about last nights game. Sure a lot of it was for the wrong reasons, but I was bored as shit before he came on.

MoneyMay

Rooney's cameo was average... an "assist" when he should have scored... and a counter-attack fluffed by him. But I don't think he did anything wrong here:
Typical Rooney bashing, you all obviously aren't attentive to his work rate. Bet some of you feckers will say it's because he had fresh legs. It's something Zlatan wouldn't do. Wayne Rooney street footballer.

I'm all for criticising Rooney, but I think this is clutching at straws. We'll look at Ibrahimovic pressing and Rooney not following behind him, and it will look like Rooney's not trying and doing his own thing, but no one - bar Ibra - presses. Which is a good indication of how Mourinho wanted us to defend in the final minutes of the game. Also, context wise, we're 1-0 up and we're looking to be as compact as possible without breaking any of our lines. Rooney actually stops their #24 from turning.

ti vu

Rooney's cameo was average... an "assist" when he should have scored... and a counter-attack fluffed by him. But I don't think he did anything wrong here:

I'm all for criticising Rooney, but I think this is clutching at straws. We'll look at Ibrahimovic pressing and Rooney not following behind him, and it will look like Rooney's not trying and doing his own thing, but no one - bar Ibra - presses. Which is a good indication of how Mourinho wanted us to defend in the final minutes of the game. Also, context wise, we're 1-0 up and we're looking to be as compact as possible without breaking any of our lines. Rooney actually stops their #24 from turning.
We don't press as a team to steal the ball at that moment, but at that moment it's understandable for Zlatan to expect Rooney to help pressing the #6 to pass to the right wing, not to a free LCB. Mourinho's tactic is to press and secure the central area and force the opponent pas the ball out wide. That never changes.

watch around 1.30 (not agree all with this video but it has some good part).

similarly 2.15 in this.

again similarly from 4.20

#9 went pressing, and the behind line adjust to support him with positional play to defend from far out. The basic is similar. In this case, problem is Rooney betrayed the tactic and Zlatan. #9 goes for the press, in hope of pro actively force the play out wide, just to turn back and see the opponent #6 is free to continue normal play with little pressure from #10.

If Rooney had done the job here, then the ball should be forced to our left wing with Rashford vs their RB one vs one. If this RB felt nervous, then he will have to pass way back to the keeper since Zlatan would continue positioning him against their right sided CB, with Rooney on their #6. So instead of relying on some exceptional midfielder who can turn in tight situation, the opponent can easily switch play with simple pass due to the lack of effort from our #10

Last edited:
Man Utd 1:1 Stoke

Devil may care

His comedic first touch worked in our favour today, like his miss-kick on Thursday, the accidental assister!

I think we are still in phase one of his removal, with Jose still feeling obligated to give him 20 minutes in every game.

Burrow

FM Experiment God
Scout
Starting to forget that this lad is playing for us, which is a huge improvement from being filled with rage watching him play.

chb23

I'm not going to complain about any games, as long as Rooney gets benched.

His comedic first touch worked in our favour today, like his miss-kick on Thursday, the accidental assister!

I think we are still in phase one of his removal, with Jose still feeling obligated to give him 20 minutes in every game.
What a player, and both almost identical positions. If only there was a table for such things.

jojose

Its early days, but he hasn't quite grasped that he's fighting for his future has he?

The silent dominating accidental assister.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Why does everyone keep saying he got another accidental assist this weekend? As far as I could tell, he was dispossessed by the defender, who got the final touch?

Also, I was fuming when (I think it was Rooney) took a corner and it hit the feet of the first Stoke defender :lol:

Then I feel bad for Wayne after. :(

clarkydaz

Why does everyone keep saying he got another accidental assist this weekend? As far as I could tell, he was dispossessed by the defender, who got the final touch?

Also, I was fuming when (I think it was Rooney) took a corner and it hit the feet of the first Stoke defender :lol:

Then I feel bad for Wayne after. :(
reports will likely put it down as an assist, you just expect it now. Seeing him come on as sub now he does look on the large side doesn't he

Tiber

I defended Rooney for a long time - even at the start of the season I thought he was still useful.

Time to head to the MLS Wayne...

Ish

Lights on for Luke
reports will likely put it down as an assist, you just expect it now. Seeing him come on as sub now he does look on the large side doesn't he
That moment in the box that lead to his "assist" basically summed up his decline....his speed of thought was non existent. The ball came to him and instead of knowing what to do and his surrounding, he needed an extra second, dithered, and the defender nipped in.

m1y2

I will not be satisfied until he's off the club... His gametime should be given to much better footballers, he's not better than Herrera/Mata or whoever was on the pitch last night even lingard contributes more... Maybe it's just a part of Mourinho's game to ease him out of the team, would be harsh to not play him a single game, actually it wasn't he should be in the club from 2014.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
People will never be happy about him. He gets a brilliant assist and nobody can appreciate that.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wayne is 2 or 3 moves ahead of everyone else, he knew the defender would intercept and thus set up Martial for his goal.

Wayne plays chess whilst everyone else is playing checkers.

clarkydaz

Wayne is 2 or 3 moves ahead of everyone else, he knew the defender would intercept and thus set up Martial for his goal.

Wayne plays chess whilst everyone else is playing checkers.
that will be this football intelligence he told us about then, good spot

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
One newspaper described his dithering as a 'one-two'. Blimey...

Red Stone

One newspaper described his dithering as a 'one-two'. Blimey...
If they meant that as in counting seconds between him getting the ball and him doing something... they're still being generous.

Adebesi

I dont think we could realistically expect Mourinho to resolve this any quicker than he has. It can be a bit frustrating when he has been left out but inevitably comes on after an hour but I think this situation is being handled understandably carefully. But he isnt doing much when he comes on to strengthen his case and I dont think itll be long before he isnt even getting on - maybe when Miki is back he'll be pushed further down the pecking order.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair to Mourinho, I never thought he would actually bench him this quick. I suppose the fact his form is genuinely horrible has made it easier for him.

I don't mind him coming into games with 20 minutes to go. I actually thought he would come into games and run his ass off, but his reaction has been disappointing.

I used to think he paced himself through 90 minutes, but he clearly just hasn't got that burst of aggression or energy he once had, no matter the minute.

Jacko21

To be fair to Mourinho, I never thought he would actually bench him this quick. I suppose the fact his form is genuinely horrible has made it easier for him.

I don't mind him coming into games with 20 minutes to go. I actually thought he would come into games and run his ass off, but his reaction has been disappointing.

I used to think he paced himself through 90 minutes, but he clearly just hasn't got that burst of aggression or energy he once had, no matter the minute.
Agreed. I'm sure Mourinho concluded before he arrived that fading out Rooney was a priority - but for Rooney himself showing a dramatic upturn in form.

That hasn't happened and Mourinho has the full weight of public opinion in his favour re benching him. Like you, I thought Rooney would show some kind of response in the minutes he's had coming off of the bench. But he's done nothing to suggest he's even trying to earn his place back in the starting XI.

Perhaps he knows the game is up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. I'm sure Mourinho concluded before he arrived that fading out Rooney was a priority - but for Rooney himself showing a dramatic upturn in form.

That hasn't happened and Mourinho has the full weight of public opinion in his favour re benching him. Like you, I thought Rooney would show some kind of response in the minutes he's had coming off of the bench. But he's done nothing to suggest he's even trying to earn his place back in the starting XI.

Perhaps he knows the game is up.
It feels that way. I think he's lost the love of football as he's done it for so long. He relishes being captain and the "role model" side of things, but being an actual star on pitch doesn't seem quite so important anymore.

MoneyMay

My dad who doesn't like to criticise was watching when he came on and Rooney passed it to someone about 15ft away at about 100mph and he just says "bloody hell", I just said it's Wayne that's what he does :lol:
This? @spwd

redmeister

If I was Rooney, I'd take steroids. He's physically declined so much. I know it's cheating, but I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.