5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
If you think the ones in bold were better than Rooney at his peak then you are just another joker on this site that has developed unreasonable dislike towards him.
Are you this deluded, how can you say Raul or Lewa werent better than Rooney? Do you even watch football? And do you actually think Rooney ever reached van Persie's level in his last season for Arsenal and his first season here?

Minimalist

Are you this deluded, how can you say Raul or Lewa werent better than Rooney? Do you even watch football? And do you actually think Rooney ever reached van Persie's level in his last season for Arsenal and his first season here?
Apparently comparing him Ronaldinho is unfair. Because of course Rooney never played anywhere but no.9.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Raul
Samual Eto'o
Andriy Shevchenko
Hernan Crespo

If you think the ones in bold were better than Rooney at his peak then you are just another joker on this site that has developed unreasonable dislike towards him.
:lol::lol::lol:

And you have the temerity to call others jokers, the mind boggles.

Red Stone

Is there some secret cash prize on here for being the biggest Rooney fanboy on the site? I feel like I'm seeing nick2004 and shamans delve deeper into the depths of delusion with each passing day.

Sammyjunn

Apparently comparing him Ronaldinho is unfair. Because of course Rooney never played anywhere but no.9.
Im not even trying to against people who favour Rooney but that's just such a bizarre statement. Rooney better than Lewandowski, Raul, Schevchenko, van Persie (some may agree with this one but van Persie was besides a prolific goalscorer at the time, such a magician on the ball with his dribbles, flicks, passing).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It's very mature to hear the condescending remarks and green smileys. Seeing how others take opinions that differ from there own reveals so much of their maturity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Rooney will play against Malta as Southgate will want to save one or two players for the much harder game away to Slovenia a few days later
Suits us, give him a runout In these low key England games, so that's he's got some football practice if we need him off the bench in our next games :angel:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Is there some secret cash prize on here for being the biggest Rooney fanboy on the site? I feel like I'm seeing nick2004 and shamans delve deeper into the depths of delusion with each passing day.
I'm as able to see what 2016 Rooney is like as anyone, but the longer time goes on, the more and more people seem to be putting down his actual top form for us.
It'd be a shame to underplay his top days, so it's probably best this is his last season for us to not spoil the memories

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
It's very mature to hear the condescending remarks and green smileys. Seeing how others take opinions that differ from there own reveals so much of their maturity.
The irony...

Stringer

Nah you're just utterly clueless when it comes to discussing Rooney therefore get treated in the appropriate manner. The Van Persie comparison is rather funny since Ferguson quickly identified the better player and played him in his favoured position.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nah you're just utterly clueless when it comes to discussing Rooney therefore get treated in the appropriate manner. The Van Persie comparison is rather funny since Ferguson quickly identified the better player and played him in his favoured position.
Exactly, if Rooney was still so great at that stage, why bring in RVP who he knew would score the goals to win that last title.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Van Persie that season was in better form than Rooney. I don't want to argue because there is no way anyone can argue the better player because it is mostly subjective but I know for a fact that from around 2006-2010 anyone who would have said they'd rather have RVP than Rooney would be laughed at on here.

Sammyjunn

Van Persie that season was in better form than Rooney. I don't want to argue because there is no way anyone can argue the better player because it is mostly subjective but I know for a fact that from around 2006-2010 anyone who would have said they'd rather have RVP than Rooney would be laughed at on here.
True, Rooney was better than RvP back then, but RvP's peak was higher than Rooney's. Similar goalscorers in stats, but Robin van Persie had the full puckage which led to a title.

MattyB1986

Rooney is a legend but in comparison to Messi, Ronaldos of the world, in years to come I'll remember a player who held our club to ransom twice and never fulfilled his true potential. Only reason he's broke records is because managers have persisted with him because of his name. Fergie knew he was done 5 years ago why he dropped him out of the Madrid semi final game.

MDFC Manager

Rooney is a legend but in comparison to Messi, Ronaldos of the world, in years to come I'll remember a player who held our club to ransom twice and never fulfilled his true potential. Only reason he's broke records is because managers have persisted with him because of his name. Fergie knew he was done 5 years ago why he dropped him out of the Madrid semi final game.
Stinging, but only has himself to blame for most of that

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Yes I think Rooney was better but never said "well beyond". If anything that was the original poster of that link. Also vague statements like "Rooney was one of the most feared strikers in the world for a good decade" doesn't do much help does it.

At the time Chelsea bought Schevchenko, if they could get Rooney instead there is no doubt who they would have chosen. But yes, your green smileys give a good counter argument
That's a terrible argument.

Shevchenko was 30 when Chelsea purchased him.Around the same age Rooney is now. Chelsea would not be signing current level Rooney in 2006.

At his peak,Schevchenko won a Balon d'or.Rooney hasn't even been in the top 3.

Rooney has the potential to be as good as most players you mentioned.But he's never achieved that.Except for 2010 where he was undoubtedly world class,he's struggled to be the top striker in Manchester,not in even the world.

itso 7

That's a terrible argument.

Shevchenko was 30 when Chelsea purchased him.Around the same age Rooney is now. Chelsea would not be signing current level Rooney in 2006.

At his peak,Schevchenko won a Balon d'or.Rooney hasn't even been in the top 3.

Rooney has the potential to be as good as most players you mentioned.But he's never achieved that.Except for 2010 where he was undoubtedly world class,he's struggled to be the top striker in Manchester,not in even the world.
True this and in 2010 he showed exactly why Fergie constantly moved him around - he didn't have what it took to maintain a level of performances for more than one season - he was sensational before the injury at Bayern and beyond dog shit for the rest of that year. Completely unreliable as the main man and if we hadn't had a brainfart in 2013 and actually appointed a top manager this would be Everton's problem right now.

Sparky10Legend

If you think he's as good as Marco Van Basten and many of the names mentioned then football's not for you.

The reality is these days it's "forwards".

Jaybomb

I find it strange that some people suggest that a manager would "risk losing the dressing room" if he dropped Rooney.

Surely most "professionals" would surely get on with their job and accept the manager's choice. I'm sure quite a few footballers hate playing along side some of their team mates, but they get on with it and follow the managers instructions.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I find it strange that some people suggest that a manager would "risk losing the dressing room" if he dropped Rooney.

Surely most "professionals" would surely get on with their job and accept the manager's choice. I'm sure quite a few footballers hate playing along side some of their team mates, but they get on with it and follow the managers instructions.
Footballers are a different breed all together.

Treble

Rooney is nowhere near the top strikers/forwards of all time. His bottom level has been shocking for a world class player (which he was for 2-3 years, 09-11, but had a shockingly bad second half of the year in 2010) and his peak level wasn't that special either.

Because of his longevity he's had a better career than RVP or Drogba or some other top forwards of the last decades but RVP had a higher peak level than Rooney and the same holds for most elite forwards of the modern era.

Only people who haven't watched the best forwards from Van Basten onwards would suggest that peak Rooney was as good or better than peak Baggio, Romario, Stoichkov, G. Weah, Batistuta, Rivaldo, Shevchenko, Henry, Eto'o, Suarez, Zlatan, Aguero, not to mention L. Ronaldo, C. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Messi. Peak Robben was a (much) better player than Rooney too (but for a short period due to injury problerms). And peak Rooney wasn't any better than other class forwards like Villa at his best or Thomas Müller or Totti or Del Piero or Drogba or RVN or Lewandowski, etc.

Rooney's best seasons aren't really better than the best seasons of generally lesser players like Forlan or D. Costa in Spain. Costa's best season with Atleti was better than any season that Rooney had with United: won the title with Atleti vs superb teams of Barca and Real while scoring about as many league goals as Ronaldo and Messi, reached the CL final, etc.

Sparky10Legend

How long before Rooney publishes a picture of him training like Ibra, or lets it be known he's doing yoga.*

THATS what he'll do next.

*Both for appearances sake only. He wont actively remain/get fit.

MattyB1986

I will always say he is a legend backaday he was awesome. He never had the same attitude those above had to become the best though. Reality of it, right? The Messi, Ronaldos, etc, and players who are talked about being the best have something in common (drive, professionalism off the pitch)

They work damn hard to stay in shape to get fit and to work their socks off to carry their countries on their shoulders. Rooney? he's unfit too feck and been putting in shitty non passionate performances for club and country too long and taking home 300k a week from "United" and its fans. Am I wrong to be a bit frustrated at that? nope! United always had leaders and people willing to work their socks off.

People always make excuses saying, "he's played top level football since 16" that holds a bit of weight of course he was always going to slow down in his older years because his genes wasn't that athletic, but he could have more drive and professionalism off the pitch to want to be the best he can be, why I always say he never fulfilled his true potential even though he's broke records.

His soundbites in interviews always pertain to his attitude now, "I have nothing left to prove to anyone, etc." That sounds like a player who has an untouchable attitude no matter what performances he puts in, or how professional he is off the pitch. Every time you play for club and country you should have a desire to want to show you are the best, etc. Unfortunately that attitude probably came about from managers pandering him and letting him get away with it because of who he was back when he was hungry.

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

criticalanalysis

Watching the England game and he's not been 'bad'.

Has some tidy touches and okay passing, been defensively aware to cut out loose passes and such.

However, context: Malta are sitting back and not really pressuring/pressing on his patch so he's been able to do all the things he has with no one really around him.

Conclusion, he's serviceable as a holding midfielder against poor opposition. It's no wonder he wants to play there because he doesnt have the touch, athleticism or intelligence to operate higher up the pitch.
As such he doesn't really have a position in the first team ahead of any of our other players.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Has some tidy touches and okay passing, been defensively aware to cut out loose passes and such.

However, context: Malta are sitting back and not really pressuring/pressing on his patch so he's been able to do all the things he has with no one really around him.

Conclusion, he's serviceable as a holding midfielder against poor opposition. It's no wonder he wants to play there because he doesnt have the touch, athleticism or intelligence to operate higher up the pitch.
As such he doesn't really have a position in the first team ahead of any of our other players.
You could have put any other player in there today and it wouldn't have made a difference. Done nothing of note.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It's malta ffs

My sunday league team could play well against them

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Nearly caught on the ball then at the back after winning it back. He just doesn't look like a footballer anymore. He has lost the aggression, the good aggression I mean.

Ixion

As the man said "You can tell me his pass is amazing but my pass is also amazing without pressure."

C3Pique

Takes zero responsibility creatively, even under no pressure every pass is sideways or backwards. I could be out there in his place and do the same job.

Status
Not open for further replies.