5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dichinero

Not in place of Ibra... as a sub for him. Have Rooney spell Ibra late in games. Reason is that Ibra is not a young player anymore and I don't feel he can give 100% for the full 90 mins. He's pacing himself. Wouldn't it be better to have Ibra go harder for 70 mins and have Rooney come in for the last 20 mins?

Every club uses the CF this way. Even Aguero, Benzema, Lewandowski, Higuain, etc. get subbed out late in games so they don't need to pace themselves. Not sure why it should be different for Ibra.
I'd sooner put Martial up front and replace him with Memphis on the left than bring Rooney off the bench. Heck, I'd prefer playing Mata as a false 9 than Rooney up top, I trust him more in front of goal at the moment!

spwd

Oh my god.

He's been given chances left, right, top and centre these past few years. He's been shit everywhere, he is shit everywhere, and he will continue to be shit everywhere. Why should he be given yet another chance? On the off-chance he'll find the fountain of youth during his time on the bench?

Never has a footballer been paid so much, been given so many chances and produced so much shite. And had so many defenders.
Well said, we seem to have had another influx of Fanboys and we're having the same arguments again, he's shite wherever he plays, end of story.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Oh my god.

He's been given chances left, right, top and centre these past few years. He's been shit everywhere, he is shit everywhere, and he will continue to be shit everywhere. Why should he be given yet another chance? On the off-chance he'll find the fountain of youth during his time on the bench?

Never has a footballer been paid so much, been given so many chances and produced so much shite. And had so many defenders.
When Rooney is crap at 9,his best position becomes 10.

When he is moved on to 10 and sucks there too ,it's because he is not being played in his best position of centreforward.

Now we have midfield thrown in there too for good measure.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah it's tough. I remember Raul in his last season at Madrid and he was VERY VERY VERY beloved. But his level was dropping. He also had far too much influence in the locker room, with the Spanish media and the fans. They had to make a very clean cut for both Raul and Real Madrid's sake.

I see Rooney in the same situation, although I consider Raul a much better player than Rooney ever was.

Minimalist

The thing for me is since he's been droppped nothing has changed.

He still jogs around the pitch at the same intensity, no closing down quickly with intent or making good sprints.

I used to think he was trying to conserve energy for the 90 minutes, but I think he just doesn't want to play like that anymore.
It's quite remarkable. I didn't predict that happening at all despite desperate to see him dropped from the first XI. I thought he would come on and run himself into the ground for 15-20 minutes each time to at least show that he still wanted it.

So far he looks like he's given up and is just phoning it in. It's over.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've been unbeaten since he was dropped. Not much of a sample but carry on.

Adisa

I see the he's a 6/8/9/10 argument is back to give him a chance at 9.

However poorly Zlatan plays Rooney isnt the answer.
This times a million. Some people are tacitly trying to suggest we play Rooney since Zlatan isn't playing well. Complete nonses.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
[
I really do think in Mourinho's head, regardless of his placatory interviews, he's dropped Rooney from the starting XI. Despite two accidental assists, none of Rooney's appearances off the bench have actually improved the team's play. He's made the decision, and so far it's been justified.

In Ibra's case, it's clearly not merited to actually drop him, but I would rest him for this game. Get Martial up front, give Miki his start, get Mata and/or Lingard involved at some point, and Ibra can be fresh for Chelsea, which is likely to be exactly the sort of game we'll need his experience in.

Me too, I said this when Mourinho did that "not a midfielder" press conference:

Beginning of the end for him.

Jose can now set him a clear expectation goals wise and hold him accountable when he doesn't achieve it.

No "transition" seasons into midfield to hide behind.
I felt at the time that it was a clear power play by Mourinho. He will have watched him for a long time now and known his time is up and I'd imagine he discussed it with senior figures at the club and was made aware that it won't be an easy task to marginalise him. He's done it beautifully.

Every cameo he makes just confirms what everyone with half a brain knows. There will be games where, rather than looking to Rooney, he looks to Schneiderlin to sure things up, Rashford for some pace or Mata for some creativity and at that point Rooney will realise the game is up.

Another point I think needs making is that Rooney thinks with a bit of hard work, his time will come and he will take his chance to get back into the fray. I just don't think that's going to happen, bar an injury crisis.

Mourinho doesn't judge players on just performances like we do, he gets to see them every day in training. He'll see Rooney's touch every day, he'll see his fitness figures, he'll see the younger lads annihilating him over 10 yards, he'll see his ineffective passing game.

He's finished here. Rejoice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What a debut.
I missed that game, was walking home from working watching the BBC RSS feed on my SPVC550!

Remember how exciting it was and what the future surely held. Good times. I hope this situation is fixed soon so I can look back with the same warm nostalgia more often.

Adisa

I missed that game, was walking home from working watching the BBC RSS feed on my SPVC550!

Remember how exciting it was and what the future surely held. Good times. I hope this situation is fixed soon so I can look back with the same warm nostalgia more often.
I remember going to school the next day and all my friends being jealous of us. He was explosive.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The best thing about that debut was how inevitable it all seemed.

Best young English player around? Of course he'd go to United. His debut? Of course he'd score. Getting a brace? No surprise there. Hat trick? Yeap, why not if it makes the story better?

It's too bad it's ending this way, it really is.

Robertd0803

Yeah it's tough. I remember Raul in his last season at Madrid and he was VERY VERY VERY beloved. But his level was dropping. He also had far too much influence in the locker room, with the Spanish media and the fans. They had to make a very clean cut for both Raul and Real Madrid's sake.

I see Rooney in the same situation, although I consider Raul a much better player than Rooney ever was.
And Real picked up when Raul left. And as you say Raul was actually liked by the Madrid fans while the majority of United fans have had enough of Rooney at this stage.

itso 7

I really do think in Mourinho's head, regardless of his placatory interviews, he's dropped Rooney from the starting XI. Despite two accidental assists, none of Rooney's appearances off the bench have actually improved the team's play. He's made the decision, and so far it's been justified.

In Ibra's case, it's clearly not merited to actually drop him, but I would rest him for this game. Get Martial up front, give Miki his start, get Mata and/or Lingard involved at some point, and Ibra can be fresh for Chelsea, which is likely to be exactly the sort of game we'll need his experience in.
I suspect so myself, from day one with the presser Mourinho seems to have been preparing to drop Rooney/take him on. By ruling out Rooney's midfield refuge he really showed he was prepared to deal with their issues.

Barnslig

Norwegian TV pundits are circle jerking over Rooney also. Are they all blind? They are all calling for him to play a lot more, and are very confused as to why he hasn't featured more than he has :houllier:

Shark

@NotShark
That's what we want to see, if he played like that all the time there would be no issues.

Devil may care

He has the Donald Trump of first touches as illustrated when Mata played him in, and still passes it to no one when trying to do anything but shove it a few yards backwards or sideways, he even overhit the cross to Lingard who did brilliantly to gather it and set Pogba up.

Minimalist

He's fine tonight. Link up play hasn't been bad and the players behind him aren't really great either so it kind of excuses him anyway. Also a good interception for the third goal.

Still prefer Ibra's physical attributes as it's still telling Rooney is struggling out there after 45 minutes - still in poor shape.

Kag

That's what we want to see, if he played like that all the time there would be no issues.
There would be less of an issue in that he isn't a pub player, but he's still comfortably the weakest link in an attacking sense.

Smores

Wouldn't go that far but he's been okay for a squas player. Dont mind him playing in these type of games

BarstoolProphet

Horrible in the attack before our third goal then a brilliant cross to Lingard for our third. Other than that he's been very quiet.

mu4c_20le

My first thought was he looked much better and more comfortable dropping into the hole than Pogba did at Anfield. First touch hasn't been too bad either since being benched.

Smores

Horrible in the attack before our third goal then a brilliant cross to Lingard for our third. Other than that he's been very quiet.
Brilliant? It took something special from Lingard to make that into anything. Not sure it would be described as brilliant if a goal hadnt been scored.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Better. Not taking pens?
I see a post last year from OptaJo that said only Sheringham and Owen have worse pen conversion rates for United in the Premier league, he misses just under 1 in 3.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's influenced play less, but made it count more when he gets involved. I'm not complaining, I think he's done well.

Status
Not open for further replies.