Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has there ever been a club captain who's not a regular starter?
Robson was still club captain to the end of his time here, when he wasn't a 100% starter.

Will be very interesting how we line up with Pogba, if we do get him!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where is he going to play? I can't for the life of me believe we will sign Pogba for £100m only for a Mourinho to put him in a midfield two.
Will call for a tweak, and have 1 deeper mid, and Pog and Rooney ahead.

Although we are very conditioned to Rooney playing whatever the situation and it does seem like that might change

If there hadn't already been stories of Schweiny being one we're looking to bin, I wouldn't be adverse to him and Schniederlin being the 2 man mid, as they'll have more pace around them this year with Shaw fit and Mik here now. That'd be a solid barrier for Pogba to be free up field.

Dobbs

Can someone explain why is he always wearing long sleeves? Even during the summer?
I've thought the same, wears it no matter the weather. It looks seriously uncomfortable in the China heat. Rest of the players in a vest and still wet through. Odd.

RedorDead21

I actually feel abit sorry for him. He carried teams at club and international level for years even in terms of expectation of late when he was surrounded by mediocrity and when he's finally getting real talent around him at all levels he's the fall guy. Holds all records as well its a shame this is how it ends even for players who couldn't have given a drop more sweat for the cause. Say what you like but hearing Rooneyyyyyyyyy will be something I always will miss.

Walters_19_MuFc

Will call for a tweak, and have 1 deeper mid, and Pog and Rooney ahead.

Although we are very conditioned to Rooney playing whatever the situation and it does seem like that might change

If there hadn't already been stories of Schweiny being one we're looking to bin, I wouldn't be adverse to him and Schniederlin being the 2 man mid, as they'll have more pace around them this year with Shaw fit and Mik here now. That'd be a solid barrier for Pogba to be free up field.
It really won't. We're trying to complicate things too much. Despite it only being pre-season, we know Mourinho favours a 4231, and that's what we saw against Wigan in his first game.

If/when we get Pogba, I can imagine we will play him next to either, Carrick or Schneiderlin, with Rooney/Mata as the 10.

Pogba/Herrera - Carrick/Schneiderlin
Rooney/Mata

Djemba-Djemba

I keep thinking of what our best 11 could be next season and it looks mint on paper.

And then I remember Rooney and that we'll have to shoehorn him into the side, for the start of the season at least, and then some of my excitement for the new season dissipates :(

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I keep thinking of what our best 11 could be next season and it looks mint on paper.

And then I remember Rooney and that we'll have to shoehorn him into the side, for the start of the season at least, and then some of my excitement for the new season dissipates :(
This.

baanke laal

banned
They will ruin his confidence.
Mourinho should implement Woy Hodgson's style of increasing a player's confidence - like he did with Torres. Play 9 attackers against 2 CBs (Blind and Rojo) and let rooney score a lot of goals in training.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Following the arrival of Mourinho to replace Dutchman Louis van Gaal, who was sacked in May, there has been speculation over the future of Wayne Rooney at Old Trafford.

The 30-year-old was made captain by the previous boss and is just four goals adrift of Sir Bobby Charlton's club record of 249, but was part of a disappointing Euro 2016 with England in the summer, playing as a midfielder.

Rooney was the subject of two failed transfer bids from Chelsea when Mourinho was manager in 2013.

"I am quite surprised with so many question marks around this guy," said Mourinho. "He is the club captain, he is the manager's captain, he is the players' captain.

"I trust him a lot. I think he's going to be a very important player for me and no problem for him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36857733

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Following the arrival of Mourinho to replace Dutchman Louis van Gaal, who was sacked in May, there has been speculation over the future of Wayne Rooney at Old Trafford.

The 30-year-old was made captain by the previous boss and is just four goals adrift of Sir Bobby Charlton's club record of 249, but was part of a disappointing Euro 2016 with England in the summer, playing as a midfielder.

Rooney was the subject of two failed transfer bids from Chelsea when Mourinho was manager in 2013.

"I am quite surprised with so many question marks around this guy," said Mourinho. "He is the club captain, he is the manager's captain, he is the players' captain.

"I trust him a lot. I think he's going to be a very important player for me and no problem for him."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36857733
:(

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Mourinho has to back Rooney at this point. Who wouldnt at this stage? The difference, however, is that Mourinho will drop him if he doesnt perform. He wont be scared to.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Mourinho has to back Rooney at this point. Who wouldnt at this stage? The difference, however, is that Mourinho will drop him if he doesnt perform. He wont be scared to.
Same was said about LvG.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Same was said about LvG.
And Moyes. I lot of people thought Moyes would drop him/sell him because of the issues they had with each other at Everton and the public statement Moyes made that made Rooney "angry and confused".

Perrick Dubois

Sensible remarks really, I said in the other thread - if anyone is going to get Rooney on the right path then it will obviously be Mourinho. If Rooney is doing well, the team is doing well. We start winning games and scoring loads of goals, people will stop moaning all the time about him. There is nobody I trust more in world football to get the best out of Rooney than Jose. I see it as his own personal project to get him to play well, score goals and provide assists. Short of straight up binning him, I think I'd rather watch a manager at least try to extract the last dregs of something out of him and succeed. Opposed to a manager like Van Gaal who went through 12 forwards trying to find the right one and didn't change a single thing before being sacked because of purposely pursuing some the worst and most ineffective football the club has ever seen in its history.

This also applies to Rooney, rather than desperately attempting to saddle Rooney with burden of being the sole reason why we played such awful football last year, I prefer to look at it from the other angle. Why on earth you would start and then persist for so long with a 5'8" striker in the lone striker role with barely any support and licence to stray from the central position and expect that striker (after many others had failed) to be effective when he has almost never played or shown an affinity to the role in the entirety of his career.

Oh well, Val Gaal is gone and lets see what Jose can get out of him. I guarantee (even also as a collective) it will be a whole hell of a lot more than Van Gaal.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
“I want to play against City,” Rooney said. “Training has gone well. I have had 3 weeks off and obviously you lose a bit of fitness, but I feel good, so I want to get out back playing and I am sure I will play some part on Monday

“I’ve been working under the manager for the last few days and the sessions have been very good.

“It is exciting. He is one of the best managers in world football and he has a clear idea of what he wants. I’m just looking forward to playing for him now.

“I came to Manchester United because I wanted to work under Sir Alex Ferguson and then in the latter years, what Mourinho has done in football, in Spain and Italy and England, he is a manager who you want to play under because he is one of the best around and to learn from what he brings its going to be exciting for me.”

With an Old Trafford testimonial against Everton looming on August 3, Rooney goes into the new season reflecting on his twelve years at United, which have brought more highs than lows, but the recent disappointment of failing to build on Ferguson’s legacy of success since the Scot retired in 2013.

Rooney insists, though, that the team is now ready to challenge again under Mourinho.

“Now Jose has come in and made some very good signings, including experienced players like Zlatan (Ibrahimovic), who has worked all over Europe.

“We have that experience of trophy-winning trophies back, so I feel we are in a good place at the minute and we can give it a good go next season.

“I think as captain, obviously if you win it, you are in a position to lift the trophy.

“If we do win it I will lift the trophy, but we win as a team and to me as captain, it would be great of course.

“If the opportunity does come this season it would be good. We have made some good signings. We have a great manager and we will have a go and I am sure we will challenge.”

Mourinho has insisted that he sees Rooney as a goalscorer, a player capable of hurting opponents as a number nine or ten, and the player has no doubts in his ability to justify his manager’s faith.

“As he said in his press conference, he spoke to me about playing number ten,” Rooney said. “That is something I’ve now got to work on and get myself in the right position to score goals.

“But I have scored goals all through my career and I have no doubt in my goalscoring ability. Hopefully I can do that this season.”

Playing under Mourinho, whose teams have previously been prolific in front of goal, will, Rooney believes, increase his goalscoring chances following two years under Van Gaal’s less offensive approach.

“As a striker in the last couple of seasons, it has been difficult with not creating many chances,” Rooney said. “But it’s a different way of playing, a different manager, different ideas and if I can bring my game and qualities to this team, then I know I can create chances and score goals, there is no doubt about that.

“I’m a footballer, so I like to be involved in the game, and I am now playing for Jose who, straightaway, has no fears about players coming deep if they want to.

“It’s almost like a free role and I am excited to play it.”

paulscholes18

“I want to play against City,” Rooney said. “Training has gone well. I have had 3 weeks off and obviously you lose a bit of fitness, but I feel good, so I want to get out back playing and I am sure I will play some part on Monday

“I’ve been working under the manager for the last few days and the sessions have been very good.

“It is exciting. He is one of the best managers in world football and he has a clear idea of what he wants. I’m just looking forward to playing for him now.

“I came to Manchester United because I wanted to work under Sir Alex Ferguson and then in the latter years, what Mourinho has done in football, in Spain and Italy and England, he is a manager who you want to play under because he is one of the best around and to learn from what he brings its going to be exciting for me.”

With an Old Trafford testimonial against Everton looming on August 3, Rooney goes into the new season reflecting on his twelve years at United, which have brought more highs than lows, but the recent disappointment of failing to build on Ferguson’s legacy of success since the Scot retired in 2013.

Rooney insists, though, that the team is now ready to challenge again under Mourinho.

“Now Jose has come in and made some very good signings, including experienced players like Zlatan (Ibrahimovic), who has worked all over Europe.

“We have that experience of trophy-winning trophies back, so I feel we are in a good place at the minute and we can give it a good go next season.

“I think as captain, obviously if you win it, you are in a position to lift the trophy.

“If we do win it I will lift the trophy, but we win as a team and to me as captain, it would be great of course.

“If the opportunity does come this season it would be good. We have made some good signings. We have a great manager and we will have a go and I am sure we will challenge.”

Mourinho has insisted that he sees Rooney as a goalscorer, a player capable of hurting opponents as a number nine or ten, and the player has no doubts in his ability to justify his manager’s faith.

“As he said in his press conference, he spoke to me about playing number ten,” Rooney said. “That is something I’ve now got to work on and get myself in the right position to score goals.

“But I have scored goals all through my career and I have no doubt in my goalscoring ability. Hopefully I can do that this season.”

Playing under Mourinho, whose teams have previously been prolific in front of goal, will, Rooney believes, increase his goalscoring chances following two years under Van Gaal’s less offensive approach.

As a striker in the last couple of seasons, it has been difficult with not creating many chances,” Rooney said. “But it’s a different way of playing, a different manager, different ideas and if I can bring my game and qualities to this team, then I know I can create chances and score goals, there is no doubt about that.

“I’m a footballer, so I like to be involved in the game, and I am now playing for Jose who, straightaway, has no fears about players coming deep if they want to.

Cheap dig at LVG

dichinero

“As a striker in the last couple of seasons, it has been difficult with not creating many chances,” Rooney said. “But it’s a different way of playing, a different manager, different ideas and if I can bring my game and qualities to this team, then I know I can create chances and score goals, there is no doubt about that.

So we are expecting you to tear up the league then Wayne? I expect!

NinjaFletch

And also something that is conveniently left out of a lot of the criticisms of Rooney over LVGs tenure.
Because its nonsense. Van Gaal didn't have the best of luck with strikers, and his system didn't help. But the consistent theme is that players that looked rubbish there (Falcao, Van Perise) continued to look rubbish after they were gone.

The fact Rashford came in and outperformed Rooney doesn't create much in the way of hope that now Van Gaal's gone suddenly Rooney is going to flick a switch and go back to being a player we haven't seen for a long time.

Lostie007

I just want a manager who will show Rooney who's boss for once. It is like every manager loves him.. even when he's shite.

Maybe we have to rely on Big Sam in England for that as Mourinho seems to be still drinking his Rooney cool aid.

His reputation has saved him for too long.

Art Vandelay

Even if he gets some semblance of form back and can actually keep it for a consistent period without months of awfulness, surely Mhiktaryan is still a better option at no. 10 now.

Jazz

Rooney will have his usual a couple of games he does well and then revert back to form. He won't be able to blame LVG when that happens, so he will blame Jose and on and on we go.

I hope Jose isn't falling for any of Rooney's flattery because it's all lies. I'm not doing what I did last season hoping LVG knew what he was doing making Rooney the 'main man'. In spite of everything pointing to the contrary, folks were still hoping for a Rooney revival which never came, and I don't believe it will be happening with Jose.

If Jose falls for this shit and is not ruthless with Rooney, he'll be sacked.

Jazz

I just want a manager who will show Rooney who's boss for once. It is like every manager loves him.. even when he's shite.

Maybe we have to rely on Big Sam in England for that as Mourinho seems to be still drinking his Rooney cool aid.

His reputation has saved him for too long.
I'm hoping Jose is just being political about Rooney. If he truly believes he can trust him to deliver, then we will not be winning the league. We will all be hoping to make top four like the last couple of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.