5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarstoolProphet

Some comments here seem so salty. Every manager has praised Rooney and I'm sure they understand more about football than some random football fans on a football forum.
Yeah, once again, why do we have a discussion board at all? Clearly everyone at a football club knows better than random football fans on Internet.

saivet

You're awfully preoccupied with his sleeves. :lol:

I don't think long sleeves make that much difference anyway, those tops are designed to vent anyway are they not? Maybe underneath he actually doesn't have the top on and is just wearing the sleeves to mess with your mind.
It's something that's bugged me for a while. I've said nothing, but now I've snapped.

I don't think they do vent away heat otherwise one would assume that other players would do it, but it's just him.

On the bold :lol: damn, never thought of that

sunama

Baghdad Bob
There are many ways to deal with issues and Mourinho has few times chosen the wrong way and made things worse.

It will be interesting to see how he deals with Rooney.
So maybe, the right way would be to sell Rooney right now, so he can't cause any unrest, when he eventually is benched or asked to take a secondary role?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So maybe, the right way would be to sell Rooney right now, so he can't cause any unrest, when he eventually is benched or asked to take a secondary role?
I don't know and I openly admit I am not qualified to make that decision, let alone one of the best managers in the world whose job includes to make such decisions.

But if you still want my opinion he should have been sold in 2013.

drdoityourself

I can't remember reading about him acknowledging that his performances have been below-par. That article on the earlier page there was a sly dig at LvG, passing the blame on. He implied in the season just passed that he was getting criticized just because he is Wayne Rooney.

So there is no indication of him seeing a higher ceiling for himself, that worries me.

He's become so comfortable, so complacent over the years that his enormous fire and drive that were his stand out features have completely vanished. As an early developer his body also looks shot so I just can't see him turn it around again.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If you can't live without the over the top Mourinho love-in, then at least get your facts right. The only time Mourinho won the league with RM Casillas played all but 1 league games.

After that and also last year as Mourinho found out you also don't just feck around with the players otherwise they won't perform for you.
There are many ways to deal with issues and Mourinho has few times chosen the wrong way and made things worse.

Isn't that what my comments implied? That he fecks over casillas, having the media shitstorm, and still winning the league?

Nah, there's nothing wrong with what Mourinho's doing, it's always painful to pluck out a well rooted legend like casillas and rooney, they don't have the grace to step down by themselves and rather cause a shitstorm for being dropped.

dichinero

Option A: Sell him now. Endure a month of media and Caf meltdown and we all forget it. The season would be too interesting to be in mourning. Get some good money for him too.

Option B: Keep him. Wait for 4 months to get in shape, spend the whole season figuring out how to use him, endure another season of excuses. Gets injured for another 2 months.

united_99

Isn't that what my comments implied? That he fecks over casillas, having the media shitstorm, and still winning the league?

Nah, there's nothing wrong with what Mourinho's doing, it's always painful to pluck out a well rooted legend like casillas and rooney, they don't have the grace to step down by themselves and rather cause a shitstorm for being dropped.
He fecked over Casillas after they had won the league.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I can't remember reading about him acknowledging that his performances have been below-par. That article on the earlier page there was a sly dig at LvG, passing the blame on. He implied in the season just passed that he was getting criticized just because he is Wayne Rooney.

So there is no indication of him seeing a higher ceiling for himself, that worries me.

He's become so comfortable, so complacent over the years that his enormous fire and drive that were his stand out features have completely vanished. As an early developer his body also looks shot so I just can't see him turn it around again.
Absolutely all of this. The big problem is he doesn't believe he needs to improve or take responsibility for his poor performances. I can only hope Ed/Glazers & Jose get tough with him this season. No waiting around for him to find 'form' whilst the rest of the team suffer, or we're winning nothing this season.

Art Vandelay

Yeah that's one of the most worrying aspects, that he seems to be under no pressure or inclination to accept any sort of responsibility for his performances. There's always an excuse and it's always someone else's fault. He's supposed to be our captain yet seems to be perfectly happy with performances that are simply nowhere near good enough. Hopefully Mourinho won't stand for it and I doubt Zlatan will pussy foot around it.

Jazz

Option A: Sell him now. Endure a month of media and Caf meltdown and we all forget it. The season would be too interesting to be in mourning. Get some good money for him too.

Option B: Keep him. Wait for 4 months to get in shape, spend the whole season figuring out how to use him, endure another season of excuses. Gets injured for another 2 months.
Option A is the best one, but I doubt anyone will buy him. Indeed, they won't be able to afford his wages. United would have to pay off his contract - which although expensive, is worth it imho.
Option B means losing games, not challenging for the title, and possibly not making top four. Not to mention, lots of money lost, damage to the brand etc etc

Therefore, even though it won't happen, paying him off is actually the best solution in my mind.

Jazz

Yeah that's one of the most worrying aspects, that he seems to be under no pressure or inclination to accept any sort of responsibility for his performances. There's always an excuse and it's always someone else's fault. He's supposed to be our captain yet seems to be perfectly happy with performances that are simply nowhere near good enough. Hopefully Mourinho won't stand for it and I doubt Zlatan will pussy foot around it.
He's always been like this though. Remember one of SAF's coaching team comparing Rooney's and Ronaldo's work ethic? Said Rooney wasn't keen on doing more work because he felt he didn't need it or some such. Basically felt he was great already and didn't need to improve anything, unlike Ronny. If this mentality was there even during Sir Alex's period, then no way is that going to change now.

Art Vandelay

He's always been like this though. Remember one of SAF's coaching team comparing Rooney's and Ronaldo's work ethic? Said Rooney wasn't keen on doing more work because he felt he didn't need it or some such. Basically felt he was great already and didn't need to improve anything, unlike Ronny. If this mentality was there even during Sir Alex's period, then no way is that going to change now.
Yeah I think it was Mulensteen that said Ronaldo trains like he wants to be the best, Rooney trains like he is already the best. I mean it's not really surprising given that it was actually news when he turned up to pre-season fit one year having worked on it in the summer. I vaguely remember something about Sir Alex and the coaching staff telling him he needed to work on something and him saying he didn't have to. I can't remember the exact story though.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I vaguely remember something about Sir Alex and the coaching staff telling him he needed to work on something and him saying he didn't have to. I can't remember the exact story though.
He told SAF & his coaches that he 'couldn't do any more and had nothing to prove.' This is our Captain, people. Sheesh...

Last edited:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Imagine if Rooney suddenly turns into a WC player again this season scoring 20+ goals, tearing defences apart etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Imagine if Rooney suddenly turns into a WC player again this season scoring 20+ goals, tearing defences apart etc.
I'd be happy as it would mean we would probably win the league. Can't see it happening though

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
♫Imagine there's no Rooney
It's easy if you try♫

Art Vandelay

He told SAF & his coaches that he 'couldn't so any more and had nothing to prove.' This is our Captain, people. Sheesh...
Yeah we've known about his attitude for years, which makes the contract and captaincy even more mind boggling. We made some right disastrous decisions the last few years.

itso 7

Unfortunately Mourinho seems to have chosen Option Lame: suck up to Rooney and let him play you out of a job. Just like LVG did, soon we will be experts at this sacking lark.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
If you can't live without the over the top Mourinho love-in, then at least get your facts right. The only time Mourinho won the league with RM Casillas played all but 1 league games.

After that and also last year as Mourinho found out you also don't just feck around with the players otherwise they won't perform for you.

Jose was right about Casillas though.

united_99

Jose was right about Casillas though.
That's not the point he was making. He said despite all the shitstorm due to the Casillas row Jose won the league. Whereas the row started in the season 2012/13 when he didn't win anything. They won the league the season before in which Casillas started 37 league games.

00ivatsa

You've been asked it because you are stating things that don't seem to have much in common with what's actually been happening on the pitch for several years now. It doesn't matter where you're from that's a moot point given the availability of the PL. He's been poor for several years yet you seem to be in denial as if you haven't actually seen him. Rooney has been given far more leeway than any other player for years and yet has still consistently failed to deliver.
I agree he has been poor, although not to the extent that people suggest here. But I also believe he should be given a chance and people should actually try and support him for a change. If Mourinho can't get him performing, he definitely should either accept a lesser role or move on to the US.

To me, for all Rooney has done at the club, he deserves the right to retire here, if he wants that. Obviously he shouldn't play regularly if he is not in form or cannot be consistent, but if he agrees to a lesser role, his experience and his sheer presence will be valuable to the younger players. That's how I feel on the subject and I won't apologise for appreciating a United legend.

00ivatsa

Yeah, once again, why do we have a discussion board at all? Clearly everyone at a football club knows better than random football fans on Internet.
Fair enough, didn't really mean that people should not discuss him.

It just gets so nasty at times and I don't see why is there a need to constantly abuse him so much. It's like people want him to fail so they can brag about being right the whole time.

itso 7

I agree he has been poor, although not to the extent that people suggest here. But I also believe he should be given a chance and people should actually try and support him for a change. If Mourinho can't get him performing, he definitely should either accept a lesser role or move on to the US.

To me, for all Rooney has done at the club, he deserves the right to retire here, if he wants that. Obviously he shouldn't play regularly if he is not in form or cannot be consistent, but if he agrees to a lesser role, his experience and his sheer presence will be valuable to the younger players. That's how I feel on the subject and I won't apologise for appreciating a United legend.
I think you will find that a lot of people wouldn't have a problem with him if what you're suggesting is how he was being treated i.e play when his form dictates and sit out like everyone else when his form goes Sunday League. But IT'S NOT and indications from Mourinho are it won't be meaning that the team will lose valuable points early on or maybe throughout the season trying to accommodate him. Its frustrating because we can all see it coming.

dichinero

It's things like this that would hinder the club from moving forward. It's like fans enjoy hugging history while the world passes by. Raul of Real, Xavi of Barcelona, Del Piero of Juventus; bigger legends and better players at clubs that essentially raised them did not have to retire there. When these players left their respective clubs, they were still performing at a higher level at Rooney in their mid thirties. These clubs have moved on replaced these legends and are way ahead of United footballing wise.
The right, If he wants? What the heck does that mean. Do we support Wayne Rooney or United? Because of what he has done? Why don't we keep Rio, Nev, Brown et al, they were part of United's golden era and by that should stay here!
A player should be at the club as long as he is actively helping the club progress on the pitch not just because of what he has done in the past like they did it for free and out of their generosity, the kindness of their heart and their undying love for the club.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Unless he's planning to retire soon, then nah, not really. If he wanted a squad role for a couple of years to then move into coaching, then maybe, but the problem is that he's largely still been used as one of our main players and that may continue, despite the fact he's not good enough to occupy such a role any longer. I'm all for keeping a club legend around, but only if the role they have within the squad suits them. Rooney's current role (as captain and main man) is beyond what his footballing ability is now capable of.

00ivatsa

Unless he's planning to retire soon, then nah, not really. If he wanted a squad role for a couple of years to then move into coaching, then maybe, but the problem is that he's largely still been used as one of our main players and that may continue, despite the fact he's not good enough to occupy such a role any longer. I'm all for keeping a club legend around, but only if the role they have within the squad suits them. Rooney's current role (as captain and main man) is beyond what his footballing ability is now capable of.
I respect your opinion. But in my belief, he can still contribute a lot this season. Mourinho will give him a deserved chance, as he said himself, and with players like Ibra, Mkhitaryan and Martial, we should definitely produce a lot of chances in attack. So this is a do-or-die season for Rooney.

Out of interest, would you still want him out if we win the league and he is a regular starter during the season?

Womp

idiot
I respect your opinion. But in my belief, he can still contribute a lot this season. Mourinho will give him a deserved chance, as he said himself, and with players like Ibra, Mkhitaryan and Martial, we should definitely produce a lot of chances in attack. So this is a do-or-die season for Rooney.

Out of interest, would you still want him out if we win the league and he is a regular starter during the season?
Yes, he's not good enough anymore, simple as. Romanticising has no place in football, we can't hold onto a player just because he's been a very good player for us in the past. He is slow, sluggish at times and slows down play. Under Jose it's most likely we will adapt a fast paced counter-attacking set up, one in which I believe Rooney won't excel in. He doesn't have the speed or tenacity he use to to thrive in such a system.

He's simply too slow and erratic now imo, but he's still a big house-hold name and marketable which is why I think the club will keep trying to shoe-horn him.

dichinero

No, I hope this is his last season. To be honest, I absolutely have no confidence in him turning it around. I've been here too many times and I've just given up really. It's as easy as he is on a steep decline and in such cases there is no point in hoping which is what many Rooney loving fans are doing.

As I always say; Windows 98 was great in 98 and might still do a basic job in 2016 but it is not good enough to run an organisation in 2016 at the highest level.

clarkydaz

He belongs in the glory years, and I mean that in a nice way. The club needs to move forward, and quite comfortably could do

manutddjw

Here's the problem I see. We're going to play him as the #10 which means we have to play with 2 midfielders. All our midfielders including one we're about to spend over 100 million on are better served playing in a 3. We're not putting out our best team to accommodate a fading star whose been poor for the last 2 seasons. Not a good decision.

Art Vandelay

Why is it a deserved chance though? He was one of our worst players in a spell where we were nowhere near good enough. Yes he was good for us before, but the last few years he's not done enough to show he deserves another chance. How many years is it now that people are waiting for him to get back to his best while making excuses for the latest failure? For a lot of people he's simply just used up all his chances. If the reason he deserves another chance is because he did well for us when we were a good team years ago, then Bobby Charlton deserves another chance too.

Art Vandelay

Here's the problem I see. We're going to play him as the #10 which means we have to play with 2 midfielders. All our midfielders including one we're about to spend over 100 million on are better served playing in a 3. We're not putting out our best team to accommodate a fading star whose been poor for the last 2 seasons. Not a good decision.
Yeah. You think about our squad and come up with a decent starting 11 then realise you need to change it to get him in because he's going to play. Next thing you know you've got several players playing out of position to accommodate him. Again.

We all know how it ends, we've been here before. We can only hope this time the manager has the balls to do something about it when the inevitable "needs 10 matches to get going" or pub player form hits.

dichinero

Why is it a deserved chance though? He was one of our worst players in a spell where we were nowhere near good enough. Yes he was good for us before, but the last few years he's not done enough to show he deserves another chance. How many years is it now that people are waiting for him to get back to his best while making excuses for the latest failure? For a lot of people he's simply just used up all his chances. If the reason he deserves another chance is because he did well for us when we were a good team years ago, then Bobby Charlton deserves another chance too.
I think people are still suffering from the hype that has been ingrained in their memories. Some people just can't accept the fact that he did not live up to the hype that was laid down for him. United fans are happy to quash the hype of other club's players but can't deal with the fact that our own golden boy did not match up either. At one time it was predicted that Ronaldo could not get anywhere near Rooney's predicted ceiling and I too almost believed that. Some will not give up until he is regarded as the best player in the world that also coincidentally plays for United.

Art Vandelay

I think people are still suffering from the hype that has been ingrained in their memories. Some people just can't accept the fact that he did not live up to the hype that was laid down for him. United fans are happy to quash the hype of other club's players but can't deal with the fact that our own golden boy did not match up either. At one time it was predicted that Ronaldo could not get anywhere near Rooney's predicted ceiling and I too almost believed that. Some will not give up until he is regarded as the best player in the world that also coincidentally plays for United.
It's almost scary at times how the media perception of him can cloud things.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
It's things like this that would hinder the club from moving forward. It's like fans enjoy hugging history while the world passes by. Raul of Real, Xavi of Barcelona, Del Piero of Juventus; bigger legends and better players at clubs that essentially raised them did not have to retire there. When these players left their respective clubs, they were still performing at a higher level at Rooney in their mid thirties. These clubs have moved on replaced these legends and are way ahead of United footballing wise.
The right, If he wants? What the heck does that mean. Do we support Wayne Rooney or United? Because of what he has done? Why don't we keep Rio, Nev, Brown et al, they were part of United's golden era and by that should stay here!
A player should be at the club as long as he is actively helping the club progress on the pitch not just because of what he has done in the past like they did it for free and out of their generosity, the kindness of their heart and their undying love for the club.
You should get an award.

Status
Not open for further replies.