5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bugmat

Instead of turning into the defenders path, he should have spun left. Your right about his reaction though.
This - people excusing him having no obvious pass as a reason for him losing the ball easily is just silly. Plenty of people try to counter and then wait for the rest to catch up without giving the ball back to the opposition.

Minimalist

Interesting mention of Rooney's different roles there by Neville, where he mentioned that Rooney was played as a striker getting maybe 20 touches on the ball per game and is now played deeper getting 100 touches per game.

By far our best run of games since SAF left was that streak against Spurs, Liverpool, Villa and City in the 14/15 season. Rooney played as the sole striker in all four of those games, pushing the back line and not getting involved as much in the build-up. Our team actually looked like a collective unit, shutting out the opposition and creating goals.

Falcao was played as a striker in the next game, against Chelsea, while Rooney was pushed deeper. We lost that game and the two games after that.

It might be a coincidence, but not involving Rooney as much definitely wasn't a hindrance on the team.
This is pretty much the truth. The only thing Rooney is capable of (and this is on the condition he stays up there and does what he's instructed to do), is knocking in goals. I think even his goal scoring ability isn't what it should be but I'd never doubt his ability to be a decent no.9 if the rest of the team was playing coherently enough to provide good clear chances for him.

As you say, the more Rooney involves himself, generally it seems the worse off (slow and plodding) the play becomes.

Red_toad

The Rooney fans remind me of Moyes's fans, like Pogue who were defending him till he was sacked and even continued afterwards. There's just no convincing them.

You should all just give up.
This is how I feel about all the none original posters, who rush to spout their bile on every single Rooney thread. It's tedious and some what embarrassing.
i fail to see any point in any Rooney thread now. Yes he's past his prime, no he's not really worthy of a starting place, but really how many times does it need to be said & what is the objective in posting the same shite over and over again?

Minimalist

This is how I feel about all the none original posters, who rush to spout their bile on every single Rooney thread. It's tedious and some what embarrassing.
i fail to see any point in any Rooney thread now. Yes he's past his prime, no he's not really worthy of a starting place, but really how many times does it need to be said & what is the objective in posting the same shite over and over again?
The only repetitive stuff is when certain posters decide to be contrarian without any substance and the same arguments get started over again.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is though if you mean posters mentioning his performances from the previous game? Isn't that the point of it?

If he plays well I'll have no trouble saying it.

LouisDanGaal

He is one of the best at reading the game, which is why my money is on Rooney not being here by the start of next season. I note that you say Martial has been poor, when he was our driving force against Bournemouth. Without his dribbling and directness with the ball, we would have struggled to have put them on the back foot.

It would have all been backwards and sidewards passing without his courage on the ball.
Mourinho thinks very short term, if Rooney isn't up to standards he won't be in the team next week. So far he looks like being a key player for us,.

Martial was not more of a driving force in particular, he had an off day with the ball at his feet. Hopefully, fingers crossed he gets back to his best on Friday, If we are going to get anywhere this season he will be one of if not our key player.

dichinero

Mourinho thinks very short term, if Rooney isn't up to standards he won't be in the team next week. So far he looks like being a key player for us,.

Martial was not more of a driving force in particular, he had an off day with the ball at his feet. Hopefully, fingers crossed he gets back to his best on Friday, If we are going to get anywhere this season he will be one of if not our key player.
It's only been one game and he's been subbed twice

Last edited:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Whats embarrassing is some of the posters who think a goal masks his shit performances time and time again. Our bile is backed up by hard fact, we can see he is playing shit before our very eyes.. whereas posters who rush to defend him have no merit to their cause.

If he genuinely played well in a game, I would say he's played well.. in the past year I recall a few games where he genuinely was decent and I praised him like many others in this forum.

How can any respectable football fan watch our last game and think he genuinely had a good game, to the standard expected by Manchester United.. how can their opinions be taken seriously?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
100% disagree. We have better options than Rooney in every position that he can possibly play in so how the heck did you come up with this statement!?!
He's on about Martial. It is the bit above that line which you should be taking issue with.. 'looks like [he has successfully manipulated his way into] being a key player for us'.

ottosec

Somebody on reddit made a compilation of his team of the week performance.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Somebody on reddit made a compilation of his "performance".
Not really. That's a compilation of every bad touch. There's another (much longer) video knocking round of his overall performance. Which give a more accurate impression of his game. Some bad bits. Some good bits. Not great but not terrible either.

Godfather

Not really. That's a compilation of every bad touch. There's another (much longer) video knocking round of his overall performance. Which give a more accurate impression of his game. Some bad bits. Some good bits. Not great but not terrible either.
It's pretty bad Pogue. Certainly not good enough for a number 10 starting every game

Dinghy

Somebody on reddit made a compilation of his team of the week performance.
Feck me, it was even worse than I remembered it to be. The funny thing is this was massive progression from the Leicester-game. That may be one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a supposed to be top player.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah, I don't think it was good enough overall either.

That's a deliberately misleading video though. You could do a "lowlights" clip of every player, after almost every game, that would look similarly crap.
Of course, but then there's context. Not every player gets the same undeserved luxury that Rooney is afforded in that they can have a game as shockingly bad as this, on a consistent basis over the past few years mind you, and still be a guaranteed starter regardless.

This isn't a one off game or him in some bad form; this is standard Rooney. Well, apart from when he's playing as a #8 where he's actually decent that is.

settembrini

That may be one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a supposed to be top player.
It's basically an average Rooney performance imo.

I'd love to see a similar video from that game against Villa last season. Some of the ways in which he was losing the ball were extraordinary.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

That's a deliberately misleading video though. You could do a "lowlights" clip of every player, after almost every game, that would look similarly crap.
You're right in that this is not totally representative of how he was. The other video gives a better overall view. I would say though that you'd really struggle to find so many highlights of mistakes and lack of control for any other player, let alone someone who's a supposed talisman for their team. The horrendous lack of a first touch is difficult to miss.

Opposition players know how poor he is and they immediately gang up on him and win the ball back. His fear factor has completely dried up. I challenge you to come up with the "good bits" (plural). My memory or biased thinking might be working against me.

fellaini's barber

Come on Pogue FFS, this isn't a 'lowlight video'. Its a clip of what happened most of the times Rooney got the ball, someone posted a full video of every touch he had it wasn't much better.I've seen Ibra and Mata's videos of the same game, they didn't have great games but nothing compared to this shocker, if I could even call it that. This is the norm, and I'm pretty sure the Leicester game was worse

Djemba-Djemba

It's basically an average Rooney performance imo.

I'd love to see a similar video from that game against Villa last season. Some of the ways in which he was losing the ball were extraordinary.
His performance at Villa Park last season is the worst I've ever seen him play and quite possibly the worst individual performance I've seen for Utd. He was so bad in that game, I think he he even admitted he was poor.

A compilation of that performance would have to rated NSFW.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
You're right in that this is not totally representative of how he was. The other video gives a better overall view. I would say though that you'd really struggle to find so many highlights of mistakes and lack of control for any other player, let alone someone who's a supposed talisman for their team. The horrendous lack of a first touch is difficult to miss.

Opposition players know how poor he is and they immediately gang up on him and win the ball back. His fear factor has completely dried up. I challenge you to come up with the "good bits" (plural). My memory or biased thinking might be working against me.
This is definitely happening. He's being singled out to be put under pressure. The number of times Leicester attempted a counter after getting the ball off him was concerning.

NinjaFletch

Come on Pogue FFS, this isn't a 'lowlight video'. Its a clip of what happened most of the times Rooney got the ball, someone posted a full video of every touch he had it wasn't much better.I've seen Ibra and Mata's videos of the same game, they didn't have great games but nothing compared to this shocker, if I could even call it that. This is the norm, and I'm pretty sure the Leicester game was worse
Of course its a lowlight video.

Honestly, I find it a little ridiculous the lengths people will go to to criticise Rooney. He looks bad enough in the full video without having to amplify the criticism tenfold just to make the point.

fellaini's barber

Honestly, I find it a little ridiculous the lengths people will go to to criticise Rooney. He looks bad enough in the full video without having to amplify the criticism tenfold just to make the point.
Is there anything special in the full video to make any signifcance to this video?Like the few successfull 2 yards sideways passses?

clarkydaz

yes but stats say he had a good game, Danny Murphy said 'superb'. Naturally this irks people

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I agree, but would they be so long? That is many touches and passes that he screwed up.

Edit: and apart from a header of moderate difficulty, there isn't much else in a potential highlights video to offset this either.
If you look at Zlatan, you have terrible losses of possession, bad pace, but you have a few good passes (including the one to Rooney here), a goal out of nothing, and some muscular hold-up play.
OTOH, Martial, who I thought was as bad as Rooney, had a couple of good runs to compensate for some horrendously misplaced passes, poor shots, and bad dribbles.

AndyJ1985

Either way he certainly didn't put in a performance worthy of being in the team of the week. It emphasises the media bias towards him.

fallengt

Mourinho thinks very short term, if Rooney isn't up to standards he won't be in the team next week. So far he looks like being a key player for us,..
Tell that to ivanovic, he was utterly dogshit last season and Mourinhou inexplicably trusted him .
I can see same thing happening here. Rooney can literally shit on the field and somehow get away with it.

Womp

idiot
Not sure if it's been posted but rumours circulating that he wants an improved contract, earning even more cash. :lol: Pogba, Ibra, Mkhitryan, Bailly - yet if Ed gives Rooney a contract extension I will go back to having the opinion that he is clueless.

Everything he offered us last game, Mata could do, much better even. The time it takes him to control the ball and then release it or turn isn't practical for a number 10 playing in a team that aims to be a dominant force in Europe again.

Status
Not open for further replies.