Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I just hope rooney will be man enough not to cause a ruckus when he finally got benched.

He should at least do this much for all the money and most of all time we give him. Time to take one for the team wayne. At least that way you get your respect back, at least from me.

redflair

A big match will arrrive where Rooney is ineffective at the 60-ish minute mark - and we're in dire need of a goal.

That will be the cue for Henrikh to come on and try to change the game with a wonderful assist or goal.

If we win, then that will lead to calls for Henrikh to start more often instead of old Wayne.

Of course, Miki could still do that by replacing Mata but that's a different story.

Wayne's end will be nigh when a sub comes on in his place, and changes the game. Until then, he'll probaly start most PL games.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Avoided this thread like a plague for the past few days. Was decent enough on Friday, so there was no reason for me to be angry.

Adisa

MLS bosses trying to persuade him to join. According to the Mirror.

jojose

Passing a ball 5 yards isn't an assist I am interested in. It's pure Stats filler. Yes he took his header well but that required him not to move - which is something he's struggling with recently.

At the end of the day he plays upfront for 1 of the strongest teams in the league, he should by all means be getting creating and scoring every week.

Right now he's hanging on like a thread. Once his padded assists stop there's going to be nothing else saving him. Once he used to get passed it by having a good all round game, but that's gone.
I completely agree. I am not defending Rooney. I am defending Mourinho. The guy who's post I replied to was saying Jose is 100% wrong. He isn't.

We all have opinions on Rooney and the majority (me included) think he's declined to a level not good enough to play a prominent role for us.

Unfortunately, he's the darling of the press, club captain and on the biggest contract we have ever given out. Bombing him out without giving him a chance would give Jose unnecessary problems. Jose is handling it very well. He's given him his chance and (stat wise) he's producing. However, he's been replaced in the last 3 games. Jose is calculated. We all know he uses the press to send players and opposition messages. Replacing a player every game is saying something. Jose is phasing out Rooney and is doing so in a way to reduce media fall out and the effect on the squad and team.

For the record, If mata played in the hole of Zlatan with Martial and Miki wide I am fairly confident he'd get 15 goals and 15 assists. I don't think Rooney will get anywhere near that.

Perrick Dubois

Or, the less convoluted explanation, Mourinho rates Rooney as a more useful player than Guardiola rates Hart?
Come now Pogue, you'll be lynched for suggesting that there is a sizable portion that would love to see us fail and Rooney binned off than a manager actually manage him properly and get him contributing something worthwhile. Because Jose hasn't a clue what he's doing.. Or something?

MLS bosses trying to persuade him to join. According to the Mirror.
You should just go back to avoiding the thread instead of posting one line transfer tidbits from the tabloids for literally no reason at all.

Adisa

Come now Pogue, you'll be lynched for suggesting that there is a sizable portion that would love to see us fail and Rooney binned off than a manager actually manage him properly and get him contributing something worthwhile. Because Jose hasn't a clue what he's doing.. Or something?

You should just go back to avoiding the thread instead of posting one line transfer tidbits from the tabloids for literally no reason at all.
Why are you so precious? Mirror linked Rooney with a move to the MLS. I posted it on his thread like any other player and you're complaining.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I think this is Rooney's last season with us. He will break Charlton's record and go to the MLS. Perhaps he will join Beckham's consortium.

Think the club will just tear up the contract and Wayne will be happy to leave rather than be benched..or worse.

Dinghy

Since I am a miserable git and got too much time on my hands I made a little compilation from the Leicester game.

streamable.com/l3v6

Not able to embed it, though.

Blodssvik

Wonder when he'll realise he is only captain on paper. Players will look up to and listen to the player who is older, better, hungry to win, still wants to improve himself and players around him and is dedicated to keeping himself fit. Not a player who says he has nothing to prove after three mediocre seasons and missing out on CL football twice.

Womp

idiot
Since I am a miserable git and got too much time on my hands I made a little compilation from the Leicester game.

streamable.com/l3v6

:lol: Literally one of the worst individual performances I can remember from one of ours in a long time, literally couldn't do anything right.

Jacko21

I'm not a callous-natured person, but there would be something rather ironic and satisfying if Rooney was banished to China or MLS next summer, just as Manchester United begin their probable return to the Champions League. In turn beginning their quest to the top of European and world football, with Pogba and Ibra (+ Griezmann?) in tow, but without the man who claimed the club lacked ambition and handed in a transfer request.

As much as I recognise the undoubted contribution Rooney has made to this team in the last decade, he'll never hold a place in the hearts of United supporters.

Karma Wayne, karma.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

Is there really any need to be like that? Its a post about Rooney in the rooney thread, that is the reason.

RedPnutz

I know... but even that is a bit ridiculous. Rooney has no power over Jose. Mourinho is free to do as he pleases.
First, the club manager's hands can be tied by a player's contract. I recall it was said that in Thiago Alcantara's contract there was clause that allowed him to be sold at a lower fee if he didn't get a minimum number of playing minutes. Now, I am not saying that it is the case but neither is it too far fetched to suggest Rooney might have some "minimum playing time clause" in his contract. Remember this was a 6-year contract signed and agreed by Moyes. It is not outlandish to think Moyes found a familiar, senior, well-respected figure in Rooney and chose to commit to Rooney's contract. He seemed to think that he would have 6 years and gave Rooney the same, perhaps.

Second, the media. In many of the criticisms that came out over the past 3 years. Regardless of how crap the team or Rooney was, the media never criticised Rooney or he (and a few others such as Carrick) were somehow usually painted in positive light. In the Euros, Rooney was crap but criticisms were hardly directed at him. Last week at Bournemouth, you could say he was poor or average, but certainly not "Superb" as Danny Murphy put it. It does make you wonder, how he gets all these free passes with the media.

Third, maybe it isn't Rooney that is political or manipulative. Maybe it is his agent, I don't know. I only know SAF really disliked his agent but then again SAF disliked most agents.

Fourth, bringing politics into the discussion is not low. Politics are everywhere and govern every aspect of life, to deny its existence or influence is being obtuse. Conspiracy theories are often far-fetched and absurd, but this Rooney situation isn't really a conspiracy, it's simply about the balance of power in the club and amongst the players.

Rooney is one of my favorite players at the club and I have about 5 kits with his name. I feel sad that he is mostly very much under par these days and I don't think he deserves his spot in the starting eleven currently. Someone argued that maybe guys like us with such opinions know nothing because obviously 3 managers have picked him so he must contribute something, also because Jose is ruthless enough to drop him so if he isn't dropped he must be doing something right.

That may be true, but at the same time there could be other reasons, perhaps contractual why the 3 managers can't drop him.

Anyway as I wrote in another post, i think Jose will drop him. Jose is simply plotting right now and setting the stage. Rooney has been pigeonholed into only one role now thus his possible excuses are limited. If Rooney thrives, great; otherwise there should be no hiding away from poor performances. Also we start to see Rooney being substituted, it is 3 games now that he has passed his armband to someone. The fans and media are visually conditioned to see Rooney leave the match before 90 minutes and to give his captaincy away.

Happy to be called stupid or crazy, but I predict that we are going to see a lot of incidences of Rooney being substituted even if he plays alright (something that hardly happened with the previous 2 managers). First it will be with a few minutes of the game left then progressively he will be out with more time left in the game. Rooney needs to be gradually worked out of the first eleven. You do not simply and quickly remove a person like Rooney without uproar or harming your own political capital.

We can take it positively that Jose is trying to let a respected senior player play himself into form and paving the way for him to step down easier if it doesn't happen. Or we can view it as Jose slowly tightening a noose around him. In LVG and Moyes time we had no real replacements for Rooney, now we have possibly better substitutes for almost all the positions Rooney can play in. We also didn't really have a replacement "Commercial face" for Rooney. Now we have Ibra, Pogba and even Martial coming into his own, so even Rooney's strength on the commercial front is waning.

Anyway, he played much better against Southampton than at Bournemouth, but nowhere near the standards required. Hope he improves else it is only fair he is out.

RedPnutz

You do realise we have played two league games. We have won both well. Rooney has scored in one, assisted in another. If martial had taken his chance Rooney would have another assist. YET still, Jose has subbed him in both. And the shield. 3 games on the bounce Rooney has been subbed. That's un heard of. Even more noticeable is that ignore performance, in terms of goals and assists, Rooney has actually been productive.

Make no mistake. This is the beginning of the end for Rooney.

As the season progresses and his productivity drops (it will) then the substitutions will come earlier.
Totally agree with this. It is the beginning of the end for Rooney. People don't seem to understand the clout Rooney has and assume it is a simple case of just dropping him. Mourinho knows he doesn't have much political capital within the club yet, especially if it is true SBC dislikes him. He is smart enough to know he cannot be rash but he also is wise enough to starting paving the way out for Rooney. It is a great strategy.

RedPnutz

Or, the less convoluted explanation, Mourinho rates Rooney as a more useful player than Guardiola rates Hart?
Possibly right.

The more interesting and difficult to answer question is, does Mourinho rate Rooney as a more useful player in that one position than he rates other. Empirically, it appears so, for now.

RedPnutz

Wonder when he'll realise he is only captain on paper. Players will look up to and listen to the player who is older, better, hungry to win, still wants to improve himself and players around him and is dedicated to keeping himself fit. Not a player who says he has nothing to prove after three mediocre seasons and missing out on CL football twice.
He's already losing it. That's the genius of having Zlatan who by many accounts is thoroughly professional and driven and bothers to help the youth. Maybe Rooney does too but we see Jose specifically pointing that out regarding Zlatan.

Also, as the commercial face of the club we now have Pogba and Martial.

Adisa

Portland Timber owner has said they would like to sign him. Can't see him moving there. And it's too early to judge if Mourinho would decide to bin him next season.

Devil may care

Get the scoring record then off to the MLS makes perfect sense, I would have thought he'd look to go to one of the teams where one of his mates plays though.

Skills

Snitch
Lol. And that's in one game.

You'd find a goldmine in our everton lost last year
The Bournemouth game was even worse than that. There's one going around for that.

With a bit of decent music on it, there's a potential viral video in the making just based on these 2 games.

Dinghy

Of course, nobody has bothered their arse to make a similar video of the Southampton game.

Funny that.
Aren't you the guy who thought he was decent in the Leicester-game just because of his stats..? It's how he always drops the ball under pressure which is the main point here. Leicester and Bournemouth gave him practically no time on the ball and that's when he's at his worst. Otherwise, he is just average, like against Soton.

Rada

Of course, nobody has bothered their arse to make a similar video of the Southampton game.

Funny that.
All he did was making an assist, stop acting like it was a great performance because it wasn't, average at best.

Red Stone

streamable.com/l3v6

I notice you left out his memorable and game-changing five yard assist near the centre circle.

According to some that means you have an agenda against him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Funny that.
Because he wasn't in bad form nor good in that fixture. 6-7 on 10 performance, nothing video worthy.

When he plays spectacularly well he's highlighted. Same goes for when he's spectacularly shite.

Status
Not open for further replies.