5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinghy

I notice you left out his memorable and game-changing five yard assist near the centre circle.

According to some that means you have an agenda against him.
I don't care. There's way too much worshipping of average footballers these days. Something is wrong when you get to start the next game for one of the biggest clubs in the world after a performance like that. However, I do believe Mourinho will ship him out eventually. Unfortunately, the timing of Rooney's testimonial made that nearly impossible to do this summer.

Dobbs

Of course, nobody has bothered their arse to make a similar video of the Southampton game.

Funny that.
Video starts.

A cross.

Video ends.

There has to be something worth making a video about, be it good or bad.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I remember facepalming throughout that whole game because of how wasteful Rooney was. Now seeing it in highlights without any moments from other players to dilute and distract from Rooney's play, it's far worse than I could have thought it possible.

This is just plain sad.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
Until Rooney gets his touch and control back, neither of which have anything to do with age, I won't feel comfortable... those things should never go away.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Until Rooney gets his touch and control back, neither of which have anything to do with age, I won't feel comfortable... those things should never go away.
I keep seeing this. Rooney's touch and control was never consistent. He more than made up for that in other areas. Areas that have now gone making the lack of a consistent touch more profound. Rooney has never been a technically consistent player. Even when he was at his best.

sportsczy

Supports
Real Madrid
Oh i thought he was... he was no Zidane or Messi... but he was able to do very well in tight spots. Right now, he has trouble trapping a ball in open space.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Video starts.

A cross.

Video ends.

There has to be something worth making a video about, be it good or bad.
Well that's errant, hyperbolic nonsense, obviously but ho hum, standard stuff when it comes to shitting on Rooney.

In reality, he was awful against Leicester, bang average against Bournemouth but decent against Soton. None of the performances were good enough for a player with his status/reputation but he's always been a slow starter. Even during some of his better seasons.

Now he may well be a busted flush. Time will tell and the fact his decline under Van Gaal was arguably the steepest of all (apart from, maybe, Di Maria?) doesn't bode well but the refusal some fans have to see anything positive in his efforts is borderline deusional.

Perrick Dubois

Is there really any need to be like that? Its a post about Rooney in the rooney thread, that is the reason.
Yes, there is. There is no need to post these unless there is some form of credible story to back it up. It has been done twice now and seems to be this users shtick.
According to The Sun, the club have told him to forget about a new contract.
MLS bosses trying to persuade him to join. According to the Mirror.
Since it originates from the sun and from the mirror then there is no credible story to back it up, hence no tweet/link, no information and if it was proper material for discussion then it would be opened in a thread in the transfer section. It is just guff posted here for attention to get a reaction and start another outpouring of "get rid" bile. Nobody is benefiting from reading this "knowledge" and being "enlightened" by it. It is completely unnecessary and on par with the couple of pages of posts after every game along the lines of "omg did you see that thingy that Rooney did playing football a few weeks ago! how shit was that!" followed by a barrages of "oh yeah m8, well done have a pat on the back. Rooney is so shite".

It is counter productive to discussion. Stooping to making "lowlights" compilations has got to be breaking some new troughs as well. Awful stuff.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I keep seeing this. Rooney's touch and control was never consistent. He more than made up for that in other areas. Areas that have now gone making the lack of a consistent touch more profound. Rooney has never been a technically consistent player. Even when he was at his best.
This.

Rooney has never shown the technical abilities of your true top players. Things like touch, finesse, ball control and all that technical stuff were never Rooney's forte even when he was younger. What made him a top player was his scoring boot. He was a good goal scorer which is what most player would need to be considered top players.

Sure nowadays his touch and ball control are virtually non existent but even in his prime and younger years he didn't exactly have your exquisite touch and ball control albeit it was still good enough to not make people facepalm upon seeing him attempting to control a ball(basically just normal touch and ball control, nothing more, nothing less).

Dobbs

Well that's errant, hyperbolic nonsense, obviously but ho hum, standard stuff when it comes to shitting on Rooney.

In reality, he was awful against Leicester, bang average against Bournemouth but decent against Soton. None of the performances were good enough for a player with his status/reputation but he's always been a slow starter. Even during some of his better seasons.

Now he may well be a busted flush. Time will tell and the fact his decline under Van Gaal was arguably the steepest of all (apart from, maybe, Di Maria?) doesn't bode well but the refusal some fans have to see anything positive in his efforts is borderline deusional.
Well you're a fan and still only refer to it as a "decent" performance.

So it seems overly sensitive to suggest not making a video of said perdormance is a symptom of bias.

Who wants to make or watch a five minute video of decent.

clarkydaz

the obsession on here Rooney is hard done by is borderline Scouse Rafa territory. if its got the point people are making 'lowlights' then that is performance related

dichinero

Yes, there is. There is no need to post these unless there is some form of credible story to back it up. It has been done twice now and seems to be this users shtick.

Since it originates from the sun and from the mirror then there is no credible story to back it up, hence no tweet/link, no information and if it was proper material for discussion then it would be opened in a thread in the transfer section. It is just guff posted here for attention to get a reaction and start another outpouring of "get rid" bile. Nobody is benefiting from reading this "knowledge" and being "enlightened" by it. It is completely unnecessary and on par with the couple of pages of posts after every game along the lines of "omg did you see that thingy that Rooney did playing football a few weeks ago! how shit was that!" followed by a barrages of "oh yeah m8, well done have a pat on the back. Rooney is so shite".

It is counter productive to discussion. Stooping to making "lowlights" compilations has got to be breaking some new troughs as well. Awful stuff.
This one is sensitive

Pogue Mahone

Well you're a fan and still only refer to it as a "decent" performance.

So it seems overly sensitive to suggest not making a video of said perdormance is a symptom of bias.

Who wants to make or watch a five minute video of decent.
A lot less people than those who want to watch a video of him playing badly, evidently.

Which is what I find weird. He's still a Manchester United player. I prefer watching United players perform well than watch them play badly. I seem to be in a minority though.

Womp

idiot
A lot less people than those who want to watch a video of him playing badly, evidently.

Which is what I find weird. He's still a Manchester United player. I prefer watching United players perform well than watch them play badly. I seem to be in a minority though.
That's the thing though, as a United fan would you not want to see a much better and much more technical player not stinking up the place? A player we currently possess, who has shown in 15 minute cameos that he is miles ahead of Rooney?

It's as if people are happy to allow Rooney to keep holding us back, eventually his terrible touch, slow as feck turns and hollywood passes out to the wings that constantly get dispossessed are going to cost us. Maybe not against Bournemouth and Southampton but as shown in games when he's pressed he is a liability.

It's got nothing to do with an agenda, it's got to do with the fact that I want the best for the club I love. I genuinely believe we have a proper chance at winning the title this year, imagine the boost that would give to the fans, the players. Teams like Liverpool, City, Arsenal, they are going to press the feck out of Rooney knowing he is a liability and we are in no position to turn possible victories into losses or draws because of Rooney, it's that simple.

Mkhitryan is the superior player, who allows us to move the ball quicker, can actually run with the ball at high speed. Hell, even Mata would be better in that hole, at least his touch doesn't make me cringe multiple times throughout a game.

Dobbs

It's not about wanting to watch him play badly. It's more a case of being perplexed as to how a player whose ceiling is now decent can keep getting picked. The video is just further evidence of that. I'm absolutely sure if he has a brilliant game against Hull there'd be a compilation of his best bits.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I'm glad you're back Pogue. You're one of those rare posters that I find myself agreeing with and disagreeing with in equal measure in all areas of the forum.

Pogue Mahone

It's not about wanting to watch him play badly. It's more a case of being perplexed as to how a player whose ceiling is now decent can keep getting picked. The video is just further evidence of that. I'm absolutely sure if he has a brilliant game against Hull there'd be a compilation of his best bits.
You'd think so, right? Here's hoping. IMO there were a lot of good bits against Southampton, not that you'd think from this thread though.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
You'd think so, right? Here's hoping. IMO there were a lot of good bits against Southampton, not that you'd think from this thread though.
A lot is probably pushing it, there were some, his performance was definitely better, and just about acceptable, but I wouldn't say a lot of good.

clarkydaz

Quite ironic you said this

Backrow Singer

I'm torn tbh and find it hard to criticise him. I was there when he scored the winner against City, I was there when he scored the penalty at Blackburn. Wayne and Carrick are the only two guys who remain from the European Cup winning squad of 2008 which was arguably the greatest week of my life in Moscow. He played a big role in that and was a key figure in the side. He's been involved in some of the most special nights of my life watching this football club and I have a soft spot for him for that exact reason really.

You can't be sentimental in this game though really and the fact of the matter is, he's not producing at the minute. I'd love nothing more than to see him string a run of games together and find some form but there is a bigger picture to be looked at.

Hope he turns it around though I really do.

Rada

It's amazing how this "slow start" never gets old, the last few Rooney seasons have been like this, the "he's always been a slow starter" comments will come after a few bad performances by Rooney, then he gets injured before getting in form and getting past the "slow start", Rooney will then comes back to training and back on the pitch and the "He's always been a slow starter after injury" comments will come, the season will end and he have yet to get past he "slow start" you guys talked about.

I would love Rooney to go out next game and score 3 goals and assists a few, or just play great football, but you have to look at things in a realistic way.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
This.

Rooney has never shown the technical abilities of your true top players. Things like touch, finesse, ball control and all that technical stuff were never Rooney's forte even when he was younger.
What made him a top player was his scoring boot. He was a good goal scorer which is what most player would need to be considered top players.

Sure nowadays his touch and ball control are virtually non existent but even in his prime and younger years he didn't exactly have your exquisite touch and ball control albeit it was still good enough to not make people facepalm upon seeing him attempting to control a ball(basically just normal touch and ball control, nothing more, nothing less).
Just wow.... the lengths people will go to to discredit his whole career just to fit their narrative.

What is a "true top player"? A young Rooney had brilliant technique - ball control and finesse in particular. What weakens your argument is that Rooney scored some brilliant technical goals as well.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Since I am a miserable git and got too much time on my hands I made a little compilation from the Leicester game.

streamable.com/l3v6

Not able to embed it, though.
Wow, what an awful performance that was

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I can't remember posting something positive about him for a long while, but once he has a good game I won't deny it, if he recovers a semblance of a first touch I won't deny that either. My criticism is as much about him being poor as it is about him taking up space in a team that could be better without him.

santeria13

Sublemon
No there wasn't. Go and make a video to show us these good bits then or at least point out where it was you thought he was good. You complain people are making these 'bad play' compilations but the truth is they're very easy to make. Theres so many points in each game where you just wonder how a player of his level can perform so poorly. It would be much harder to make a 'good play' video because theres very few moments he did anything except lose the ball or pass it sideways/backwards.

From the top of my head, against Bournemouth there was his goal and then against Soton there was the cross, and then... a ton of backwards and sideways passes which anyone could pull of if you feel like adding them into his 'good' points.

Seriously, what else did he do well against Southampton? I'm sure you can find evidence if there was 'a lot' of good things as you claim.

Last edited:

santeria13

Sublemon
I can't remember posting something positive about him for a long while, but once he has a good game I won't deny it, if he recovers a semblance of a first touch I won't deny that either. My criticism is as much about him being poor as it is about him taking up space in a team that could be better without him.
Exactly. I was actually praising him after his testimonial saying that he looked a lot sharper than normal despite not scoring, or assisting. Theres no bias. At the end of the day if you're going to play that bad, you're going to get criticism, despite any goals/assists that may cover up the rest of the performance.

For example, if he did anything else productive or forward thinking against Soton after/before the cross, it would be a lot easier for me to say he played 'well'. As that was not the case, I consider it an average performance and am bemused by anyone stating he had a decent game or played 'very well'. If the new standard for decent is putting in a good cross and then disappearing for the rest of the game, then that says it all.

Last edited:

spwd

It's amazing how this "slow start" never gets old, the last few Rooney seasons have been like this, the "he's always been a slow starter" comments will come after a few bad performances by Rooney, then he gets injured before getting in form and getting past the "slow start", Rooney will then comes back to training and back on the pitch and the "He's always been a slow starter after injury" comments will come, the season will end and he have yet to get past he "slow start" you guys talked about.

I would love Rooney to go out next game and score 3 goals and assists a few, or just play great football, but you have to look at things in a realistic way.
Well put sir.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Fecking hell he truly is awful now. Like Fernando Torres, he's completely shot physically & isn't good enough technically to make up for it. Look at how shocking he is under any pressure whatsoever, exactly what Mourinho was talking about.

Amazes me how he can put up these sort of performances on a weekly basis yet Gary Neville can still go on Live TV & say he an emulate Paul Scholes with a straight face.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Are mkhi not our player now? Lingard? Kagawa? Bfs? Ms? It's their place rooney is taking and he's not playing well. He even mess up with martial position, we're just lukcy he's also good at left wing

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just wow.... the lengths people will go to to discredit his whole career just to fit their narrative.

What is a "true top player"? A young Rooney had brilliant technique - ball control and finesse in particular. What weakens your argument is that Rooney scored some brilliant technical goals as well.
I used to think this way, that people are being too bitter and harsh but I've been watching some old games and it's only now that I've noticed that he tends to get sloppy in his passing or make the wrong decisions when under pressure. He of course made up for all this with his energy, top class finishing and his instinctive moments of brilliance, like that awesome run in the FA Cup final.

1:36 - He got in behind using his movement and quick pace, things which he doesn't seem to have now.

2:23 - Didn't protect the ball well enough. It was Nesta who won the ball, to be fair to him.

2:56 - Great turn. You don't see him doing this nowadays. Nowhere near as energetic.

3:20 - Sloppy touch got him into trouble. Looks familiar, doesn't it? It looks nowhere as bad as his struggles with the ball against Leicester though, because he still has the desire and energy to hustle for it.

4:10 - That finishing ability that he still has. Not sure if he'd still have the energy to get into position to finish that now, though.

5:40 - The famed cross field pass to the right flank.

5:48 - The best example in the video. A bad touch got him in trouble. Again, it doesn't look as bad as it does nowadays, because he hustled and got a free kick for us. No doubt Old Trafford (and myself, as I was big fan of him at the time) were going "Rooneh! Rooneh!" at the end of that.

6:20 - Another bad touch. Not the best ball by Ronaldo, to be fair. Won a free kick. That's the reason why people were fans of him back then. That energy and attitude that won the free kick.

6:50 - Revel in the brilliance of 2006 Wayne Rooney. What a goal, what a finish to a game. One of my favourite Rooney moments.
He's lost almost everything that made him good and likeable. That desire and energy. Also, that story of how he's just a street footballer who'd play anywhere for the team was also gone after his contract shenanigans and complaints about not being played upfront in Fergie's last season.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I used to think this way, that people are being too bitter and harsh but I've been watching some old games and it's only now that I've noticed that he tends to get sloppy in his passing or make the wrong decisions when under pressure. He of course made up for all this with his energy, top class finishing and his instinctive moments of brilliance, like that awesome run in the FA Cup final.

He's lost almost everything that made him good and likeable. That desire and energy. Also, that story of how he's just a street footballer who'd play anywhere for the team was also gone after his contract shenanigans and complaints about not being played upfront in Fergie's last season.
I am being hundred percent honest here: watching that video has just further convinced me that saying Rooney was never technically that good is just ridiculous. He was world class in his position. Of course he has lost a lot of what he had but "almost everything"? I don't think so at all. His complaints is another story and it doesn't bother me at all.

Again, I have to repeat this because of how bonkers this thread (and forum regarding Rooney has gone), I want to see Mikhi be played instead of him for a few games because that might be better for the team as a whole but the level of negatives people have associated with Rooney has been so exaggerated.

Even though I feel Mikhi would be the better move, I want Rooney to start and bang a hattrick for the sole reason to shut up a few of his critics.

OohAahMartial

I suspect that heavy drinking has made him overweight and slowed his reaction times and affected his coordination, while smoking has affected his oxygen intake and energy levels.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I suspect that heavy drinking has made him overweight and slowed his reaction times and affected his coordination, while smoking has affected his oxygen intake and energy levels.
My guess is a gram of Ketamine before every kick off.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't see the issue with these "lowlight" videos. He's undeservingly been picked over better players now for years and some people are understandably fed up. You still get people defending him just because he's been here for so long, not because of his actual performance, and anyone who thinks he's rubbish is just a hater of his, which isn't fair. I like Rooney but he's an awful player now and the more people that realise this the better. He's holding us back being an automatic starter.

Yes, there is bias towards Rooney, but that doesn't mean the majority of the criticism he receives isn't valid. When he was played as an #8 under van Gaal people were still saying every game he was playing rubbish, but he wasn't; he easily outperformed fan favourites Herrera, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger. Only Carrick and Fellaini were consistantly better than him in midfield. Though, when played further forward he resorts back to conference mode and stinks the place up. I have no problem praising Rooney when he performes well, it's just very rare. The only time in the last few years I've seen him consistantly put in good performances was last year as a #8 and it isn't good enough for a player of his supposed calibre.

I mean, look at Fellaini. He's been public enemy number 1 here at United; more so than Wayne himself, but when he puts in a good performance like the past few games he gets praise. If Rooney played a good few games in a row I'm sure these lowlights would disappear, but he won't as José won't play him in midfield where he's actually decent. As I keep saying, this isn't a poor run of form for Rooney, he's been rubbish up front and as a #10 for a few years now and it isn't likely to change. Aside from his nice assist against Soton, he played a couple of other nice passes as well, but, again, didn't add too much aside from losing the ball and slowing our play down. I think it's fair to expect more from our #10, but all some people see are stats.

clarkydaz

Fecking hell he truly is awful now. Like Fernando Torres, he's completely shot physically & isn't good enough technically to make up for it. Look at how shocking he is under any pressure whatsoever, exactly what Mourinho was talking about.

Amazes me how he can put up these sort of performances on a weekly basis yet Gary Neville can still go on Live TV & say he an emulate Paul Scholes with a straight face.
On his recent return as a pundit his statement was "Jose is stifling Wayne's evolution into midfield, and that he needs a manager to play him in the same position for 2 or 3 years"

Last edited:

fellaini's barber

On his recent return as a pundir his statement was "Jose is stifling Wayne's evolution into midfield, and that he needs a manager to play him in the same position for 2 or 3 years"
What does that even mean, stifling his what? I can't even...

Status
Not open for further replies.