Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He must weigh at least 75/80kg and isn't even up to 6ft. but he still gets bullied and harassed by tiny players. I've not seen anything like it before.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's really no surprise that he's physically shot when you look at how little care he's taken of his body over the years.

He's a known smoker and binge drinker who's played since a young age and is now for all intents and purposes running with the mileage of a 35+ year old who hasn't bothered with physical conditioning.

He's done, it's over. Thanks for the memories Wayne now kindly leave, your performances are no longer "giving us the assurances we are seeking about the future".

Dobbs

Did you not find it strange to see the pictures of him shitfaced after the England game this winter badly needing to get into shape for United and supposed to be in the England team a few day´s later? A great model professional and role model as captain of both club and country? A top sportsman today simply can not afford to do that and look at how Ibra,Ronaldo and Messi take care of them selves. Giggs was able to prolong his career to 40 by taking good care of him self while Rooney does not seem to have that desire.
Yeah course, it's not ideal behaviour.

How though do you decide it's definitely that type of stuff that's caused his decline? What about all the other factors like starting so early, the running he's done, his body shape?

If occasionally having a few too many beers caused a completley physical decline by 31 there'd be so many player suffering the same fate, today and over the years.

Djemba-Djemba

Is it just the occasional drink and cigarette though?

The fact he's a physical wreck these days suggest it's more than just occasional.

BigCaine

What about all the players who didn't go on at the top level till they were 35? Were they all lazy? I've had this debate before and the same comparisons always get brought up. Ibra, Giggs, Ronaldo, Totti etc.

I'm not disputing he could have done more but as a striker we got 8 top years out of him. That's a rarity in itself and should be enough.

You're also taking reports as gospel.
All the other players did not have the talent to stay at top, when you want to compare say rafael nadal you don't do it with somdev devvarman you do it with roger federer, the reason rooney won't be staying at utd isn't because he suddenly lost his talent, but because his fitness issues have meant that we cannot carry him for 3-4 months consistently before he actually performs. Also the reports are gospel when they come with pictures.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is it just the occasional drink and cigarette though?

The fact he's a physical wreck these days suggest it's more than just occasional.
Many, many reports he's got a drinking problem. Think it all coincided with when he cheated on Coleyn and his marriage was on the rocks. He looked pissed playing quite a few times. Obviously they kept it under wraps quite a bit, but LVG did stop him playing for a while when he had a blood test come back with alcohol in his system.

I am sure it'll all come out eventually but it makes a lot of sense.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Many, many reports he's got a drinking problem. Think it all coincided with when he cheated on Coleyn and his marriage was on the rocks. He looked pissed playing quite a few times. Obviously they kept it under wraps quite a bit, but LVG did stop him playing for a while when he had a blood test come back with alcohol in his system.

Plus the time when Fergie dropped him and Gibson for turning up to training still pissed from the night before. The functional alchoholic explanation for his dramatic decline does seem more and more plausible and I'm already worrying what will happen to him when he hangs up his boots. Gascoigne Mark II?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Plus the time when Fergie dropped him and Gibson for turning up to training still pissed from the night before. The functional alchoholic explanation for his dramatic decline does seem more and more plausible and I'm already worrying what will happen to him when he hangs up his boots. Gascoigne Mark II?
The one thing Wayne has is his family. So hopefully if there is a problem they will pull him through it. All Paul had was hangers on.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah course, it's not ideal behaviour.

How though do you decide it's definitely that type of stuff that's caused his decline? What about all the other factors like starting so early, the running he's done, his body shape?

If occasionally having a few too many beers caused a completley physical decline by 31 there'd be so many player suffering the same fate, today and over the years.
You dont need scientific research to know that smoking and drinking is bad for top athletes.

For top athletes those milisecond reaction time and extra energy counts.

And those myth about starting early... All players starts at the same age, play roughly the same amount of game (minus a few late runs when your teams goes deep in a tournament).

All players aged, but the discipline they have when they're young makes a couple of years difference near the end, and at let's say an average shelf value of a footballer is 15 years, those extra 2-3 years means 20percent longer, and it's alot.

Robertd0803

I think Mourinho has been exemplary in his handling of Rooney this season. The Rooney camp have been noticeably quiet, probably because with his occasional appearances the performances prove to them there really isn't anything to complain about!!
Fully agree. Remember when the Rooney issue was actually a big deal? Seems ages ago now.

Dobbs

All the other players did not have the talent to stay at top, when you want to compare say rafael nadal you don't do it with somdev devvarman you do it with roger federer, the reason rooney won't be staying at utd isn't because he suddenly lost his talent, but because his fitness issues have meant that we cannot carry him for 3-4 months consistently before he actually performs. Also the reports are gospel when they come with pictures.
Eh? So all top players carry on at the top till they're 35? Rooney is the exception?

Over the course of Rooney's career you've seen a handful of pictures of him having a drink. This the most photographed footballer of his generation. It's a huge leap to say drinking is the cause of him being finished at 31.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum

May I ask where you read/heard these damning reports over the years? Genuinely curious as it sounds like something that would be very difficult to be kept quiet in modern football, over such a high profile player.
It would indeed make a lot of sense though.

drdoityourself

He's still got it according to some guy at Talksport, some guys just refuse to give up on him to the point of becoming delusional.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's still got it according to some guy at Talksport, some guys just refuse to give up on him to the point of becoming delusional.

He is a big Everton fan who absolutely worships the ground Wayne walks on. He is also a Grade A pillock.

Vashu

Predicted Sanchez's signing announcement
Fun facts: Totti being 39 years old at that time 2 seasons ago has scored 8 goals and got 6 assists, the same numbers that Rooney had managed to rack up for us last season.

Dobbs

You dont need scientific research to know that smoking and drinking is bad for top athletes.

For top athletes those milisecond reaction time and extra energy counts.

And those myth about starting early... All players starts at the same age, play roughly the same amount of game (minus a few late runs when your teams goes deep in a tournament).

All players aged, but the discipline they have when they're young makes a couple of years difference near the end, and at let's say an average shelf value of a footballer is 15 years, those extra 2-3 years means 20percent longer, and it's alot.
What I don't get with this debate is the willingness to guess and the readiness to dismiss what we know as fact.

Of course drinking and smoking doesn't help but you don't know how much he's done of either. Nor do you know how much its affected him. It's guesswork.

The stuff we do know, that he did start playing earlier than most, at a higher level, under more pressure, clocked up more games, you then dismiss.

It's all the wrong way around.

BigCaine

Eh? So all top players carry on at the top till they're 35? Rooney is the exception?

Over the course of Rooney's career you've seen a handful of pictures of him having a drink. This the most photographed footballer of his generation. It's a huge leap to say drinking is the cause of him being finished at 31.
But rooney isn't 35, he is 31 and most here will agree that he will struggle in pl next season. Drinking is one of the causes, how many players have we had who have been publicly shamed by sir alex for not watching their weight in post season, fact is as much as you deflect, rooney is unfit and it has nothing to do with anything other than his lifestyle choices and he should be slagged off for it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don't think (if there is a drink problem) we will see the tragic explosion like we did with Gascoigne and Best, he doesn't seem to have the same brash extrovert character they had. He'll never be one to be smashing up all the hot spots in town searching out the limelight. If he's going to have any sort of drink problem, it'll be an 8 cans of Stella a night at home with the wide and kids sort of problem.

Dobbs

But rooney isn't 35, he is 31 and most here will agree that he will struggle in pl next season. Drinking is one of the causes, how many players have we had who have been publicly shamed by sir alex for not watching their weight in post season, fact is as much as you deflect, rooney is unfit and it has nothing to do with anything other than his lifestyle choices and he should be slagged off for it.
I'm disagreeing not deflecting.

Players have been drinking for decades, during periods where there was a real culture in the sport. They weren't all finished by 31 and I reckon Rooney is tame in comparison. To me the other factors are much more important. His body has always been a decade ahead of his age. He's a one off.

What I'd criticise him for is not spending enough time in the gym. I don't like the idea you have to be a bodybuilder to be a footballer but that's the way it's gone. You can't be the one who stubbornly refuses to get on board.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think (if there is a drink problem) we will see the tragic explosion like we did with Gascoigne and Best, he doesn't seem to have the same brash extrovert character they had. He'll never be one to be smashing up all the hot spots in town searching out the limelight. If he's going to have any sort of drink problem, it'll be an 8 cans of Stella a night at home with the wide and kids sort of problem.
That's a "problem"? :nervous:

@Jippy

BigCaine

Players have been drinking for decades, during periods where there was a real culture in the sport. They weren't all finished by 31 and I reckon Rooney is tame in comparison. To me the other factors are much more important. His body has always been a decade ahead of his age. He's a one off.

What I'd criticise him for is not spending enough time in the gym. I don't like the idea you have to be a bodybuilder to be a footballer but that's the way it's gone. You can't be the one who stubbornly refuses to get on board.
Again as i said drinking is one of the problems not the problem, lifestyle choices mean everything he does, his eating habits, his drinking habits, how much time he spends in the gym.

His body has little to do with it, he is stocky by nature not fat, that he did to himself don't blame his genes for his laziness and lack of interest in keeping himself fit. I agree with the gym part though, also giggs was super fit but wasn't exactly a guy with an eight pack.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Jose must finish him off and feck him off to whereever as soon as the summer window opens. If Rooney is still here in August I will despair.

Dobbs

Again as i said drinking is one of the problems not the problem, lifestyle choices mean everything he does, his eating habits, his drinking habits, how much time he spends in the gym.

His body has little to do with it, he is stocky by nature not fat, that he did to himself don't blame his genes for his laziness and lack of interest in keeping himself fit. I agree with the gym part though, also giggs was super fit but wasn't exactly a guy with an eight pack.
The Giggs comparison is the worst to me. Completely different body types. Some guys are just naturally lean. Sheringham loved a beer but the guy still hasn't got a lick of fat on him. Played till he was 40.

Rooney was/is a physical one off. Freakishly strong and bulky for an 18 year old. Which is great when it's allied with the light feet, speed and the agility of youth. Once that goes though all you're left with is that bulk. Which is a nightmare.

In terms of his ability to cover distance I still think he's alright. His cardio looks in line with a 31 year old. The problem is that he's cometely lost his agility, his feet look incredibly heavy and the pace has gone. So he's constricted his game to suit, hence the constant ball out to the right. It's all his body will allow him to do. I don't believe lifestyle has caused that, to me it's genetics.

Jig1234

It's a shame Rooney career is ending in such a depressing way. He was chasing shadows vs Arsenal. He looked completely lost physically but more so mentally. He had the opportunity to turn that game on it's head. He seems to be trying too hard to prove his worth he is actually become selfish. He must have had six shots at goal and missed them all.

It was sad seeing him fall to the floor every time he went in for a tackle for an Arsenal player to leave him for dead or just ride the challenge.

He could've just squared the ball to Mata and we would be going into half time 1-0 up! Totally different game if that goal goes in.

He needs to leave in summer but he is not the only one. Smalling: Jones should join him.

He was at fault vs Swansea and didn't cover himself in glory vs Arsenal either.

Time to move on.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Giggs comparison is the worst to me. Completely different body types. Some guys are just naturally lean. Sheringham loved a beer but the guy still hasn't got a lick of fat on him. Played till he was 40.

Rooney was/is a physical one off. Freakishly strong and bulky for an 18 year old. Which is great when it's allied with the light feet, speed and the agility of youth. Once that goes though all you're left with is that bulk. Which is a nightmare.

In terms of his ability to cover distance I still think he's alright. His cardio looks in line with a 31 year old. The problem is that he's cometely lost his agility, his feet look incredibly heavy and the pace has gone. So he's constricted his game to suit, hence the constant ball out to the right. It's all his body will allow him to do. I don't believe lifestyle has caused that, to me it's genetics.
That's nonsense, James Milner is exactly the same body type.

Milner at 17 at Leeds:

Rooney at 17 at Everton

Rooney now:

Milner now:

Your not going to convince me that Rooney is putting the same work in at the gym and making the same nutritional sacrifices James Milner obviously is. It's really fecking simple, if you spend 6 days a week eating right and 5 days a week working on aerobic and muscular conditioning, your body will look a loot closer to Milner's than it will to Rooneys.

donkeyfish

Some people have a body that handles more exercise than others, which is partially determined by your genes. It's not just your effort that decides if you're able to put in extra hours here and there.

However, I have no idea if that is the case here or not. Just one of many possible factors.

Dobbs

That's nonsense, James Milner is exactly the same body type.

Milner at 17 at Leeds:

Rooney at 17 at Everton

Rooney now:

Milner now:

Your not going to convince me that Rooney is putting the same work in at the gym and making the same nutritional sacrifices James Milner obviously is. It's really fecking simple, if you spend 6 days a week eating right and 5 days a week working on aerobic and muscular conditioning, your body will look a loot closer to Milner's than it will to Rooneys.
I'm not trying to, in fact I said in an earlier post that Rooney's not spend enough time in the gym. I agree Milner has looked after himself better but in the end so what? Are we criticising Rooney because he's not James Milner? All players are different with different personalities. Give me 8 years of Rooney's combustible youth than the sensible, methodical career of Milner.

I disagree they're "exactly the same body type." Rooney's just broader, bigger, thicker set, legs like a side of ham etc. Milner's the type which was born with a six pack.

Rooney's also played about two seasons more in terms of game time, at a higher, more intense, more pressurised level. As a forward as well, where any reduced sharpness in exacerbated.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

When you perform nobody cares what you do on the side. Mario basler was a heavy smoker but nobody cares because he delivers.

Wayne doesnt deliver, and as a pro athlete when you know you're declining and still smokes and drink... Well...

And not smoking / drinking is not a liberty for footballers, they got paid millions so taking care of their health and especially performance is something they should really look into.

clarkydaz

Giggs took up yoga and went on a strict diet to maintain his career into his 30s. I remember last year even Keane said on camera Rooney doesn't look fit. It depends on how bad you want it, he's had an incredible career but in his own words he has 'nothing to prove'. He's done at this level and its completely understandable

phepheshane

I'm not trying to, in fact I said in an earlier post that Rooney's not spend enough time in the gym. I agree Milner has looked after himself better but in the end so what? Are we criticising Rooney because he's not James Milner? All players are different with different personalities. Give me 8 years of Rooney's combustible youth than the sensible, methodical career of Milner.

I disagree they're "exactly the same body type." Rooney's just broader, bigger, thicker set, legs like a side of ham etc. Milner's the type which was born with a six pack.

Rooney's also played about two seasons more in terms of game time, at a higher, more intense, more pressurised level. As a forward as well, where any reduced sharpness in exacerbated.
:lol: Oh dear!
I'll never look at a ham sandwich the same way again.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Lamb...ham...thank you, spam.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A guy in my office who supports Arsenal went to the game yesterday. He's telling me how shocked he was when he saw Rooney play. I replied that I've been telling him for ages. His explanation was that of course he doesn't watch our games as we do, and the bits he'd seen of him were highlights (match of the day probably editing out any bad bits), and what is reported by the press.
So when he actually watched him for 90 mins, he couldn't believe what he was seeing.

It just shows you how powerful the media is. They've prolonged his career for real.. Can't say they've helped him as he probably takes that as validation that he didn't need to work harder and that he had 'nothing to prove' because there's nothing wrong with his game.

I really wonder how he'll cope when it finally ends.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's funny that some posters are defending Rooney using junk science that hasn't been used for close to 20 years.

Epigenetics has completely destroyed the notion of body types; the only way genetics determine your general fitness and performance is if you have hormone deficiencies. Nutritional science has evolved body types into describing the end result of lifestyle choices; no-one is born fat and no-one has a natural inclination to be fat or skinny unless they have a hormonal defect. The only reason we think that is the case is because we don't monitor what we eat. When you monitor calorie and macronutrient consumption you realise that you are fat if you consume more energy than you use and vice versa.

Rooney has all the tools available to him to be in better shape than he is; there is nothing in his genetics stopping him from doing so.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
You're aware you can do more than weights in a gym right?

AndyJ1985

No offence but you haven''t gt a clue what you're talking about. Rooney could have been as fit as Ronaldo if he had put in the same amount of hard work and had a strict diet. The same applies to any one of us on this forum too. Rooney wasn't destined to be fat and unfit at 31. Only his life choices have led to his rapid decline.

Dobbs

It's funny that some posters are defending Rooney using junk science that hasn't been used for close to 20 years.

Epigenetics has completely destroyed the notion of body types; the only way genetics determine your general fitness and performance is if you have hormone deficiencies. Nutritional science has evolved body types into describing the end result of lifestyle choices; no-one is born fat and no-one has a natural inclination to be fat or skinny unless they have a hormonal defect. The only reason we think that is the case is because we don't monitor what we eat. When you monitor calorie and macronutrient consumption you realise that you are fat if you consume more energy than you use and vice versa.

Rooney has all the tools available to him to be in better shape than he is; there is nothing in his genetics stopping him from doing so.
So Rooney being the size he was, having the strength he had at 18 had nothing to do with genetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.