g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wayne Rooney image 10

Wayne Rooney England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscie

Rooney looked like a retired legend coming back to play in a charity match.

Web of Bissaka

Arsenal let him have the ball too much today isn't it, knowing he won't threaten too much with it.

The shootings are horrible as does his general useful play :annoyed: clearly can't play at the top level no more.

But tbf I think his passes today is okay, good in recycling possession but doesn't contribute much other than that.

Does show fighting spirit today - aggressive play towards the end, and not giving up like the nearly first half gift goal.

Not good enough though and not up to standard sadly.

Seanus

Most damning was that more than a few times his own players wouldn't pass to him as they knew he would mess it up. How the mighty have fallen. Really sad to see how poor he has become. If he was a dog he would be put to sleep.

GM K

Why are you talking about Mourinho in a player performance thread??? The manager fielded a weakened side and wanted to nick a goal which backfired. But, this doesnt change the fact that Rooney was shambolic this game. Rooney this season has had bad performances but always contributed (he has 10 assists this season which is the 2nd highest in the team!).

Rooney has been declining for a long time, but i never would have thought that he would get even worse than what he was like at the beginning of the season. It's sad really.
Very interesting. Curious to know who is our assist king this season. Pogba?

By the way, it's a big worry that no Manchester United player is in the list of the Premier League's top 10 assist providers.

GM K

Hopefully the last time he plays for us, unless he plays the last game and gets taken off to get his applause.
Nah, he can play the rest of the league games. We are done there.

But I don't want to see him anywhere near the pitch for the last Europa League games.

He can collect the trophy though, if we win it.

MataFanatic

Rooney has been an absolute legend for United. Record breaker. Great servant. However, his time is up at United. It's gotten to the stage now where he can't even slot into the side every few weeks to do a job for us. He was so poor last week and even worse today against Arsenal. Think it's ultimately time now to move him on. He'll probably end up back at Everton and maybe he'll get a new lease of life. But his time at United should be ended. Ironically, if we had of sold him at the start of the season or even in January we probably would've gotten a decent price for him. Won't get anything for him now unless it's to China.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Very interesting. Curious to know who is our assist king this season. Pogba?

By the way, it's a big worry that no Manchester United player is in the list of the Premier League's top 10 assist providers.
Ander Hererra has 11 assists this season. Pogba is quite low, he has created the most chances this season and the conversion rate from his chances are the lowest in the team. A look back at the chances he's created and many of them came in the matches where we created a million chances but ended up drawing the game.

Wayne Rooney's bread and butter is the 2nd striker/no.10 assist. When Rob Holding fluffed a pass to Cech you'd expect Wayne Rooney to either score or pass for a tap in to Hererra.

GM K

Ander Hererra has 11 assists this season. Pogba is quite low, he has created the most chances this season and the conversion rate from his chances are the lowest in the team. A look back at the chances he's created and many of them came in the matches where we created a million chances but ended up drawing the game.

Wayne Rooney's bread and butter is the 2nd striker/no.10 assist. When Rob Holding fluffed a pass to Cech you'd expect Wayne Rooney to either score or pass for a tap in to Hererra.

Hmmnn, okay. Thanks.

VanGaalEra

I just don't want to have to put up with these performances anymore.

I just don't want to have to find myself cursing someone I've admired for so long. Please just let this stop. It's horrible to watch.

Retire. Don't go anywhere else to allow others to laugh at you. Retire. You're set for life.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If a club from China or any exotic place doesn't come to save us from him, who could possibly interested in signing him ? Who could afford his wages ?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
many predicted Mourinho would give him a rope to hanng himself. he not only did that, he burnt the remains.

Anustart89

Hard to believe any PL manager will want him if they happened to watch that performance. You'd think it was his testimonial the way he was playing. Almost comical Rooney instructing other players while completely ignoring the players he was meant to be tracking.
Noticed that as well. Pointed to players to cover this guy and that guy so that he could just stand in the middle without having to watch anybody.

roykeane19

Its shocking how far the white Pele has fallen. Alot of the blame for him still being here is also due to agent Moyes, how did fergie choose him after he retired, truly baffling

spwd

I wish someone would ask him if he would leave because playing him or keeping him isn't up to Uniteds standards and he doesn't match the clubs ambitions like when he famously questioned the club, I love to hear what he said, I'm pretty sure it would be either delusional or complete bullshit.

spwd

Noticed that as well. Pointed to players to cover this guy and that guy so that he could just stand in the middle without having to watch anybody.
Exactly as I said earlier in here, he just tries to look busy without doing anything.

Pearson

I thought he did okay tonight. as far as I know, he is better than he was for most of time last season.

dogwithabone

Nothing great but he was a lot better today than much of this season. His touches weren't so heavy and a few nice lay offs but it's the dying embers of his United career and probably time to lay off him and remember the good times because his demise as a top level footballer has been pretty sad to watch.

shield

It was hilarious how he could not even foul players properly.

I mean, by the time he had made the necessary body movements to make the tackle the player was already yards ahead of him leaving him to pounce on thin air.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It really is shocking the way his game has deteriorated. You'd expect him to lose a yard or two of pace but every single aspect of his game has gone to shite. That's not normal aging. It's bizarre to watch. In the first 10 minutes he made shite of two quality counter-attacks by making a mess of a bog standard 5-10 metre pass along the deck and you just knew we were carrying a passenger, who would drag down the rest of the team. So depressing to watch.

Djemba-Djemba

"I've got nothing to prove to anyone," Rooney told Sky Sports: "I've played this game a long time. I believe in my ability. If I play the way I played today, I'll score goals."

That was after the opening game of the season at Bournemouth. I know he scored but he was fecking dreadful in that game as he has been for most of the last 18 months at the very least. So back in August at least he was still in denial to how bad he was.

He must be aware now?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It really is shocking the way his game has deteriorated. You'd expect him to lose a yard or two of pace but every single aspect of his game has gone to shite. That's not normal aging. It's bizarre to watch. In the first 10 minutes he made shite of two quality counter-attacks by making a mess of a bog standard 5-10 metre pass along the deck and you just knew we were carrying a passenger, who would drag down the rest of the team. So depressing to watch.
He's got nobody to blame but himself.

PickledRed made this post in the Ronaldo thread recently:

Anyone read 'Winners' by Alistair Campbell? He talks about Ronaldo quite a bit. He cites an example when he visited Carrington. He was with a coach and watching Rooney and Ronaldo outside training. Campbell remarked about how brilliant they both were. The coach agreed but stated that only one will become truly great - Ronaldo. The chief difference being that Rooney knows he's good and that he's 'made it'; whereas Ronaldo never settles, he's always looking to develop and make marginal gains. His attitude is phenomenal.
So I decided to check it and and it's pretty much word for word here. It's worth noting that the book was published in February 2015 and when you consider the timeline of publishing a book, it's safe to say he had written all this before anyone was calling Rooney "in decline" and agendas were built.

So that's what the coaches thought of his attitude some point between 2004 and 2009. If that's what he was like as an 18-23 year old with plenty to prove and titles to be won, can you imagine his attitude to training as a 28 year old captain of an average side with an army of journalists ready to fight his corner? As @Djemba-Djemba's quotes above show, he's an entitled, self centred bull headed cnut.

The idea that he's sacrificed his body for this club and we should show him respect for it is farcical. While we've been making him one of the best paid players in the world, he's been sinking pints and smoking cigarettes. Nobody could convince me that he's in the shape that he's in because of genetics. He's supposed to be exercising 5+ days a week and eating the right foods. It's pretty fecking simple, if you do that you stay fit. Just look at Milner and Defoe, both the same age or older, both played the best part of 700 games, both looked after themselves and both a credit to their clubs. Milner in particular is a pertinent comparison as they're very similar in body types yet he's clearly still working his arse off in training to stay at this level.

He's a lazy wanker who's taken the club for a ride for far too long and it's time for him to feck off and never come back.

Moonwalker

"I've got nothing to prove to anyone," Rooney told Sky Sports: "I've played this game a long time. I believe in my ability. If I play the way I played today, I'll score goals."

That was after the opening game of the season at Bournemouth. I know he scored but he was fecking dreadful in that game as he has been for most of the last 18 months at the very least. So back in August at least he was still in denial to how bad he was.

He must be aware now?
Did you expect him to say "Look, I might have scored today, but let's not kid ourselves here, that'll just mask the fact I'm finished at the top level. I hope the manager doesn't notice, the fool."?

Djemba-Djemba

Did you expect him to say "Look, I might have scored today, but let's not kid ourselves here, that'll just mask the fact I'm finished at the top level. I hope the manager doesn't notice, the fool."?
The fact he felt he had nothing to prove to anyone even though he'd already been fecking shite at that point for months suggested all was not well.

Maybe he should have shown a bit of humility instead of being cocky?

Moonwalker

The fact he felt he had nothing to prove to anyone even though he'd already been fecking shite at that point for months suggested all was not well.

Maybe he should have shown a bit of humility instead of being cocky?
That's a question of style. Your original point was about him being in denial, and of course, you'll never find anything but denial if you expect post-match interviews to reflect how shit you think a player has been.

Djemba-Djemba

That's a question of style. Your original point was about him being in denial, and of course, you'll never find anything but denial if you expect post-match interviews to reflect how shit you think a player has been.
I think most would say he's been total shit for quite some time

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Actually thought his first touch and passing game was a lot better today, even if the game was pretty pedestrian at times...

Finishing and composure dreadful.

Utdstar01

He was so shit. Had 3 very good shooting opportunities, couldn't put 2 on target with all the time in the world and the other straight at the keeper. He offered nothing apart from being completely pedestrian and Carrick was basically running the midfield on his own.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Rooney looked like a retired legend coming back to play in a charity match.
nah mate, he looks even worse....id take Scholes tomorrow without any preparation and id bet any amount he would be class above captain turd.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
My worry is that we will have to pay off his contract or worse still - keep him in a Utd shirt next season.
Unless a club comes in for him, who knows nothing about football, there is no way that anybody would pay money for him.
I said this many times that he is a Championship level striker at best, but quite possibly even that may be too difficult for him.

el3mel

My worry is that we will have to pay off his contract or worse still - keep him in a Utd shirt next season.
Unless a club comes in for him, who knows nothing about football, there is no way that anybody would pay money for him.
I said this many times that he is a Championship level striker at best, but quite possibly even that may be too difficult for him.
He can go to MLS. They'll be looking for his famous figure more than his football.

Status
Not open for further replies.