Westminster Politics

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Truss attacks ‘health police’ over smoking ban
Liz Truss said she feared the Government’s smoking ban would not be the “final stage” of activity by what she described as the “health police”.
She told the House of Commons: “My real fear is that this is not the final stage that the health police want to push. They are the health police and people are concerned about this.
“They want to be able to make their own decisions about what they eat, what they drink and how they enjoy themselves.”
Ms Truss suggested the Tobacco and Vapes Bill was a “virtue-signalling piece of legislation about protecting adults from themselves in the future”.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...test-news-smoking-ban-simon-clarke-liz-truss/

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Brussels is taking back control and stopping foreigners causing trouble.

Before I clicked More on that tweet I assumed it ended with "thought police instructed by the wokerati". I was disappointed.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Everyone should just live raucously and die young. It's the Conservative way! No more 100 year olds draining state coffers with their pensions and crippling the NHS with their 'health conditions' and 'co-morbidities'. Just eat takeaways, smoke like a chimney, and drink like you're on a stag do with Alex Higgins. We're fed up to the back teeth with cancer patients 'virtue signalling', walking around the ward trailing chemotherapy drips behind them. Just roll the dice and take your chances. If it's your time, it's your time. It's the Conservative way! Next time the Health Police stop you and ask you why you're smoking, stub it out in their eye! They're your lungs and YOU decide whether they'll be filled with cancer, not the anti-malignant-growth coalition!

Buy my book before you die as well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
For the love of @Pexbo

I expected that video to be another gaffe of hers where she says something stupid. Somehow it was something even dumber than that.

She's living proof that it's possible to survive without a brain.

In fact - full conspiracy mode now. The elite told her to trash the economy for their own gain, and because there's nothing but air up there she just nodded and mumbled "pm like thatcher?" over and over whilst attempting to eat a brick.

Giggsyking

No self respect, imagine you just sent your fighters to defend him, just to diss you when you call him.

TheGame

I expected that video to be another gaffe of hers where she says something stupid. Somehow it was something even dumber than that.

She's living proof that it's possible to survive without a brain.

In fact - full conspiracy mode now. The elite told her to trash the economy for their own gain, and because there's nothing but air up there she just nodded and mumbled "pm like thatcher?" over and over whilst attempting to eat a brick.
Not only did she make people pay more (including me) for their mortgages but now she is making lots of money by speaking at these freak events in America and over here. The fecking state of politics.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not only did she make people pay more (including me) for their mortgages but now she is making lots of money by speaking at these freak events in America and over here. The fecking state of politics.
Yeah, she fecked lots of people over despite multiple warnings. But she doesn't listen to the so called "experts", why would she? Think of the Pork Markets, Gamey! You're not thinking about the Pork Markets!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The excerpt is quite interesting. Certainly underlines how blinkered Truss was by ideology and how paranoid she was about her colleagues.
The dig at Gove having 'anti-growth instincts' made me laugh.

'We didn't know Britain was sitting on a financial tinderbox': Who's to blame for the bond market meltdown that torpedoed her premiership? Everyone, says LIZ TRUSS, in her blistering new memoir

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...hip-says-LIZ-TRUSS-blistering-new-memoir.html
I thought everyone was fed up listening to experts

cafecillos

I checked. They didn’t. The whole section was a disgrace. Listen to these softball questions and watch a human being try to decipher the Morse code of a symbol playing monkey in their brain.

She led our country. Insane.

This is so fecking shite.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Honest questions for the brittish expecting honest answers

- Do you believe that Truss has below average or above average intelligence
- if it is above why she failed as PM
-if it is below, how she ever got near any position of power let alone MP

Bert_

Hard to quantity intelligence but everything she's done in public life suggests she's either lacks it or simply can't apply it. Maybe she a good artist or something.

Because she's a truly awful politician. Her only vision was to cos-play Thatcher and assumed thats all there was to it. She took a huge risk doing something every economist said was suicidal, but still did it any way and tanked the economy as a result.

Britain is not a meritocracy. Who you know is worth far more than skill or experience. She failed in every ministerial job she was given but still kept getting promoted. Failing upwards has been the Tories MO for years.

Plus the Tory leadership election (and thus the next PM) was decided by the 100k or so Tory party members. It was a choice between her and Sunak and she promised a Tory wet dream economic policy (the one that tanked the economy) and Sunak spent the campaign saying that her plan was a bad idea (because it would tank the economy).

Rewarding her failures probably just reinforced her arrogance and delusions of grandeur. To the point were she believes she can't possibly get it wrong and say failures are due to some grand conspiracy to stop her from succeeding.

Drainy

Listening to a Times Radio discussion of Truss. They say, under the coalition she wanted an update to a childcare policy and had to get Nick Cleggs approval
, he supported the proposal but had to water it down due to budgeting constraints.
She told him she doesn't recognise his authority and stormed out and never got her policy implemented.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Listening to a Times Radio discussion of Truss. They say, under the coalition she wanted an update to a childcare policy and had to get Nick Cleggs approval
, he supported the proposal but had to water it down due to budgeting constraints.
She told him she doesn't recognise his authority and stormed out and never got her policy implemented.
Where's that meme about the guy putting a stick between his bike spokes when you need it?

TheGame

Echoing @Bert_ comments.

I'm not sure about intelligence generally but as for a politician and a minister she is clearly not up to the job and is lacking any self awareness. Her main aim now is to appeal to right wing rhetoric to make further money which shows she knows who she is pandering to.

She was incompetent in many ministerial roles before hand. She decided to run for leadership, cheered on by delusional supporters and thought she was great because she was applauded at Tory membership hustings events when going for leader. She was met with friendly questions and hardly any scrutiny. This made her feel she would be great in the role. However upon being appointed, it soon became apparent what everyone else knew that she was incompetent and had no clue how to be PM. She was then removed by her own party not anyone else.

Selection of candidates for election of MPs and then ministerial positions are political decisions. Due to the voting system in the UK, most areas will vote Tory even if there was a pig with a blue rosette. You just have to look at some of the names in parliament at the moment: Anderson, Gullis, Francois, Atkins, Braverman, Swayne, Jankyns, Fabricant, Trott etc I could go on forever. Then these people are selected for minsterial posts if they align themselves with the PM. Truss was kept around but she was useless in all of her positions. There is no IQ test for MPs and alot of them have no idea of the real world. Just look at Sunak in most situations.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

This Tory government is filled with career politicians, who have moved to leading quite sizeable departments with little expertise or subject matter knowledge. Jeremy Hunt, as an example, has been secretary of state for FCDO, DHSC, DCMS and now the Chancellor. Now, I'm not saying he isn't capable of leading these departments (well tbh, he isn't) but can you really put people in charge of departments who have no prior knowledge, experience, or insight in there? It's symptomatic of this government that we just reshuffle the deck and keep the same people in power, and it's why it's such a shit show.

Now the fact that we have these career politicians, who have no real idea of the departments they lead then we can quite easily say yes they aren't intelligent or competent. Their type of intelligence is playing the game and staying in power. Johnson, Dorries, Gove, Hunt...there's loads of them.

When speaking about Truss specifically - she is part of this same crew. Great at playing the game (as most Tories tend to be) without having much substance.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
This Tory government is filled with career politicians, who have moved to leading quite sizeable departments with little expertise or subject matter knowledge. Jeremy Hunt, as an example, has been secretary of state for FCDO, DHSC, DCMS and now the Chancellor. Now, I'm not saying he isn't capable of leading these departments (well tbh, he isn't) but can you really put people in charge of departments who have no prior knowledge, experience, or insight in there? It's symptomatic of this government that we just reshuffle the deck and keep the same people in power, and it's why it's such a shit show.

Now the fact that we have these career politicians, who have no real idea of the departments they lead then we can quite easily say yes they aren't intelligent or competent. Their type of intelligence is playing the game and staying in power. Johnson, Dorries, Gove, Hunt...there's loads of them.

When speaking about Truss specifically - she is part of this same crew. Great at playing the game (as most Tories tend to be) without having much substance.
I think you can, with the exception of Chancellor of the Exchequer a department head had the Civil Service to provide briefings filled with information to enable ministers to make decisions. The problem with the current Tory crop is for the most part they're thickos who are either ideologically (donor) driven or simply incapable.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think you can, with the exception of Chancellor of the Exchequer a department head had the Civil Service to provide briefings filled with information to enable ministers to make decisions. The problem with the current Tory crop is for the most part they're thickos who are either ideologically (donor) driven or simply incapable.
I was going to say that, the civil service head for those departments would run things not whoever the politicians happen to be at the time. Their job is to get whatever those departments need or to tell the head that they have to cut costs.
they have briefings and even speeches written for them
All that being said, if they had done prior knowledge of course that would help

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Do you believe that Truss has below average or above average intelligence
- I think she’s passably intelligent. Average. Nothing more or or less.

if it is above why she failed as PM
I answered neither. But think what she is, is a good study and she’s probably quite effective. University was probably easy enough and she was cosseted from then into safe spaces where just ‘doing’ was enough. She looks like a busy little cnut. You can go far in the civil service and politics by being a busy cnut that can write well. She probably has those attributes. Curry favour with seniors who you’re being effective for, get promoted into different departments, and round out a puddle thin experience level of lots, while never quite staying long enough to have to be an ideas person, or get anyone to follow your ideas

That the Tory Party has baked in a meritocracy amongst a pool of people that included plotting dreamers under May… then excluded anyone with any gumption or short term desires under the thin skinned Boris. You kind of got left with this limp bunch of inexperienced and ineffectual idiots that have got far too close to actual power and mistake that as being an endorsement of their capabilities.

There are probably 5-10 Tory MP’s that would make a good cabinet minister, none of them are in it. That Michael Gove is (by almost all accounts), the most effective Minister in the Tory government is just flat out scary.

RedChip

Do you believe that Truss has below average or above average intelligence
- I think she’s passably intelligent. Average. Nothing more or or less.

if it is above why she failed as PM
I answered neither. But think what she is, is a good study and she’s probably quite effective. University was probably easy enough and she was cosseted from then into safe spaces where just ‘doing’ was enough. She looks like a busy little cnut. You can go far in the civil service and politics by being a busy cnut that can write well. She probably has those attributes. Curry favour with seniors who you’re being effective for, get promoted into different departments, and round out a puddle thin experience level of lots, while never quite staying long enough to have to be an ideas person, or get anyone to follow your ideas

That the Tory Party has baked in a meritocracy amongst a pool of people that included plotting dreamers under May… then excluded anyone with any gumption or short term desires under the thin skinned Boris. You kind of got left with this limp bunch of inexperienced and ineffectual idiots that have got far too close to actual power and mistake that as being an endorsement of their capabilities.

There are probably 5-10 Tory MP’s that would make a good cabinet minister, none of them are in it. That Michael Gove is (by almost all accounts), the most effective Minister in the Tory government is just flat out scary.
Thought she just scrapped a third at uni? If she is a busy cnut, then the only explanation for a third is thick as a plank.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006

GOOD NEWS!!! INFLATIONS COMING DOWN!!!!

But prices are still going up?

Yes, but the rate at which prices are going up is coming down, its 4% not 5%.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Thought she just scrapped a third at uni? If she is a busy cnut, then the only explanation for a third is thick as a plank.
I said average tbf.

What makes me laugh most. Is kind of a source of shame. I was popular at school because I was smart and good at sport. That was it. Kinda coasted by.

Some kids… not so lucky. Some it just became acceptable to bully. Because kids are awful.

What staggers me is that our entire country managed to do that to our own prime minister. AND SHE CAME BACK FOR THE REUNION.

So odd.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

GOOD NEWS!!! INFLATIONS COMING DOWN!!!!

But prices are still going up?

Yes, but the rate at which prices are going up is coming down, its 4% not 5%.
I read a great comment on the Beeb about this that completely smashed the positive spin that they were trying to put on this news.

Basically it was along the lines of; "if bread is £1 and inflation in year one is 50% then the price goes to £1.50. In the second year when inflation drops to 25% it the price goes up to £1.87. Suddenly everyone starts telling me I should be happy because inflation has come down. But in reality, in the space of two years, the price of an essential item has gone up by 87%."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We live in a country where the wind batters drains off houses four times a year, and the occasional storm that hits us weekly becomes headline news in England if it comes once everyone six months down there. Not to mention our beach front towns become flooded from high waves on any day that ends with a "Y".

How in the feck is it not possible, in this god forsaken shitehole of a country, to take advantage of that unless you've got pals in the North Sea drilling for oil?!