Westminster Politics

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I hope that the EU will now stop this charade by refusing to give an extension or negotiate the withdrawal agreement.

Honest John

As a Tory member? But the rest of the electorate couldn't.
Yes. I am no great fan but it came down to a choice of manager v leader. Load's will argue on here but Johnson is at least a bit can-do. I am hoping that the civil service knocks him into shape on some of his wayward traits.

I am also hoping that he gets May's deal through. I would rather we were not leaving but I cannot see any upside of a 2nd ref or revoking. I'm also petrified of no deal because I think it will ruin the Company that I run.

All the choices are crap - but there you go.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They won't renegotiate the WA but could give another extension. Depends on Boris's behaviour I would guess.
The next few days are going to be interesting. In particular what type of Boris Johnson is he going to be now he is the PM.
He will do well to focus on the immediate problems rather than the bluster of defeating the fool Corbyn.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They won't renegotiate the WA but could give another extension. Depends on Boris's behaviour I would guess.
The only way you force such buffoon to his knees is to make him face reality. Let the UK walk without a deal, let the British economy burn and him facing the consequences of his BS. Then the voter would turn against him, he'll be kicked out in disgrace and the UK can finally return to the fold, accepting that adults should lead politics not clowns.

Djemba-Djemba

Oh come on they weren't that bad. Granted a bit posh but atleast one of them was happy with a more liberal Conservative leader!

Some of them maybe, those two were fine. Where is the tolerance from the liberals that they are so famed for? I'm guessing it doesn't count when it comes to Tories!

Or clever...
I take it you're a Tory then?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The next few days are going to be interesting. In particular what type of Boris Johnson is he going to be now he is the PM.
He will do well to focus on the immediate problems rather than the bluster of defeating the fool Corbyn.
Agreed, it's about time Boris grew up and faced reality. And are they really worried about Corbyn?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The only way you force such buffoon to his knees is to make him face reality. Let the UK walk without a deal, let the British economy burn and him facing the consequences of his BS. Then the voter would turn against him, he'll be kicked out in disgrace and the UK can finally return to the fold, accepting that adults should lead politics not clowns.
Yes it's fitting that he will have to deal with the reality concerning Brexit, be interesting to see his approach, he'll change directions constantly I would imagine to try to wriggle out of the blame .

0le

Yes it's fitting that he will have to deal with the reality concerning Brexit, be interesting to see his approach, he'll change directions constantly I would imagine to try to wriggle out of the blame .
He will blame the EU for forcing the UK to leave without a deal and making any future negotiation difficult. His supporters will blindly believe him because they were likely against the EU in the first place.

Honest John

May's deal is the key I reckon. Somehow he has to get it through. Not sure how but some more 'clarification' from the EU maybe, or something concrete in the future arrangement that he can hang on to to say that the context has changed.
If he can pull it off and the UK leaves, with a deal on the 31st Oct then everything becomes possible for Johnson. The Brexit party, although pissed off, will cease to have a raison d'etre so the chance of losing votes to them disappears. With the Labour party as it is at present he could call GE and probably win by a decent margin. May's deal, even though the numbers last time out don't stack up, is still the path of least resistance IMO. Johnson's test is whether he can sell it better than May. Remember the deficit went from -230 to -149 to -58 which means he needs to get another 30 odd MP's to go for it.

For me that is the best outcome in all this.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Well in the US we re not that far removed from Trump calling for the destruction of those who oppose him, get ready for Boris to do the same. Time to move to.. I dunno.. New Zealand maybe?
I'd be on the next flight if someone would employ me :lol:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
May's deal is the key I reckon. Somehow he has to get it through. Not sure how but some more 'clarification' from the EU maybe, or something concrete in the future arrangement that he can hang on to to say that the context has changed.
If he can pull it off and the UK leaves, with a deal on the 31st Oct then everything becomes possible for Johnson. The Brexit party, although pissed off, with cease to have a raison d'etre so the chance of losing votes to them disappears. With the Labour party as it is at present he could call GE and probably win by a decent margin. May's deal, even though the numbers last time out don't stack up, is still the path of least resistance IMO. Johnson's test is whether he can sell it better than May. Remember the deficit went from -230 to -149 to -58 which means he needs to get another 30 off MP's to go for it.

Considering Brexiteers who advocate this deal say we're not allowed to have a second vote on Brexit because that isn't democratic, why it's fine for parliament to have to vote for something again that's been resoundingly rejected?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
The problem, though, is that with Corbyn at the helm for labour, who is there to hold this clown to account?

Politics is a real mess at the moment. Both main parties have, IMO, unelectable leaders. But alas, Bojo reigns.

Full bodied red

I know but I don't find the UK system democratic at all and am sure every system has its faults but I'd prefer the president of the EU recommended by 28 heads of states and endorsed by the EU parliament than 160000 members of a political party deciding who is the PM of the UK.

But all Political Parties vote for their leader - one could argue that if Corbyn becomes PM next year, he was voted for as Leader by just Labour Party Members and his local constituents - not the other 20+ million voters

But Yes....I agree that the UK system is flawed.

People should be voting either for ( 1 ) Independent MPs to represent them - so no candidates' political party affiliation on the Ballot Paper, or ( 2 ) no candidates on the Ballot Paper, just a list of Political Parties and the MP will be assigned to the Constituency by the winning Party. I admit this second option is variation on the German system and something which I think is too bad to be true, but others might like it and approve of it.

The other thing, of course, is what I said a few days ago - in the case that a new PM is required ( resignation, death, etc ) then the a replacement PM should be chosen through a General Election, not as we've seen today.

As it is, the UK system seems to be the worst of all possibilities and pisses off nearly everyone, but especially the losers who then have a whole array of reasons to moan about - although I'd have to say that here on the Caf it's more like Red Square than Red Cafe most days, and all the Comrades moaning on here today conveniently forget that Brown took over from Blair as the UK's PM without even a vote not so long ago, and if there was a Labour Government, today, and a new PM required, it would probably be exactly the same again.

Dobba

If he can pull it off and the UK leaves, with a deal on the 31st Oct then everything becomes possible for Johnson. The Brexit party, although pissed off, with cease to have a raison d'etre so the chance of losing votes to them disappears. With the Labour party as it is at present he could call GE and probably win by a decent margin. May's deal, even though the numbers last time out don't stack up, is still the path of least resistance IMO. Johnson's test is whether he can sell it better than May. Remember the deficit went from -230 to -149 to -58 which means he needs to get another 30 odd MP's to go for it.

Then why doesn't he? The hard work part of the rest would become academic as he'll have a majority to pass anything he wants.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Then why doesn't he? The hard work part of the rest would become academic as he'll have a majority to pass anything he wants.
I mean, there have been rumours he might. I think he'd win, but also arguably a mistake to call one - elections can be surprising and no guarantee things wouldn't change during a campaign.