Westminster Politics

Untied

Will be interesting now if parties start shifting to a VonC. I just don't see where Corbyn gets the support of the House from if this is the route they go down. Swinson has already said she won't support it and many of the now independent former Tory MPs have said they wouldn't support putting Corbyn into No. 10.

Labour + SNP = 282 seats.
Swinson said she backed a referendum on leaving the EU, she then said she backed a second referendum, she now wants to revoke the initial referendum she supported, reneging on her promise of a second referendum. She campaigned on a manifesto that supported scrapping tuition fees. She voted to treble them. I wouldn't rely on anything she says.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Care to give me a simple scenario of how the Benn act has in any way has prevented a deal? Something concrete, what could the EU have done that they may not have done because the legislation
Has anyone got anything concrete here Smores? On the face of it, I believe that the Benn Bill makes it easier for the EU to hold their position on the current withdrawal agreement and insist nothing can be changed.

Smores

Has anyone got anything concrete here Smores? On the face of it, I believe that the Benn Bill makes it easier for the EU to hold their position on the current withdrawal agreement and insist nothing can be changed.
No but the rest of us can't think of anyway this theory works. I've yet to hear any actual substance to it beyond fluffy concepts. If it's a valid concept it shouldn't be that hard to arrive at examples.

From your answer it seems like you believe the EU might drop the backstop from the withdrawal agreement if they're scared of no deal?

Volumiza

From your answer it seems like you believe the EU might drop the backstop from the withdrawal agreement if they're scared of no deal?
No, I don't believe for one second they'll drop the backstop but I believe Boris, if he wants a deal (there's nothing to suggest he does though), should be working flat out to find a workable alternative.

On this I agree with the EU, we voted to leave, we sort it out.

nickm

There is absolutely no evidence to support this assumption - only a British citizen believing that because their politicians are consistently sneaky and underhanded, then so to will be the politicians of the other EU members.

As for your argument about the Benn Act scuttling any chance of negotiations, you are refusing to accept what is and had always been clear. While Britain may be playing chicken with the EU, the EU are not and have been honest and explicit in what they will and won't accept.

The EU would obviously prefer Britain doesn't leave or that it leaves with a deal, but not to the extent that they will compromise on any of the four pillars or on the border in Ireland. Their obligation to the remaining members outweighs any obligation to Britain - there isn't some secret backdown the EU are keeping until the last moment because a no deal brexit while damaging, is less damaging to the Union than capitulating to the demands of a departing bully.

Theresa May didn't negotiate a bad deal, she negotiated the best deal possible from a shaky position. Johnson nor nobody else is going to negotiate a better one. May at least had the benefit of negotiating from a position of some small integrity - the actions of Boris, Cummings, Mogg and co. over the last few weeks and months have served only to weaken the negotiating position, not strengthen it.

Any argument that Britain can be trusted to work on future solutions for say, the border issue, is now laughable. The image of a trustworthy Britain who will thrive in negotiating trade deals after a no deal brexit disappeared when Boris attempted and failed his parliamentary coup.

You talk of seeing an ounce of compromise from Remainers but where is this compromise on the Leavers side?

From the beginning of this process, all I have seen from Leavers is "what we need", "what we deserve", "what's not fair on us". What about Britain's obligations and responsibilities? Your history of foreign policy means you have obligations outside your own shores - the history of British occupation of Ireland means you cannot just ignore your responsibilities in Northern Ireland and the actions of your politicians over the last 5 years means vague and vapid promises of a future solution cannot reasonably be trusted.

You are all afraid of a backstop which will hold you into obligations that you yourselves signed up to, but give not two shits about the turmoil and instability your actions will result in for a region that your country is responsible for destabilising in the first place.
Well said.

Steven Seagull

There is absolutely no evidence to support this assumption - only a British citizen believing that because their politicians are consistently sneaky and underhanded, then so to will be the politicians of the other EU members.

As for your argument about the Benn Act scuttling any chance of negotiations, you are refusing to accept what is and had always been clear. While Britain may be playing chicken with the EU, the EU are not and have been honest and explicit in what they will and won't accept.

The EU would obviously prefer Britain doesn't leave or that it leaves with a deal, but not to the extent that they will compromise on any of the four pillars or on the border in Ireland. Their obligation to the remaining members outweighs any obligation to Britain - there isn't some secret backdown the EU are keeping until the last moment because a no deal brexit while damaging, is less damaging to the Union than capitulating to the demands of a departing bully.

Theresa May didn't negotiate a bad deal, she negotiated the best deal possible from a shaky position. Johnson nor nobody else is going to negotiate a better one. May at least had the benefit of negotiating from a position of some small integrity - the actions of Boris, Cummings, Mogg and co. over the last few weeks and months have served only to weaken the negotiating position, not strengthen it.

Any argument that Britain can be trusted to work on future solutions for say, the border issue, is now laughable. The image of a trustworthy Britain who will thrive in negotiating trade deals after a no deal brexit disappeared when Boris attempted and failed his parliamentary coup.

You talk of seeing an ounce of compromise from Remainers but where is this compromise on the Leavers side?

From the beginning of this process, all I have seen from Leavers is "what we need", "what we deserve", "what's not fair on us". What about Britain's obligations and responsibilities? Your history of foreign policy means you have obligations outside your own shores - the history of British occupation of Ireland means you cannot just ignore your responsibilities in Northern Ireland and the actions of your politicians over the last 5 years means vague and vapid promises of a future solution cannot reasonably be trusted.

You are all afraid of a backstop which will hold you into obligations that you yourselves signed up to, but give not two shits about the turmoil and instability your actions will result in for a region that your country is responsible for destabilising in the first place.
Fair play that’s the worlds biggest strawman. Where have I said anything about no dealers not needing to compromise or anything of that ilk? What have I said about the Benn act? I have mentioned Benn once and it was to say Johnson was being a nob calling it the surrender act.

To clarify, we should’ve voted for the WA when we had the chance. Did you mean to add quotes from about 6 other posters because I don’t really disagree with anything you have said.

buchansleftleg

No but the rest of us can't think of anyway this theory works. I've yet to hear any actual substance to it beyond fluffy concepts. If it's a valid concept it shouldn't be that hard to arrive at examples.

The backstop will have to be there as it is essentially a mechanism to carry over the International treaty of the Good Friday agreement. Most English people seem to be forgetting this isn't some little backroom deal sorted out between the DUP and Sinn Feinn that we can turn our back on. It's an international treaty that ended a war that was signed by the British and Irish governments but also further ratified by the EU, America and the United nations.

The ONLY latitude within the backstop is where you apply the necessary customs and safety checks. Given they CAN'T be between Northern Ireland and the Republic then they either exist in the Irish Sea (something the DUP is dead against) or the UK is tied to remain in a full customs and trade agreement with the EU, meaning we would not be able to make further trade agreements without EU agreement.

This isn't a game of Chicken - we are not in direct head on collision with the EU. They have 27 other nations with which to trade internally and the whole "no deal threat" scenario is based on the arrogant idea that keeping the UK sweet is worth more to the EU than keeping Ireland happy. The flaw in this argument is that the EU would disintegrate if it was seen to favour the UK over one of it's smaller member states. It also doesn't want to be seen as an organisation that flouts international treaties.

Brexiteers and the ERG seem to not realise that the UK already has a horrendous reputation historically as treaty breakers, second only to the Americans as riding roughshod over international law. They seem to think that we can get away with this sort of behaviour once again and fantasise of becoming a bold Buccaneering Nation once again!

The reality was however we developed an empire by monetising a venal slave trade, commited acts of piracy and theft and created counter insurgencies to destabilise other countries and then dominate and control them through acts of brutality, negligence and cruelty. The brexiteers need to realise that the English are despised in many countries and won't be trusted.

The shenanigans that Boris is trying is not skilled negotiation...it's just the same old bull the English have tried before and it is not going to fly in the modern world.

Honest John

I cant help but feel that given how things are going that we might end up with Mays deal presented back to the house with the cross party additions that were agreed (possibly with the backstop called something else but essentially unchanged) and although 30 or so ERG types might reject it that there might be enough opposition MP's to get it over the line to essentially avoid disruption / riots / civil war

Followed by a confidence motion and an immediate election (where the conservatives stand on WTO at the end of the transition period, the liberals stand on rejoining and labour pretend brexit is finished and we have another 2 years of constant political fighting through the transition phase about what we are transitioning to)
Pretty much agree with this. However I don't think the Tories will want WTO. Canada ++ will be what we get. I also don't feel that getting to a FTA like that will be as protracted as many people think. Unlike Canada the UK has been a member of the block for 45 years, it shouldn't be too much of an ask to align regulations and agree customs arrangements.

Whatever is agreed in the WA for NI will probably remain in place but will be reformed over time to better fit with the FTA.

I think that is how it will be politically and economically but to the person in the street I don't reckon that it will feel all that different.

If we can get there then maybe there will be something to build on.

I am resigned to leaving now. Softer the better. But arguing against it is starting to look ridiculous.

Smores

Oh i forgot in my list of road to naziville stories that the government are also advertising pro-brexit propoganda in our schools. Yay

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Pretty much agree with this. However I don't think the Tories will want WTO. Canada ++ will be what we get. I also don't feel that getting to a FTA like that will be as protracted as many people think. Unlike Canada the UK has been a member of the block for 45 years, it shouldn't be too much of an ask to align regulations and agree customs arrangements.

Whatever is agreed in the WA for NI will probably remain in place but will be reformed over time to better fit with the FTA.

I think that is how it will be politically and economically but to the person in the street I don't reckon that it will feel all that different.

If we can get there then maybe there will be something to build on.

I am resigned to leaving now. Softer the better. But arguing against it is starting to look ridiculous.
Im minded to agree with all bit the bolded part...

i work with governments and what we do is often aligned with trade deals (and financing huge infra schemes for governments)... I know a lot of the people who are likley to be asked to work on a deal from the UK side and they all tell me the same thing

Typically trade deals are complex but collaberative - i.e. you are seeking to align regulations and remove barriers to promote more trade and economic benefits.

this will from a technical point of view in theory be easier in that regualations are aligned and there are no barriers... but politically this brings major problems in that almost certainly there will be areas that one side seeks to protect (financial services, or fishing rights for example) and the trade off will be that the other side feels compelled to also put up some protection... and this can escalate very quickly into tit for tat tarifs and barriers and suddenly the atmosphere becomes very confrontational

If this starts in an environment without a W.A. and there are outstanding issues over finances and ireland etc they all tell me that its going to be an extremely slow process (and even with a W.A. they tell me that a good deal for both parties will be almost if not actually impossible to negotiate in the W.A. timeframe)

Im sure if we take a bad enough deal something can be done and if the economics of WTO are harmful we might have to... equally if a combo of brexit / conservatives win I could even see them prioratising a deal with the USA before they even start an EU negotiation - a stupid decision I feel economically but politically justifiable in terms of striking new deals around the world etc.

diarm

Fair play that’s the worlds biggest strawman. Where have I said anything about no dealers not needing to compromise or anything of that ilk? What have I said about the Benn act? I have mentioned Benn once and it was to say Johnson was being a nob calling it the surrender act.

To clarify, we should’ve voted for the WA when we had the chance. Did you mean to add quotes from about 6 other posters because I don’t really disagree with anything you have said.
Yeah apologies, I misread @Volumiza 's post as being yours. I've edited my original post to show that.

Volumiza

While Britain may be playing chicken with the EU, the EU are not and have been honest and explicit in what they will and won't accept.
This game of chicken has been a disgrace, no doubt.

I voted to remain but I genuinely think the referendum should be respected. I think I was one of the few in the country that thought TM's deal was ok, delivered on most of the points of Brexit while keeping in close regulatory and trade alignment during a transition period and was a good compromise for both leave and remain groups.

On this point I totally agree. The governments position on this has been a complete demolition ball!

I've seen talk of seeing an ounce of compromise from Remainers but where is this compromise on the Leavers side?
If you are referring to any of my posts with this then I have clearly stated compromise is needed from BOTH sides. Remainers should accept the result of the largest democratic process in this country's history and the Brexiteers need to accept it could never be as hardline as some were and still are aiming for. We are still European even if the majority wanted to be free of further integration.

From the beginning of this process, all I have seen from Leavers is "what we need", "what we deserve", "what's not fair on us".
To be fair, this has been the position of BOTH sides and why we are still in this massivley damaging and embarrassing situation.

What about Britain's obligations and responsibilities? Your history of foreign policy means you have obligations outside your own shores - the history of British occupation of Ireland means you cannot just ignore your responsibilities in Northern Ireland and the actions of your politicians over the last 5 years means vague and vapid promises of a future solution cannot reasonably be trusted.
I'm not sure any, or many reasonable people who voted for Brexit, and there are millions, aren't aware of this Diarm.

One of the main frustrations of Brexiteers, certainly the ones I know, family and friends, feel that we (the people) weren't asked whether we wanted to sign up to anything other than a free trade agreement. I think all over Europe, the electorate should have been given the say throughout the formation of what is now the EU.

Edit: as an addition, my partner is Greek. Her family, that still live over there, have had their lives and business made very difficult by being part of the EU. The EU is not a good fit for everybody no matter its intentions.

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
I cant help but feel that given how things are going that we might end up with Mays deal presented back to the house with the cross party additions that were agreed (possibly with the backstop called something else but essentially unchanged) and although 30 or so ERG types might reject it that there might be enough opposition MP's to get it over the line to essentially avoid disruption / riots / civil war

Followed by a confidence motion and an immediate election (where the conservatives stand on WTO at the end of the transition period, the liberals stand on rejoining and labour pretend brexit is finished and we have another 2 years of constant political fighting through the transition phase about what we are transitioning to)
I've been saying this for a long time as some will know. I think we're at a point where a good few MPs wish they had backed it, and would now given the chance, suitably rebranded as you say. Corbyn and McDonnell should have given a free vote on it in the first place instead of playing election games, considering they had themselves backed honouring the referendum in two elections and backed the withdrawal act in parliament.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Well yeah thats a good point, not sure what the options would be exactly beyond remain, leave with a deal May's/Another or crash out.

Not everyone's going to be 100% happy but leaving with a deal is at least less damaging and it could possibly satisfy most people.
The problem is that there aren't many solutions. And those that are possible have all been rejected already.
If people would act sensibly, and stop the "we're going to invent some magical solution" or "the EU are going to cave in because of German car manufacturers" or "we can have the same benefits outside the EU as inside the EU". These are all complete rubbish and just stoking up the divisions in the public even more.

And you know that if there was a referendum the same tripe will be spouted by all the different parties/factions in their campaigns.

finneh

Funnily enough, this looks like a strawman argument.

Name some equivalent Corbyn anti-Israel rhetoric. With links please.
It doesn't need to be "equivalent" as that's a subjective term. Who decides what's equivalent? Would you be comfortable with pressure groups achieving a UK ban of criticism of the Netanyahu regime under the guise of eliminating anti-Semitism?

Any attack on free speech is an attack on civil liberties.
And anyways, don't tell me you actually think that we all have 'free speech'. Please
We don't which is outrageous and it's being eroded all the time. Whether under the guise of anti-racism (see the criticism Momentum have gotten for genuinely fair criticisms), or by specific government policy.

finneh

a serious debate should have been held during the referendum and not some idiotic dishonest campaign like that was held by the leave mob.
The level of debate is determined by the effectiveness of said debate. The greater chance something has of winning the more it'll be used. This is the case in every election or referendum.

Telling one side of the argument to do something that's counterproductive to their cause would by definition be a rigged democratic exercise.
The fact is that the electorate of each EU country gets to vote for their politicians who govern for them. It has been clear to the voters what they have been intending to do in respect of the EU and even now the electorate of each EU member state can vote for a political party who wants out of the EU. In other words, Brussels is no more or less democratic than Westminster. Well actually, at least most EU member states have proportional representation in their country so I wouldn’t want to say the EU is quite as undemocratic as that... ;)
My point has never been that it's less democratic by design (although their is an argument for that)... My point is it's less democratic because of its size.

The EU is less democratic for the same reason a world government would be less democratic.
I'd agree that some things are wrong in the EU. For example, it’s ridiculous that we poison our farmland after every harvest or allow ourselves to be lobbied (some say bribed) and have our policies influenced by large profit making industries whose only interest is greed.
On the other hand, what’s the alternative?
The alternative for me is democracy on a more local level. The more local something is the smaller the likelihood of corruption.

Think of a global government in comparison with a government of a town of 500. The chances of a huge global company successfully lobbying the former is huge and obvious. The cost is comparatively small compared with the potential benefits (a small change in policy would have huge financial ramifications). The cost to lobby the government of a population of 500 would outweigh the benefits in the vast majority of situations. The cost to lobby a government of 1 person becomes a simple trade transaction between two people.

The smaller the government the smaller the chance of corruption. That's why the EU is always going to be less democratic.
I can’t see the likes of a Farrage or Boris being champions of social justice and sustainable technologies. To think Britain will be better off outside the EU is absurd. The EU has done so much good for society in general. One of the main successes of the EU for example is its protecting of the rights & safety of its citizens, whether that’s been in food or social justice for example. It has also coincided with the longest period of peace in European history. Never has there been such little conflict in Europe probably since civilization first arrived in Europe. (Can you imagine what’s going to happen with the fisheries if there’s a no deal Brexit?!)
I could go on all night about examples of where the EU benefits us all. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal and without much of it’s citizens rights & protections guaranteed then the UK population will be left to the mercy of the types of leaders like Farrage & Boris Johnson. I know what I feel more happy with, do you?
I think Farage and Johnson are idiots. I voted leave in spite of them, not because of them.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

"F*ck shaking hands - get back to your own country."

Flying high

Is there anyway to end up with better than we have now? Even cancelling brexit just maintains the status quo.
Cancel brexit and vote Labour.

Do you remember when Cameron and May stood in front of no.10 after their election wins, and spoke of fixing inequality and the imbalances within our country? Well, anyone who believed them, or even gave them the benefit of the doubt, clearly hasn't been paying attention to the way the tories have sold off and destroyed our country.

So if the status quo means the continued tory rule, then no, it probably won't get any better whichever way brexit goes.

pacifictheme

A tory government released from the shackles of the eu is their wet dream. Goodbye workers rights. Goodbye nhs. Hello tax breaks for the rich.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A tory government released from the shackles of the eu is their wet dream. Goodbye workers rights. Goodbye nhs. Hello tax breaks for the rich.
Got it in one.
Does anyone really think that Boris or JRM and their right wing mates actually give a sh1t about ordinary people....
Because if you do then keep talking the tablets, assuming they will be available after we crash out.

Flying high

I don’t think it is a bad argument. It will only become harder to leave as time goes on. If we don’t leave now I’m sure there will quickly be some new treaties signed (which we don’t get a vote on) that make leaving virtually impossible
I was being polite really. It's a terrible argument on par with 30m Turks landing on our streets(with less xenophobia).

What would be more difficult to leave in the future? Think about that point for a minute. Are you basically saying that we would have more advantages from being within the EU so it would be even more damaging to leave? Because that's certainly how it seems.

Steven Seagull

I was being polite really. It's a terrible argument on par with 30m Turks landing on our streets(with less xenophobia).

What would be more difficult to leave in the future? Think about that point for a minute. Are you basically saying that we would have more advantages from being within the EU so it would be even more damaging to leave? Because that's certainly how it seems.
If you’re of the opinion that things are getting worse then why would you wait longer to get out? It’s not that hard to grasp is it? The more time passes the more integrated into the EU we become.

Smores

My point has never been that it's less democratic by design (although their is an argument for that)... My point is it's less democratic because of its size.

The EU is less democratic for the same reason a world government would be less democratic.

The alternative for me is democracy on a more local level. The more local something is the smaller the likelihood of corruption.

Think of a global government in comparison with a government of a town of 500. The chances of a huge global company successfully lobbying the former is huge and obvious. The cost is comparatively small compared with the potential benefits (a small change in policy would have huge financial ramifications). The cost to lobby the government of a population of 500 would outweigh the benefits in the vast majority of situations. The cost to lobby a government of 1 person becomes a simple trade transaction between two people.
I partially agree with your first point about layers obscuring democracy but size also means that policy becomes less extreme and more representational. The US federal and state laws are a good example of that but the EU environmental laws too where individual governments are too close to push them through. You will not solve climate change with localised politics.

As for corruption i really don't get how you've arrived at that. Nothing in our politics shows that to be the case as far as I'm aware. The idea that you can lobby the EU easier than MPs or local officials is a bit absurd, collective responsibility is designed to erode such corruption. Is there some specific EU corruption you're rallying against?

Flying high

If you’re of the opinion that things are getting worse then why would you wait longer to get out? It’s not that hard to grasp is it? The more time passes the more integrated into the EU we become.
That's very simple to answer.

Things are not getting worse for us because of the EU.

Stevondo8

With the Benn act, assuming Boris complies and requests the extension (whilst presumably in the background saying ignore this, they made me do it), what happens if say France reject the extension? Do we end up with no deal and Brexit on Oct 31st? Or are we then likely to see the return of May’s deal which will presumably then get support as no deal looms large? Technically he’s obeyed the law by asking for the extension, doesn’t mean they have to give it though. They must be getting as fed up with it as the rest of us.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
With the Benn act, assuming Boris complies and requests the extension (whilst presumably in the background saying ignore this, they made me do it), what happens if say France reject the extension? Do we end up with no deal and Brexit on Oct 31st? Or are we then likely to see the return of May’s deal which will presumably then get support as no deal looms large? Technically he’s obeyed the law by asking for the extension, doesn’t mean they have to give it though. They must be getting as fed up with it as the rest of us.
If France reject then yes it’s a no-deal. But it’s worth remembering that no matter what Boris says in the background, the EU are perfectly aware he’s running a minority government with no majority of any kind, and that a general election is coming very soon. They’ve also been having discussions with the opposition parties.

I’d be astonished if they don’t roll the dice one more time and see how the GE turns out. They don’t really have anything to lose from a few more months delay as long as it’s sorted before next summers budget talks.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Moot point. The EU will grant the extension.

Simbo

I voted to remain but I genuinely think the referendum should be respected
Do you not think the referendum HAS been respected? The main driving force behind it has spent three years doing their best to adhere to it, a process which only seemed to highlight difficulties and reasons why it should not be respected. Feels to me like respecting the referendum has turned into flogging a dead horse.