Westminster Politics

DavidDeSchmikes

Guardian said:
After £2.6m and a seven-month wait, the curtains have finally opened on a studio based inside Downing Street where the prime minister’s press secretary will address the nation in new White House-style TV briefings.

The first glimpses of the room revealed by ITV showed the podium that Allegra Stratton, a former BBC and Guardian journalist who also worked as communications director for the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, will stand behind as she fields questions from journalists.

neverdie

The UK's obsequious and complete socioeconomic/cultural realignment toward the United States in every imaginable arena post-Brexit has been disgusting to watch.

Sweet Square

I'm shocked to see that our right wing posters, who are so ordinarily vexed about free speech issues, so quiet on an actual free speech issue.

Next you'll be telling me they don't care about free speech at all.
Pretty much.

It's turns out the conservative view of free speech is really about having unlimited freedom to clamp down on any form of expression they don't agree with. Not to derail the thread too much but i think it was Zizek who talks about a conversation he had with two former army men involved in the Yugoslav Wars. He talks about how they would brand to him and be nostalgic for the wars because in their view it's far right nationalism that gives people real freedom. It gives you the freedom to kill others, to ethically cleanse populations, to burn people inside their homes, etc. It allows you the freedom to do the most monstrous acts imaginable unlike the left idea of freedom.

Now while it's obviously not the same situation in the UK, likes of Priti Patel clearly really get off on the idea of curbing the freedoms of others.

The description of actions as fascism is overused, but surely in this case it is accurate?
Personally I would just call it very authoritarian. Britain is starting to resemble countries like Poland and Hungary, sadly.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
My employer has a studio and I've seen firsthand how costs can spiral when building them, but £2.6m for that is ridiculous.
I'm guessing £2.6m includes the costs of any building work... Secure communications lines... it infrastructure... cameras, editing studio... staffing etc ... as well as a podium some lights and some chairs... still seems high though

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Silll can't get over the fact that the PM now needs a spokesperson. Presumably this free's up more time for him to get pissed?

We really do regrgitate all the worst ideas from America.
May and brown would probably have benefitted from one

Cameron and Blair both seemed to like being on camera and in their own way both were fairly good

Boris... somewhere in the middle ... seems comfortable at waffling and ad libbing but less ok on a formal setting so I can see the logic

Will be interesting to see who wins the succession fight (patel, gove, sunak) and if they keep the role

No issue with the spokesperson at all. Covid highlighted the need/ and desire for this.

clearly costs appear high - but the spec is obviously higher than just a blue paint job. If this helps promulgate information, then the cost is irrelevant.

Patel will still need a step to see over the podium though. :lol:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
May and brown would probably have benefitted from one

Cameron and Blair both seemed to like being on camera and in their own way both were fairly good

Boris... somewhere in the middle ... seems comfortable at waffling and ad libbing but less ok on a formal setting so I can see the logic

Will be interesting to see who wins the succession fight (patel, gove, sunak) and if they keep the role
But what about Starmer, does he need one? I would think yes, he does.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Silll can't get over the fact that the PM now needs a spokesperson. Presumably this free's up more time for him to get pissed?

We really do regrgitate all the worst ideas from America.

At first I agreed with you on that but when you think about all the great politicians of the past who would have been shit on camera in the modern world, it makes more sense to me. Boris isn't terrible on camera but he does give off that incompetence vibe (pretty accurate TBF) that a professional would avoid. I don't mind the messaging (ugh) being slick since communication is so important these days. Similarly Keir Starmer isn't the greatest in front of the cameras but he's clearly very capable at politics and stuff.

The trouble is it will inevitably end up like the American version where nothing of substance is ever said, difficult questions are batted away without actually being answered, and the whole thing just becomes a crap weekly theater that becomes ultimately pointless.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No, just a representative of a political party and PM who have repeatedly lied and spread misinformation.
And now, he wants the UK to have more nuclear missiles. In what possible scenario does Boris actually think that we are going to require more nuclear weapons than we have now.
What we most certainly need are more conventional forces.
Because you can almost guarantee that at some time in the near future, we are going to have to use them.
But these are being cut.
Am I missing something?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
And now, he wants the UK to have more nuclear missiles. In what possible scenario does Boris actually think that we are going to require more nuclear weapons than we have now.
What we most certainly need are more conventional forces.
Because you can almost guarantee that at some time in the near future, we are going to have to use them.
But these are being cut.
Am I missing something?
Call me a cynic but how much money goes "missing" during the entire process to purchase and develop nuclear weapons?

finneh

I'm shocked to see that our right wing posters, who are so ordinarily vexed about free speech issues, so quiet on an actual free speech issue.

Next you'll be telling me they don't care about free speech at all.
It's an awful, awful piece of legislation proposed by one of the most terrifying politicians (Priti Patel) of a generation.

Fingeredmouse

It's an awful, awful piece of legislation proposed by one of the most terrifying politicians (Priti Patel) of a generation.
I don't think I've ever agreed with anything you've posted regarding politics but I agree with every single word of that sentence emphatically.

neverdie

The day after voting for the policing bill, Dominic Raab is lecturing the world on the fragility of democracy. Is this some sort of sick joke?

Democracy is in retreat, warns Dominic Raab

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56423716
Speaking to the US Aspen Security Forum, Mr Raab will predict that, in the next decade, the combined wealth of autocratic regimes is likely to exceed that of the world's democracies.
"Think about what that means for a second," he will say.
"Tyranny is richer than freedom, and that matters to us here at home
The top twenty economies stand at 40trillion to 16trillion (14trillion of that being Chinese) in terms of democracy to autocracy. The third and fourth richest autocracies (Saudi and Indonesia) are also NATO allies.

He's a lying cnut.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The day after voting for the policing bill, Dominic Raab is lecturing the world on the fragility of democracy. Is this some sort of sick joke?

Democracy is in retreat, warns Dominic Raab

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56423716
The top twenty economies stand at 40trillion to 16trillion (14trillion of that being Chinese) in terms of democracy to autocracy. The third and fourth richest autocracies (Saudi and Indonesia) are also NATO allies.

He's a lying cnut.
Because stable, freedom-respecting democracies are much less likely to go to war,
I mean can i just clarify is he saying America is a stable, freedom- respecting democracy... because Im pretty sure they have been involved in quite a few