Westminster Politics

Jericholyte2

I thought Boris Johnson was absolutely disgusting at PMQs today. Claiming that Priti Patel can't be racist because she is also a member of a minority, offering up the classic, "Look at all of my Black friends" mantra, and suggesting nobody in the Conservatives support booing England players even when Starmer offered the articles showing their comments! And then he also flung out the classic EMA note about how slow the EU is to roll-out the vaccines even when Germany has now overtaken us.

The man disgusts me!

Foxbatt

What the feck is he supposed to mean by 'submission' to Priti Patel - my head's playing all sorts of tricks on me!
Maybe he meant Priti Patel as a dominatrix? Imagine her in all tight fitting black leather. It could be that's what he is imagining too. :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It is easy being the opposition when, in all likelihood, your integrity will not be tested.
It's also easy being in government when you can just talk a load of shite and deflect things.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's hard to read the "submission" line without assuming racist connotations given it was delivered on behalf of a racist government made up of a racist party.

Tibs

Melanie Phillips - I put her in the same league as Priti Patel

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Boris and Priti are going to get away with it, aren't they? It's no longer headline news after 24 hours.

"You stoked the flames of hate and here's the evidence."
"No we didn't and that evidence you're holding in your hands doesn't exist"
End of discussion apparently.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Boris and Priti are going to get away with it, aren't they? It's no longer headline news after 24 hours.

"You stoked the flames of hate and here's the evidence."
"No we didn't and that evidence you're holding in your hands doesn't exist"
End of discussion apparently.
Maybe I’m being overly optimistic here but I get the sense that this whole culture war thing that they have been attempting to stoke hasn’t played out exactly as they’d like it to and the England football team have played a big part in that. Hopefully the rhetoric will calm down a bit.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's also easy being in government when you can just talk a load of shite and deflect things.
And know that hardly anyone cares because we have become conditioned to that type of behaviour.
Boris and the Tories are liars. Yawn yawn..

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Maybe I’m being overly optimistic here but I get the sense that this whole culture war thing that they have been attempting to stoke hasn’t played out exactly as they’d like it to and the England football team have played a big part in that. Hopefully the rhetoric will calm down a bit.
It’s really difficult to say out loud, but if most of the squad came out and openly spoke their mind about politicians, they would move the needle of public perception. I wish they would. I understand why they don’t. But a group that United could really make a difference if they chose to.

Almost without exception these are working class kids that will be richer than the ‘ruling class’ when their career ends. They shouldn’t have to speak up, but they can speak without consequence.

A constant and consistent message along the lines of Southgates pre-tournament letter. It would change England.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
It’s really difficult to say out loud, but if most of the squad came out and openly spoke their mind about politicians, they would move the needle of public perception. I wish they would. I understand why they don’t. But a group that United could really make a difference if they chose to.

Almost without exception these are working class kids that will be richer than the ‘ruling class’ when their career ends. They shouldn’t have to speak up, but they can speak without consequence.

A constant and consistent message along the lines of Southgates pre-tournament letter. It would change England.
I wish I could get behind this but according to the press Boris cancelled meeting the England player, which I think we all know sounds like bullshit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I wish I could get behind this but according to the press Boris cancelled meeting the England player, which I think we all know sounds like bullshit.
100% they cancelled. Not him.

They don’t need him. At all. They have a bigger audience than he ever will. They just need to use it.

Again, it’s a tough ask. But the support is there.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
100% they cancelled. Not him.

They don’t need him. At all. They have a bigger audience than he ever will. They just need to use it.

Again, it’s a tough ask. But the support is there.
Absolutely, but they used their popularity to cancel the trip and make a statement, and the media covered for Boris immediately and said that he cancelled the event.

I wish I'm wrong but I just think this is going to be the same shit like it always is. Without media traction everything will be forgotten and we'll move on to the next scandal.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Are we beginning to see the odd crack in the government armour.
Racism and the England football players.
And the utter chaos in the requirement to wear or to not wear face masks.
On both issues, the government has completely misjudged the the situation. And both seem to be at odds with public opinion.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I do get that impression as well, but I'm a natural optimist. I would hope that comments from the likes of Rashford and Mings do have cut-through, and show the ridiculous hypocrisy of the likes of Patel.

But then, Rashford's initial campaign, while being an overwhelming success, doesn't appear to have made any dent in the government's lead in the polls...

UnrelatedPsuedo

Absolutely, but they used their popularity to cancel the trip and make a statement, and the media covered for Boris immediately and said that he cancelled the event.

I wish I'm wrong but I just think this is going to be the same shit like it always is. Without media traction everything will be forgotten and we'll move on to the next scandal.
If they all broke rank and told the world that Boris cancelled after they told him they wouldn’t attend, he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. They have bigger platforms. But it would need to be a joint effort. And a sustained one.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But then, Rashford's initial campaign, while being an overwhelming success, doesn't appear to have made any dent in the government's lead in the polls...
The thing is though, Rashford never aimed to dent the government’s lead in polls, he just wanted to put meals on the tables of underprivileged young families and he succeeded. It would have been nice if he had but he was very clear about his objective and that it was apolitical.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If they all broke rank and told the world that Boris cancelled after they told him they wouldn’t attend, he wouldn’t have a leg to stand on. They have bigger platforms. But it would need to be a joint effort. And a sustained one.
Yeah. Fingers crossed I suppose!

Reiver

The thing is though, Rashford never aimed to dent the government’s lead in polls, he just wanted to put meals on the tables of underprivileged young families and he succeeded. It would have been nice if he had but he was very clear about his objective and that it was apolitical.
That's true but didn't the Government initially oppose his campaign? You'd think opposing feeding hungry children would have some negative political impact on them.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That's true but didn't the Government initially oppose his campaign? You'd think opposing feeding hungry children would have some negative political impact on them.
You’d think…. But this is brexit Britain.