Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’m not surprised the report is being delayed but I’m surprised the Met are co-conspirators!
Has it been nice weather on the moon these last two years?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Work from home tax loophole? It's not even a feckin loophole. It's a small rebate you get which in no way covers the cost of the electricity, broadband and everyone else you need to work from home every day assuming that's what they're on about. State of that headline.

Maticmaker

Couple of points.
Nobody does knifing their leader in the back like the Tories, when they fear for their seats and the possibility of a Labour government.

And while I do agree that Starmer is not really suited to the rough and tumble, he is demonstrating the difference between Boris behaviour and his more understated, trustworthy and straight manner.
Quite honestly, I am not a fan of Rayner, who comes across as too abrasive and a bit too negative.
I agree, Tories will do anything to hold on to power when they want to hold on, but we are a long way off Tories knifing their leader, he is the one likely to be wielding the knife, or his Whips are threatening potential Tory rebels with such a fate.
Boris has that 'Teflon' characteristic and will quite possibly ride out whats left of the 'party-gate' storm, or should we say overcome the 'high wind' when Gray's report, or its summary, or the synopsis, or whatever, finally gets published!

The flip side is whether Boris himself actually wants to go! In which case Gray becomes the 'sword on which he can fall' and still retain some credibility by 'doing the decent and falling on it!'.

All PM's fail eventually, that is why they either get removed by their party, or by the electorate. Boris must realise that even if he survives this, his pulling power with the 'uncommitted' electorate is probably permanently damaged. If he goes now by his own hand, taking the sins of the party on his shoulders, he allows his party to either replace him with someone who can win in two years time; or if they think the immediate future is a return to 'more austerity', they may want to try to handover to Labour for a spell... write their own 'the money's all gone' note for the next Labour Chancellor.

Also if the Tory party, with Boris's departure, are in effect beginning a long run in 'to playing for time' (even though almost 40 % of the Parliamentary match remains) then watch out for all the 'handouts', the 'jobs for the boys, i.e. cushy post parliament jobs for ex-ministers, that are likely to suddenly flood out from Downing Street.
Also all the 'we are leaving you in the shit parties' that will occur.... because don't we know yet that"we've never had it so good"!

Yes Rayner needs to be kept chained up and fed on raw meat, and let loose at the dispatch box when appropriate on weakened Tory ministers

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60166997

Is anyone even remotely surprised at this latest so called development.
We were all told that we must wait for the report by Sue Gray. So we have waited and waited and waited.
All the time of course knowing that we were probably not going to see the truth about what we all realise happened.
And as soon as the Met got involved, that was it. Despicable people should be ashamed of themselves. But are probably laughing at the way we were gullible enough to go along with it.

TheReligion

Abusive
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60166997

Is anyone even remotely surprised at this latest so called development.
We were all told that we must wait for the report by Sue Gray. So we have waited and waited and waited.
All the time of course knowing that we were probably not going to see the truth about what we all realise happened.
And as soon as the Met got involved, that was it. Despicable people should be ashamed of themselves. But are probably laughing at the way we were gullible enough to go along with it.
What an absolute shambles

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Remember the Mueller report? How it showed nothing, took ages and Trump was fully exonerated?

You think Boris learned nothing?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Remember the Mueller report? How it showed nothing, took ages and Trump was fully exonerated?

You think Boris learned nothing?
Trump was defending himself primarily against the Democrats. Boris is primarily defending himself against his own party. He can't expect the full throated backing of Tory MP's, because they're already sharpening their knives behind him.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I’m not surprised the report is being delayed but I’m surprised the Met are co-conspirators!
Really? People forget, they've always known about these lockdown parties and the rest. Literally from day dot.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Trump was defending himself primarily against the Democrats. Boris is primarily defending himself against his own party. He can't expect the full throated backing of Tory MP's, because they're already sharpening their knives behind him.
The Tory MP’s are only interested in their own survival. They were sharpening the knives for Boris, it’s because coming out against him was the best action for their own reputation.

If they think Boris can successfully suppress this report and the news cycle will move on to other issues and they get their 4+ point lead in the polls back then all principles will be nowhere to be seen again.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Really? People forget, they've always known about these lockdown parties and the rest. Literally from day dot.
Yes of course they knew. Have you ever see a picture of Downing Street without a police officer somewhere close. And of course they were aware. How could they not.
It just stinks.
Just listened to the midday news. All about issues with those in positions of authority.
The government scandals....
A Met police officer accused of rape...
And those Duke of York scandals...
Honestly. What a state of affairs. And we are supposed to look up to and show respect for these people.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Work from home tax loophole? It's not even a feckin loophole. It's a small rebate you get which in no way covers the cost of the electricity, broadband and everyone else you need to work from home every day assuming that's what they're on about. State of that headline.
I didn't even get it for any tax year even though I have worked from home since March 2020.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Q: Were there any parties?
Boris: Sue Gray.
Q: Okay, were YOU at any party?
Boris: Sue Gray.
Q: But ...
Boris: SUE GRAY!!
Q: What did your investigation find?
Sue Gray: I'm not allowed to say.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Yes of course they knew. Have you ever see a picture of Downing Street without a police officer somewhere close. And of course they were aware. How could they not.
It just stinks.
Just listened to the midday news. All about issues with those in positions of authority.
The government scandals....
A Met police officer accused of rape...
And those Duke of York scandals...
Honestly. What a state of affairs. And we are supposed to look up to and show respect for these people.
feck this country, never mind respect, we need a total french style revolution, including a guillotine

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
feck this country, never mind respect, we need a total french style revolution, including a guillotine
I'm up for that. Funny how they pushed through that protesting bill isn't it? Wonder how far down the rot goes in the Met though and how many of them would step aside if indeed it did ever kick off?

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Weird. I know you had to reapply on a yearly basis but you should've received a letter and got a different tax code. Wasn't much tbh but was something at least.
I did get a new tax code but I don't recall my payslips being any better in terms of money coming in...

Smores

The question we should always ask ourselves is how could this get more farcical because usually it does just that.

My prediction is the police are actually going to investigate an individual involved in a leak of some sorts and not actually the events.

Dobba

The question we should always ask ourselves is how could this get more farcical because usually it does just that.

My prediction is the police are actually going to investigate an individual involved in a leak of some sorts and not actually the events.
They'll find the leaker jumped a ticket barrier, after being told to stop by police, whilst wearing a large jacket with wires coming out of it. Oh and they'll be a rapist.

Smores

They'll find the leaker jumped a ticket barrier, after being told to stop by police, whilst wearing a large jacket with wires coming out of it. Oh and they'll be a rapist.
Or even worse he once said hello to Corbyn :eek: