Westminster Politics

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm up for that. Funny how they pushed through that protesting bill isn't it? Wonder how far down the rot goes in the Met though and how many of them would step aside if indeed it did ever kick off?
Dictatorship by stealth, with the Met as their bully boy storm troopers.

owlo

This is one of the reasons why I've always maintained the police should never have been involved.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The Tory MP’s are only interested in their own survival. They were sharpening the knives for Boris, it’s because coming out against him was the best action for their own reputation.

If they think Boris can successfully suppress this report and the news cycle will move on to other issues and they get their 4+ point lead in the polls back then all principles will be nowhere to be seen again.
I don't disagree at all about Tory MP's motivations, but I don't think that 4+ lead comes back under Boris now. Previously things have bounced off him, this time too many blows struck home.

I'm sticking with my prediction. Gone in February.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I don't disagree at all about Tory MP's motivations, but I don't think that 4+ lead comes back under Boris now. Previously things have bounced off him, this time too many blows struck home.

I'm sticking with my prediction. Gone in February.

No chance IMO.

He will be there for months more at least

TheReligion

Abusive
This is one of the reasons why I've always maintained the police should never have been involved.
They had to be involved earlier.

If everything had been investigated in the first instance then there would have been no need for the Sue Gray report. Obviously I don’t know what was done but essentially a transparent review of whatever evidence there was at that point needed to happen then a statement made to the public. If there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone at that point, fine. Say that and move on. Any investigation could be reopened if that changed and new evidence came to light.

The sequence of events is totally off. It’s really odd to be honest and the whole impasse could have been easily avoided.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

If everything had been investigated in the first instance then there would have been no need for the Sue Gray report. Obviously I don’t know what was done but essentially a transparent review of whatever evidence there was at that point needed to happen then a statement made to the public. If there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone at that point, fine. Say that and move on. Any investigation could be reopened if that changed and new evidence came to light.

The sequence of events is totally off. It’s really odd to be honest and the whole impasse could have been easily avoided.
They declined to investigate when they should have done.

Not to mention their officers were on site and would have literally been stood watching what was going on.

The met is rotten to the core.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
There's really no way that the Met can find anything from this investigation without putting their officers outside Number 10 in the firing line as well.

So are we just going to get a severely redacted version of the report, then a police investigation that finds insufficient evidence (Dick takes the flack again and retires with some extra bonuses and a big thank you card from Boris), and because the investigation turned up nothing we're told that there's no need to publish the full report - cue a bunch of backbenchers telling the press that the British people are tired of the whole thing and want Boris to get back to making Britain the bestest place in the world - and since everyone is tired of the whole thing at this point because we're enjoying the nice weather, that's the end of it?

I mean, this wouldn't be the first time that this government have been so brazen and cnutish.

Flying high

Is it odd? Or is it, in the words of Ian Hislop recently: "they're doing what you think they're doing".

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
There's really no way that the Met can find anything from this investigation without putting their officers outside Number 10 in the firing line as well.

So are we just going to get a severely redacted version of the report, then a police investigation that finds insufficient evidence (Dick takes the flack again and retires with some extra bonuses and a big thank you card from Boris), and because the investigation turned up nothing we're told that there's no need to publish the full report - cue a bunch of backbenchers telling the press that the British people are tired of the whole thing and want Boris to get back to making Britain the bestest place in the world - and since everyone is tired of the whole thing at this point because we're enjoying the nice weather, that's the end of it?

I mean, this wouldn't be the first time that this government have been so brazen and cnutish.
I remembered something from when she was interviewing for the Met job, she'd been working in the Foreign Office for a few years, just when Boris was Foreign Secretary

owlo

If they are looking to issue FPNS it’s hugely odd. There are 2 options that make sense.
1) coordinated cover up
2) they are investigating misconduct in public office

Both are pretty horrible scenarios to be honest and it’s why I genuinely believe that government should be held politically accountable as opposed to criminally. Once you remove the individuals from office you can investigate crimes. But a subordinate element of government shouldn’t be investigating the government itself. Nor should the civil service investigation answer to the PM. Too much scope for corruption in both. We need an independent body with real investigative power. Perhaps a special prosecutor who could be empowered by the lords.

This is tainting the civil service and the police as well as the government now.

I suppose it could make sense that sue gray passed the met the info assuming they would slap a few fpn. Cressida dick decided that it was good for public image to do that so did. Now the evidence has been passed to the met anti corruptioncommand they have determined there’s enough evidence to push harder and investigate something serious.

bear in mind this is a government that has no qualms about attacking and punishing”activist lawyers and judges.” Priti Patel becomes the next leader and suddenly the met are in her firing line. Budgets reduced, people reassigned, who knows why. Just like they suddenly only have justice swift available in the high court to hear certain cases.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They declined to investigate when they should have done.

Not to mention their officers were on site and would have literally been stood watching what was going on.

The met is rotten to the core.
Totally correct.
And not just the Met by the way.
It is increasingly clear that pretty much all those so called positions of authority are just as rotten to their core.
And worse still, take the rest of us for fools for putting up with them.

I come from an era when people were prepared to protest on the streets for far less than what is happening now.
So. Are we now to blame for ending up with this total disgrace.

Sparky Rhiwabon

From saying there was nothing for them to investigate to now the Met hurriedly saying they must investigate (and therefore reduce the report to pointlessness), isn't there a danger now that this ends up being swept under the increasingly crowded carpet, as the Met ends up saying (possibly a long time from now) that there is no action for them to be taken (aside from perhaps some fixed penalty notices for some low ranking civil servants) but that it can’t be reported on now as a “police matter”?

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

From saying there was nothing for them to investigate to now the Met hurriedly saying they must investigate (and therefore reduce the report to pointlessness), isn't there a danger now that this ends up being swept under the increasingly crowded carpet, as the Met ends up saying (possibly a long time from now) that there is no action for them to be taken (aside from perhaps some fixed penalty notices for some low ranking civil servants) but that it can’t be reported on now as a “police matter”?
It's clearly what is happening. They want the cover up as much as the PM does as there were police officers on the doors of 10 Downing Street letting people into these parties.

owlo

The officers on duty outside #10 bear no responsibility whatsoever. It’s not their function to report incomings and outgoings, if they did it would be creepy.

not to mention there is an entire underground network of tunnels connected to #10 and the various parts of Whitehall which allow unlimited comings and going.

Fully Fledged

The officers on duty outside #10 bear no responsibility whatsoever. It’s not their function to report incomings and outgoings, if they did it would be creepy.

not to mention there is an entire underground network of tunnels connected to #10 and the various parts of Whitehall which allow unlimited comings and going.
It's their responsibility to uphold the law of the land. If that says that people can't gather in grater numbers than six for private functions then that is a law they should uphold. They had no problem entering other private premises to break up unlawful parties so why should they treat politicians in a different manner than they treat everybody else?

owlo

It's their responsibility to uphold the law of the land. If that says that people can't gather in grater numbers than six for private functions then that is a law they should uphold. They had no problem entering other private premises to break up unlawful parties so why should they treat politicians in a different manner than they treat everybody else?
Three reasons:

1) They are stationed at the gates and have no clue what is going on inside.
2) Their function is protection. Different departments have different functions.
3) They are subordinate not equal.

Fully Fledged

Three reasons:

1) They are stationed at the gates and have no clue what is going on inside.
2) Their function is protection. Different departments have different functions.
3) They are subordinate not equal.
1) Of course they could see what was going on. People going in stone cold sober and coming out inebriated. You don't have to be a detective to know what's happening.
2) Does that mean that it's okay for them to turn a blind eye when they see laws being broken and if not how big does the law have to be for them to actually report on the law breaking?
3) Is this an actual written rule that subordinates can't report on their superiors or an unwritten one because either way it's not good practise.

owlo

1) Of course they could see what was going on. People going in stone cold sober and coming out inebriated. You don't have to be a detective to know what's happening.
2) Does that mean that it's okay for them to turn a blind eye when they see laws being broken and if not how big does the law have to be for them to actually report on the law breaking?
3) Is this an actual written rule that subordinates can't report on their superiors or an unwritten one because either way it's not good practise.
1. I doubt people were rolling out of #10 in droves pissed. It's not really credible to suggest they were as the media would have picked up on it.
2. Pretty much. You turn a blind eye to anything except the most egrerious breaches. It's part of trust. If my security detail reported me for speeding, they would be replaced pretty pronto.
Which leads on to
3. Not sure, but it certainly should be.There should be no world in which either the government or the met can be open to blackmail and intimidation. It happens all the time in weak democracies and is a terrible situation. You end up with a power struggle, followed by either:

a) Government beholden to the police. The police essentially autonomous and overpowered as they have kompromat on everybody and the facility to use it. They decide their own budget, their own use of force. They become not accountable to anyone.
b) The police beholden to government. Welcome to Priti Patel being in charge and all it brings with it. Investigations on opposition and journalists determined by the home office. The government become not accountable to anyone as they can use the police to silence anything.

Fully Fledged

1. I doubt people were rolling out of #10 in droves pissed. It's not really credible to suggest they were as the media would have picked up on it.
2. Pretty much. You turn a blind eye to anything except the most egrerious breaches. It's part of trust. If my security detail reported me for speeding, they would be replaced pretty pronto.
Which leads on to
3. Not sure, but it certainly should be.There should be no world in which either the government or the met can be open to blackmail and intimidation. It happens all the time in weak democracies and is a terrible situation. You end up with a power struggle, followed by either:

a) Government beholden to the police. The police essentially autonomous and overpowered as they have kompromat on everybody and the facility to use it. They decide their own budget, their own use of force. They become not accountable to anyone.
b) The police beholden to government. Welcome to Priti Patel being in charge and all it brings with it. Investigations on opposition and journalists determined by the home office. The government become not accountable to anyone as they can use the police to silence anything.
So your police guard doesn't report you for speeding after all it's hurting no body right. Until the next time you are speeding a young boy follows a ball out into the road. Now you are doing 60mph on a 30mph road and have no way of stopping in time and at the speed you are travelling the boy has no chance of survival.
Does your protective officer admit that you were speeding knowing that it would come out that you had done it countless times before and he hasn't reported you or does the death go down as an unfortunate accident with the parents of the child blaming themselves for the rest of their lives for letting their son play on the park with all the other children his age.
It's only speeding until it isn't.

Flying high

The problem with that is it credits Johnson with a strategic capability he clearly completely lacks. He is genuinely incompetent and this is how he rationalises it.
The problem with that, of course, is that while Johnson and the rest of the tories are no more graced with intelligence than the average person, they are still bright enough to sell off the silver and rig the game even further in their favour. I'd say that as strategies go, this is about their level and is likely to be literally their plan.

Sadly, most of us probably have missed some of the sinister changes they've tried to sneak in behind the wailing caused by Johnson's bullshit cannon. It works. Which is why, whatever their politics, bullshit merchants like Trump and Johnson should never get close to power.

owlo

Boris leaving out top secret documents scattered over his flat because he couldn’t be bothered to put them back in his box.

Thatd be a court martial, loss of pension , and 3 years in prison for us mere mortals….

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I really do despise this guy:

He is almost my local MP and an utter cnut. It has been fun watching his support waning on social media. Hopefully he will be out at the next election

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Burn the entire place down and start again.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Burn the entire place down and start again.

And as the narrative inevitably changes, I can see the Tories recovering and maybe (please God no) getting back into the lead....
They know how fikle the public are.