Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

You are not far wrong about hospital waiting times.
I am waiting for right knee replacement surgery and have been since early last year.
I have been told that none of the local hospitals are doing anything other than emergency surgery, not elective surgery. And I am not likely to be seen until at least the end of 2023 at very best. Even though I am classified as low risk and in urgent need.
The problem is that my left knee is now just as painful and swollen.
Someone I know in the same position, but paying privately, has also had their similar operation deferred, again... apparently the NHS are trying to buy up any and all operating theatre time in private hospitals before the end of the financial year... budgets at risk presumably, 'use or lose' it applies in the NHS as well it seems!

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Someone I know in the same position, but paying privately, has also had their similar operation deferred, again... apparently the NHS are trying to buy up any and all operating theatre time in private hospitals before the end of the financial year... budgets at risk presumably, 'use or lose' it applies in the NHS as well it seems!
The NHS have entered contract with the majority of the private sector, but that is only technically applicable in a ‘surge’ situation, which the omicron variant did not cause (in my geographical area at least). The result of omicron and the suspension of elective surgery is that waiting lists have all been pushed back, the NHS trusts have all gone backwards in their numbers of 80 week & 104 week waiters (which is the measurement).
The private sector fair much much but are not immune from delays….a lot goes into getting someone on the operating table….The combination of patient/staff/consultant all NOT getting covid is still a challenge

Maticmaker

The NHS have entered contract with the majority of the private sector, but that is only technically applicable in a ‘surge’ situation, which the omicron variant did not cause (in my geographical area at least). The result of omicron and the suspension of elective surgery is that waiting lists have all been pushed back, the NHS trusts have all gone backwards in their numbers of 80 week & 104 week waiters (which is the measurement).
The private sector fair much much but are not immune from delays….a lot goes into getting someone on the operating table….The combination of patient/staff/consultant all NOT getting covid is still a challenge
Thank you for the additional information, you obviously know more about it than me. I was simply responding to @Buster15 comments about his situation.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

I think she deserves her own thread. She is mental. Definitely not playing with a full deck.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No problems, happy to add to the discussion. @Buster15, have you thought about going private?
I have certainly looked into the cost of knee replacement surgery. Typical cost is in the region of £12 to £15k+. But to get both knees done would be unaffordable for me I am afraid.
I will have to wait in the hope that I will be lucky to get my right knee sorted before it becomes too painful to do anything.

owlo

Carrie crying sexism whilst her allies admit she's "clearly political" and "likes to discuss political issues with boris."

Not to be conflated with Bozo being a lying incompetent buffoon all by himself, but you reap what you sow.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Carrie crying sexism whilst her allies admit she's "clearly political" and "likes to discuss political issues with boris."

Not to be conflated with Bozo being a lying incompetent buffoon all by himself, but you reap what you sow.
Not that I could give a shiny one about Carrie and her "brutal briefing campaign" but it's clearly true that there's either an agenda against her because they don't like her politics or there's sexism at play. Do you honestly think there's been one PM's partner who never talked about politics with the PM and offered their opinion / made a request? Maybe if you go back to the 19th century or beyond?

I think if she was petitioning for PPE contracts for her company or a cut to Universal Credit they wouldn't have any issue with her, they just see her as caring about things they hate like the environment and puppies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not that I could give a shiny one about Carrie and her "brutal briefing campaign" but it's clearly true that there's either an agenda against her because they don't like her politics or there's sexism at play. Do you honestly think there's been one PM's partner who never talked about politics with the PM and offered their opinion / made a request? Maybe if you go back to the 19th century or beyond?

I think if she was petitioning for PPE contracts for her company or a cut to Universal Credit they wouldn't have any issue with her, they just see her as caring about things they hate like the environment and puppies.
The fact she has had her own career in politics for the last decade probably plays a part too. She’s got her own network of lobbyist mates.

TwoSheds

The fact she has had her own career in politics for the last decade probably plays a part too. She’s got her own network of lobbyist mates.
Well that'll do it then. It's not sexism it's just that they don't like her politics. She presumably knows that but thinks, like Dorries and others recently, that sexism will play better with the crowd.

owlo

Yea, I think it's the fact she's been an activist/lobbyist for the past decade. This is what she does, applies political pressure.

Going back the last 20 years or so, the wives have been independent women with their own successful careers. I'm sure they have talked about it, but they had their own life.

Carrie has parachuted into downing street with a prime minister 25 years older than her, and done nothing but make it her playground. Had a man done the same, the Mail etc would be telling him to go out and get a fecking job. Which would be short sighted of course, because this is her job, and she's in the perfect place to influence policy.

owlo

Well that'll do it then. It's not sexism it's just that they don't like her politics. She presumably knows that but thinks, like Dorries and others recently, that sexism will play better with the crowd.
There's no doubt an undercurrent of sexism at play too, but it's not the primary cause of attack for most of them.

The whole lot of them are fecking corrupt. Barclay as Chief of Staff being the latest. Dorries (and Kwarteng) are just fecking sycophant idiots though.

TwoSheds

Yea, I think it's the fact she's been an activist/lobbyist for the past decade. This is what she does, applies political pressure.

Going back the last 20 years or so, the wives have been independent women with their own successful careers. I'm sure they have talked about it, but they had their own life.

Carrie has parachuted into downing street with a prime minister 25 years older than her, and done nothing but make it her playground. Had a man done the same, the Mail etc would be telling him to go out and get a fecking job. Which would be short sighted of course, because this is her job, and she's in the perfect place to influence policy.
Cummings et al weren't much different really, albeit they were paid for their twattery. And not in wallpaper.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I mean, either she is outside of it all and has nothing to do with it but attends all the parties. Or she has a seat at the table, glass of prosecco, and attends all the work events. Which is it?

owlo

Cummings et al weren't much different really, albeit they were paid for their twattery. And not in wallpaper.
Only actual accountability, and political advisors as opposed to activists. Not much difference really.

TwoSheds

Only actual accountability, and political advisors as opposed to activists. Not much difference really.
Accountability? Like having to do a press conference when he repeatedly broke the law? None of them are accountable. Priti Patel conspired with foreign powers and is now the Home Secretary for example.

owlo

Accountability? Like having to do a press conference when he repeatedly broke the law? None of them are accountable. Priti Patel conspired with foreign powers and is now the Home Secretary for example.
Well, in theory at least. Our democracy is broken and our laws are shit, but that's not the fault of cummings.

No doubt at all he's more accountable then Carrie though.

Classical Mechanic

Most of it comes from Cummings. He says that she has more influence over Boris than anyone. He claims she's obsessed with the criticism and is controlling him based on that. It seems he blames her for him losing his job.

TwoSheds

Well, in theory at least. Our democracy is broken and our laws are shit, but that's not the fault of cummings.

No doubt at all he's more accountable then Carrie though.
I mean it absolutely is the fault of Cummings. Cameron started it and Vote Leave finished it.

TwoSheds

Most of it comes from Cummings. He says that she has more influence over Boris than anyone. He claims she's obsessed with the criticism and is controlling him based on that. It seems he blames her for him losing his job.
So she's not all bad then.

Classical Mechanic

So she's not all bad then.
Perhaps not. She's more liberal than most conservatives anyway. This is what Cummings said

“I think she thought once the majority was won, she should take over as the main influence on him with her people in key roles below,”

“While it’s true that I think Carrie has been a dreadful influence, and it was incredibly foolish of her to start a briefing war with me and others, it’s also only fair to point out that he lies to her all the time about stuff and she’s often operating on duff information herself. This is obviously an incredibly toxic combination.

“When he goes upstairs to the flat and the Whatsapp messages pour downstairs, nobody really knows what is the PM and what is her, or why.”

He also said that Boris used to blame him for stuff he'd done to avoid getting a bollocking from her!

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Perhaps not. She's more liberal than most conservatives anyway. This is what Cummings said

“I think she thought once the majority was won, she should take over as the main influence on him with her people in key roles below,”

“While it’s true that I think Carrie has been a dreadful influence, and it was incredibly foolish of her to start a briefing war with me and others, it’s also only fair to point out that he lies to her all the time about stuff and she’s often operating on duff information herself. This is obviously an incredibly toxic combination.

“When he goes upstairs to the flat and the Whatsapp messages pour downstairs, nobody really knows what is the PM and what is her, or why.”

He also said that Boris used to blame him for stuff he'd done to avoid getting a bollocking from her!
Do you reckon he'll blame Cummings when he gets caught balls deep in Nadine Dorries?