Westminster Politics

owlo

I mean it absolutely is the fault of Cummings. Cameron started it and Vote Leave finished it.
Absolutely not. It's the fault of adversarial politics and constituency/ward mapping as a form of democracy.

Been meaning to start a thread on it, but I'm lazy.

Tldr argument: Democracy is fine, but adversarial politics where only a few parties have air pushes mainstream parties to the fringes in order to get voteshare they wouldnt need in a different system. This in turn produces abominations like Patel, sycophants like Dorries, and a top down structure and is inconducive to good.

Advisors like Cummings, Vote leave, Brexit, Cameron, are all symptoms.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Absolutely not. It's the fault of adversarial politics and constituency/ward mapping as a form of democracy.

Been meaning to start a thread on it, but I'm lazy.

Tldr argument: Democracy is fine, but adversarial politics where only a few parties have air pushes mainstream parties to the fringes in order to get voteshare they wouldnt need in a different system. This in turn produces abominations like Patel, sycophants like Dorries, and a top down structure and is inconducive to good.

Advisors like Cummings, Vote leave, Brexit, Cameron, are all symptoms.
Nobody forced Cummings to run rough shod over the system we have. "If it wasn't me it would be someone else" is not an excuse for being a malignant polyp on the anus of humanity.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
So after Johnson’s Saville comment Starmer is now being mobbed in the streets. Fecking hell what does a man have to do before we say he’s unfit for the highest office.

hp88

Feel for the Met Police having to deal with these nutters, sure that’s Corbyn brother in the background as well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We've already seen how these things can end, and yet we still have politicians spreading bullshit and making angry people start targeting public figures. Do we really need something tragic to happen again before someone says "we need to fix this" or will it just me more of the same?!

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
They absolutely would've shouted all that without Johnson mentioning it in parliament, because they're the people he got it from.

Not defending Johnson, obviously, and his comment will certainly have led many people down the path that leads to becoming one of the people in that video.

Dobba

They absolutely would've shouted all that without Johnson mentioning it in parliament, because they're the people he got it from.

Not defending Johnson, obviously, and his comment will certainly have led many people down the path that leads to becoming one of the people in that video.
He got it from sun's favourite website.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Nobody forced Cummings to run rough shod over the system we have. "If it wasn't me it would be someone else" is not an excuse for being a malignant polyp on the anus of humanity.
I’m absolutely here for the red dwarf quotes :drool:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

I haven’t seen Starmer hounded by morons shouting about Saville before? They’re doing it because the PM is a liar and knew exactly what he was doing. We become more like the US every day.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I haven’t seen Starmer hounded by morons shouting about Saville before? They’re doing it because the PM is a liar and knew exactly what he was doing. We become more like the US every day.

It’s all utterly outrageous, of course… but it’s much harder to get as worked up about it as you should be when you’ve been acutely aware that’s it’s been happening with impunity since Miliband, and abated and encouraged with avengeance all throughout the Corbyn era… and that a lot of the people most apoplectic about it now, didn’t give a flying shit about it then. Or that the current Labour hierarchy actively courted the same media outlets that published far right conspiracies and hit jobs about their own members and MPs, in the naive assumption that they were far too smart and sensible and suitably fitted tie wearing to ever become victims of it.

The baseless Saville stuff was being flagged by left wingers as a potential future smear campaign from the moment Starmer was elected leader…and again when he started writing op eds in the Sun & Mail, albeit as a smug finger wagging warning about aligning himself with the obviously face eating Leopards, but which nevertheless has been proven absolutely correct… so it’s more infuriating than enraging to see so many “sensibles“ work themselves into arrogant outrage at the utterly inevitable face buffet they’ve done nothing but tacitly, or even sometimes outright actively encourage.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Guido stalked, or at least, used to stalk, this forum. I made a comment about knowing former MP Jared O'Mara and what a scumbag he is and they were PM'ing me for more information.
Wonder who the rat in this thread might be :lol:

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
It’s all utterly outrageous, of course… but it’s much harder to get as worked up about it as you should be when you’ve been acutely aware that’s it’s been happening with impunity since Miliband, and abated and encouraged with avengeance all throughout the Corbyn era… and that a lot of the people most apoplectic about it now, didn’t give a flying shit about it then. Or that the current Labour hierarchy actively courted the same media outlets that published far right conspiracies and hit jobs about their own members and MPs, in the naive assumption that they were far too smart and sensible and suitably fitted tie wearing to ever become victims of it.

The baseless Saville stuff was being flagged by left wingers as a potential future smear campaign from the moment Starmer was elected leader…and again when he started writing op eds in the Sun & Mail, albeit as a smug finger wagging warning about aligning himself with the obviously face eating Leopards, but which nevertheless has been proven absolutely correct… so it’s more infuriating than enraging to see so many “sensibles“ work themselves into arrogant outrage at the utterly inevitable face buffet they’ve done nothing but tacitly, or even sometimes outright actively encourage.
I knew it was the centrist's fault all along. And now they're apoplectic. Bastards.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Absolutely disgraceful scenes yesterday. Someone nailed it when they said that it’s becoming more like the US. Not helped by Tories copying trump tactics. Boris needs to say that this is not acceptable or one day it will go very wrong for someone. It’s not a maybe, it doesn’t take much of a spark to turn a protest nasty.

on another note I thought it was illegal to protest now?

last point, which Cafites were there? Bound to have been at least 1 of you

owlo

Absolutely disgraceful scenes yesterday. Someone nailed it when they said that it’s becoming more like the US. Not helped by Tories copying trump tactics. Boris needs to say that this is not acceptable or one day it will go very wrong for someone. It’s not a maybe, it doesn’t take much of a spark to turn a protest nasty.

Boris says he wont apologise as: "He's got other stuff to get on with today." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60297998

I reckon @Dobba was there. Perhaps @Sweet Square too. It's obviously an Antifa plot.

FireballXL5

It's amazing the mileage you get out of a dog whistle these days. Actually. it isn't. Depressing times.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is just following the Trump doctrine of just ignoring stuff that would normally cause a resignation and not showing any remorse or care at all. The thing is, he can probably just keep doing this and eventually the story will move on unless something major happens.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Irony of ironies.
Our PM describing those imbeciles actions as disgraceful behaviour.
Yet another case of the pot calling the kettle blxxk.
It is you Boris who is a disgrace.
The mob are just morons.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just me who still thinks the Tories would win if a snap election was randomly called tomorrow. Shows the depressing state of public consciousness if that happened.

Would be amazed if Johnson is still PM by end of the year anyway, even he can't ride all this out and there's probably more sensitive stuff Cummings will be leaking to the press in due course.

owlo

Irony of ironies.
Our PM describing those imbeciles actions as disgraceful behaviour.
Yet another case of the pot calling the kettle blxxk.
It is you Boris who is a disgrace.
The mob are just morons.
Do you remember when Priti Patel condemned the racist abuse of the black players after the world cup?

It's the whole lot of them, assholes.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Depressing to finally get even more confirmation that we have a Prime Minister who is happy to be the Pied Paper to Tommy Robinson's lot. He's playing with fire.

Fingeredmouse

Only if it's a protest the Government decides that they want to classify as illegal.