Westminster Politics

MUW4Eva

Lovely. Enjoy your 2 headed fish. 2 for the price of 1!
Agree. Although I will be surprised if Starmer gets a fine as it mean he really would have to resign.

:lol:

Tbf Labour did the same with Boris party gate stuff or rishi sunak eating some birthday cake. There was a million other important things they could have focused on. And we all laughed at the right wing press for saying we should be instead be talking about more important things like the war in Ukraine.
[/QUOTE]

Errr the point there was both lied at the dispatch box, both broke the ministerial code, Starmer has done neither.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Agree. Although I will be surprised if Starmer gets a fine as it mean he really would have to resign.

Tbf Labour did the same with Boris party gate stuff or rishi sunak eating some birthday cake. There was a million other important things they could have focused on. And we all laughed at the right wing press for saying we should be instead be talking about more important things like the war in Ukraine.
And Rayner was there too, so I suspect she goes.

Leaving a choice - either the NEC appoints a new Leader, or we have another leadership contest.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Also, here is the current state of inequality in the UK:

Should au pairs be used in this way? it seems deceitful to do so. I've heard about some au pairs having a really bad experience because they get treated like indentured servants.

Sweet Square

And Rayner was there too, so I suspect she goes.

Leaving a choice - either the NEC appoints a new Leader, or we have another leadership contest.
Yeah totally forgot about that. She would have to go as well.

Honestly think the plan is to go all in on this. Labour hope the police blink first and don't give Starmer a fine.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I honestly think he has no other option.

Interesting if Rayner has to do the same.

If so, we need either a Leader appointed by the NEC or a three month (at least) leadership campaign.
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/labour-party-leadership-contests

I think the NEC could call an emergency conference and make the process quicker (though how long it would take them to decide to do that is anybody guess) and I wouldn't put it past the conservatives to roll the dice on a snap election if labour are without a leader or deputy

could the NEC appoint Burnham? im not sure of the rules here as he isnt an MP

If both the party leader and deputy leader become permanently unavailable, or the post of deputy leader is vacant, the NEC will conduct a postal ballot of Labour Party membership to select a new leader. In the interim period, the NEC may appoint a temporary leader in consultation with the shadow cabinet.
Presumably candidates still have to secure 20% of MP's first or not?

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Frosty

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/labour-party-leadership-contests

I think the NEC could call an emergency conference and make the process quicker (though how long it would take them to decide to do that is anybody guess) and I wouldn't put it past the conservatives to roll the dice on a snap election if labour are without a leader or deputy

could the NEC appoint Burnham? im not sure of the rules here as he isnt an MP
So the constitution doesn't specifically say that the Leader or Deputy have to be an MP, but the Leader is in charge of the PLP and has various parliamentary duties, so I think it is implied. You cannot do the job without having a Commons seat.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Since the right have a majority on the NEC, if a Leader needs appointing I suspect it will be either Cooper or Streeting.
believe they can only appoint a temp leader?

If both the party leader and deputy leader become permanently unavailable, or the post of deputy leader is vacant, the NEC will conduct a postal ballot of Labour Party membership to select a new leader. In the interim period, the NEC may appoint a temporary leader in consultation with the shadow cabinet.

Personally I hope it happens so I can get a badge

Frosty

Starmer: 'People were entitled to expect that politicians would follow the rules'
Sir Keir Starmer is making a statement in relation to the police investigation into whether he broke lockdown rules.
He began his address by referencing the difficulties faced by Britons during the pandemic, saying: "This was a collective sacrifice, people were entitled to expect that politicians would follow the same rules as everyone else."
Sir Keir explained how his mother-in-law died suddenly before the lockdown, adding: "My wife and I were unable to provide her father with the support we wanted to afterwards because we followed the rules."

Frosty

Keir Starmer says the British people have made heart-wrenchin sacrifices during Covid.

People were entitled to expect that politicians would follow the same rules as everyone else, he says.

He says everyone found the rules frustating. He did too. He had to isolate six times.

The idea that he would then casually break those rules is wrong - and frankly I don’t believe those accusing me believe it themselves.
They are just feeding cynicism, he says.

But he says he believes in honour.

Politicians who feed cynicism are underming democracy and our politics.

Frosty

Starmer goes on:

I simply had something to eat while working late in the evening, as any politician would do days before an election, but if the police decide to issue me with a fixed penalty notice, I would, of course, do the right thing and step down.

This matters. It matters because the British public deserve politicians who think the rules apply to them.

They deserve politicians who hold themselves to the highest standards.

And they deserve politicians who put the country first rather than themselves.

They will always get that from me.

Sweet Square

Video of his speech here -

His speech is fecking crazy. There is no way he is getting a fine but still it's very funny.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Imagining Johnson pulling strings behind the scenes trying to actually save Starmer, therefore potentially saving himself.

Frosty

Video of his speech here -

His speech is fecking crazy. There is no way he is getting a fine but still it's very funny.
Genuine queston here, because I don't know the answer - if this were Corbyn in the same position, how do you think he should or would have responded? He was elected because members liked his principles (not just his policy), but I could never see him offering to resign after a right-wing campaign (Lord knows he didn't when faced with all the other campaigns!)

Oldyella

No wonder tories tried to play this down apparently yesterday. This feels like a check mate. If found guilty he walks and shows up Johnson, if innocent he still made the offer and shows up Johnson.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
if guilty and he does walk, thats in a way a boost for labour, they can hammer the "see, we ARE different and follow the rules" message.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
As ridiculous as it would be, it would admittedly be very funny if Starmer somehow managed to sensible himself to death.

I don’t think it would particularly hurt Labour either, as he probably isn’t going to win an election, and it might give them a genuine impression of integrity for whomever next to work off….

Though all of this of course depends on whether we have any hope of returning to quote unquote ‘normal’ politics, which is debatable. It’s just as likely Johnson rides this out like he always does and Labour continues to be wallet inspected by the right wing press.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yes, that's right. But an important decision none the less given the prospect of a snap election. The NEC were planning to start the process for the next manifesto this Summer.
cooper or milliband would be my guess

Think they wouldn't appoint somebody who was going to run for the job though as it would seem too much like playing favourites so those two would be th most logical choices having been leader / acting leader before

Nandy and Streeting would probably run - Id guess one of RLB or Burgon would give it a go

Sweet Square

Genuine queston here, because I don't know the answer - if this were Corbyn in the same position, how do you think he should or would have responded? He was elected because members liked his principles (not just his policy), but I could never see him offering to resign after a right-wing campaign (Lord knows he didn't when faced with all the other campaigns!)
I think Corbyn would have talked about policy rather than this respect schtick Starmer is trying, which might have helped a little bit. But really if Corbyn was still the labour leader, then partygate would have never happened. Instead the media would be talking about how Corbyn is a Putin spy, trying to install Islamic trans communism into Britain.

Partygate and really the more ''critical attacks'' on the tories have only happened due to labour under Starmer, no longer posing a threat to the British ruling class.

Smores

Wonder if the entryists who voted outside of Labour in the GE and returned post Starmer will be allowed to vote?

Would be a shame if they were hoist by their own petard.

Frosty

I think Corbyn would have talked about policy rather than this respect schtick Starmer is trying, which might have helped a little bit. But really if Corbyn was still the labour leader, then partygate would have never happened. Instead the media would be talking about how Corbyn is a Putin spy, trying to install Islamic trans communism into schools.

Partygate and really the more ''critical attacks'' on the tories have only happened due to labour under Starmer, no longer posing a threat to the British ruling class.
Thanks. I was speaking to a friend earlier who used to work for the Labour Party before 2015, and they are on the right of the party. They made the point that this whole escapade shows that Starmer is unfit to go into a General Election. If your response as Leader to a media campaign of a few days is to offer to resign, then how will you deal with 6-8 weeks of personal attacks and negative stories in an election?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If anyone left Labour over Starmer's leadership, I would advise you to re-join as soon as possible, to ensure that you can vote in the upcoming elections...
Wonder if the entryists who voted outside of Labour in the GE and returned post Starmer will be allowed to vote?

Would be a shame if they were hoist by their own petard.
i wonder if there will be anybody the next wave of entryists will have anybody to vote for

I believe any candidate needs to get 20% of MP'S first ... whats that about 40 MP's?

I can see Nandy and streeting getting more than that .... possibly cooper if she stood - not sure I can see anyboy else managing it

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If anyone left Labour over Starmer's leadership, I would advise you to re-join as soon as possible, to ensure that you can vote in the upcoming elections...
and hope that the elections are 6 months away?

and that somebody other than nandy, streeting, cooper, phillips, can get the 20% of MPS required to make the actual ballot?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-26...rship-rule-change-backed-by-majority-of-party

One proposal was to increase the support required for someone to run for leader, with Sir Keir saying candidates should have the backing of 20% of Labour MPs - up from the current 10%.

Another change will see six months of membership required before someone is allowed to vote on a leadership candidate - and the ability to join a “registered supporters” scheme, which allowed people to pay £25 for a vote in 2020 leadership election, has been dropped.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Leadership elections my arse. The Tories have shot themselves in the foot with this one, Starmer will come out stronger, not weaker.

Which he needs to in the bigger picture of course, but a little Tory help for now won't go amiss.

Simbo

Thanks. I was speaking to a friend earlier who used to work for the Labour Party before 2015, and they are on the right of the party. They made the point that this whole escapade shows that Starmer is unfit to go into a General Election. If your response as Leader to a media campaign of a few days is to offer to resign, then how will you deal with 6-8 weeks of personal attacks and negative stories in an election?
He's said he would resign if found to have broken the law... Its not something that even needs to be said in all honestly.

Sweet Square

No worries. Yeah I don't really get what Starmer is trying to do, as the investigation could take weeks so that's all the media will be talking about. Unless he knows he is the clear already and will use the next few weeks to put on this bizarre macho , I'm different to Boris but also I'm the LAW! Or he really thinks a fine will be the end result and is hoping to pressure the police to drop it. Both are really awful looks and don't give confidence for a future election.

Although tbh the labour party(No matter what political wing)tends to believe in the myth of a perfect candidate. Someone who can win over both reactionaries(Voters and media outlets)while keeping true to a vague sense of progressivism. If there is a another leadership election, I'm pretty Burham will win due to having an accent and liking the stone roses. But chances are with the first 2 years, everyone will have similar complaints as they now have with Starmer.

Frosty

and hope that the elections are 6 months away?

and that somebody other than nandy, streeting, cooper, phillips, can get the 20% of MPS required to make the actual ballot?

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-09-26...rship-rule-change-backed-by-majority-of-party
Yeah, sorry, I was more saying that out of the incredulity that we will be having (in my prediction) a fourth leadership election in seven years. I bet there are a lot of MPs and members who are relieved those changes to the ballot and nominations procedures got through Conference.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yeah, sorry, I was more saying that out of the incredulity that we will be having (in my prediction) a fourth leadership election in seven years. I bet there are a lot of MPs and members who are relieved those changes to the ballot and nominations procedures got through Conference.
yeah though a few who are probably less happy

I'm not convinced we will see another leadership election but I guess its going to be a little while till we know for sure one way or the other.