Westminster Politics

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
I've just seen a vid on twitter claiming raab destroyed her. Haven't seen PMQs yet so I'm not sure of the context.
To be fair Raab was 100% more effective than Boris. I don't think he destroyed her, I would call it a score draw.

FireballXL5

Isn't it terrible how they just arrest people in Russia for peacefully protesting.....oh, wait.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Isn't it terrible how they just arrest people in Russia for peacefully protesting.....oh, wait.
Imagine sending 24 cops to take a megaphone off a protester. These fecking people in charge need sending to Siberia.

Fluctuation0161

The thing is, as much as he's a twat, he does have a point. Labour should have been out supporting the strikers. But instead, they're buying into the whole Tory narrative that strikers are anti British extremists.
The Tories know how to push a weak spot in the opposition.

Sadly it is due to an own goal by Starmer.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The thing is, as much as he's a twat, he does have a point. Labour should have been out supporting the strikers. But instead, they're buying into the whole Tory narrative that strikers are anti British extremists.
He doesn't though? It's a heads you lose, tails I win wording.

The options he presents are either that she went to the picket line, to support the 'comrades' and not stand up for the British public or that she goes to an event where she listens to opera and drinks champagne, which as a working class woman, she's not allowed to.

She'd be better off knowing her place, stuck somewhere in the north and eating pie and mash with a side of gravy.

Sweet Square

Raab did Rayner a favour here tbh. As in any normal reality a MP of the party founded by unions, spending her time getting pissed at posh events instead of supporting striking workers would at least make for some bad headlines.

Instead people are defending Rayner and her working class income of £84,000 a year.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Rayner is fierce, love seeing her unleash both barrels at PMQ's. The full exchange is really impressive.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well I have never seen anything that appears to makes Labour look against the strikers. Far from it.
However, I can understand Starmer wanting to make the RMT dispute about the government and not Labour.

Drainy

Just saw that Good Law Project working with Adam Wagner to JR the Met over their handling of Partygate.

Looks like they are instructing Jamie Potter from Bindmans, who I hear will be setting up a firm for GLP to keep holding the government to account.

Superden

Politicians, mistresses, dodgy dealings and honours and blowjobs in govt offices, you'd think the daily mail would have their entire paper dedicated to it..but not a sniff.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The amount of sleaze in this Government is truly remarkable.

All stems from having a lying crook conman as PM.
"Sorry, I was a bit pissed"

Seriously, they just know this is a big jolly and a free ride. My idea for a net wealth tracker should be employed. If your net wealth grows each year while you're an MP above a certain percentage, you're sacked.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Raab did Rayner a favour here tbh. As in any normal reality a MP of the party founded by unions, spending her time getting pissed at posh events instead of supporting striking workers would at least make for some bad headlines.

Instead people are defending Rayner and her working class income of £84,000 a year.
I like Raynor but always thought, at what point do you stop being "working class" when earning £84k - year two? Year four? Etc.

TwoSheds

The amount of sleaze in this Government is truly remarkable.

All stems from having a lying crook conman as PM.
It doesn't help but that's not where the font of Tory corruption is found. It entirely permeates the party and ultimately the way they conduct themselves comes from their donors. There are rarely consequences unless they go so far as to be utterly obscene. As a consequence most of them are swimming out all the way to that line in the cesspool.

Dan_F

I like Raynor but always thought, at what point do you stop being "working class" when earning £84k - year two? Year four? Etc.
If you keep your principles of having a working class background and trying to support those people that still are, it really doesn’t matter.

TwoSheds

If you keep your principles of having a working class background and trying to support those people that still are, it really doesn’t matter.
This. I'm not sure she has mind but that's not the point. Assuming something about someone because of what they earn is daft. It might be a suspicion perhaps, but it's not even close to proof.

MUW4Eva

How is the opera a posh event?? Plus where is the evidence that she was "getting pissed"??
Was she drunk?? Again where is the evidence??

Why jump to such conclusions? This is coming across as a sexist post I do have to say.

Sweet Square

A lot of people in Britian think class is cultural or
something you get from your parents.

Which leads to things like last week a baroness clamming to be working class or in Rayer case a MP on over £80,000 a year who can’t be arsed to join striking workers. It’s all very stupid and makes no sense.
This is coming across as a sexist post I do have to say.

Last edited:

Superden

the jokes on us isnt it? millions having their quality of life diminshed, tens of thousands of avoidable deaths, all the while a bunch of toffs play politics for fun and fill up their trust funds. in the meantime millions of those on the receiving aid doff their caps lest the commies take over, and god forbid challenge the status quo. Cons +4 next.

Cloudface

Looking good, but the polls are all over the place. I think we are looking at a eight to nine point Labour lead at the minute taking them all into account.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
How is the opera a posh event?? Plus where is the evidence that she was "getting pissed"??
Was she drunk?? Again where is the evidence??

Why jump to such conclusions? This is coming across as a sexist post I do have to say.
From what I know of @Sweet Square they'd be saying that whether it were a male or female MP. It's somewhat hypocritical for a Labour MP to be attending events commonly perceived as upper-class instead of supporting workers on a picket line.

Balljy

A lot of people in Britian think class is cultural or
something you get from your parents.

Which leads to things like last week a baroness clamming to be working class or in Rayer case a MP on over £80,000 a year who can’t be arsed to join striking workers. It’s all very stupid and makes no sense.
I'd say you can have working class roots and have a lot of money now, but still understand what it's like to grow up without money. Rashford obviously has seen what it can be like and is actively trying to help based on that experience but you couldn't consider either him or his family working class now.

That's not to say they can call themselves working class now, but we also shouldn't disregard that they might have some experience of it.

Maticmaker

Re: Tony Blair interview on Newsnight last night!

He wants to "rebuild the center of British Politics"

He says "Labour has to convince the electorate that they can govern" (apparently so that some Tory voters will switch to Lib Dems)

Labour cannot support the SNP because they both want something different, ( assume he means Labour has to get its finger out in Scotland)

He does support Starmer

Despite the past, you have to admit most politicians today cannot hold a candle to this man, his method of speaking, his facial expressions, his sideward glances when making a really important point, the 'mind set' that he knows best!

Superden

From what I know of @Sweet Square they'd be saying that whether it were a male or female MP. It's somewhat hypocritical for a Labour MP to be attending events commonly perceived as upper-class instead of supporting workers on a picket line.
im sorry but this is patronising nonsense. akin to saying Raynor should know her place.

Superden

Re: Tony Blair interview on Newsnight last night!

He wants to "rebuild the center of British Politics"

He says "Labour has to convince the electorate that they can govern" (apparently so that some Tory voters will switch to Lib Dems)

Labour cannot support the SNP because they both want something different, ( assume he means Labour has to get its finger out in Scotland)

He does support Starmer

Despite the past, you have to admit most politicians today cannot hold a candle to this man, his method of speaking, his facial expressions, his sideward glances when making a really important point, the 'mind set' that he knows best!
i cant stand the man, but its without doubt he would wipe the floor with this current govt whether at the dispatch box or on panel shows.