Westminster Politics

Drainy

One of those speeches that you listen to and you're glad someone else has done the hard work of gathering all the facts in one place:

For next time we have to listen to some Tory talk about why all the Ruanda stuff etc isn't just about racism and scapegoat demonising cruelty.
This is great

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I know that they pick the phone ins for these clips, but yesterday I watched about a dozen james o'brien clips on youtube, and it's amazing the number of people who call in, absolutely convinced they master a subject, to just fall apart when asked something really basic about it. I get being ignorant, but why showcase it on national radio for everyone to see? The brexit calls are incredible, o'brien always asks for a positive of brexit and the brexiter callers can't give one.

Drainy

I know that they pick the phone ins for these clips, but yesterday I watched about a dozen james o'brien clips on youtube, and it's amazing the number of people who call in, absolutely convinced they master a subject, to just fall apart when asked something really basic about it. I get being ignorant, but why showcase it on national radio for everyone to see? The brexit calls are incredible, o'brien always asks for a positive of brexit and the brexiter callers can't give one.
I do enjoy listening to James O'brien on a morning working from home, but my favourite presenter for handling numpties is Nick Abbot. The collection of calls on YouTube is somewhat of a masterpiece

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I mean I for one applaud their ability to consistently make it rain more in Scotland

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1009810/regional-annual-rainfall-uk/#:~:text=UK: regional annual rainfall 2011-2021&text=Rainfall in Scotland peaked at,1,341.3 and 1,460.7 millimeters, respectively.

that said given that they let 38% of it leak away probably a good job they have a lot more to start with

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15340682.third-scottish-water-leaks-reaches-tap/

According to the latest report from publicly-owned Scottish Water 500 million litres a day disappears– or just over 38 per cent of the 1.3 billion litres of water the company provides.
and for comparison if you put scotland as a stand-alone country they would be I think the third worst in Europe

and I guess the rest of the Uk would probably fall roughly in line with france?

but yeah no hosepipe ban like most of the rest of the UK

Last edited:

RedChip

But surely it matters more to control leaks when you have less coming in, i.e. down South? Another way of putting it, their job isn’t to control leaks; rather it is to supply water sustainably. Makes no sense to spend billions on leaks when you don’t need to.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I mean I for one applaud their ability to consistently make it rain more in Scotland

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1009810/regional-annual-rainfall-uk/#:~:text=UK: regional annual rainfall 2011-2021&text=Rainfall in Scotland peaked at,1,341.3 and 1,460.7 millimeters, respectively.

that said given that they let 38% of it leak away probably a good job they have a lot more to start with

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15340682.third-scottish-water-leaks-reaches-tap/

and for comparison if you put scotland as a stand-alone country they would be I think the third worst in Europe

In the last 16 years Scottish water has reduced leakage by almost 60%, sounds like excellent progress to me and seems to be outperforming the private companies by quite a margin.

Fluctuation0161

• The report – "The Privatised Water Industry in the UK: An ATM for Investors" – shows that the 40% real increase in English water bills since privatisation in 1991 has not been due to higher investment, as claimed by OFWAT and the companies themselves, but is a result of ever higher interest payments on £47 billion of debt, accrued due to £50 billion paid in dividends to shareholders.
  • In Scotland, real bills are still the same as they were 17 years ago, whilst English bills have increased by over 16% in real terms over the same time period.
  • Publicly owned Scottish Water invests over one-third more on a per capita basis than the private English companies - £282 per household per year over the last 17 years, compared with only £210 per household per year in England - contradicting claims by the English companies and their regulator, OFWAT, that price rises in England have been due to high levels of investment.
  • Since 1991, the surplus money available to the English companies to pay dividends averaged £0.15 billion per year, but in every single year except 1995, the dividends actually paid to shareholders far averaging almost £2billion. The gap was bridged by borrowing year after year, building the £47billion debt mountain that exists today

https://www.gre.ac.uk/news/articles...er invests,regulator, OFWAT, that price rises

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Anyone watching this cnut sunak getting interviewed on BBC1.

Literally such a patronising, condescending ignorant twat that constantly speaks over people. Does he have no self awareness, especially after previous interviews, of how much of a cnut he comes across.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
She cited three examples as ways rights groups were, she said, abusing the current system: trying to prevent deportations of overseas offenders; allowing human rights considerations in court cases such as one in which four people were acquitted of criminal damage for toppling a statue of the slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol; and the approach to trans rights in schools.

---

Black Lives Matter and the trans community, destroying the UK.

TheGame

Flying high

"Number 10 has denied that any drinking games were played during this meeting, and that any reports of damage are wildly exaggerated"

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Did anyone expect anything different. I can imagine how it went:
Boris:
Well good morning.
We are here today not to come up with anything, but to give the plebs the impression that we are trying to do something for them.

Ok. Now we have got the business of the day over, lets all do what we have been doing all along.
Let's all get pissed up and play a few games.

And remember. Mums the word. No talking to the press or Dominic Cummings eh.....

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
In the last 16 years Scottish water has reduced leakage by almost 60%, sounds like excellent progress to me and seems to be outperforming the private companies by quite a margin.
  • The report – "The Privatised Water Industry in the UK: An ATM for Investors" – shows that the 40% real increase in English water bills since privatisation in 1991 has not been due to higher investment, as claimed by OFWAT and the companies themselves, but is a result of ever higher interest payments on £47 billion of debt, accrued due to £50 billion paid in dividends to shareholders.
  • In Scotland, real bills are still the same as they were 17 years ago, whilst English bills have increased by over 16% in real terms over the same time period.
  • Publicly owned Scottish Water invests over one-third more on a per capita basis than the private English companies - £282 per household per year over the last 17 years, compared with only £210 per household per year in England - contradicting claims by the English companies and their regulator, OFWAT, that price rises in England have been due to high levels of investment.
  • Since 1991, the surplus money available to the English companies to pay dividends averaged £0.15 billion per year, but in every single year except 1995, the dividends actually paid to shareholders far averaging almost £2billion. The gap was bridged by borrowing year after year, building the £47billion debt mountain that exists today

https://www.gre.ac.uk/news/articles/public-relations/2018/privatised-water-failure#:~:text=Publicly owned Scottish Water invests,regulator, OFWAT, that price rises
@sun_tzu can you reply to these points? I'm not well versed in this area and would like to know more

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
So, I've been reading during the day and only watching the TV when it gets dark to minimise my electricity usage. They wanted to charge me £145 a month for my gas/leccy based on what I used last year but I was using a lot less due to my new habits, so I changed the direct debit to £88 because it was the minimum they allowed me to. I've used an average of £66 since March and am well under their 'estimate' of £126 but now they won't let me reduce the direct debit again and it's gone up to £101.

I'm nothing compared to the people I've seen on social media, though, some of whom have been getting bills of TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS for their annual usage, based on their usage last year and these spiralling (upwards) price caps. And the fact that they are limiting what you can change your direct debits to, even if you take steps to reduce your usage, is going to lead either to mass payment defaulting or civil unrest.
I don’t see how you can be classed as having defaulted on a payment if you are in the black, so to speak. If you didn’t pay your DD one month and yet had still paid for more than you had used I don’t quite see how they’d be able to threaten to call the debt collectors in.