Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Starmer will pounce on this and insist he’s willing to bail out all private utilities as long as they pinky promise to invest in something other than their shareholders.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Now ask them whether they would be happy to have a huge increase in their taxes to pay for taking over all of those private companies.
I already know what the answer is going to be.
It is a non starter.

Flying high

Now ask them whether they would be happy to have a huge increase in their taxes to pay for taking over all of those private companies.
I already know what the answer is going to be.
It is a non starter.
How much do you think it would cost?

How much would we save going forward?

I don't know the answer to those questions. But it seems pretty clear from what I have read, is that we've wasted many billions over the last 4 decades. The longer we wait to rectify Thatcher's mistakes, the more it will cost us all.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How much do you think it would cost?

How much would we save going forward?

I don't know the answer to those questions. But it seems pretty clear from what I have read, is that we've wasted many billions over the last 4 decades. The longer we wait to rectify Thatcher's mistakes, the more it will cost us all.
Like you, I have no real idea.
But one thing is pretty certain.
It would be significantly high and is not going to happen any time soon.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Timing a coincidence of course.

Ministers planning to cut civil servant redundancy pay at same time as 91,000 jobs

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rvant-redundancy-pay-at-same-time-as-91k-jobs
The current redundancy terms were negotiated in 2010 under former Tory minister Francis Maude. The proposal is for departing staff to get three weeks of pay for every year of service, down from the current month of pay. There would be a cap of 18 months of salary for voluntary redundancy and nine months for compulsory, down from the current 21 months and 12 months.

There would also be a minimum salary of £26,000 when calculating the redundancy payouts and an upper limit of £149,829.
The proposals are still massively above legal requirements though - perhaps give members a vote accept the new terms or get what your legally entited to and not penny more - its tax payer money afterall so should we really be paying massively above legal requirements?

for comparison

Statutory redundancy pay
You’ll normally be entitled to statutory redundancy pay if you’re an employee and you’ve been working for your current employer for 2 years or more.
You’ll get:
  • half a week’s pay for each full year you were under 22
  • one week’s pay for each full year you were 22 or older, but under 41
  • one and half week’s pay for each full year you were 41 or older
Length of service is capped at 20 years.
Your weekly pay is the average you earned per week over the 12 weeks before the day you got your redundancy notice.
If you were paid less than usual because you were ‘on furlough’ because of coronavirus, your statutory redundancy pay is based on what you would have earned normally.
If you were made redundant on or after 6 April 2022, your weekly pay is capped at £571 and the maximum statutory redundancy pay you can get is £17,130. If you were made redundant before 6 April 2022, these amounts will be lower.
https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
The proposals are still massively above legal requirements though - perhaps give members a vote accept the new terms or get what your legally entited to and not penny more - its tax payer money afterall so should we really be paying massively above legal requirements?
Yes

Simbo

A lot of people asking why Boris taking holidays now while he's still PM when he'll be free to do what he wants come September...

Because no doubt he has plans come September, probably in a media role. Tories will need him bullshitting loudly and often from the sidelines to give them a chance next GE. He'll likely be doing it with a view of returning to power.

MoskvaRed

A lot of people asking why Boris taking holidays now while he's still PM when he'll be free to do what he wants come September...

Because no doubt he has plans come September, probably in a media role. Tories will need him bullshitting loudly and often from the sidelines to give them a chance next GE. He'll likely be doing it with a view of returning to power.
Staying on also enables him to hand out government contracts to fund his wedding and holiday costs.

Fluctuation0161

for comparison

https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay
Always looking out for the vulnerable eh @sun_tzu

Shouldn't we aim to treat employees better than the legal minimum?

Do you think it is fair for employees to have a policy in place for 12 years only for it to be changed months before it is actually going to be applied?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Always looking out for the vulnerable eh @sun_tzu

Shouldn't we aim to treat employees better than the legal minimum?

Do you think it is fair for employees to have a policy in place for 12 years only for it to be changed months before it is actually going to be applied?
Also over those 12 years civil servants have been suffering from 1% annual pay rises, well below inflation at the best of times, and an erosion of their pensions and other in work benefits. With the reason given that it was all done for the common good.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante

Care homes decimated, 200k dead, herd immunity, millions facing the worst cost of living crisis in living memory, NHS understaffed, underfunded and at breaking point, teachers having to feed hungry schoolkids out of their own pockets while private schools funding goes up.

Got to give credit where credit is due: he got the big culls right.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Also over those 12 years civil servants have been suffering from 1% annual pay rises, well below inflation at the best of times, and an erosion of their pensions and other in work benefits. With the reason given that it was all done for the common good.
you mean the gold plated final salary pensions... boo fekin hoo

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That's weird, I can't seem to find that news on the BBC website. Maybe the editor is still asleep after plastering the Sunak gaffe across every headline page?
You’re such a Sunak fanboi