Westminster Politics

Hephaestus

Didn't Liz truss abstain... Is chasing your chief whip out of the building a good enough excuse

Would be glorious if they removed the whip because she didn't vote for herself in a confidence vote
Apparently she did vote but forgot to swipe her card so was initially down as not voting by the automated system. Still fecking inept, just very slightly less inept than not voting.

It just keeps going.

Classical Mechanic

Honestly this is turning out pretty well for the Conservatives. 2 more years to the GE and they can blame most of the mess on Truss and her incompetence.

Bring someone more technocratic and hope for inflation to ease off and people will remember the change from this bottom.
I'm not convinced on that. It looks like Rishi will be parachuted in at some time in the near future. Yes he's a lot more polished and competent than the loons that managed to capture 10 Downing Street recently but he's already very politically damaged by the numerous scandals and failings from his time in Number 11 under Boris. Add to that the massive reputational damage the Tory party has suffered recently; the feeling among the public that they keep foisting inadequate leaders on us undemocratically and the dire global and domestic economic headwinds we're facing - all that considered and I do not see the Conservatives holding an advantageous political position ahead of the next GE. They'll no doubt close the polls somewhat but I'm betting on a Labour majority of some sort at this point, worst case a Lab/Lib coalition (which might be best if the Libs demand electoral reform to prop up a government).

No I voted libs... now corbyns gone ill be voting Labour again in the next (hopefully soon) ge

Though I would hope we have some commitment to pr in the future and if its too early for rejoin at least a policy to have better relations with the eu

Would happily vote for a progressive alliance candidate if lab lib greens stood down for each other
I'm going to vote Lib Dem at the next election if Labour fail to run on a position of real electoral reform in the next GE. Of course living in Labour safe seat this action will be completely pointless, which is another strong argument for said reform.

MUW4Eva

The Torys are finished as a party, zero chance that they win the next election.
Their time as a governing party is well and truly over.
If they put Sunak the covincted criminal in charge, that will sink them even further, if that is even possible.

There is no unifying candidate, they are all terrible.

So not sure why anyone thinks it will get better for them, it won't.
They are done, finished, ended, call or use whichever term is best.

WPMUFC

I genuinely cannot believe she's survived the night. The government almost collapsed, they had no idea what they were voting for, and you had MPs physically threatened to enter the chamber. :wenger:

How on earth is she still there?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is there a rule about how many times you can change a PM before a GE has to be called? It doesn't seem right that you can have such a catastrophic government that is happy to rotate PMs and other staff willy-nilly.

MUW4Eva

Is there a rule about how many times you can change a PM before a GE has to be called? It doesn't seem right that you can have such a catastrophic government that is happy to rotate PMs and other staff willy-nilly.
Sadly there isn't a hard and firm rule.

So we shall have to put up with this farce for a while to come yet.

This "government" may be in office, but they have zero power or authority.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Sadly there isn't a hard and firm rule.

So we shall have to put up with this farce for a while to come yet.

This "government" may be kn office, but they have zero power or authority.
How rank. Labour need to push like feck for a GE if they get Truss out.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's simple, she feels she will never be accepted by the establishment unless she overcompensates and signals to them that she will do whatever they wish, including throwing people like her parents onto a plane bound for Rwanda, so she can stay at the table.

MUW4Eva

How rank. Labour need to push like feck for a GE if they get Truss out.
They can push and push all they want, however it is up to the Tories (or the party in power at any point in time) to say when a GE will happen, and since if they were to call one, they know that they would be wiped out, well it isn't in their best interest to do so...

So they most likely will not agree to do so.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I genuinely cannot believe she's survived the night. The government almost collapsed, they had no idea what they were voting for, and you had MPs physically threatened to enter the chamber. :wenger:

How on earth is she still there?
Because the alternative is that they're finished.

MUW4Eva

It's simple, she feels she will never be accepted by the establishment unless she overcompensates and signals to them that she will do whatever they wish, including throwing people like her parents onto a plane bound for Rwanda, so she can stay at the table.
Money, power, and the ability to go to places that others can't, has a toxic effect on people.
Having people fawn all over you, means people will say and do whatever is necessary to keep that happening for as long as possible.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Probably.

I wonder if it could go a bit further back as well. Possibly she was ingrained with the message from her parents that they were 'the good immigrants' and the other ones were ruining it for them. Same for Patel.

Maybe its as straightforward as you say it is.

foolsgold

Imagine you had a time machine and you went back to 2005 when Tony Blair won his third election and telling people the story of the next 17 years of British politics. The GFC. That a 100/1 outsider Corbyn would lead the Labour Party, The people would vote for Brexit and the ramifications of it., Cameron, May, Johnson, Truss and whoever is PM by tea time. Toss in Covid and 200k dead for good measure.

The whole thing would sound impossible, you'd be laughed out of the room, but here we are.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i bet the urgent question is “who will go today?”

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
If the ramifications of a dead government weren't so serious, this situation would be hilarious.

A government who cannot lead a vote amongst themselves yet alone the finances of a country. Embarrassing.

MUW4Eva

If the ramifications of a dead government weren't so serious, this situation would be hilarious.

A government who cannot lead a vote amongst themselves yet alone the finances of a country. Embarrassing.
Yup, we have a government that can't govern, and a PM who isn't in charge, and no way to alter that, as they are the only ones who can put and end to this, but by putting an to it, they will be putting an end to themselves......

No one is winning at the moment, we are stuck in a paralysis period.

Drainy

We've had a zombie government for months while the energy crisis wasn't being fixed, Liz Truss came in, killed the economy and we've got a zombie government again while everything continues to go to shit with no hope of an election for 2 years.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yup, we have a government that can't govern, and a PM who isn't in charge, and no way to alter that, as they are the only ones who can put and end to this, but by putting an to it, they will be putting an end to themselves......

No one is winning at the moment, we are stuck in a paralysis period.
Indeed,

My big concern is this is the time whereby people are looking and demanding strong leadership, if all they see is chaos and a lack of control this will permeate to society.

At a time of hardship that is not going to be helpful.

MUW4Eva

He could but it would only galvanise the Tories and give them a win?
How would it galvanise the Tories??

They wouldn't suddenly go, "right, actually Lizz is actually a good leader, I back her fully"....would they??

Who knows anymore........

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I thought we weren't to comment on Liz Truss' personal preferences.(?)

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
He could but it would only galvanise the Tories and give them a win?
It's a lose-lose for the Tories, given how public the dissent is now. They would be seen to be propping up the most unpopular Government/PM in history if they vote the motion down.

MUW4Eva

Indeed,

My big concern is this is the time whereby people are looking and demanding strong leadership, if all they see is chaos and a lack of control this will permeate to society.

At a time of hardship that is not going to be helpful.
Yeah if no one is leading the country, then what happens if God forbid there is an horrific terrorist attack, or floods somewhere, would anyone listen to Lizz??

We need leaders, and leadership, but we have zilch, we have no one who is able to take charge, no matter who the Tories put as their "leader", they will have zero credibility.

Drainy

They wouldn't suddenly go, "right, actually Lizz is actually a good leader, I back her fully"....would they??

No, but they will say that they like the Tories more than Labour so will support them without any issue. Its an easy win, which they can then deal with internally afterwards if they don't have confidence.

The fracking motion was successful because it was both confidence and a highly detested policy and created a fracture and led to a shit show because people had things on the line. A pyrrhic victory for the government.

VoNC would be an easy thing to discipline, in my opinion. Everyone would get behind Truss publicly, give her a few more months and continue plotting. Maybe Labour would want her for longer?

MUW4Eva

No, but they will say that they like the Tories more than Labour so will support them without any issue. Its an easy win, which they can then deal with internally afterwards if they don't have confidence.

The fracking motion was successful because it was both confidence and a highly detested policy and created a fracture and led to a shit show because people had things on the line. A pyrrhic victory for the government.

VoNC would be an easy thing to discipline, in my opinion. Everyone would get behind Truss publicly, give her a few more months and continue plotting. Maybe Labour would want her for longer?
Do you honestly, truly think that after all of last night, and what has gone on before it, that the Tories would get behind and fully back Lizz??!!

Like really??

Nahhh, no chance of that, zero, zip, nada.

There is no way that she could get the party on her side.

Drainy

It's a lose-lose for the Tories, given how public the dissent is now. They would be seen to be propping up the most unpopular Government/PM in history if they vote the motion down.
There is literally no real cost for voting on behalf of the party in that situation.

Oh we look bad for supporting our newly elected leader publicly after being in post for 2 months against the opposition motion.. Give me a break.

Easy win for the Tories with minimal cost

FireballXL5

You have to hand it to the Tories, it's only taken them 12 years to bring the country to it's knees and make it an international laughing stock. Kudos.

Drainy

Do you honestly, truly think that after all of last night, and what has gone on before it, that the Tories would get behind and fully back Lizz??!!

Like really??

Nahhh, no chance of that, zero, zip, nada.

There is no way that she could get the party on her side.
A Labour VoNC is Tory vs Opposition. The tories will side with the tories.

Last night was Tory vs Labour, their constituents and their own mandate. That's why it was a shit show.

Fluctuation0161

Probably.

I wonder if it could go a bit further back as well. Possibly she was ingrained with the message from her parents that they were 'the good immigrants' and the other ones were ruining it for them. Same for Patel.

Maybe its as straightforward as you say it is.
The British Empire survived on divide and conquer. In order to do this some subjects from the colonised country benefited and were brainwashed into believing the greatness British Empire and all of its racist nuances.

DavelinaJolie

That Tory MP who ripped the cabinet to shreds in their TV interview still voted in line with the whip last night and is still a member of the government. Even the most bold of their MPs in words is still a gutless coward when it comes to taking a substantive stance through action. As he said himself suggested, this is about damage to the party, not about the country. They couldn't give less of a toss about doing the right thing by the general population.