Westminster Politics

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
I think you're getting me confused with someone else. I just said the information on the internet about Portugal's drug policy is misleading. Drugs are still illegal in Portugal and you will have serious consquences if you're caught with them.
Sorry pal. I was trying to read up from the other fellas post and seen he quoted you but must have picked it all up wrong.

Member 125398

Sorry pal. I was trying to read up from the other fellas post and seen he quoted you but must have picked it all up wrong.
No worries. For what it's worth, I think your impression of Lisbon is because, in part, Portugal wasn't a victim of the Thacher/Reagan alliance that erased the idea of society in the US/UK. People are generally engaged in their communities.
On Starmer, I agree with him that weed stinks but his constituant's life is being ruined by the fact that she doesn't live in a society where that could be easily and safely sorted with a dialogue with her neighbour.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Oh Nadine what have you done now.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Just saw a brexiteer MP blaming France on the chaos over letting people travel back to the UK for easter, if only there was a system that allowed easy travel between countries....

Irony is lost on these people, they will blame everyone but themselves, and that includes most of those who voted for it.

Yes, Labour will likely win the next election, but i don't think it will at all be at all that overwhelming like the polls said, i expect tories to overperform again, just like Bolsonaro overperformed in Brazil, like Trump overperformed in 2020.

There are a lot more mindless nationalists around than we like to believe, than we are comfortable with.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Just saw a brexiteer MP blaming France on the chaos over letting people travel back to the UK for easter, if only there was a system that allowed easy travel between countries....

Irony is lost on these people, they will blame everyone but themselves, and that includes most of those who voted for it.

Yes, Labour will likely win the next election, but i don't think it will at all be at all that overwhelming like the polls said, i expect tories to overperform again, just like Bolsonaro overperformed in Brazil, like Trump overperformed in 2020.

There are a lot more mindless nationalists around than we like to believe, than we are comfortable with.
The EU Entry/Exit system is now due to come into place in November and the ETIAS system around this time next year.

This will involve anyone entering the EU/Schengen to be entered into the EU database system - Biometrics - everyone (adult) photographed and fingerprinted - facial recognition and tracking people more easily who overstay their three month limit. Under the ETIAS system next year they will have to pay their 7 Euros per person for the visa application.

I can't wait for the outrage.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Braverman going off the charts

She’s the brown, female face of white supremacy. She’s the acceptable face for the absolute worst ideas Tufton/Koch came come up with.

Imagine if rather than her or Priti Patel, they had Dominic Raab or Grant Schapps trying to push these policies through and pushing this rhetoric.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That is genuinely outrageous that an Oyster for older voters is OK but not for those 18-30. Where's that @Maticmaker guy when you need him to explain how it's alright because young people don't need a vote anyway, they'll only waste it?

Maticmaker

That is genuinely outrageous that an Oyster for older voters is OK but not for those 18-30. Where's that @Maticmaker guy when you need him to explain how it's alright because young people don't need a vote anyway, they'll only waste it?
:lol: You saw through that one didn't you.... to be honest I have no idea about the difference in oyster card acceptability as proof of identity... I have to admit that does seem unreasonable, but its a hell of a long list and anyway there is the FREE Voting Authority Certificate available to those who have no other way of proving their identity, if they can be bothered to apply!

PS just been told its seen as part of their 'first time voter' apprenticeship... equivalent to the old fashioned being sent for a 'long stand' routine , that was regularly played on new apprentices

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Braverman going off the charts

Culture war at work, using sweeping headlines using zero knowledge or facts. The worst kind of Politician, someone who doesn't give a flying feck about anyone and riles up people using misinformation which have consequences.

The home office issued a report in 2020.

"A new Home Office report admits grooming gangs are not a ‘Muslim problem'"
"Research has found that most group based offenders are most commonly white"

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2020/dec...-admits-grooming-gangs-are-not-muslim-problem

TheGame

They all keep their fecking heads down and do the usual 'vote for Tory' when the election comes along.

Superden

Irony is theres lots of British Pakistani conservatives. Considering the home secretary thinks they are all scum, shows what utter stooges they are.

Fingeredmouse

:lol: You saw through that one didn't you.... to be honest I have no idea about the difference in oyster card acceptability as proof of identity... I have to admit that does seem unreasonable, but its a hell of a long list and anyway there is the FREE Voting Authority Certificate available to those who have no other way of proving their identity, if they can be bothered to apply!

PS just been told its seen as part of their 'first time voter' apprenticeship... equivalent to the old fashioned being sent for a 'long stand' routine , that was regularly played on new apprentices
You're continuing with your ridiculous 'can't be bothered' angle despite openly admitting that even such a conscientious voter such as yourself, someone who spends a huge amount of time waffling about politics on this forum, was unaware of this widely discussed at the time, variance on Oyster Card ID? Does this not trigger an epiphany?

Maticmaker

You're continuing with your ridiculous 'can't be bothered' angle despite openly admitting that even such a conscientious voter such as yourself, someone who spends a huge amount of time waffling about politics on this forum, was unaware of this widely discussed at the time, variance on Oyster Card ID? Does this not trigger an epiphany?
Your right, I can 'waffle' with the best of you... just saying I can't explain why that particular oyster card isn't included, is there perhaps some suspected 'scam' going on with these cards... can they be 'adjusted/forged' in some way...etc.? I just don't know sorry!
However, it still does not negate the fact that people should be able to prove who they are when voting, proving who you are is something increasingly everyone is expected to do in many areas of life, its becoming a fact of life.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Re: IDs. Isn't it because they're all government mandated ID determined by OAP status whereas other forms of ID are done through third-parties?

Asking for a friend.
No. The "young persons" IDs require proof of age and many are issued by the government.

And many of the older persons IDs are from 3rd parties.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Your right, I can 'waffle' with the best of you... just saying I can't explain why that particular oyster card isn't included, is there perhaps some suspected 'scam' going on with these cards... can they be 'adjusted/forged' in some way...etc.? I just don't know sorry!
However, it still does not negate the fact that people should be able to prove who they are when voting, proving who you are is something increasingly everyone is expected to do in many areas of life, its becoming a fact of life.
It is a political choice. Oyster cards (to take one example) re at much of a risk for forgery regardless of the age of the holder.