Westminster Politics

Sweet Square

surprise surprise!

Voter photo ID plan attacked as UK data shows no cases of impersonation

System’s opponents say it creates barrier to voting, with no proven instances of ‘personation’ at polling stations last year

Ministers have faced renewed accusations that the plan to impose mandatory photo ID for voting is a waste of time and resources after new statistics showed there was not a single proven case of in-person voter impersonation last year.

Meanwhile, other official data showed minimal take-up of free official voter documents before the first mass use of ID during local elections in England on 4 May, with applications for the documents closing in three weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ed-as-uk-data-shows-no-cases-of-impersonation

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Since Blair they've all been about as bad as each other, no one ever answers with anything other than a prepared answer. Sunak is certainly about as awkward as ive seen anyone trying to deliver the non-answer though - worse than Michael Howard. Truss was shite at it too, Boris was excellent because his comedy character let him say anything, Cameron was surprisingly good given he was made of cardboard, and his only notable personality trait being that he had relations with pigs.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
surprise surprise!

Voter photo ID plan attacked as UK data shows no cases of impersonation

System’s opponents say it creates barrier to voting, with no proven instances of ‘personation’ at polling stations last year
Working as intended.

Lee565

Braverman going off the charts

It's clear that her and sunak are just puppets and the real leader of the party is lurking in the shadows pulling the strings, it's bizarre how they are both throwing people from the very same background as them under the bus.

MoskvaRed

Jenrick, just another law-abiding Tory MP.

Immigration minister Robert Jenrick handed six-month driving ban

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-65173804
Shame we can’t deport Jenrick for not conforming with British norms. At least I have the satisfaction of knowing that a friend of mine fired Jenrick for being useless back in the day when he was a lawyer although it’s hard to believe he’ s since slimed up to ministerial status twice.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
She looks like Dobby if his face was slowly melting.

Dr. StrangeHate

The EU Entry/Exit system is now due to come into place in November and the ETIAS system around this time next year.

This will involve anyone entering the EU/Schengen to be entered into the EU database system - Biometrics - everyone (adult) photographed and fingerprinted - facial recognition and tracking people more easily who overstay their three month limit. Under the ETIAS system next year they will have to pay their 7 Euros per person for the visa application.

I can't wait for the outrage.
I can't think of a worst vote than Brexit this century by any country. Even electing Trump was less stupid.

Dr. StrangeHate

I always think back to this tweet. Think it's probably quite a good assessment of things.

I don't know if the likes of Patel or Bravermann were taught at a young age that they were the 'good immigrants' and the 'bad ones' were ruining for them or what. No idea. But I think if you were to delve into their personal history and upbringing you'd strike something along those lines.
Isn't the explanation even simpler that it is just a grift. Patel and Bravermann can say and do things which would not be possible for a Caucasian politician and they are happy to say it for money.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Here is a video:

In industry if you solicited a bribe in order to facilitate insider trading you could go to jail for many years as I understand it, and at the least would be on the hook for a big fine. Doubtless nothing much will happen to this knobhead by contrast. I guess there's every chance he's out of a job in a year's time so trying to line his pockets ready for it.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/23/section/2
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/23/section/11
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/36/part/V/crossheading/the-offence-of-insider-dealing

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Would love to see this slimy prick get his just desserts.

Bobade

Really?

After all the accusations from Tories about Labour being on the side of paedophiles, grooming gangs, criminals and Jimmy Saville, THIS is too much for you?
Yes. I expect this shite from the Tories but I'd like the opposition to have a better tactic of opposing this disgusting government than simply going "the PM doesn't hate paedos as much as I do"

saivet

Really?

After all the accusations from Tories about Labour being on the side of paedophiles, grooming gangs, criminals and Jimmy Saville, THIS is too much for you?
I never said any of that is okay. Just that this is quite a crass ad from Labour.

hobbers

Labour should take this argument north of the border. SNP just changed sentencing guidelines so that first time rapists wont go to jail if they're under 25.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
It's tacky and weird. If you want to link Tory MPs to sexual assault and child molestation then there are enough real cases you could highlight, including suspensions and criminal convictions to pick from.