Westminster Politics

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
She helped train their lawyers? That's probably fecked their legal system for a generation.
That's not fair. She has a proven history of being heavily involved with some excellent law firms printing off fecking documents for proper lawyers.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This is a brilliant read and is basically your typical Tory voter:

It seems made up but it's also very plausible. I particularly liked the local councillor bit, having come across cnuts like that who try and use that as some sort of sign of power :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have we ever had a weaker PM?

Physically a 9 year old girl would kick ten bells of shit out of him.

Politically he’s beholden to about 50 different factions on 500 different issues and carries zero authority.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I'm actually pleased about this, had he investigated it would have looked better for him, this makes him look pathetic. It was sleaze and Europe that killed the Tories for a decade in the 90s and sleaze and Europe will do the same now, I can not wait!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It does read like an awful sitcom- Hyancith Bouquet goes to France or whatever.
From now until October we'll get the British camper-van drivers (gladly less since Brexit - Brexit bonus)crawling through the narrow roads of our local town at 5mph, completely lost driving a vehicle that is too big for them.
A common occurrence:
Then they go to the supermarket to stock up on food. get to the check-out. They've bought some vegetables or fruit. "You have to weigh the fruit and vegetables and stick a label on them" says the cashier in French. "What?"
We quickly move to another queue or we'll be there for hours.

Dan_F

From now until October we'll get the British camper-van drivers (gladly less since Brexit - Brexit bonus)crawling through the narrow roads of our local town at 5mph, completely lost driving a vehicle that is too big for them.
A common occurrence:
Then they go to the supermarket to stock up on food. get to the check-out. They've bought some vegetables or fruit. "You have to weigh the fruit and vegetables and stick a label on them" says the cashier in French. "What?"
In fairness mate, I get the exact same thing in Cornwall over summer. Watching someone trying to fit through narrow 60mph roads in a brand new Jag is pretty hilarious.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They will have support in place for the elderly to ensure they get their vote.
With how competently they normally manage to support old folks I'd be surprised if they could do it well.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A common occurrence:
So if it is really that bad having to put up with all those stupid British tourists spending their money in your part of France (I am sure you were one of them once), then why don't you lead a movement to get them banned. Along with all the tourists from all those other countries who actually have the nerve to visit YOUR local town and clog up YOUR narrow roads.
And then see all the local shops in YOUR local town close down.

Paul the Wolf

So if it is really that bad having to put up with all those stupid British tourists spending their money in your part of France (I am sure you were one of them once), then why don't you lead a movement to get them banned. Along with all the tourists from all those other countries who actually have the nerve to visit YOUR local town and clog up YOUR narrow roads.
And then see all the local shops in YOUR local town close down.
They've been replaced by German and Swiss and Italians and other Europeans. The British don't keep our local economy alive despite rumours to the contrary. And when i was here i could drive and speak french.

Furthermore there used to be, before Brexit, enclaves of British, who have now mostly gone; Only the British who integrate have stayed in the main; Those who left used to order their weekly shopping from Asda and Tescos. There was a weekly service delivered in an Artic lorry. Company went bust because of Brexit.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Starmer blasting Sunak for not bringing immigration down was soul destroying to watch. The discussion around immigration is so fecked in this country. Starmer complaining there are too many work visa issued is disgraceful.
Also, international students can no longer bring their families over.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They've been replaced by German and Swiss and Italians and other Europeans. The British don't keep our local economy alive despite rumours to the contrary. And when i was here i could drive and speak french.

Furthermore there used to be, before Brexit, enclaves of British, who have now mostly gone; Only the British who integrate have stayed in the main; Those who left used to order their weekly shopping from Asda and Tescos. There was a weekly service delivered in an Artic lorry. Company went bust because of Brexit.
What ever happened to those guys with moustaches wearing red hankies round their necks and berets and blue and white striped teashirts called Jonny riding around our streets in summer with a string of onions tied round their bikes. Don't seem to see them anymore.
Maybe because they could not speak English.
That is a joke by the way.

And remind me. Where are you from?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Starmer blasting Sunak for not bringing immigration down was soul destroying to watch. The discussion around immigration is so fecked in this country. Starmer complaining there are too many work visa issued is disgraceful.
Also, international students can no longer bring their families over.
That is why I don't watch or listen to PMQs anymore. It is so cringworthy.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Or British person living in France who speaks French - versus British person holidaying in France who thinks shouting in English will make people understand them better.
It's great fun.
Ok, then brittish that knows french being a twat vs entilted english. Better?

Paul the Wolf

What ever happened to those guys with moustaches wearing red hankies round their necks and berets and blue and white striped teashirts called Jonny riding around our streets in summer with a string of onions tied round their bikes. Don't seem to see them anymore.
Maybe because they could not speak English.
That is a joke by the way.

And remind me. Where are you from?
Used to see them when I was kid. Selling onions is probably not an economical way of making a living these days. When you said about the British keeping the economy alive it was exactly what the woman said in the story.
Don't know what you're trying to say.
Bad drivers driving a vehicle they can't drive -- possibly because it's too big for them and with RHD on narrow roads.
For speaking french they could at least make an effort.
The British who make no effort are not liked by other British here who do make the effort.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Used to see them when I was kid. Selling onions is probably not an economical way of making a living these days. When you said about the British keeping the economy alive it was exactly what the woman said in the story.
Don't know what you're trying to say.
Bad drivers driving a vehicle they can't drive -- possibly because it's too big for them and with RHD on narrow roads.
For speaking french they could at least make an effort.
The British who make no effort are not liked by other British here who do make the effort.
Life is not that complicated mate. I always try to speak the language of my interlocutor wherever I am as deference to make lives easier. Because I don't know beforehand if that person is entitled or nothing about them. The "you speak and you do what I want in my country" sounds very UKIPY also.

Paul the Wolf

Life is not that complicated mate. I always try to speak the language of my interlocutor wherever I am as deference to make lives easier. Because I don't know beforehand if that person is entitled or nothing about them. The "you speak and you do what I want in my country" sounds very UKIPY also.
Next time I'm in Tesco's the UK I'll talk to the cashier in French and if they don't understand I'll shout at them in French to see if they understand better.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Next time I'm in Tesco's the UK I'll talk to the cashier in French and if they don't understand I'll shout at them in French to see if they understand better.
Do what you want and be a twat at either side of the conversation if you want. I didn't defend the english I blamed both. You are the one defending one. Did you occur to you that in an interaction both can be wrong?

Paul the Wolf

Do what you want and be a twat at either side of the conversation if you want. I didn't defend the english I blamed both. You are the one defending one. Did you occur to you that in an interaction both can be wrong?
I'm not following your line of thought.
Are you talking about the Tweet where there's two English people talking to each other, one pretending to be French or the real situation I am talking about where the English person interacts with a French person who really doesn't speak English but the English person makes no effort to speak to the French person in French despite being in France.

If I went to the UK I would not expect the cashier in Tesco's to be able to speak French or any other language other than English.
Hope that makes it clearer.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
When I was working, I used to go to Germany fairly often. And so I spent some time trying to learn a little German. Not the easiest language I have to say. And so while I was travelling I used to listen to those language tapes (showing my age again).
So when I next went to Munich, I prepared myself to try a few words in a restaurant.
So I said these few words and the waiter immediately spoke to me in pretty much perfect English and told me that he wanted to practice his English, not that he needed to practice.
This happened a few times.
After a few pathetic attempts, I just stuck to ordering beers in German.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I'm not following your line of thought.
Are you talking about the Tweet where there's two English people talking to each other, one pretending to be French or the real situation I am talking about where the English person interacts with a French person who really doesn't speak English but the English person makes no effort to speak to the French person in French despite being in France.

If I went to the UK I would not expect the cashier in Tesco's to be able to speak French or any other language other than English.
Hope that makes it clearer.
I am talking about the tweet. be kind and you will never face this consequences. I had been lost in a small time in france without knowing french back in the day, I tried, I failed and I was treated with respect and funny faces. Not a problem

I had been spoken in languages in my country that I shouldn't know but I knew, english, french, portuguese. And I answered back in that language, people were appreciative of my effort and no problem

Expecting a person to speak your language not in your country and act up, is being and entitled twat
Knowing the language that they speak to you knowing that they don't know it and not answering in that language is being an uneducated twat

Or at least in my list of my personal values. You have others. No problem, everybody is different

Paul the Wolf

When I was working, I used to go to Germany fairly often. And so I spent some time trying to learn a little German. Not the easiest language I have to say. And so while I was travelling I used to listen to those language tapes (showing my age again).
So when I next went to Munich, I prepared myself to try a few words in a restaurant.
So I said these few words and the waiter immediately spoke to me in pretty much perfect English and told me that he wanted to practice his English, not that he needed to practice.
This happened a few times.
After a few pathetic attempts, I just stuck to ordering beers in German.
You made the effort which is good. In large cities the chances are you will come across people in the hospitality sector and other business sectors who do speak English and possibly other languages. Nowadays it's probably a requirement for the job.

To expect a local person in a very small town to speak English is highly unlikely. There are definitely very few French people around here who can speak English.
Last year my daughter and her family went to Germany, renting Gites. She can't speak much German. In the large cities it was Ok to communicate but the owners of the Gites in the countryside could not speak English or French.

Paul the Wolf

I am talking about the tweet. be kind and you will never face this consequences. I had been lost in a small time in france without knowing french back in the day, I tried, I failed and I was treated with respect and funny faces. Not a problem

I had been spoken in languages in my country that I shouldn't know but I knew, english, french, portuguese. And I answered back in that language, people were appreciative of my effort and no problem

Expecting a person to speak your language not in your country and act up, is being and entitled twat
Knowing the language that they speak to you knowing that they don't know it and not answering in that language is being an uneducated twat

Or at least in my list of my personal values. You have others. No problem, everybody is different
You do realise I wasn't the person in the Tweet. He was an English person pretending to be French.
Any effort is highly appreciated by local people. They can make each other understood somehow.

What I don't like is the aggressive attitude. I've seen it on numerous occasions. I'm agreeing with you but you seem to think I'm not.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
You do realise I wasn't the person in the Tweet. He was an English person pretending to be French.
Any effort is highly appreciated by local people. They can make each other understood somehow.

What I don't like is the aggressive attitude. I've seen it on numerous occasions. I'm agreeing with you but you seem to think I'm not.
I don't know mate, you were the one quoting me sort of disagreeing with my reassessment of "brittish guy that knows french being a twat vs english entitlement" and then you brought us to the rabbit whole of hypoteticals of you shouting at tesco

Paul the Wolf

I don't know mate, you were the one quoting me sort of disagreeing with my reassessment of "brittish guy that knows french being a twat vs english entitlement" and then you brought us to the rabbit whole of hypoteticals of you shouting at tesco
I must admit I do tend to take people down rabbit holes. :)

The Tweet was a fictitious story, probably.
Real life is people shouting at other people because they are unable to understand them speaking in their own language in a different country.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I must admit I do tend to take people down rabbit holes. :)

The Tweet was a fictitious story, probably.
Real life is people shouting at other people because they are unable to understand them speaking in their own language in a different country.
I don't think so. Most of the people makes sort of an effort, that is what I experienced extensively in both sides and if not they think both internally that they are twats and continue with their life. Happened to me also