Westminster Politics

rotherham_red

The issue is that she has broken the ministerial code, if you actually read the BBC report, you would find that:

Your posts read really rather racist, whereas, whilst the intention was honourable, the channels used were totally inappropriate.

Mind you, the tweet was totally out of context to the reality of the discussions.
Hmm, I actually work in the development sector and have an intimate knowledge of the struggles many NGOs go through to get institutional funds such as those which are held by DfID, especially now that development spending is being linked to defence and security priorities and has become inherently politicised when they should be altruistic in nature.

The fact that a sitting International Development Secretary is wanting to give public funds not to NGOs who are actively working on the ground to alleviate the situation for people at risk and need, but instead to one of the most cash and resource rich armies in the world, that is deplorable any way you look at it.

Yes, they may be running projects which might very well be good, but considering how the Golan Heights has been illegally occupied by Israel for over 50 years (so hardly a case of procedural impropriety), and the role of the IDF in perpetrating war crimes in Occupied Palestine, it's a disgusting use of public funds. Especially considering how there are so many NGOs who are doing so much work to help Syrian refugees. What makes the IDF are more worthy recipient of funds than them?

If all of the above makes me racist, then by all means, call me racist.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Hmm, I actually work in the development sector and have an intimate knowledge of the struggles many NGOs go through to get institutional funds such as those which are held by DfID, especially now that development spending is being linked to defence and security priorities and has become inherently politicised when they should be altruistic in nature.

The fact that a sitting International Development Secretary is wanting to give public funds not to NGOs who are actively working on the ground to alleviate the situation for people at risk and need, but instead to one of the most cash and resource rich armies in the world, that is deplorable any way you look at it.

Yes, they may be running projects which might very well be good, but considering how the Golan Heights has been illegally occupied by Israel for over 50 years (so hardly a case of procedural impropriety), and the role of the IDF in perpetrating war crimes in Occupied Palestine, it's a disgusting use of public funds. Especially considering how there are so many NGOs who are doing so much work to help Syrian refugees. What makes the IDF are more worthy recipient of funds than them?

If all of the above makes me racist, then by all means, call me racist.
If you had posted this in the first place, then there would not have been an issue. However, the tweet appeared deliberately to inflame, whereas the reality was not what was implied by the tweet, whether someone considers it more or less worthy to assist NGOs or GOs is open to debate.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Patel going is understandable. Pretty much working with a foreign power without our knowledge. Baffling as to why she expected to get away with it. Boris should go too but May will put her own position above what should realistically be done.

Blind

Look... If you've got something to contribute to the discussion - OK. If not, don't try to stop me contributing.
The main gist of the argument is total speculation that in the full context of the text he's 'letting her down gently' which is an incredibly warped way of looking at allegations from a young woman about a 76 year old MP who's made her story public. Corbyn's already admitted he knew, it's depressing yet unsurprising to see some Corbyn supporters desperate to expose her as a liar and creating another narrative.

DenisIrwin

The main gist of the argument is total speculation that in the full context of the text he's 'letting her down gently' which is an incredibly warped way of looking at allegations from a young woman about a 76 year old MP who's made her story public. Corbyn's already admitted he knew, it's depressing yet unsurprising to see some Corbyn supporters desperate to expose her as a liar and creating another narrative.
OK. Better. That's your interpretation of events. I think the blogger's interpretation rings truer. I'm not going to tell you you're not entitled to your view.
I think a lot of people failed to realise that the most disturbing allegation, the crotch rub, was not made until the day she went to the press, and he was suspended as soon as the party was made aware.
It's being fully investigated now. We'll see what comes of that. I just hope justice is done.

rotherham_red

If you had posted this in the first place, then there would not have been an issue. However, the tweet appeared deliberately to inflame, whereas the reality was not what was implied by the tweet, whether someone considers it more or less worthy to assist NGOs or GOs is open to debate.
Fair do's, apologies for the confusion.

As a further comment, the new revelations show up just how disgusting Patel's course of action was. For example, from the Grauniad:

"Of all the meetings that Priti Patel held with Israeli ministers and officials, the meetings with Gilad Erdan, Israel’s public security and strategic affairs minister, are the most unusual and potentially damaging. She met him on her visit to Israel in August, and again in September in London. (See 7.27am.)

Erdan, an ambitious and abrasive member of Netanyahu’s own right wing Likud party, is better known for working against the kind of human rights advocates familiar to DfID staffers from their work.

In his strategic affairs role Erdan in particular has displayed McCarthyite tendencies, expressing at one stage his desire to set up a database of Israeli citizens who are involved in promoting and supporting boycotts, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movements against Israel or the settlements – a proposal that was opposed by the country’s attorney general Avichai Mendelblit who said he had no legal authority to collect data on the political views of Israelis.

A similar scheme targeting foreign nationals for intelligence gathering has been used to deny people entry to Israel.

In 2015 Erdan’s ministry was given powers including those to “guide, coordinate and integrate the activities of all the ministers and the government and of civil entities in Israel and abroad on the subject of the struggle against attempts to delegitimize Israel and the boycott movement”.

Among those who have fallen foul of Erdan’s ministry have been Isabel Phiri of Malawi, a senior official in the World Council of Churches who was detained arriving at Ben Gurion airport and deported.

Earlier this month Raed Jarrar, advocacy director for the Middle East and North Africa at Amnesty International – some of whose international projects are supported by DfID - was prevented from crossing from Jordan into the West Bank. A spokeswoman for Israel’s interior ministry said Erdan had recommended he be denied entry."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It really is pathetic. Politics seems to have got so much more tribal in recent years. Everyone seems desperate to bend reality all out of shape so long as it makes “their guy” look better. No matter how partisan and deluded it makes them seem.

DenisIrwin

It really is pathetic. Politics seems to have got so much more tribal in recent years. Everyone seems desperate to bend reality all out of shape so long as it makes “their guy” look better. No matter how partisan and deluded it makes them seem.
Pathetic? It's not really. If you think it's perfectly understandable for Ava to have kept up a friendly exchange of texts with someone she thought all along was a disgusting, creepy old guy, that's your prerogative. I don't think it's pathetic to ask if it might be less damning if seen in context. As for the crotch rub, I believe that's a lie. No way would the communication between them have proceeded as it did afterwards if it had happened as she claims.
There's really no need for "pathetic", "tribal", "desperate", "partisan" and "deluded" language.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yes, they may be running projects which might very well be good, but considering how the Golan Heights has been illegally occupied by Israel for over 50 years (so hardly a case of procedural impropriety)..
I assume you know why Israel occupied the Golan Heights?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pathetic? It's not really. If you think it's perfectly understandable for Ava to have kept up a friendly exchange of texts with someone she thought all along was a disgusting, creepy old guy, that's your prerogative. I don't think it's pathetic to ask if it might be less damning if seen in context. As for the crotch rub, I believe that's a lie. No way would the communication between them have proceeded as it did afterwards if it had happened as she claims.
There's really no need for "pathetic", "tribal", "desperate", "partisan" and "deluded" language.
I think it’s pathetic/tribal/partisan/whatever to start writing/quoting blogs undermining the case of a young woman who’s made an accusation of sexual assault purely because your politics are aligned with the accused. I doubt the person who wrote that blog has applied the same degree of scrutiny to the various conservative MPs accused of similar crimes? I dislike the general trend for internet detectives to think they can second guess due process but it’s particularly distasteful in cases like this.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

THE PLANE HAS LANDED !!!!

:lol::lol:

Edit - my bad, Patel is actually doing a bad OJ impression.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

DenisIrwin

I think it’s pathetic/tribal/partisan/whatever to start writing/quoting blogs undermining the case of a young woman who’s made an accusation of sexual assault purely because your politics are aligned with the accused. I doubt the person who wrote that blog has applied the same degree of scrutiny to the various conservative MPs accused of similar crimes? I dislike the general trend for internet detectives to think they can second guess due process but it’s particularly distasteful in cases like this.
Specifically these people, these accusations, this timeline.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
That’ll please the news media then. Lost track of the number of times I’ve switched off BBC and Sky this year because of the frequency of turning on and find them salivating at the mere mention of sacking an MP. They started before the election by sinking their teeth into Diane Abbott and shaking her to bits. They do like the power they wield over people.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Still interested to hear your reasoning why you labelled those posters racist?

Kaos

What a shambolic government, equally tragic is that they're still polling at around 40%. Not sure what's worse, that or Trump somehow still sitting at 33% approval.