Westminster Politics

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
ITV:

'Understand that opposition leaders agreed on their call this morning that Dominic Cummings' behaviour is a "matter of public health".

They will continue their discussions today and discuss next steps, which may be a joint public statement or letter to the PM.'

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
ITV:

'Understand that opposition leaders agreed on their call this morning that Dominic Cummings' behaviour is a "matter of public health".

They will continue their discussions today and discuss next steps, which may be a joint public statement or letter to the PM.'
Oh my god not a letter!

In fairness there's feck all else they can do.

TheGame

These lads are fecking laughing at you British Mugs.
These are the poeple in charge of your country and they are fecking laughing at you, and the public are just taking it.

That shit head did absolutley the wrong thing. 1000%.
If he just apologised it would blow over in a week.

But But But its a leftist conspiracy by the remoaner rags.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'd barely call it logic, it's just instinctive bollocks to defend their team like Pool fans defending Suarez.

Of course it's worse because politics is more than football but i doubt they treat it any differently. You only have to look at those who were spouting bollocks in the GE threads who suddenly turn up predictably to debate this issue with nonsense. I'm not sure if they believe their own bollocks, feel bad for them if so.
Yeah I think you’re right judging by what I’ve seen on Facebook during this pandemic.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The Tory party in their current administration have basically turned into a cult much like the MAGA trump crowd

society has dumbed down many levels

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Oh my god not a letter!

In fairness there's feck all else they can do.
Suspect Starmer will use all his questions at PMQ's to pull holes in the cummings version of events and demand he should go

In truth though I cant help but think that an argument over cummings is preferable to the Government that real analysis of the UK death rates from CV19 in comparison to the rest of the world

It may actually be better strategically for the opposition for Cummings to remain in place given how unpopular he is

SuperiorXI

Mind boggling how he didn't offer a full apology and resign. Surely this has done catastrophic damage to them in the polls? They have blatantly lied multiple times and have the cheek to collectively state Cummings did nothing wrong.

rotherham_red

What are the press complicit in?
I'm talking about his parents. It's pretty obvious this 'health scare' is patent bollocks. He went for a party on his mum's birthday. Every single one of them knew and know what he's doing, and they've all without fail, tried to obfusciate the issue with numerous excuses. From his medical emergency, his having Covid, and then not having Covid, then to his mum's excuse of his uncle dying (which happened days earlier... and in London).

Like I said, feck em.

Hammerfell

Mind boggling how he didn't offer a full apology and resign. Surely this has done catastrophic damage to them in the polls? They have blatantly lied multiple times and have the cheek to collectively state Cummings did nothing wrong.
Of course it hasn't, people are tribal and thick.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't think they really care given the majority, the next election won't be for another four years by which point what happened will have been forgotten about.

SteveJ

Scout
Mind boggling how he didn't offer a full apology and resign. Surely this has done catastrophic damage to them in the polls?
'Boris Johnson’s approval rating -1%. It was at +19% four days ago.

Overall government approval is now at -2%, dropping 16 points in a day.'

(savantagroup)

Hammerfell

'Boris Johnson’s approval rating -1%. It was at +19% four days ago.

Overall government approval is now at -2%, dropping 16 points in a day.'

(savantagroup)
I don't think a sample reflects the reality, unfortunately.

SuperiorXI

I don't think they really care given the majority, the next election won't be for another four years by which point what happened will have been forgotten about.
Good point. The opposition certainly shouldn't forget about it, it should be something they raise in the next election. These guys quite clearly don't give a shit.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Suspect Starmer will use all his questions at PMQ's to pull holes in the cummings version of events and demand he should go

In truth though I cant help but think that an argument over cummings is preferable to the Government that real analysis of the UK death rates from CV19 in comparison to the rest of the world

It may actually be better strategically for the opposition for Cummings to remain in place given how unpopular he is
This is usually the case, isn't it? I think back to Theresa May and how much of a hollow victory it was outing her.

It's so much better watching them squirm and having their mistakes building over time. A scapegoat is too convenient; their arrogance is what will fuel actual positive change.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
and whether you believe Cummings or not, he said he didn’t want to tell everyone his whereabouts because he knew this would happen.
does hounding his parents and getting a picture of a farm add anything to the story?
Cummings stayed at the parents property, which is the entire story, and he has gone on to claim that the accommodation he stayed at was not very nice.

The parents and their property are a critical part of this story and acquiring further details on this is an obvious place to continue to investigate.

Or please tell me what next steps any decent journalist should take.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
I've come to realise that the dark undertone to all this is that this scandal is going on in the midst of an international crisis where hundreds of thousands of people have died around the world. At a time when we need our government to make the right decisions in a matter of life or death, they are making some awful ones. This decision threatens to derail everything that we have all worked towards to save as many people as possible, just to keep that arrogant c*nt in his job! I hope it is always remembered how awful this government was in making decisions for the good of it's people. Not that the Tories ever attempted to pretend to have the public's best interests at heart in the first place.

Fingeredmouse

I'm talking about his parents. It's pretty obvious this 'health scare' is patent bollocks. He went for a party on his mum's birthday. Every single one of them knew and know what he's doing, and they've all without fail, tried to obfusciate the issue with numerous excuses. From his medical emergency, his having Covid, and then not having Covid, then to his mum's excuse of his uncle dying (which happened days earlier... and in London).

Like I said, feck em.
Got it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
There are an incredible number of sockpuppet accounts retweeting each others pro cummings statements today on twitter. They all have name and number profile names - have union jack logos and have around 1400 followers despite having only started tweeting in May. There is usually one bland tweet followed by a string of Move on - blame the media - this is boring tweets.
They use both the anti cummings / bojo hashtags and the pro ones. We are getting industrial scale gaslighting with russian bot factory backing here!
Just had a look. Its insane!

Majority are using accounts with pictures of pretty young white women, with whataboutism messages; promoting #DominicStays, and have managed to get that term trending. Really hope MSM can report this ASAP

Last edited:

SteveJ

Scout
No. 10 lobby briefing

'No. 10 has reiterated its support for Dominic Cummings over allegations he breached the lockdown.

The PM’s official spokesman told a Westminster briefing:

"From the prime minister’s point of view, he has set out that he believes Dominic Cummings acted reasonably, legally and with integrity and with care for his family and for others."

Downing Street declined to answer numerous queries that remain unresolved...'

Hammerfell

That video of Gove trying and failing to lie about driving to test his eyesight is beyond parody.

SteveJ

Scout
'Following his press conference, some 59% of Britons think Dominic Cummings should resign from his role as Boris Johnson’s senior adviser following questions about his conduct during lockdown, a new poll suggests.

YouGov also said 27% of those surveyed believe Cummings should not resign while 14% answered “don’t know”.

The data showed 52% of those surveyed who voted Leave at the 2016 EU referendum want Mr Cummings to resign, with 38% answering “should not resign” and 10% “don’t know”.

YouGov said it surveyed 1,160 adults on Tuesday.'

SteveJ

Scout
It doesn't half look dodgy that, immediately after emergency legislation was passed by-passing scrutiny of tendered contracts, Cummings' relatives and friends got multi-million-pound government contracts.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It doesn't half look dodgy that, immediately after emergency legislation was passed by-passing scrutiny of tendered contracts, Cummings' relatives and friends got multi-million-pound government contracts.
Is there a decent source for that? All I've seen is claims his sister was involved in a company but it turn out not to be his sister, just someone who married into the same surname but no idea if they were related.

SteveJ

Scout
Is there a decent source for that? All I've seen is claims his sister was involved in a company but it turn out not to be his sister, just someone who married into the same surname but no idea if they were related.
Sorry, I read about it a couple of days ago and wouldn't know where to find the source again.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This entire thing stinks - there are still hundreds of people dying every day of this bloody virus yet we have this circus caused by a man who thought he could do whatever he wanted being defended by a guy who is about as trustworthy as con man.

Abizzz

Next time I'm in the UK I will drive to test wether I'm too drunk to drive a longer journey.

Abizzz

Cummings might be a twat but I don't think he's done all that much wrong really. He should be punished but he's hardly been partying and snorting coke of hookers up in the North East has he?
How was he to know he wouldn't need a mechanic on his way? How was he ´to know he wouldn't come across a accident requiring first aid. Or some unexpected road/bridge closures. He didn't react responisbly at all. He risked the health of the general public in full knowledge of a possible infection. Snorting coke from hookers arses puts a lot less people at risk of death and illness than what he did.