Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
If McKenna was smart he'd reject Chelsea and United offers. Stay with Ipswich for another season or go to Brighton.

Going to Chelsea or United could just ruin him.
If you were in a similar position, would you reject them ?

Don't get me wrong I know where you and others are coming from but this is a potential once in a lifetime opportunity.

AkaAkuma

The problem is, if the reports about the circumstances of his leaving Chelsea are true, then I don't think he necessarily fits into the structure we're trying to create? Seems more like we want a head coach rather than a manager sort that has fingers in all the pies.
He seems to want to keep Gallagher and Chalobah as they work in his system and maintain a homegrown core. Likely wants to move away from Sterling, Fernandez and maybe Nkunku as they don’t fit the team beginning to form and probably also wants specific positions improving.
All with the aim of improving a team that had begun to gel.
Seems quite reasonable to me.

Yakuza_devils

Finally, the top 3 bookies odds are Pochettino, McKenna and De Zebri. No more Southgate bs. Tuchel also seems to drop to 4th or 5th.

I have a strong feeling that it will be De Zebri with the "maximum confidentiality" rumours.

Lynty

Don't get me wrong I know where you and others are coming from but this is a potential once in a lifetime opportunity.
Agreed. You need to be hyper competitive to be involved in professional sports and these people always back themselves. If I were in McKenna's shoes, i'd first try and negotiate an agreement to join next summer after ETH finishes his contract, but if that was off the cards...i'd just take the job.

mu4c_20le

Nagelsmann rejected Madrid for Leipzig because he felt he wasn't ready

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Tuchel or McKenna for me.
Not a big fan of De Zerbi.
Please not Pochettino!

Lynty

Don't buy it at all. It's been common knowledge he's leaving Bayern for months now, we would've wrapped it up by the now if we were going that route. Instead, he's been doing u-turns on talks with Bayern etc.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
Not sure there is any real front runner, each option has their positives and negatives.

It would be nice to see a manager on the up in McKenna, but we went that way with ETH and that didn’t work out.

Tuchel and Poch feel like managers whose careers have stagnated, similar to when we took on LVG and Mourinho, but they have a lot of experience with high profile players and clubs in their favour.

Tough decision.

FerociousCorgis

literally anyone but the manager who has guided us to 8th place, an inordinate amount of defeats, an setup that allows a stupid amount of shots and that would have a proper u-18 midfield have success probably.

Smores

Don't buy it at all. It's been common knowledge he's leaving Bayern for months now, we would've wrapped it up by the now if we were going that route. Instead, he's been doing u-turns on talks with Bayern etc.
We couldn't have wrapped it up for months though. If we were waiting for a non champs league placing to sack Ten Hag (as we do with managers) then we had to wait.

I suspect we'll have arranged it with whoever in principle a while back but we can't go public or Ten Hag would sue for more compensation.

3KDré

If there's one thing we've learned from LVG, Jose, Ole and ETH is that to be a successful United manager you must have modern coaching AND a massive personality/authority. Both LVG and Jose had the latter but not the former and both ETH and Ole had some of the former but not the latter.

The difficult thing about all the options out there is they've question marks on both fronts. Tuchel and McKenna I am unsure if they've the authority for it. RDZ has the personality but there's question marks over whether he can break a low block down. Pochettino has the authority but not the coaching.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

If there's one thing we've learned from LVG, Jose, Ole and ETH is that to be a successful United manager you must have modern coaching AND a massive personality/authority. Both LVG and Jose had the latter but not the former and both ETH and Ole had some of the former but not the latter.

The difficult thing about all the options out there is they've question marks on both fronts. Tuchel and McKenna I am unsure if they've the authority for it. RDZ has the personality but there's question marks over whether he can break a low block down.
Tuchel has my vote because he is one of the best tacticians in the world. Authority is definitely not an issue, if anything he can be a bit too authoritative and I think it caused some problems with some of the Bayern old guard. However, I do think our players can appreciate a good tactical mind, and would respect him for at least a couple of years. I'd take him over Poch as long as either comes with a get out clause in the contract.

3KDré

Tuchel has my vote because he is one of the best tacticians in the world. Authority is definitely not an issue, if anything he can be a bit too authoritative and I think it caused some problems with some of the Bayern old guard. However, I do think our players can appreciate a good tactical mind, and would respect him for at least a couple of years. I'd take him over Poch as long as either comes with a get out clause in the contract.
Maybe authority was the wrong word. Perhaps charisma. I feel like you need to be an exceptional leader to manage United. Like Jose, Ancelotti, Klopp, Pep or Conte in his prime. Is Tuchel as great a leader as them? Probably not. I do think he is the best option though, you are right.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
The great thing about the current situation is that Barcelona, Liverpool and maybe Bayern have all hired coaches that aren't even up for discussion with us. I include Bayern as they're not linked with anyone that we are supposedly interested in.

We've effectively been given a clear run at all of these managers, alongside Chelsea. It couldn't have gone much better. And depending on who Milan and Juve go for, Motta could still be on the table also.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The great thing about the current situation is that Barcelona, Liverpool and maybe Bayern have all hired coaches that aren't even up for discussion with us. I include Bayern as they're not linked with anyone that we are supposedly interested in.

We've effectively been given a clear run at all of these managers, alongside Chelsea. It couldn't have gone much better. And depending on who Milan and Juve go for, Motta could still be on the table also.
Romano says motta to juve is sealed.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That says more about Ten Hag if he is even worse than a well recognized Dutch flop.
What about Ten Hag? We're talking about Pochettino.

Ten Hag has shat the bed. Doesn't mean we should replace him with someone who has proven himself to be mediocre at the top level.

saivet

Please not Pochettino!
I'm in the same position as you though I'd pick Tuchel. The idea of McKenna going to Chelsea does make me nervous for a couple of reasons. If he's a success we'd have missed out and if he does badly then he may have ruined his chances to come to United in the near future and it could cause his derail his ascent as a manager. It's not a logical reason for United to go for him but I just don't want him to go to Chelsea.

Stig

I have decided that I don't really mind as long as somebody replaces him.

ETHs errors have been:-

1) Some awful purchases that he drove - think Antony
2) Continuing to play players who were awful and under performing
3) Continuing with tactics that involved no midfield that clearly didn't work.

None of these major flaws are injury related - they are just plain stupidity.

Sir David Brailsford talks about incremental gains. We probably are not going to find the next SAF or our Pep our Klopp within the next few weeks, but just about anybody would represent an incremental gain compared to the unfortunate disaster that ETH has been. The errors listed above clearly indicate he is not the man for the job. So let's move on and select a new manager, and whilst I have preferences or people I would kind of rather not have, I am confident that it would be hard to select somebody who would not represent an incremental gain, whilst we look for the ultimate solution.

Last edited:

RedRocket9908

Please not Pochettino!
McKenna isnt qualified for this job and I doubt he would be able to command the respect of the players, dont forget some of the players who forced him to leave last time and laughed at his training sessions are still here.

DSG

I have decided that I don't really mind as long as somebody replaces him.

ETHs errors have been:-

1) Some awful purchases that he drove - think Antony
2) Continuing to play players who were awful and under performing
3) Continuing with tactics that involved no midfield that clearly didn't work.

None of these major flaws are injury related - they are just plain stupidity.

Sir David Brailsford talks about incremental gains. We probably are not going to find the next SAF or our Pep our Klopp within the next few weeks, but just about anybody would represent an incremental gain compared to the unfortunate disaster that ETH has been. The errors listed above clearly indicate he is not the man for the job. So let's move on and select a new manager, and whilst I have preferences or people I would kind of rather not have, I am confident that it would be hard to select somebody who would not represent an incremental gain, whilst we look for the ultimate solution.
I think the focus under INEOS has changed to building a world class organization. Finding a savior or the next SAF is very difficult. I think they are looking at the Real Madrid model where you use your superior revenues to buy top young players and have top coaches / managers develop the talent and win trophies. The managers don’t last long because it is a high pressure job, but the base of talent is always there.

Fingers crossed…

Tiber

I'd be very happy to take a chance on Mckenna within a new structure.

We have tried everything else at this point, why not try the up and comer who has never put a foot wrong in Limited experience

Rooney1987

McKenna isnt qualified for this job and I doubt he would be able to command the respect of the players, dont forget some of the players who forced him to leave last time and laughed at his training sessions are still here.
Was Pep qualified for Barca, Alonso for Leverkusen and I'm sure other examples? Sometimes you just see potential and risk it. I might need someone to remind me of how he left, I thought he just took the Ipswich job no? Not sure anyone forced hiim to leave, regardless its what only a handful now Bruno, Dalot, Shaw, Maguire, McSauce, Rashford and AWB is it? I'd bet some of these will be sold anyway. Maybe they don't respect him but they'll respect Ineos, Berrada and the team around them, if they don't goodbye.

van Nistelrooy

If EtH is to be replaced, I'd rather give McKenna a chance rather than any of: De Zerbi, Poch or Tuchel.

A huge success story at Ipswich, presented with the Manager of the Year award by SAF and of course, formerly a United coach. Seems a decent match.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Rangnick and United wanted to keep him, McKenna decided it was time to leave and start his managerial career.

Rolaholic

If EtH is to be replaced, I'd rather give McKenna a chance rather than any of: De Zerbi, Poch or Tuchel.

A huge success story at Ipswich, presented with the Manager of the Year award by SAF and of course, formerly a United coach. Seems a decent match.
Also got quite the history with us so he would know the ins and outs of the club alteady

Must say, fair play to him for working his way up into a position where he's considered a credible candidate for a host of top PL jobs, not including Brighton, off the back of years of grinding and a terrific season in the Championship.

Takes some fortitude taking a risk and betting on yourself and your abilities like that. Think he's got the mental makeup/aptitude for a big job like United personally.

AndyMUFC

Yeah, I'm not sure about this one. He's done a fantastic job at Ipswich but things can change very quickly and I'm not being funny, managers from the UK are not exactly renowned for being the best around either.

I do like how he 's worked under so many of our previous managers and if you're looking for long term then he's probably a good candidate for that, but it does feel a bit too soon. Will back him if we do go for him though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.