5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_goldblum

Again, I was impressed with his link-up play. Having a centre forward who can receive the ball under pressure, hold it up until support arrives and pop it off when the option becomes available is an outlet we've often lacked in recent years. If we can get a replacement in the Summer who has a bit more individual skill alongside that ability to do the fundamental centre forward stuff, it'll be a big boost.

In the meantime, if Weghorst can do what he's been doing and chip in a few goals that's great. As a team we should be making far better use of his aerial threat as it's another dimension we otherwise lack and gives the opposition something else to think about.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He's been excellent. How long has it been since we had a striker who can hold up the ball, link up play and play quick one touch football with his team mates?

I wouldn't mind going into next season with him as the main striker, providing we can strengthen in other areas. Not sure how receptive Burnley would be to letting him go though.

lex talionis

Again, I was impressed with his link-up play. Having a centre forward who can receive the ball under pressure, hold it up until support arrives and pop it off when the option becomes available is an outlet we've often lacked in recent years. If we can get a replacement in the Summer who has a bit more individual skill alongside that ability to do the fundamental centre forward stuff, it'll be a big boost.

In the meantime, if Weghorst can do what he's been doing and chip in a few goals that's great. As a team we should be making far better use of his aerial threat as it's another dimension we otherwise lack and gives the opposition something else to think about.
Fully agreed. Rashford and Antony don’t like to cross, or I should say don’t like to cross from close to the byline. Instead, they like to check back to their stronger foot and send in floaters. If we can integrate Shaw and Dalot/AWB into a deeper crossing position Wout will have something to work with.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
His link up play is pretty damn good, quite impressed. Hopefully our wingers and Bruno/Eriksen can take advantage of it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Dutch tweet underneath says 'Opta still has to come up with a statistic for one-twos, but if there were one, Weghorst would certainly top it'. And lo and behold, Opta has a (somewhat) relevant statistic that he does indeed top. :)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Bit too early to say this and might change my mind depends on how he performs but at the moment I wouldn't mind to sign him as backup striker role for next season if we can sell Martial. It will free our wages budget and gives some additional transfer fees for our summer.

Blood Mage

Not much to complain about, a very solid player and a perfectly adequate stop gap until the summer. His aggressive pressing is a useful weapon to have and his link up play has been on par with Martial's so far.

criticalanalysis

Yeees....but there's also some elements that kind of contradict the idea. He doesn't receive the ball much (strikingly seldom actually), although when he does it's almost invariably with his back to goal. And there's not a lot of high balls or crosses going on, which you usually associate with a target man. He can't have been doing a lot of flicks around the corners to runners (if I understand correctly what you mean by that), given that he's got 0 progressive passes in his first 2 PL games (and a progressive distance of 26 yards for all his 28 completed passes combined).

Anyway, don't want to start a silly debate over what to call him. You're right to point out what you point out, maybe Target man is a good name for it - at any rate he clearly contributes as a link-up player.
Pretty much all of those things are because he's not getting the ball as much as we should be. Our first teamers barely cross period and when he gets the ball, as highlighted in the Opta stat tweet above, he's laying it off to our more dangerous attackers.

croadyman

He's been excellent. How long has it been since we had a striker who can hold up the ball, link up play and play quick one touch football with his team mates?

I wouldn't mind going into next season with him as the main striker, providing we can strengthen in other areas. Not sure how receptive Burnley would be to letting him go though.
We would still need a starter like Kane/
Osimhen/Vlahovic,however not averse to having him as another option. Still not convinced Martial will be here in the summer

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
There is a lot to like about his game. He retains possession in areas where it's very easy to lose it. Once our players get used to and start respecting his game, he'll be very involved and influencial for us.

I don’t care too much that he's slow. I dare any team to play a high line against us. Rashford and Antony(hopefully) will be able to capitlise on these and make them pay.

The thing we can't do is start pumping long balls in his direction. He's not that kind of a target man, Even at 6 ft 6

Also we need to start finding him in the box, he's a proper fox in the box type striker. He'll bag over ten goals this season.

justsomebloke

Pretty much all of those things are because he's not getting the ball as much as we should be. Our first teamers barely cross period and when he gets the ball, as highlighted in the Opta stat tweet above, he's laying it off to our more dangerous attackers.
Starting to be won over here.

Mr PG

I like him already. Nice hold-up play and he's creating space in the box for our other attackers. And he works so hard pressing from the front.

Mr PG

He might even improve the longer he trains with ETH...like every other player has.

Man Utd 3:1 Reading

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Good game from him again. Really smart header across to Rashford for the disallowed goal. Pressed like a madman and made their keeper shit himself once or twice.

Glorio

Very pleased with him. Seems to move a tad quicker now than his first game with us when he seemed to have lead boots on.

Or maybe I've just become used to his speed and when Martial comes back he'll look like Usain Bolt down there! :lol:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fits what we need right now very well. Extremely useful.

Dude drops back into our half to show for the ball. Gotta love it.

Zippycup

An expected performance.
Did what he was supposed to do. I'm quietly impressed so far

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I actually like him and his style of play. Holds the ball up well, works very hard for the team, keeps it simple, links up well. Obviously he's slightly slow and the team need to get adjusted to him so they can create more for him but he's been a good loan purchase.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Is it just me or did Wout look a bit faster last night? Not claiming he's suddenly become Mbappe. However, he seemed to be closing down more effectively than against Forest.

RC89

Just needs to make a nuisance of himself which he has been doing. Don't think he's a player we should be looking to sign permanently, but a player that tries to press like him can give the whole team a little boost.

Thought the same for Ighalo during his initial loan spell. It almost feels like they know they're not talented enough, so they work extra hard on the pitch and it seems to have an effect on the whole team for a while. But it's only sustainable for so long as we saw with Ighalo too. He just needs to continue this steady progress and help us see out the season.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Reminds me of Mandžukić role with Croatia and Juve.

Last edited:

December_16

Just needs to make a nuisance of himself which he has been doing. Don't think he's a player we should be looking to sign permanently, but a player that tries to press like him can give the whole team a little boost.

Thought the same for Ighalo during his initial loan spell. It almost feels like they know they're not talented enough, so they work extra hard on the pitch and it seems to have an effect on the whole team for a while. But it's only sustainable for so long as we saw with Ighalo too. He just needs to continue this steady progress and help us see out the season.
Fairly sure if he continues contributing as he has done, we will try to sign him permanently in the summer. He provides a dimension that no one else currently does. Seems to fit in really well with the rest of the team too. We always need squad players like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.