5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Hopefully goal gives him a lift,can't wait to go absolutely mental when he scores a massive one

Faetheshire86

Should call this guy Ronseal, because he is exactly as advertised. Works hard off the ball, has very good link up play and good strikers instincts. I'm not sure anyone could expect much more from a guy on loan from Burnley, who competes with Luk De Jong to be Memphis Depay's understudy? Although some of the comments after the Arsenal game did leave me wondering who some of our fans thought we had signed?!

The fact he has looked effective is a testament to how well EtH knows his system and the player. We've seen similar short term loans like this in the past, but this one feels a lot more calculated and less of a shot in the dark.

berbasloth4

I feel he mightened get the right service to get a good goal tally. He needs crosses into the box if shaw or dalot aren't playing the only crosses will be set pieces.

Jam

I’m liking his play.

Only concern is we’re reliant on goals from Rashford at the moment, if he dries up we’d be up shit creek. Need Bruno and Antony to up their numbers, Wout is freeing them but they’re not putting them away.

Wout brings an important presence in that final third; someone who is occupying the defence with his relentless pressing and movement, and someone who can comfortably receive a ball to feet and hold up or play it on.

I just think it’s a bit of a romantic idea having a skilful 9 running through and banging them in; every fan of the game loves a classic 9… But I can see Ten Hag’s vision and I’m not against looking at this route instead.

If Ten Hag doesn’t want a 30 goal striker and sees the strategy as having a 15 goal striker who frees up the three surrounding players to spread out the goals I’d back him. A whole season and another pre-season with potentially another 2-3 additions to the squad, all of whom will be fitter and more experienced in Ten Hag’s play… we could be flying.

Perfect scenario would be having two players comfortable in the middle; one who allows for fluid interchanging play between the forward line (an Nkunku type), and a second false nine type. Gives us two very distinct options but both fit around the style of play Ten Hag wants.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m liking his play.

Only concern is we’re reliant on goals from Rashford at the moment, if he dries up we’d be up shit creek. Need Bruno and Antony to up their numbers, Wout is freeing them but they’re not putting them away.

Wout brings an important presence in that final third; someone who is occupying the defence with his relentless pressing and movement, and someone who can comfortably receive a ball to feet and hold up or play it on.

I just think it’s a bit of a romantic idea having a skilful 9 running through and banging them in; every fan of the game loves a classic 9… But I can see Ten Hag’s vision and I’m not against looking at this route instead.

If Ten Hag doesn’t want a 30 goal striker and sees the strategy as having a 15 goal striker who frees up the three surrounding players to spread out the goals I’d back him. A whole season and another pre-season with potentially another 2-3 additions to the squad, all of whom will be fitter and more experienced in Ten Hag’s play… we could be flying.

Perfect scenario would be having two players comfortable in the middle; one who allows for fluid interchanging play between the forward line (an Nkunku type), and a second false nine type. Gives us two very distinct options but both fit around the style of play Ten Hag wants.
Eh I think ETH more wants the barebones of what WW offers, but I'd be shocked if he actually wanted him on a permanent deal (unless we got him for pennies and he was fine being a 3rd choice type). If he was a step or two quicker then we'd really have something, but he's just not fast enough to get onto the end of those passes on the counter that we like to play (Ronaldo had a similar issue this year; always a step slow)

city-puma

His issue is his pace, kind of slow. But if we are dominating the opponents, he will grab a pretty amount of goals and help create situations for the teammates to score.

Jam

Eh I think ETH more wants the barebones of what WW offers, but I'd be shocked if he actually wanted him on a permanent deal (unless we got him for pennies and he was fine being a 3rd choice type). If he was a step or two quicker then we'd really have something, but he's just not fast enough to get onto the end of those passes on the counter that we like to play (Ronaldo had a similar issue this year; always a step slow)
Yeah I’m not advocating as Wout to be “the man” for us. But going down the Wout-type route as our main forward, or having a Wout-type to be our secondary nine.

Grunnn123

This team looks much better with a striker.
This team is also not used to play with a striker, very little chemistry between him, Rashford and Antony. I think he's got the best effect on Bruno.
Wait till they have time to train. With this agenda there is no time to train.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Love that he scored a perfect roaming-the-box poacher goal. Would love to see more of that from him and he can become very useful for us. We need a goal-thirsty killer wolf in the opposition box, terrifying CBs.

mav_9me

We need to play more passes into him. Got him more involved today. Hopefully will continue to get better.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ten Hag really knows what he wants out of a player doesn't he?
Sure Weghorst is not world class and far from a desirable player under normal circumstances (not a loan). But all the quality our other forwards lack, he has them all. Can't wait to see how the team develops in 1-2 years, will probably be a very balanced team with players for all sort of tactics.

croadyman

His issue is his pace, kind of slow. But if we are dominating the opponents, he will grab a pretty amount of goals and help create situations for the teammates to score.
Knew that and doesn't bother me

Longlivekeano

ETH bought him for physical presence, numbers in the forward line and some experience. Plus decent value and available in jan. If he scores 4-5 more goals, then I think we would have done pretty well

nickyboy1981

He's done well for me. Great link up play yesterday and made a couple of runs that didn't get spotted. He should have been on that Bruno cross at the end though.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Given his profile and price tag, every single performance has been a success for me.

Looked good at Palace, Arsenal and again last night - he offers something we haven't really seen from a striker since Zlatan in his first season (maybe Cavani in the odd game). Such a difference!

Longshanks

Good technique, good with his back to goal works hard, very good at counter pressing. Nice passing and link up play, showed good strikers instinct and finishing for his goal last night. Is very very slow though probably makes Maguire look fast in training.

Exactly what we needed a capable CF to a CF's job for us. Hold it up, link up play and score goals in the six yard box. Think he will give us all of that.

dogwithabone

He’s doing well and great to see him score and what it meant to him. Would like to see a bit more aerial threat from him, getting across his marker. When he did manage it last night he either misdirected the header or missed it completely. He’s doing a good job though.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Feed the Horst and he will score, probably.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I've watched the goal several times this morning in a replay and let me assure you that goal wasn't as easy as he made it look. Many players would have fumbled or shoot it miles high out of the stadium.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He should be cast as an Alf in something - he's got the height, the pointy ears and the looks...

RuudTom83

If you judge him on the things he was bought to do (pressing, hold-up, linking, interceptions, not being injured) then he is doing just fine.

Criticising him for not being a speed merchant with great dribbling skills is a moot point really as that is just not his game.

Reading and Forest up next, let’s see how he gets on in those matches…could be a nice run of games for him.

Shark

@NotShark
If you judge him on the things he was bought to do (pressing, hold-up, linking, interceptions, not being injured) then he is doing just fine.

Criticising him for not being a speed merchant with great dribbling skills is a moot point really as that is just not his game.

Reading and Forest up next, let’s see how he gets on in those matches…could be a nice run of games for him.
I don't think people are necessarily criticising him on this, more so wondering why we didn't go for a striker more mobile on loan.

He's doing well though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think people are necessarily criticising him on this, more so wondering why we didn't go for a striker more mobile on loan.

He's doing well though.
Because better strikers would be more expensive or simply not available.

It was Weghorst or Aboubakar, I think we made the right choice.

It seems like fans are either too young or have simply forgotton what a big targetman plays like. He's doing the role really well and enabling our midfield/wingers to get into the game and score.

justsomebloke

It seems like fans are either too young or have simply forgotton what a big targetman plays like. He's doing the role really well and enabling our midfield/wingers to get into the game and score.
Yeah but he doesn't play like a big targetman does he.

Marcus

I've watched the goal several times this morning in a replay and let me assure you that goal wasn't as easy as he made it look. Many players would have fumbled or shoot it miles high out of the stadium.
I agree. It was not a tap-in. The goalie was still in front of him. Great finish.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Plus other key attributes that current/previous strikers didn't have, such as 'Not randomly going to South America' , 'Not throwing a paddy when substituted', 'Not being best mates with Pierce Morgan' ...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah but he doesn't play like a big targetman does he.
Back to goal, holding off defenders and being used as a wall for 1-2's? looking to get on the end of crosses? dropping deep and playing flicks around the corner to runners? sure he does.

Shark

@NotShark

If you say so, I'm not a scout for United, just a fan so admittedly have no idea what our full options were. If it was just between those two as you say it's the right choice.

Elcabron

We need to play more passes into him. Got him more involved today. Hopefully will continue to get better.
In his three games for us so far, I've counted two passes/crosses to him in the box, both came in last night's game. That whipped cross from Pellistri where he headed wide and the ball from Anthony I think, where it looked for a moment like he was through but his lack of pace showed and the defender blocked his sliding shot.

So the service to him so far has essentially been non existent. However he has scored one goal despite that. Shaw and Dalot can provide decent service when playing at full back, however only in the Arsenal game so far did Shaw play as full back while Dalot hasn't been on field same time as WW yet. So the service will improve yet I think.

justsomebloke

Back to goal, holding off defenders and being used as a wall for 1-2's? looking to get on the end of crosses? dropping deep and playing flicks around the corner to runners? sure he does.
Yeees....but there's also some elements that kind of contradict the idea. He doesn't receive the ball much (strikingly seldom actually), although when he does it's almost invariably with his back to goal. And there's not a lot of high balls or crosses going on, which you usually associate with a target man. He can't have been doing a lot of flicks around the corners to runners (if I understand correctly what you mean by that), given that he's got 0 progressive passes in his first 2 PL games (and a progressive distance of 26 yards for all his 28 completed passes combined).

Anyway, don't want to start a silly debate over what to call him. You're right to point out what you point out, maybe Target man is a good name for it - at any rate he clearly contributes as a link-up player.

The Irish Connection

Ten Hag likes his centre forward to be good with back to goal and be a pivot. At Ajax their build up play in the final third a lot of the time was using Haller as a wall/pivot, like the big man in basketball, lending it to him and then making runs in and around him into the box to get it back.
We saw it yesterday with Antony’s 1v1 chance.
Kane would probably be better than Osimhen at this but I’m still leaning towards Osimhen depending on the price.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Imagine the scenes if this guy gets us the winning goal in the EFL final.

Status
Not open for further replies.