Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

I like him.

It’s nice watching somebody who is so obviously a striker play there for us. He’s the right profile, we just need somebody quicker, younger and better.

Jeffthered

Doing well, in a difficult role... remember, we're not the most prolific of teams, and we're still benefitting from individual form, rather than a systematic approach to creating an scoring goals. Look at Antony, who is now having to be played more centrally because he is ineffective as a winger. Wout works that No 9 shirt, is a genuinely hungry, committed team player who wants to be a better player... I really respect that, because it earns the respect of players, coach and fans, and compliments the team in many ways. I like him. He's scored, and if he keeps notching a goal or two along the way, then that's fantastic. Look at the disallowed goal from Rashford... that was all about Wout. Great No 9 play. We need that as an option when we are all over teams.

afatzp

He barely got any supply , Rashford / Bruno / Antony all tried to shoot themselves or cut back. Actually he is quite good at shooting techniques and header, no reason we don't target him more for creating goals . Hope ETH could instruct the team towards this route.

Idxomer

He is doing a job but he has also been fairly average so far.

Definitely shouldn't waste any transfer money on him. There will be a couple of free agents in the summer who could do this role better than him.

Jeffthered

He is doing a job but he has also been fairly average so far.

Definitely shouldn't waste any transfer money on him. There will be a couple of free agents in the summer who could do this role better than him.
I would say he is a fairly average forward, but hey, look at where we are with all of these star 'skillful' forwards we have on massive money! If he keeps scoring the odd goal and contributing, then we keep him. A very decent squad addition in both the short and longer term.

crossy1686

career ending
I was thinking the same. He's at least fit and available unlike Martial.
We need depth up there and we should look to offload Martial this summer. Although I’ve said that for the last 3 years you get the impression that Ten Hag might actually be able to do it, that way we can get a decent forward in hopefully.

Weghorst isn’t exactly setting the world alight but he wants to be here, he’s trying, he’s contributing and he’s playing like an actual CF, which is all refreshing to see. There a place in the squad for players like that, we’ve had many of them over the years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's not exactly tearing teams apart but can you imagine how we would line up without him?
Martial is perma "injured". All in all a very good stop gap signing.

Rockets Redglare

of the four you’ve named, only 1 is a striker and two are average wingers
Another old bloke on massive wages, two average wingers (one who already couldn’t make it here) and another who’s an absolute crock and would play as often as Martial.

phelans shorts

Another old bloke on massive wages, two average wingers (one who already couldn’t make it here) and another who’s an absolute crock and would play as often as Martial.
I didn’t really delve into Dembele because it *could* have been Moussa who used to be at Fulham and Celtic and has been alright for Lyon. He’s no better than Wout either but I was giving the benefit of the doubt.

Reddevildans

I like his tenacious nature. He presses and is always on the move. I don't think the players are looking enough for him and it looks like a teething process at the moment. He is making good runs. I expect him to be pleasantly useful for the rest of season perhaps scoring 2 or 3 very important goals.

dinostar77

Doing well, in a difficult role... remember, we're not the most prolific of teams, and we're still benefitting from individual form, rather than a systematic approach to creating an scoring goals. Look at Antony, who is now having to be played more centrally because he is ineffective as a winger. Wout works that No 9 shirt, is a genuinely hungry, committed team player who wants to be a better player... I really respect that, because it earns the respect of players, coach and fans, and compliments the team in many ways. I like him. He's scored, and if he keeps notching a goal or two along the way, then that's fantastic. Look at the disallowed goal from Rashford... that was all about Wout. Great No 9 play. We need that as an option when we are all over teams.
Wout highlights the difficulties any striker be it osihmen, kane or vlahovic would have at Utd.

As you said we are very individualistic rather than creating for each other. Any striker who comes in would get frustrated.

If we could get wout for cheap, id keep him as a bench/cup/alternative striker up front. He does all the right things and he has the right comitment and desire.

NLunited

I think we lucked out with Wout, he is filling the role really well. Pressing, hold up play, good movement in the box. We are not yet getting the most out of him: service has been sparse.

I can‘t say Martial has been better.

Beyond this season, he could be kept for squad depth, I‘m ok with that.

I’m loving my life

Wout highlights the difficulties any striker be it osihmen, kane or vlahovic would have at Utd.

As you said we are very individualistic rather than creating for each other. Any striker who comes in would get frustrated.

If we could get wout for cheap, id keep him as a bench/cup/alternative striker up front. He does all the right things and he has the right comitment and desire.
Exactly and given our track record we could spend 50mil+ on someone underwhelming/injury prone/who doesn’t fit. He’s doing a needed job in providing cover and a different option so I can’t see why anyone would be worried especially as he is cheap and has the right attitude. We have been propping up the wrong people’s careers for far too long and far way more expense-see Martial, Jones, Bailey, et al

Sylar

I doubt he is good enough long term, maybe as a back up option
Oh for sure hence the question. If we can get him for a decent price, as a squad player it's worth having in addition to a top quality centre forward. Would help flesh out the squad and help us for the number of games we aim to have (if we want to compete for all again)

Crimson King

He's doing fine. Seems to like Rashford I noticed.
Apparently Rashford was the first player to greet him when he arrived for his first day of training and really made him feel welcome. It must always be nervy going into that sort of situation, especially with some of the super stars in our squad and all the noise about him being a big lump on loan from Burnley, no matter how experienced a player you are.

Wout obviously appreciated it and how it helped him settle in quickly.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
We need at least 3 players for each position. We currently have 0.5 first team centre forwards, and even that one is a converted winger who is never fit.

Imo of course we keep him, assuming the price isn't too high.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We'd have been completely fecked if we hadn't signed him. What's the situation with Martial?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
After watching Ronaldo walk around the pitch for months, Wout is a breathe of fresh air.

Sure he's not individually going to win us a game, but he is running his ass off for the team. He links up well, holds the ball - he's doing a great job so far IMO.

julianfr

I like him. He comes across as an unassuming, no frills player but works for the team. I can see him popping up with the odd goal here and there where just 1 is enough to win it.

I don't for a second think he's the answer to our striker problem but def a decent squad player.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
After watching Ronaldo walk around the pitch for months, Wout is a breathe of fresh air.

Sure he's not individually going to win us a game, but he is running his ass off for the team. He links up well, holds the ball - he's doing a great job so far IMO.
Agreed. He's playing his role well.

Man Utd 2:0 Nottingham Forest

The United

Almost forgot that he played until he reminded me of his presence when he broke down some of our attacks.

I liked that he is not shy to run and press around though.

kundalini

Header that hit the post from Casemiro's cross. Just looks way below the quality of a typical United player, passes often reach the intended target but cause them to slow down or stop.

Long Time Red

Can't fault his workrate but he just doesn't seem very good to me.

Martial felt like a massive upgrade when he came on.

footballbite

He's trying, and occasionally does alright things, but ultimately he's not really Utd quality. He shouldn't be signed in the summer even on the cheap for back-up. He just lacks the sharpness of the players around him.

Martial when he came on today emphasised how little Weghorst really offers and how key it is Utd get at least one, if not two, proper good quality CFs in the summer.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He's an alright option for cover, should of scored the header and won a pen.

He links up well and presses well, he's not the option for us to win titles but a squad player? Absolutely

Status
Not open for further replies.