5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

norm87cro

His link up is great? We must be watching a different player. Didn't he touch the ball like 8 times or something yesterday?..... How can you link up well if you never get involved.

Which players were less talented then?
Victor Lindelof of the current bunch and many more in the past.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No, he isn't you have made that up.
Clearly the target was Felix and the club didn't want to pay the money
Options were also clearly limited, I mean you mentioned Memphis on a free as if that's equivalent in cost to a 6 month loan
No I haven’t. There’s no more speculating in what I’m saying than yours, which somehow has concluded that the manager had nothing to do with the choice to sign a striker he signed (undoubtedly because he’s been a spectacular failure, otherwise it would be all down to the manager). You’ve conveniently decided that it is ‘clear’ that Felix was the main target when he was just one of several names loosely mentioned with United and Arsenal - but talks never seemed to get to any sort of De Jong levels, perhaps because of cost who knows - but in which case you may as well have said Kane was the target but we couldn’t afford it. So what? If you can’t afford Felix, don’t go and get Wout Weghorst because he is rubbish.

Memphis could have been loaned. I also mentioned Danny Ings, which you omitted, no doubt as a genuine oversight. There’s also the fact that Ten Hag’s options were obviously not limited to three players I mentioned in a post on Redcafe.

We didn’t get Weghorst on January 31st after exhausting efforts to sign someone else. We got him fairly early, and not because he was being given away either - after a week of negotiations. Clearly, he was wanted by someone here, and my guess is it was not Richard Arnold.

ti vu

I don't have double standard they're both shit, difference being Weghorst is only on loan and will leave in the summer. McTominay has been here for years stinking up the place. Before this season with Casemiro and Eriksen arrival he was a starter ffs.

We clearly got it wrong with Weghorst theres no way to sugarcoat that. He's God damn awful and doesn't have what it takes to make it here, here being the premier league not ManUtd, and no amount of effort and passion can change that at this point of his career. He lacks so many basic attributes Im actually surprised how the scouting department gave the green light for him.

I think ten Hag was fixated on him somehow and the scouting department gave it a go. Or maybe his lack of skills weren't as evident in turkey. I don't know it really amazes me how someone this poor did actually end up playing with us.
I think your latest post has us pretty much in similar view. Just want to add some hair splitting point here, then I sign out of this discussion.

PL is the most competitive league. Even someone as experienced like Varane and Casemiro coming from Real Madrid, a team has been on higher level than us in recent past years, openly said that it's a new experience/challenge for them to play in PL. Relying a journeyman CF from even much weaker league to perform in PL is asking for trouble.

ETH managed McTominay game time reasonably. After Casemiro settled and became regular starter, McTominay didn't start unnecessarily. McTominay can use the excuse of we have no option for his recent gametime. He did even have a decent cameo against Southampton. McTominay didn't cost much as he's on relatively lower tier wage, and he came from youth set up. Yet ETH was seen hesistant in starting McTominay. He's experimenting with Bruno in double pivot before Casemiro sent off forced his hand. Saying that those, there is no excuse for McTominay not being sold.

So there is no excuse for Weghorst being just a loan, and only being here for over 2 months when he keeps starting games when he shouldn't. When you start, there is certain low standard you need to meet. How long/little you're at the club is no excuse. Simple as that. ETH having blind spot for Weghorst is becoming an issue for the team.

Last edited:

Tiber

The Turkish league must be dreadful if he was scoring regularly

norm87cro

If you truly think Lindelof has less talent than Weghorst, you need to watch another sport.

And I'm no Lindelof fan
Well its really not a Lindelof thread so this discussion would be pointless on this thread. I genuenly dont think hes that bad despite not scoring in the PL and since he is a loan signing people need to chill a bit. He's not gonna be here next season and we need to clinch top 4 with this squad anyway we know how

Norris

Really hope, Martial can start the next few games. Wout can come on as a sub and run all he likes.

mu4c_20le

Well its really not a Lindelof thread so this discussion would be pointless on this thread. I genuenly dont think hes that bad despite not scoring in the PL and since he is a loan signing people need to chill a bit. He's not gonna be here next season and we need to clinch top 4 with this squad anyway we know how
He is not as bad as a random fan from the stands, yes. But he is clearly a level below everyone else, including LIndelof, who is still a PL player and would walk into many teams like Spurs.

Irwin99

Have defended him but his attacking output has been dreadful and he should have gone across goal with that chance Antony provided for him yesterday. We need Martial back and starting regularly.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No I haven’t. There’s no more speculating in what I’m saying than yours, which somehow has concluded that the manager had nothing to do with the choice to sign a striker he signed (undoubtedly because he’s been a spectacular failure, otherwise it would be all down to the manager). You’ve conveniently decided that it is ‘clear’ that Felix was the main target when he was just one of several names loosely mentioned with United and Arsenal - but talks never seemed to get to any sort of De Jong levels, perhaps because of cost who knows - but in which case you may as well have said Kane was the target but we couldn’t afford it. So what? If you can’t afford Felix, don’t go and get Wout Weghorst because he is rubbish.

Memphis could have been loaned. I also mentioned Danny Ings, which you omitted, no doubt as a genuine oversight. There’s also the fact that Ten Hag’s options were obviously not limited to three players I mentioned in a post on Redcafe.

We didn’t get Weghorst on January 31st after exhausting efforts to sign someone else. We got him fairly early, and not because he was being given away either - after a week of negotiations. Clearly, he was wanted by someone here, and my guess is it was not Richard Arnold.
I'm not saying he had nothing to do with it, clearly, it was his choice. Clearly, though it is not speculation to determine that funds and options were severely limited.
The club didn't want to spend and the manager didn't want anyone in on loan who would need obligations past the season.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Have defended him but his attacking output has been dreadful and he should have gone across goal with that chance Antony provided for him yesterday. We need Martial back and starting regularly.
Had he gone for the far post, it would've likely gone for a throw-in.

He's just such a bad forward.

Hughes35

Some stats for you on his time in the PL.

Minutes - 651
Goals - 0
Assists - 1
Shots on Target - 3
Pass completion - 73% Checked a random rubbish player I could think of in Iheanacho and he has 76%.

He's useless, lets not pretend otherwise. One shot on target every 2 and a bit matches is simply not good enough.

JuriM

Minutes - 651
Goals - 0
Assists - 1
Shots on Target - 3
Pass completion - 73% Checked a random rubbish player I could think of in Iheanacho and he has 76%.

He's useless, lets not pretend otherwise. One shot on target every 2 and a bit matches is simply not good enough.
That's very not telling statistic, without saying how many shots he has taken in total? One is 3 out of 1000 the othe is 3 out of 10 :D

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Minutes - 651
Goals - 0
Assists - 1
Shots on Target - 3

Those stats are abysmal.
If we had a youth player, say age 18 and he produced those stats, I'm not sure if that 18 yr old would be given more game time, despite him being nowhere near his potential/ceiling.
Wout is basically a player in his 30s, who should be able to hit the ground running.
I'm not sure why ETH keeps picking him. Maybe he likes tall players....not sure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Really hope, Martial can start the next few games. Wout can come on as a sub and run all he likes.
I'd say there's almost no chance that ETH will have Martial starting multiple games a week any time soon. And probably rightfully so, as it'd increase the chances of further injury significantly. If he can handle starting one game a week for the next month or so, maybe we can increase the workload after that.

ClassOf'99

That's very not telling statistic, without saying how many shots he has taken in total? One is 3 out of 1000 the othe is 3 out of 10 :D
So you think 10 shots in 10 games in the EPL, and only 3 on target is a better statistic?

No matter what way you look at it the stats are ridiculous for a 9.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm not saying he had nothing to do with it, clearly, it was his choice. Clearly, though it is not speculation to determine that funds and options were severely limited.
The club didn't want to spend and the manager didn't want anyone in on loan who would need obligations past the season.
And I am saying that considering these circumstances, we should have gotten a better footballer than Wout Weghorst, and there is no way that I can be convinced that - even in these circumstances, that WW was the best option, even on loan, even for only 6 months. As I mentioned, Marcel Sabitzer is evidence of the type of player that can be acquired in such circumstances. Ten Hag

As I said, he wasn’t even ‘available’. It is not often that you see a club trying to get a player out of an existing successful loan. The part that I am focusing on is the evidence that there was clearly some decent level of interest in Weghorst. Weghorst wasn’t thrust upon Ten Hag out of circumstance, he was chosen by Ten Hag out of circumstance - which I believe was a poor choice because he isn’t good enough to play in the PL. Ten Hag, circumstances considered, saw value that Weghorst could add here, otherwise he would not have brought him here. He is culpable for that decision.

WW wasn’t free. For €3m I’m sure we could have gotten better for 6 months. It’s not as if the average deal on the loan market is €15m or something. West Ham paid 1m for Jesse Lingard for example. At some point, Ten Hag would have had a list of options for such a deal. I’m almost certain that at least one other name on that list was better than Wout Weghorst, if not all of them.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So, are you suggesting that across the entire continent, the only player who would be willing to join us for 6 months, was Wout?
I would definitely be thinking about using a U23 player instead of Wout, but I doubt ETH will do this. He'll persist with Wout.
I actually have nothing against Wout - it was an experiment that didn't work. These things happen. But ETH needs to acknowledge this and consider other options.
Playing with Wout is like playing the entire match with 10 men. And when Casemiro gets himself sent off, we go down to 9.

Cassidy

So, are you suggesting that across the entire continent, the only player who would be willing to join us for 6 months, was Wout?
I would definitely be thinking about using a U23 player instead of Wout, but I doubt ETH will do this. He'll persist with Wout.
No Im saying when you have you have less than a month to evaluate options and a limited budget you are going to have very limited options. Chelsea are another club that struggled and they did not have the budget constraints. Im saying people need to be realistic and quite obviously signing someone you know when you have limited scouting time and options makes sense.

It didn’t work out, your u23 suggestion is ridiculous, none of them are good enough, if they were they would be playing.

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
when is the last time we crossed the ball like beckham used to - I dont see it, and that would be the only way Wout might get a few.

JuriM

So you think 10 shots in 10 games in the EPL, and only 3 on target is a better statistic?

No matter what way you look at it the stats are ridiculous for a 9.
Still different, shows how his main job in the game plan isn't taking the shots, but bringing other's to play.

Which still shows, we need a striker who would be capable to score over 20 per season.

Siorac

when is the last time we crossed the ball like beckham used to - I dont see it, and that would be the only way Wout might get a few.
The man is actually pretty terrible in the air so I doubt Beckham himself could help him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Beckham used to assist very good or world class strikers who could finish, not someone who is barely a footballer.

Siorac

The problem is not in playing Weghorst, the problem was in signing him.
I mean... I do agree with everything you say in the post but playing Weghorst is also a problem.

Yes, he was the only available player who is supposed to be a centre-forward by trade in our squad for the past three months or so. But that does not mean that we can't play anyone else there. There's no law that says that you can't put someone up front if they usually play in a different position.

The argument against doing so is, of course, that they'd be rubbish. But when the bar is Wout fecking Weghorst, we don't have much to lose by trying. The worst case scenario is that Antony or Elanga or Bruno or the tea lady would contribute exactly as much as Weghorst; that is, basically nothing. But at least there is a potential upside: they might be better than Weghorst!

Having said all that, he'll now surely score a hat-trick against Brentford just to make me look stupid.

evil_geko

Beckham used to assist very good or world class strikers who could finish, not someone who is barely a footballer.
Had a goal every second game ratio in two seasons in Bundesliga, but "barely a footballer", fecking Caf logic. :lol::houllier:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Had a goal every second game ratio in two seasons in Bundesliga, but "barely a footballer", fecking Caf logic. :lol::houllier:
I don’t care about what he did there. What I see is that I can’t remember a worse regular player at the club in my time watching United, not even a worse sub apart from maybe some academy kid or cheap signing who never made it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Yes and no, Weghorst is really poor but moving Rashford to the 9 position means taking him of the left wing which is where he's scoring.

Moving him will definitely affect him, so it's a case about the lesser evil. At this point if Martial is not available I definitely would as playing Weghorst is like playing with 10, but if you had ask me a couple of weeks ago I would have said Weghorst starting was the right call.
Rashford also scored from central position. Besides Rashford playing centrally cannot be worse than the shite Weghorst has consistently served up.
It's madness to keep shoehorning the worst player of our squad

Cassidy

Rashford also scored from central position. Besides Rashford playing centrally cannot be worse than the shite Weghorst has consistently served up.
We actually don't have a lot of good attacking options, hopefully, Martial will stay fit till the end of the season.
I'm sure if Sancho was pulling his weight, the option to move Rashford centrally would have been taken up a lot more than it has.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
We actually don't have a lot of good attacking options, hopefully, Martial will stay fit till the end of the season.
I'm sure if Sancho was pulling his weight, the option to move Rashford centrally would have been taken up a lot more than it has.
You're not wrong but for instance yesterday we did have options, Wout started regardless.

InfiniteBoredom

Rashford actually has a better goal per minute ratio from the striker position. Granted, most of them came from in game shuffle/subs change, but the idea that we must play him on the left at all cost isn’t true. And even when Weghorst is starting, it isn’t like he always play on the left anyway, remember Liverpool away?

SAFMUTD

I agree playing Weghorst is a no go, what I don't agree with is necessarily moving Rashford to the striker position.

Cassidy

You're not wrong but for instance yesterday we did have options, Wout started regardless.
Like who? Again I'm not counting Sancho he is not trusted clearly

mu4c_20le

I agree playing Weghorst is a no go, what I don't agree with is necessarily moving Rashford to the striker position.
Just put Bruno there and play him like Tadic. He can be edgy with his passes all he wants in the oppo's half.

Cassidy

Just put Bruno there and play him like Tadic. He can be edgy with his passes all he wants in the oppo's half.
And who do you expect to find Bruno without Eriksen in the midfield :lol:

santeria13

Sublemon
This thread is becoming hilarious.
People saying that he is the defacto worse player who has played for MUFC in 15 years+.
We are now even comparing him to Falcao, who was dreadful (he could barely stand without falling over and scored about 4 goals in 6 months).
Hopefully ETH isn't too stubborn and accepts that for the good of the team (with Wout, it's like we are playing with 10 men), it would be best for all concerned to end this experiment.
Falcao had the odd moment where he looked like he might score, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.