5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

Some brutal assessments in here. He looked nervous to begin with, but did ok afterwards with some nice link up. There were a few occasions where he needed to be closer to his teammates and seemed to be hiding a little, which surprised me, but hopefully he can improve and make a positive contribution going forward.
This seems a fair assessment. I’m also expecting more from his high press when he is in tune with how we press. We had strikingly little effective high press yesterday, despite him being pretty mobile.

Pickle85

I'm only having a bit of a laugh.

His first game and he wasn't overly terrible, did some good stuff, held the ball up well and made some nice off the ball moves to create space for others. All stuff that a natural centre forward gives you, Cavani was good at it from time to time. Something that's missed when Rashford, Ronaldo and Martial were up there.

Personally I'd prefer to have him up there over Martial every week because of that, he looks to make things happen, he's more active and distractive in and around the box. And because I can't stand looking Martial standing round just waiting for the ball to come to him or for someone else to do something.
We are definitely on the same page here. Totally agree re him over Martial based on what I've seen (largely of recent Martial!)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I honestly don't know why people do it to themselves, because they bigged a player up so much they have to come and trash them in the performances thread. You don't get quality strikers for £2m on loan from the Championship. At least he's not Martial, so there's always that.
I think Weghorst will have his uses for you, but not as a starter, which is also not why Ten Hag has signed him I imagine. Last night actually had the perfect moment to sub him on; after Palace scored (which was impossible obviously).

adedawson

I thought he was pretty good. Nice to have a striker in position. It was wout dragging the defenders with him that left the box wide open for Bruno's first goal. Practically dragged every defender in the box with him due to his earlier movement.

https://ibb.co/9VC3MN9 - Image of the drag back.

In fact, Wout going off changed the second half. The palace defenders started coming out more with the ball.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Some nice touches and hold up play but I think the boss got it wrong starting him.

Had he come on as a sub around the hour mark we might have comfortably seen out the match.

NoPace

Replaced by Aboubakar. Feels like we chose the higher floor over the lower ceiling here since Aboubakar didn't look fit enough to start games at the World Cup and Weghorst is much better defensively, but Aboubakar is more skilled and agile than Weghorst so probably a better actual fit based on how Martial helps the side's balance a ton despite being allergic to the 6 yard box.

NoPace

I thought he was pretty good. Nice to have a striker in position. It was wout dragging the defenders with him that left the box wide open for Bruno's first goal. Practically dragged every defender in the box with him due to his earlier movement.

https://ibb.co/9VC3MN9 - Image of the drag back.

In fact, Wout going off changed the second half. The palace defenders started coming out more with the ball.
Yeah, Ten Hag knows what he's doing. He'll occupy CBs and defend them well. Not exciting, but keeps the position from being an outright liability for 4 months and lets Garnacho be a sub instead of a starter (with Rashford up top) or Sancho being forced back before he's ready, and Rashford at LW is our most dangerous attacker there and there's just a huge advantage to having a guy getting a ton of goals not at #9, since Weghorst should still grab some rebounds, tap-ins and headers (the exact goals Martial doesn't).

Arsenal 3:2 Man Utd

luke511

His immobility has deflated the attack, Garnacho shouldn't be getting dropped for a player we've loaned from Burnley. He can keep it tidy but realistically should be a last resort option.

IrishMcD

Should not have stayed on the pitch. He moves like my grandmother. She’s got a better first touch though. Admittedly I was watching it on my phone, so hard to judge properly but after throwing away another game late in injury time, I feel I’m allowed an over reaction :lol:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I think he's a bit shit tbh. Hope he proves me wrong but as for beings threat as a striker then he's shown nothing for me yet.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That Rashford chance where the keeper came, thats how you utilize him. Preferably late in the game as a sub. He's not a top level premier league player, at all. He's too slow and has too little technical ability for that.

acnumber9

Did alright. He’s been no threat in the opposition box in two games though. Not all his fault mind.

BerryBerryShrew

His immobility has deflated the attack, Garnacho shouldn't be getting dropped for a player we've loaned from Burnley. He's a tidy player but realistically should be a last resort option.
Antony should be dropped for Garnacho.

Superunknown

I think he's a bit shit tbh. Hope he proves me wrong but as for beings threat as a striker then he's shown nothing for me yet.
I agree with this. All of this 'striker as a link-up' shite that people talk about is just code for an attacker who doesn't score goals or assist. We need much more from this position.

Skills

Snitch
He was useless at the end. Arsenal CBs didn't respect him and just played in our half

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His touches are good but he’s so fecking slow that he won’t even be around to get back into the attacking phase after making the first touches in the buildup

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He can't even win headers because he is too slow to position himself to fight with defenders.

Zoo

Worked his arse off and a great outlet. I was pleased with him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He runs like he's in a dream.

Useless, utterly utterly useless.

Abraxas

Was quite good for half an hour with some tidy link up but as we went to shit in the game so did he. He was nearly playing as a centre back. Just plodding round chasing shadows. As much as I appreciate the endeavour that cannot be right.

I don't think we've created anything for him in 2 games as well which is a major concern around how we're going to attack with his presence in the side.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Excellent game. MOTM ahead of Licha/Varane for me.
Don’t see that at all

he popped up every now and then and held it up a few times but very ineffective and zero threat in the attacking third

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Our players are quite daft for not trying to pick him out in crosses. Disappointed in that. Because he's a good player and obviously a threat

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Not happy with the new fella. Aside from the basics, what does he offer?

Feel like we are playing with 10 men now.

better play with rashford up front if Martial is not fit, or even Bruno as false 9. I prefer we start players like Garnacho, Pellestri or Elanga ahead of Weghorst.

Dinghy

The bar is so low for him that a couple of decent lay-offs and doing feck all besides from that is him "having a good game".

Flying_Heckfish

Much better today, looked like he is starting to figure out the system. He's so slow he has be 100% on it though, because if he presses at the wrong time that's him out of the next attack.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
His immobility has deflated the attack, Garnacho shouldn't be getting dropped for a player we've loaned from Burnley. He can keep it tidy but realistically should be a last resort option.
Are we really going to keep using this as a stick to beat him with.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Was quite good for half an hour with some tidy link up but as we went to shit in the game so did he. He was nearly playing as a centre back. Just plodding round chasing shadows. As much as I appreciate the endeavour that cannot be right.

I don't think we've created anything for him in 2 games as well which is a major concern around how we're going to attack with his presence in the side.
Tough to create for a guy that isn't dangerous in the air, doesn't have any sort of pace, and is awful with the ball at his feet.

SAFMUTD

Early days but I'm glad it's just a loan. He doesn't seem to fit our style at all to slow for transition and we don't play enough balls to the box for him to take advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.