5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

He wasn't bad for his first game for us. But you can see he is not one to dribble with the ball. At all. Laid it off well a couple of times so not a complete donkey. But really slow. Anyway he surely provides us with something different than Martial does. For the good and the bad...

Josep Dowling

Looked like a Burnley striker which is hardly surprising. Bad, desperate signing because our board and owners are so shit.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
I think Maguire would beat him in a foot race.

flappyjay

He was fine.

- Helped hold up the ball and link up play in the 1st half
- Harried and hastled the palace keeper and defenders causing inaccurate passes/clearances
- Dragged 2 (or 3?) defenders for the Bruno goal, leaving Bruno all but free from the penalty spot
- Helped the defense in the 2nd half when we were under pressure. He seems smart too (game IQ), there was a phase where Palace were crossing the ball at a corner/set piece, it got cleared and was unclear if we were gonna get the ball or not. He stayed on the edge of our box and waited to see the outcome before leaving his defensive duties. Most other strikers would jog on to the halfway line and leave us 1 man short of clearing crosses.

Didn't get the ball in the 2nd half but understandable cause we decided to stop playing football in the 2nd half for some reason.
Basically did the general work of a striker. It's not very appreciated in this forum. If the guys either side of him did the average job of a winger maybe he could have also came out with a goal.

youngrell

Some brutal assessments in here. He looked nervous to begin with, but did ok afterwards with some nice link up. There were a few occasions where he needed to be closer to his teammates and seemed to be hiding a little, which surprised me, but hopefully he can improve and make a positive contribution going forward.

Woziak

Looked like a Burnley striker which is hardly surprising. Bad, desperate signing because our board and owners are so shit.
At best should be our third CFW option from the bench when your desperate for a goal and throw in cross after cross in the last 10mins. He’s not and will never be united class. I said numerous occasions our ability to score goals would impact us and now we have a clearer picture; 29 PL goals in 19 Games is simply not good enough we need a prolific goal scorer, this is going to sound controversial but had we kept Cavani, never signed Ronaldo I think he would have become a huge cult hero and this would have been his 3rd and last season here plus he would have given us another 10 goals in the pl, rumours was ETH was desperate to keep him and now we all know why?
Cavani got on well with the players especially martial and Rashford and would have been the perfect role model for Garnaucho. The board and Murtourgh made two huge mistakes appointing Wreck it Ralph and a vanity signing in Christiano.
Most united fans are realists, we were never in a title race, with less than 30 goals scored at the halfway mark however if ETH gets 75-80 points, Top 3-4, wins a domestic cup, has deep run in the Carabo and Fa Cup and knocks Barcelona out then he for me is the manager of the year just because no other top manager has had to work with such imbeciles and owners, here’s hoping the new buyer keep ETH but completely resets the rest of this great club, making sure all the dinosaurs that currently have an involvement in running the club are wiped out and made extinct by hopefully an asteroid rich in wealth as well as common sense .

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As slow as Fellaini. I wouldn’t be surprised if Fellaini is quicker. I think if we have osimhen, we could win it yesterday. There was chance where he could have been through one v one from Casemiro or Eriksen pass I think but he had no pace to get the through ball.

I wouldn’t start Weghorst vs arsenal actually, might use him as super sub instead and start Garnacho. May be also bit too risky to start garnacho in away vs arsenal, I don’t know.:houllier:

astracrazy

I thought he did ok. I felt we actually missed him in the second half. The big issue I can see though is his pace - painful to watch. When he drops deep it then leaves a gap in our attack because he is unable to catch up with play.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Or like Haaland on Saturday... ;)

Seriously though, the striker job when we play like we do, can be a real graveyard shift. We cannot forget that. I've heard people say like 'if we had Haaland instead of Martial in this game, he wouldn't look any better', and it kind of sound a bit ridiculous. But there is an underlying point that still stands.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We don't create anything for a striker like him. We're still very much a counter attacking side.

Pickle85

The whole 'looks like a striker that plays for burnley' comment is reductive and lazy. Vardy played for Fleetwood, Dion Dublin played for Cambridge, Ole played for Molde. Players regularly play for lower level clubs until they make a step up. The fact that he's played for burnley doesn't automatically make him a carthorse.

ArjenIsM3

Not bad, few nice touches and we regressed when he was taken off. Ultimately it was Antony and Rashford who didn't perform yesterday and the whole team suffered because of it

Raven

Thought he was pretty decent but clearly no more than a squad option for us.

spiriticon

I don't expect a lot of goals from him, but I do expect to see defenders get sneakily elbowed in the face or the ribs without drawing a foul.

Get in there son.

NLunited

Good first game. Made intelligent movement in the box, dropped into midfield to help us counter attack, pressed very well. Is faster than he looks. Can hold and shield the ball for lay offs.

Did not get much service yesterday, but he will get goals for sure.

poleglass red

if you watch our goal, he makes a run towards the goal, he pulls the 2 defenders with him, that vacates the space for Bruno to receive the pass and score. It's little things like that, that he will do, that will enable others to step up and score. The main thing is he occupies their central defenders. As debuts go, wasn't great, but he's barely trained with the team. Still think he can be a useful asset, all be it, one that probably doesn't score many, but those around him will.

Chris-Red

He is slow but its deceptive due to his height. At one point I was watching him running forward and thought he was slow. There was a Palace defender not far from him, this player didn't seem slow (not fast either), but they were covering the same distance at the same pace. In saying that the chance he had when he was nearly through, he was struggling.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
The whole 'looks like a striker that plays for burnley' comment is reductive and lazy. Vardy played for Fleetwood, Dion Dublin played for Cambridge, Ole played for Molde. Players regularly play for lower level clubs until they make a step up. The fact that he's played for burnley doesn't automatically make him a carthorse.
No, but he is Burnley's level by the looks of it.

GuyfromAustria

You're not wrong but to be fair, he was 29 when Burnley signed him. :D

Oranges038

You are right. Playing for Burnley doesn't make him a carthorse

The fact that he is a carthorse makes him a carthorse.

Pickle85

You are right. Playing for Burnley doesn't make him a carthorse

The fact that he is a carthorse makes him a carthorse.
I'm not debating whether or not he's a carthorse (I've personally not seen enough of him to judge). I'm just saying that the logic of 'Burnley player = carthorse' is deeply flawed and reductive. The fact he played for Burnley has no relevance to how effective he may or may not be for us.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
“He played for Burnley” is such a shit argument, it that was the case none of you would have signed Kante from Leicester or Caicedo/Trossard from Brighton

Pickle85

“He played for Burnley” is such a shit argument, it that was the case none of you would have signed Kante from Leicester or Caicedo/Trossard from Brighton
Exactly. Such a lazy way of dismissing a player that's barely kicked a ball for us yet.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Poor Wout. His transfer thread seems to have convinced you lot he's a great player. Of course he fecking isn't. He's an injury time hail mary option for you at best who will be a nuisance in the box when your general strategy is similar to what Van Gaal did in the last 15 minutes against Argentina.

He is tall, strong and can score goals, though not really with his head despite his size. If he could do more, you wouldn't have gotten him from Besiktas for 2 million, but signed him from Burnley for 25 million,

mu4c_20le

You're right, it's misleading.

He actually failed for Burnley.

saivet

Poor Wout. His transfer thread seems to have convinced you lot he's a great player. Of course he fecking isn't. He's an injury time hail mary option for you at best who will be a nuisance in the box when your general strategy is similar to what Van Gaal did in the last 15 minutes against Argentina.

He is tall, strong and can score goals, though not really with his head despite his size. If he could do more, you wouldn't have gotten him from Besiktas for 2 million, but signed him from Burnley for 25 million,
:lol: happens a lot but that's the nature of football fans. If Weghorst signed for Chelsea we'd be laughing at Chelsea. I used to convince myself players I wasn't convince on might be good, I even did the same with Moyes but I don't have the energy to be convincing/deluding myself anymore.

crossy1686

career ending

I honestly don't know why people do it to themselves, because they bigged a player up so much they have to come and trash them in the performances thread. You don't get quality strikers for £2m on loan from the Championship. At least he's not Martial, so there's always that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Only time he performed anywhere close to the level of Kante was one season at Wolfsburg.
Only it wasn't just one season. He seemed to score at a consistent level across three seasons. Getting slightly more prolific with each season. Which you'd expect from a striker coming into their prime. 18, 20 then 25 goals.

Oranges038

I'm not debating whether or not he's a carthorse (I've personally not seen enough of him to judge). I'm just saying that the logic of 'Burnley player = carthorse' is deeply flawed and reductive. The fact he played for Burnley has no relevance to how effective he may or may not be for us.
I'm only having a bit of a laugh.

His first game and he wasn't overly terrible, did some good stuff, held the ball up well and made some nice off the ball moves to create space for others. All stuff that a natural centre forward gives you, Cavani was good at it from time to time. Something that's missed when Rashford, Ronaldo and Martial were up there.

Personally I'd prefer to have him up there over Martial every week because of that, he looks to make things happen, he's more active and distractive in and around the box. And because I can't stand looking Martial standing round just waiting for the ball to come to him or for someone else to do something.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Maybe the TV gave a different impression but I was happy with his performance yesterday. His pressing and positioning was a big part to how we were able to win the ball back so quickly yesterday, and whenever he had a pass fired into his feet he moved it on with little bother.

Absolutely no service and his first game back in a top league, think it was absolutely fine.

If he can stay fit for 90% of the loan period and chip in with 3-5 goals, great success given the quality of the player IMO.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
You mean if Ten Hag didn't know him? That's our only transfer strategy since the summer.
Might be wrong, but I don't think he did.

As in - he didn't know him personally/hasn't worked with him before.

That's not to say he's not an "ETH signing", but he's not comparable to certain other players in that regard.

Anyway, most people seem to think we're a bit strapped for cash at the moment. Buying a top player (or even a top prospect) just wasn't going to happen this window. Wout's a pretty cheap option. And, yes, of course you usually get what you pay for - he clearly isn't a top player. But he could be a decent option to have (I mean, if people think he's likely to be much more than that, they're pretty much delusional).

Status
Not open for further replies.