WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Come on then you fecking yanks. Let's be having ya.

Let's not lose to a country who can't even get the name of the sport right.

Jersey Heel

Well, if Germany and Italy win tomorrow, we could have the Allies on one side of the bracket and the Axis on the other.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Don't get how that handball wasn't a penalty, or wasn't at least looked at again by the ref.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Guess England will have to have their asses kicked back to the homeland yet again.
You can't hide in the woods and lose on the field pretty much every time in football. Have to actually play man to man.

(or woman to woman, in this case).

Wal2Fra

If the USA are the best womens football has to offer, then it will remain rubbish for a long time!

Kneejerk reaction, I have really enjoyed this tournament and there has been some great football collectivley ey and individually.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Well the second half nearly got going - it got the crowd going anyway. We were all stood up for the France goal and stayed that way. I'm not quite sure why that penalty appeal didn't go to VAR, it actually looked more credible live than most of the ones we've seen reviewed.

I don't know quite what to say about the football. Scrappy? France not direct enough, not fast enough, passing the ball repeatedly as you approach the box is hard work but if your passing is as inaccurate as France's, then it's just pointless - still their actual shooting was no better. USA were ruthless but uninspiring.

Ultimately the difference was Rapinoe.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I'm actually buzzing for thesemi-final now .. having this world cup has been fantastic.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If the USA are the best womens football has to offer, then it will remain rubbish for a long time!

Kneejerk reaction, I have really enjoyed this tournament and there has been some great football collectivley ey and individually.
There is still a huge huge gulf in terms of technical aspect (ball retention under pressure specially) between the Men's and Women's game. I have a hard time describing the style of football played by France or the USA tonight

RedFish

Well the second half nearly got going - it got the crowd going anyway. We were all stood up for the France goal and stayed that way. I'm not quite sure why that penalty appeal didn't go to VAR, it actually looked more credible live than most of the ones we've seen reviewed.

I don't know quite what to say about the football. Scrappy? France not direct enough, not fast enough, passing the ball repeatedly as you approach the box is hard work but if your passing is as inaccurate as France's, then it's just pointless - still their actual shooting was no better. USA were ruthless but uninspiring.

Ultimately the difference was Rapinoe.
It was never a pen jojojo. (as much as I wish it was).

Wal2Fra

The thing with all the VAR replays is now players expect it and feel hard done by if it isn't looked at.

On saying that, the fact the 2 closest French players forgot about the ball and went screaming to the ref was absolutley shocking! Play to the pissing whistle!!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I can believe that. It's more the absence of the review that surprised me, even if the outcome was to maintain the no-pen. Surely FIFA/IFAB wouldn't have suggested the officials lighten up a bit on the VAR lark, for the QF onwards, particularly for these rules people don't like :smirk:

Grande

Your girls have been a credit to your country and the tournament itself, you should all be very proud. Already looking forward to watching you at the Euros in 2 years.

Can we assume you are a temporary England fan for the remainder of the World Cup? :D
Always had England as a sympathy team when Norway’s out. Particularly when there are United players involved.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is it weird that I have an irrational hatred for the US women's team? I root against them as passionately as I root against Real Madrid.

I can't even explain why I hate them, I just do for some reason. :confused:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Is it weird that I have an irrational hatred for the US women's team? I root against them as passionately as I root against Real Madrid.

I can't even explain why I hate them, I just do for some reason. :confused:
I have it too. They resemble the popular cnut kids in a high school movie. Especially Alex Morgan. I somehow loathe her utterly.

I do like Rapinoe, she seems cool from her interviews. Still, I even rooted for France last night.

montpelier

From the Law as it is, I didn't think that was a penalty. Maybe the VAR crew decided it wasn't & therefore didn't pass it back to the ref to look at. Which still seems like a change compared to what we've seen.

USA look a mean machine.

French passing was poor until the last 1/4, I thought. And USA were getting plenty of women behind the ball certainly after they scored in the 1st half.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can believe that. It's more the absence of the review that surprised me, even if the outcome was to maintain the no-pen. Surely FIFA/IFAB wouldn't have suggested the officials lighten up a bit on the VAR lark, for the QF onwards, particularly for these rules people don't like :smirk:
This. It was no more or less a pen than the 1 we got against Japan. In my eyes neither were a pen, but both worth a look.

The only difference I suppose is that ours was a shot on goal?

montpelier

This. It was no more or less a pen than the 1 we got against Japan. In my eyes neither were a pen, but both worth a look.

The only difference I suppose is that ours was a shot on goal?
This is why (it being a shot on goal) I might have been inclined to give that one.

Although the Rule now ignores that doesn't it? And she was trying to get out of the way - so obvs not intentional.

edit - although lack of intent doesn't matter now if you are waving your arms about (this being the root of the 'stupid' imo)