Zidane watch

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Cant beat a bus parking team with players who have literally no physicality and get bullied off the ball all the time

Idxomer

What a fraud! Not so easy without Ronnie is it?!
It's no easy with a declined midfield, no right back, and an average attack.

It's also not so easy for Ronaldo to win anything significant without his Madrid teammates.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The side has been running on fumes for a while, really. A side like Real Madrid cannot get away with Karim Benzema being the only player who knows how to get double figures in goals for the past 3 seasons. It’s audacious at how bad the rest of the forwards are in that regard.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The side has been running on fumes for a while, really. A side like Real Madrid cannot get away with Karim Benzema being the only player who knows how to get double figures in goals for the past 3 seasons. It’s audacious at how bad the rest of the forwards are in that regard.
Their 100M shiny toy Hazard has given them pretty much nothing. :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If we played them a month ago this would've been an even tie. Alas

We desperately need a world class forward and good depth

mu4c_20le

The old Madrid I know would have started a charm offensive on mbappe when he was at monaco, long before he even decided to move.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yep - I think the CL (and to a lesser degree the EL) are showing how the best English sides are that much more stacked in their squad depth compared to the likes of PSG, Bayern, and Madrid in this current phase of football. The starting XI’s are still just as good, but the injuries and accumulation of covid are straining the other elite European sides just that bit more.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
My god what a fraud! Not so easy without Ronnie is it?!
If Real Madrid win the league this season (and they have a good chance at doing so), Zidane will have won the same amount of league titles without Ronaldo than the latter did in his entire stint at Real Madrid.

sdb4884

We should be trying everything to get him in
Upgrade on Ole without doubt but also suffers from shit selection policy and lack of tactical nous. His three peat winning side a few years back could have won on it's own. I don't see Zidane coaching next season, he might take on a National team role or something after the World Cup.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Upgrade on Ole without doubt but also suffers from shit selection policy and lack of tactical nous. His three peat winning side a few years back could have won on it's own. I don't see Zidane coaching next season, he might take on a National team role or something after the World Cup.
I'd ideally want manager who is more of a coacher of teams without a doubt. But if we can't have that then happy to take someone with his winning pedigree over our current manager. Not that it'll happen. Those trophies are his

But no his three peat team would have won feck all on their own. Zidane was the one to deliver two league titles and 3 CLs in a short space of time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Guy who coached rings around almost everyone in europe for years lacks tactical nous....ok

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Guy who coached rings around almost everyone in europe for years lacks tactical nous....ok
how do you rate Zidane? Is he at Pep's level like the trophy haul would suggest or was he just fortunate with the players he had?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It'd be nice if we at least tried to get this guy. Unlikely but better than accepting the ongoing disasterman in charge.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Will probably take over Juve. Flick gone to Germany. Nagelsmann to Bayern. Allegri to Madrid. Who knows with Conte, but I don't think he's the type of manager we would go for anyway if we were to replace Ole ever.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If he had continued, I would not have mind, as long as they provided the tools to clean the dressing room,
however I have to admit that in a 51% I wanted to change the coach.
Many madridistas will recognize the tendency to alternate tough tactical coaches with lighter ones.

I'm going to go on and on but there is an article in a quite famous Madrid magazine that deals with this. https://www.lagalerna.com/ciclo-kar...iclo kármico madridista es,Happy y Asador (1).
It describes them like this:
-El caudillo (the warlord):
order, work, high demands, involvement of the players. Tactical and meritocratic profile. Examples of this would be Capello, Mourinho or even Benitez.
This period is usually successful, it helps the momentum but in its last moments there are problems with the press, players and criticism of the game style.
-The happy:
close and easygoing character, freedom for the players, support from the press. The footballers spurred on by that freedom redouble their efforts. Examples could be Valdano,del Bosque, Schuster, and Ancelotti.
-Asador: (grill)
It refers to the restaurants where footballers and the press usually meet. Loss of control of the dressing room, cronyism, self-management, night parties, etc.
In short, the decline of the happy era, which ends with the search for another "warlord" .

In between there are false warlords: Luxemburgo, or even Benitez again or nostalgia for the warlord, like the return of Beenhakker or Toshack.
Logically it has no basis and it is not mathematical but there is a certain trend.
It is difficult to define Zidane, I think he was warlord and happy at the same time, but supposing that now is the time to clean the dressing room, and find someone strict, do you think Allegri is the right person? He has the necessary strength, the charisma or he will be a "false warlord".
In short, if the team plays a little showy football, will he be able to get patience without being Zidane?

el3mel

Zidane will go to Juve.

Conte will go to Real Madrid.

Allegri will go to Inter.

Pretty obvious moves I believe.

Halftrack

He's good, but I'm fairly certain that he's stated on several occasions that he never really wanted to be a manager, and that it's not something he pictures himself doing long-term.

He took the Madrid job (twice) because he loves the club. I can picture him taking the Juve job due to his history with them, or the France job when it becomes available. I don't think he'd ever come here, even if we were on top and favourites for every competition we entered.

Nori-

Good manager, not great though. People will point to the 3 champions league wins, but he had arguably the best player in the world and a smashing squad. Could he have won 3 back to back CL with PSG or Bayern? Probably not.

Eddy_JukeZ

Good manager, not great though. People will point to the 3 champions league wins, but he had arguably the best player in the world and a smashing squad. Could he have won 3 back to back CL with PSG or Bayern? Probably not.
He's not the only manager to ever have an amazing squad and Ronaldo.

He's the only one to win the CL 3 straight times.

You don't do that from sheer luck.

He's a great manager.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's the perfect manager for a team of big ego, big name players like Real Madrid. Tactically he doesn’t offer anything special. His record at Castilla was bang average, nothing to indicate how good he would be. Definitely got the best out of big names.

I think he'd do well at PSG or Juve.

Lee565

Looks like zidane is getting the potchettino treatment from the deluded pro ole fans.

If zidane isn't good enough then I don't know who is?

GenericUtdfan

We passed on Pep, Klopp, Conte, Tuchel and Pochettino.

I really hope we're considering Zidane.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What a baffling post.

Nobody has won 3 CLs in a row except Zidane. So why is his hypothetical inability to do something no one else has done before evidence that he is "not great"?

how do you rate Zidane? Is he at Pep's level like the trophy haul would suggest or was he just fortunate with the players he had?
Zidane is a very good manager. I don't think he's the finished article, though, he's still learning. He only has 5 years of management experience.

In his second stint he's done well (87 and 84 points in La Liga, the best-performing club over two years and won 1 title) even though the squad has a glaring flaw: only one person in it can score goals.

Last edited: