Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
That's probably one of his only few flicks that have not been totally and utterly pointless.

wr8_utd

:'(
As long as he gets the assist/goal, who cares if it's intentional. We're a team who find it incredibly hard to put the ball in the back of the net so I'll take whatever we get, intentional or not.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
His foot had the intention of assisting his boot to score. There, mystery solved.
You make no sense at all. The two situations are completely different, so no use scrounging up YouTube clips from other games. I've watched this one about twenty times and don't see any indication that he was going for goal. His body simply wasn't positioned for a shot on goal. He flicked the ball on with the complete awareness that Mata might get on the end of it. Just look at his reaction after it goes in - no sign of disappointment that his "backheel attempt on goal" didn't go in, and complete jubilation that his flick to Mata was successful.

Fracture90

You make no sense at all. The two situations are completely different, so no use scrounging up YouTube clips from other games. I've watched this one about twenty times and don't see any indication that he was going for goal. His body simply wasn't positioned for a shot on goal. He flicked the ball on with the complete awareness that Mata might get on the end of it. Just look at his reaction after it goes in - no sign of disappointment that his "backheel attempt on goal" didn't go in, and complete jubilation that his flick to Mata was successful.
So instead of being selfish like he was for 80 minutes and in a great chance to score he chooses to risk and pass it to a teammate that might be there to flick it in? Even tho Mata was behind and there was a defender between them.

Ofc he won't look disappointed dude, his team scored ffs.

Dobbs

Haha you never seen a centre forward using that exact flick to score when they've just got ahead of the ball?

One of my favourite United goals is Sharpe against Barcelona in '94 (I think). Using that exact same technique. I think Rooney scored one last season in almost identical fashion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Haha you never seen a centre forward using that exact flick to score when they've just got ahead of the ball?

One of my favourite United goals is Sharpe against Barcelona in '94 (I think). Using that exact same technique. I think Rooney scored on last season in almost identical fashion.
I've seen it plenty of times - and they're usually positioned to attempt it. Zlatan's body wasn't even close to being in the right position to do it, therefore his only hope was a flick to Mata.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Seemed abit rusty but likewise, impossible for him to make an impact when so little space for him to operate.

In the end, he decided the game with his assist, so did what he was expected to do.

He now has a good rest with suspension and international week which comes at just the right time for him.

Hoping he comes back to charge us towards CL qualification.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So instead of being selfish like he was for 80 minutes and in a great chance to score he chooses to risk and pass it to a teammate that might be there to flick it in? Even tho Mata was behind and there was a defender between them.

Ofc he won't look disappointed dude, his team scored ffs.
Weird logic. Even if a player is generally selfish, that doesn't mean they never pass the ball. Bizarre to say the least.

Fracture90

Weird logic. Even if a player is generally selfish, that doesn't mean they never pass the ball. Bizarre to say the least.
Dude just stop. You're making yourself look ridiculous and it's not even funny anymore.

I actually give him credit when due, but your bias knows no boundaries.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
We can agree to disagree. I didn't remotely think he was going for goal. His body wasn't positioned for it, but it was positioned to flick it to the next player.
Now you know I luvs ya R! :D
But to definitively say Ibra was flicking that ball on to Mata is a bit of a stretch, even for me who is only marginally less in love with the big Swede than you :angel:
I would argue he was flicking it towards net and hoping that if it didn't go in, he knew Mata would do his best to knock it past the keeper and we'd grab the lead.

Either way, like someone else said, we are lucky to have the big Zlatan; let's just enjoy what he brings to the table virtually every week. And remember, without that "flick" the defender would have cleared it and I'm not sure how we would have done with another 30 minutes!

RedMaestro

That's probably one of his only few flicks that have not been totally and utterly pointless.
This is one of the best things about Ibra, he does these things on purpose. Sure it doesn't always work but it's not exactly easy to do what he does.

OldTrevil

He got the assist, ok game in general. However his selfishness today was very frustrating, the game could have been far easier had he slipped two easy balls to Mkhi for tap ins. Also had a chance to put him through on goal and instead tried to dribble two guys and lost it, as well as a easy cut back to Mata instead of a very difficult chip that missed the bar. Sad to say as he's our top scorer but I also feel our play will improve once he's done here, we're on the cusp of having a devastating counter attack and high tempo forward play like in the last years of RVN.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Dude just stop. You're making yourself look ridiculous and it's not even funny anymore.

I actually give him credit when due, but your bias knows no boundaries.
That's pretty rich for someone with an obvious agenda against one of our players.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Now you know I luvs ya R! :D
But to definitively say Ibra was flicking that ball on to Mata is a bit of a stretch, even for me who is only marginally less in love with the big Swede than you :angel:
I would argue he was flicking it towards net and hoping that if it didn't go in, he knew Mata would do his best to knock it past the keeper and we'd grab the lead.

Either way, like someone else said, we are lucky to have the big Zlatan; let's just enjoy what he brings to the table virtually every week. And remember, without that "flick" the defender would have cleared it and I'm not sure how we would have done with another 30 minutes!
:D

Witchking

It worked out well when we done the same thing with Ruud. Problem with some of you is you're too narrow minded and can't see the bigger picture. .
This is correct. But Ruud seemed to be more of a team player even when he was selfish in terms of scoring. Zlatan deserves a lot of credit for the way he has handled himself and scored so many. But he seems to slow down the game and has a lot of bad touches and gives the ball away too cheaply and then walks back instead of trying to win the ball.

He has his qualities but we really need someone who can offer more and is more lethal in front of goal than Zlatan is.

nii putu

Who else is happy that we'll not be seeing Zlatan for the next 20 days. :):):)

Football is supposed to be simple, but some players just make it look so hard.

ZLatan made me go :mad:

stevoc

Him and Rooney have the most if I remember correctly.
Yeah just checked Rooney is still ahead on 10 and Zlatan has 9, which is a strange stat when you think about it considering the vastly different minutes each has played this season.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Amongst all the horrible football, still thought he was our best outfield player and only player who looked likely to do something. He's not the reason why rest of the players can't bring the ball out quickly, watch how slow our transition is from defence to attack. I get it he's not quick but what is stopping our defenders and midfielders to speed up the play? For the folks obsessed with pace, Rashford has searing pace. How many goals have you seen us score on counter with Rashford in the side? He's spooned most of the chances when he has been put through. Just like having a fast forward allows a team to play more through balls, a target man brings rest of the attackers into play. Why do people always discount that? Don't they watch our games to see how teams set up against us, it's identical in PL. Where would you play through balls if the space is just not there?

Just take a look at Ibra's goal and assists, he basically plays a role every time we score or get a result. We'd be well and truly fecked without him.

Art

Art the artist
Did fine today. Just needs to trust Mkhi more. Could've had couple more if he opted to pass early on.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think he tried to score. Every time somebody crosses to his feet he tries the exact same thing. If it went in everyone would say he meant it.

He's ridiculously selfish. I think he's pretty detrimental to our attack as a unit more often than not, but then he gets goals. So i don't know how to judge him really.

Would we play more fluid and get more goals as a whole without him? Maybe. It's a bit like the Van Nistelrooy situation in his final years.

RedMaestro

Did fine today. Just needs to trust Mkhi more. Could've had couple more if he opted to pass early on.
Maybe off-topic. Don't know if I saw wrong a couple of times, but did Mkhi "avoid" passing Ibra a couple of times? A serious question, not meaning anything negative by it, just curious. Hope someone can answer my question. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.